The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:29 AM
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
This is the most random & pointless thread I've seen iv a long time. LOL.
Sorry dude. But i think your on your own with this one.
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:25 AM
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Nature: Naughty
Yes I do unfortunately. I don't want to, but some Pokémon are just plain ridiculous. Unlike a lot of people I like Pokémon that are man made either on purpose or accident (Ex. Voltorb/Electrode, Porygon, Mewtwo). Most Pokémon are based on animals which is cool, but it's cool that things are switched up and Pokémon that aren't so natural exist.

My HUGE problem though is Pokémon that appear man made that appear naturally in the wild! Garbage bags and ice cream cones are man made things, products that you can buy at the store. If Pokémon were real, there would be no reason at all why one would appear as something humans invented naturally. If there is a garbage and ice cream cone Pokémon, then there might as well be other product Pokémon! Pencil, mattress, potato chips, anything! With the way things are going those things could eventually become Pokémon! Is that what people want? It seems like with each new generation the Pokémon get less and less realistic. Yes I know Pokémon aren't real, but I'd like to think if they were, they would resemble animals found in nature.
I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemasta92 View Post
Yes I do unfortunately. I don't want to, but some Pokémon are just plain ridiculous. Unlike a lot of people I like Pokémon that are man made either on purpose or accident (Ex. Voltorb/Electrode, Porygon, Mewtwo). Most Pokémon are based on animals which is cool, but it's cool that things are switched up and Pokémon that aren't so natural exist.

My HUGE problem though is Pokémon that appear man made that appear naturally in the wild! Garbage bags and ice cream cones are man made things, products that you can buy at the store. If Pokémon were real, there would be no reason at all why one would appear as something humans invented naturally. If there is a garbage and ice cream cone Pokémon, then there might as well be other product Pokémon! Pencil, mattress, potato chips, anything! With the way things are going those things could eventually become Pokémon! Is that what people want? It seems like with each new generation the Pokémon get less and less realistic. Yes I know Pokémon aren't real, but I'd like to think if they were, they would resemble animals found in nature.
I have actually talk to some people who hated that a good amount of the Unova pokemon were based of animals. So yes, there is a good number of people who do want that. I like the ice cream pokemon was actually one of my favorites in the 5th gen and I would love to see more food based pokemon, it changes things up as you said. ANd just because they are man made in real life, does not mean they are man made. For example:

This is Vanillite's Dex entry.
Quote:
Theoretically, this Pokémon formed from icicles bathed in energy from the morning sun. Their breath is -58 F.

Last edited by Iceman3317; August 4th, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old August 4th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Cassino
Møderator

Quote:

I agree with your sentiment, but a thought: maybe they are essentially artificial, like real 'designer pets'; although that doesn't necessarily explain their distribution in the wild, neither is found far from civilisation. A lot of things about Pokemon lore go unexplained so you can come up with any justification you want for almost anything.
Old August 4th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Austin1395
Dark-type Trainer

Nature: Serious
There is no set definition saying that these are the qualifying appearances and traits of a Pokemon. A Pokemon is a Pokemon. Are some designs less to my liking? Most definitely. Do I consider something not to be a Pokemon just because it looks kind of dumb? Not at all, that's just foolish. I love all Pokemon, whether it is aesthetically pleasing or not. You cannot deny Pokemon.
Old August 4th, 2013, 05:31 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

I havent since gen 3. I like them all
Old August 4th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
I've always identified the difference between Pokemon and people, although I found Gothitelle to be half-human half-Pokemon, (It certainly is one horrible looking Pokemon) it is still a Pokemon.

Any species is a Pokemon if they can only say their name, and that they don't have human-colored skin.
Old August 4th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Riolucario11
Bubbly Wubbly Pony Waifu

I do not deny them of being Pokemon, more or less wish they were a bit better of a Pokemon.

Flametalon, for example. It's an over decent Pokemon from the looks of it, but one thing urks me. The name. I find it horribly uncreative, especially from the likes of Pokemon's standards, but I do not tell myself it isn't a Pokemon.

~Madness~?
Old August 11th, 2013, 03:44 PM
ErikaInRainbowCity
Everyday I'm Tumblin'

Nature: Hasty
I think there are some designs I will have to get used to (Tangrowth just... weirds me out) but I consider them all to be Pokemon. The fact that GameFreak still continues to push the envelope to more than 649 species of Pokemon is just a huge accomplishment. I mean let's be honest, how many of us could come up with 649 different new pokemon? I'm sure that once you reach about 200 or so you'll start creating Pokemon based on inanimate options around your living room as well '

PhotoSYNTHESIS
Old August 11th, 2013, 04:58 PM
*Icecold*
Bow down to Queen Meowstic

Design doesn't matter at all to me, it's the quality and stats of the Pokemon.

However, if I know literally nothing about a Pokemon I usually judge my design. Ugly Pokemon are bad, pretty Pokemon are decent. This however is not always the case.

I'm waiting for all of Generation 6's Pokemon to be released so I can judge by stats and movepool.

Sometimes, I can't help but point out a Pokemon's design though. Like, Klink. It's literally two gears! It's moveset and stats aren't actually that bad though, so I may use one. However, it's design really sucks.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:40 PM
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1395 View Post
There is no set definition saying that these are the qualifying appearances and traits of a Pokemon. A Pokemon is a Pokemon. Are some designs less to my liking? Most definitely. Do I consider something not to be a Pokemon just because it looks kind of dumb? Not at all, that's just foolish. I love all Pokemon, whether it is aesthetically pleasing or not. You cannot deny Pokemon.
So do you think it would be okay for there to be an iPod Pokémon, box of cereal Pokémon, toilet Pokémon, etc. that isn't man made that appears in nature?
I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Cat

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Cat
Pokémon are Pokémon, there's no two ways about it. They come up with over 650 individual designs and names and for what they have produced is pretty respectable IMO.

Old August 13th, 2013, 09:30 AM
*Icecold*
Bow down to Queen Meowstic

I sort of agree with pokemastah... If a Pokemon is literally a walking, talking inanimate object, that doesn't make much sense unless there is some background information on why the Pokemon is what it is.

For example, Vanilluxe is definitly Pokemon material. It's not ice cream, it just looks like it! It's actually 100% ice in a ice cream shape. That's original!

Muk is just a puddle of slime... that came to life due to access to moonlight.

Klink however is just two gears that have two faces. Humans didn't fuse it together. It didn't come to life. It's just two gears.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 15th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Green Stache

I didn't like the Black/White pokemon very much at all. It's not because I'm og, it just didn't feel like Pokemon, plus, I found some of them to just look stupid or ugly.
I will admit most of them are creative designs and such, but I dunno, I just didn't like them, some were okay though I admit. (Some of Pearl/Diamond/Platinum didn't appeal to me either, like Probopass..)

I haven't really seen much of X & Y so I don't know yet about them.
Old August 15th, 2013, 03:06 AM
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Nature: Adamant
Not once.
If it's called a Pokémon, and it was created by GameFreak, and is in a Pokémon game, then it's a Pokémon, end of, no debate.

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old August 15th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Lucky1Yena
Just some guy

I don't really see how you can say a Pokémon isn't a Pokémon.

If it's in a "Pokémon" titled game, can be battled with and can be captured or obtained in a Pokéball (or variation of that item) then it's a Pokémon, regardless of the generation it first appears in.
Patiently awaiting final versions of these hacks: TheJohto Legacy series - starting with the most complete one, the Christmas hack, Pokémon Liquid Crystal, Pokémon Crystal Dust, Pokémon DarkViolet, Pokémon Prism
Old August 15th, 2013, 04:17 AM
Urutsune

It is a shame that there are surprisingly many people who take new Pokemon so harshly. Though I am glad that in this thread majority does not feel that way. I can understand that new thing can feel strange at first like oh okay this is Pokemon now too. It may feel weird and they did not registered in your memory yet that "hey dude, those are Pokemon. They always was and always will be". But I can promise that just tackle the game and beat it, for the time you reach the end they all will become part of that memory too. You won't regret it!
For me I could never not accept new Pokemon, it is just impossible. There are generic looking ones and some bizarre ones too, though that actually reminds me animals in real nature what makes me happy. There are your simple animals and there are also ones that make you say "that is an animal? AND IT IS REAL?". In my opinion we need the simple Pokemon like Bunnelby and Mankey but we also need the strange ones like Garbodor and Spoink. Remember also that a Pokemon can really be anything too they not necessarily have to resemble an regular animal, the variety and possibilities what makes the Pokemon world more interesting. You can never know what to expect because anything is possible. But no matter how simple or weird a Pokemon may be it will always just makes the Pokemon wildlife more interesting and complete. That is how I feel.
Old August 15th, 2013, 07:35 AM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

If they are in the game, and they can be caught in the wild or battled by an opposing Trainer. They're Pokémon. End of story.
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:14 AM
naruck23
Plague

Nature: Relaxed
I love them all, especially new. Pokemon are supposed to be wierd, and sometimes ugly.
That's what makes pokemon awesome and diverse, and I accept any design, well, I don't like pokemon based off innanimate objects but the others are really interesting.
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:14 PM
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Okay I take back my previous statement about denying that some Pokémon are Pokémon, but I just personally think some are silly. I'm not against Pokémon like Muk or Voltorb because there's a story/explanation to them. They were accidently made in the Pokémon universe by humans (same with Mewtwo who is AWESOME). But if an ice cream cone or garbage in a garbage bag, which are inventions, products you can buy at the store, are made into Pokémon with no explanation except for that they are just Pokémon, I'm not a fan of that...
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
Sometimes I do, but that's just me. But after awhile, they will grow into me and cling on to me so much after knowing them for like a few months, they automatically gets listed as a Pokemon in my books.

Just my story.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:29 AM
Doctor
Allons-y!

Nature: Naive
Haha, no. Not nowadays. I've accepted that the weirdest creations can pass as pokémon.

But once upon a time there were 151 pokémon in the world, and my friend showed me the so called "Silver" version where he had something called a "Steelix" that was supposedly an evolution of Onix. I laughed in his face and called it fake. Why would anyone bother to evolve Onix? And a "steel" type? Bah!

And then I realized that it was actually true and newer generations just kept coming. Oh well. :]

trust me, I am the Doctor !
Auspistice | Matesprit | Moirail | Kismesis

Old August 16th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Peitharchia
// and finite incantatem

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Peitharchia
Absolutely not. Why would I do that? xD Regardless of how they look or behave, Pokémon are Pokémon and they always will be. There are a lot of Pokémon that I personally don't like, though. Few of them are Muk, Magcargo, Exploud, Vanilluxe, Garbodor, and Trubbish.

Old August 16th, 2013, 12:30 PM
TreeKangaroo
Destroy gligar13vids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cruise View Post
After Diamond and Pearl I just gave up on Game Freaks new design on Pokemon. They just look so fake and unbelievable. I guess I'd rather see animal looking pokemon rather monster looking Pokemon.
Monster looking pokemon huh? Well guess what? Pokemon=Pocket Monsters!

And I disagree. And there were non animal looking pokemon in gen 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

And for gen 6 there's a few like honedge for example.
Old August 16th, 2013, 01:05 PM
sonoskay
Cain

Nature: Calm
No, all Pokemon are Pokemon.. i mean there is one pokemon i think SHOULDN'T be a Pokemon... but it is and i accept that, and always have. and personally design wise i loved gen 5. i don't understand where a lot of the dislike comes from.

Quote:
Okay I take back my previous statement about denying that some Pokémon are Pokémon, but I just personally think some are silly. I'm not against Pokémon like Muk or Voltorb because there's a story/explanation to them. They were accidently made in the Pokémon universe by humans (same with Mewtwo who is AWESOME). But if an ice cream cone or garbage in a garbage bag, which are inventions, products you can buy at the store, are made into Pokémon with no explanation except for that they are just Pokémon, I'm not a fan of that...
I for the most part agree with you.. But to me a garbage bag kinda makes sence.. if you use mutatoin and toxic sludge as a means to justify.

Last edited by sonoskay; August 16th, 2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links