The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 17th, 2013 (07:31 AM).
Azure Rathalδs
tumblr famous doesn't count
Community Supporter

As someone who really doesn't like most of the pokémon introduced in gen 5, I feel that a few don't fit well into the pokémon art style (Goofy ice cream cone, not-digifused Kuyrem and Haxours come to mind). At least generation 4 didn't diverge from the main art style too much. (e.g the creation trio have designs reminiscent of the Beldum line, which were not too overdesigned and didn't have random spikes and colours on them))

I don't really like this argument too much, although we do get used to the general design of Pokémon: Fairly basic looking and vibrant. (two things I almost never call gen 5 pokémon)
Old August 18th, 2013 (01:59 PM).
Fernando Torres
Class on grass
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
They are all Pokémon some less awesome than others, but we all need to acknowledge that Mudkip is the best one of them all :3
Old August 18th, 2013 (06:45 PM).
Ckbruin

Nature: Quirky
When Gen 5 came out, I kept saying, "These are not real Pokemon ermahgerd", but after actually buying Black 2 and playing it, I came to a sound conclusion:

Gen 5 Pokemon are more creatively-designed than earlier gens.

Although, yes, the ice cream cone and garbage bag are obvious exceptions, I find most of the Gen 5 Pokemon acceptable as Pokemon, and some I find even well-designed and thought-out.

In terms of Gen 6, I see this same problem arising for myself when the games come out. I mean, I've heard rumors of Pokemon designed as various foods...*twitch* o_e
Old August 18th, 2013 (11:37 PM).
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
This Garbodor hate is annoying. For what it is, it's certainly better than Muk, who's a pile of goo that evolves from a smaller pile of goo.

And Vanillite isn't ice cream. It's snow flakes that look like ice cream. Originally, ice creams were made of ice, not milk. I thought it was an interesting idea.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!
Old August 18th, 2013 (11:53 PM).
Brendino
Oh good grief.

Nature: Quiet
Any time that we get newly introduced Pokemon, I never feel that they shouldn't be considered Pokemon, because nothing's going to change it at that point. Sure, I may find some of them ridiculous or even forget that some of them actually exist, but a Pokemon's a Pokemon.

Except for Tentacool. Is it too late to un-create it by now?

(reduced activity through december, poke me if you need me)
Old August 19th, 2013 (02:02 AM).
The Dark Avenger
The Flyest Avenger

Nature: Adamant

At first I was like, "really?!" Now, I actually think Garbador is kinda cute. The design is actually really nice, especially for trash!

There is no excuse for some pokemon though, that I hardly consider pokemon.
- Hitmontop (A bit too literally with the concept.)
- Unown (No explanation needed)
- Claydol (Zelda baddy?)
- Nosepass (A rock with a huge nose?)
- Chimecho (Do I need to say what it looks like!!! It's just so GROSS!)
- The legendary Golems. (No eyes or facial features, they just look like PokeStudious characters, rather than acutual pokemon.)
- Spiritomb - this just looks like a fakemon.
- Most of gen 4 add-ons. (Tangrowth, Lickilicky, Togekiss, Rhyperior, Probopass, Rotom-Forms, Magnezone, ect.) Way to ruin some classic pokemon families with rotund uniform shaped pokemon with zero sense of taste. This is why gen 4 is the my least favorite.
- Vanilite Line (I love how people defend this, it's actually a rock with ice on it. No, that's the concept's after thought, it's just a floating icecream cone. They could have done this so many other ways to appear like an icecream cone in essense without literally appearing as one. GF's taste was just so bland on this one. Pun intended.)
- Ferrothorn - (It's like a ufo with three tentables with spike disks, and it's just odd. The pre-evo is not any better. It just has a terrible color palette, and looks very forced in the steel/grass typing. )
- Amoonguss - (This thing actually grosses me out for some reason. I hate the eyes and bulging hand balls. It's a shame, since Foongus is so cute. The concept is actually very nice, better than voltorb.)
Kyurem fusions - WHAT A CONVOLUTED MESS! They look like a terrible fusemon that someone would no taste would make.
(Don't get me wrong. I love love love gen 5, but there were a few pokemon that stuck out, not in a good way.)
- Honedge (This is the only bad egg of the new bunch. It's a sword with an eye that holds onto a sheath. I think it is GREAT sheathed, and it's ruined when unsheathed. )

These are all of the pokemon that I not only dislike, but I think they detract from the game. For instance I don't really prefer Raticate, but it's nice to have variety. These pokemon have concepts that just take away a small amount of enjoyment when I see them since they don't have a pokemon aesthetic. 28 of 649 aint bad though at all.
Old August 19th, 2013 (06:41 AM).
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Bashes Vanillite for looking like ice cream.

Avatar is the candy cotton Pokémon.

There's a contradiction there.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!
Old August 19th, 2013 (07:39 AM).
Shizzable
The Derpiest One Of All

I really dislike a few of the new gen 6 Pokemon, and deny those are Pokemon. I'm sure that I'll get over it eventually, but for now I don't consider Flabébé, Swirlix, Spritzee, and Dedenne real Pokemon.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm still really excited for Gen 6
Old August 28th, 2013 (01:32 AM).
Fiery Dash

While some of the new Pokemon (particularly starting from Gen III) are getting colorful and receiving complicating designs as Generations goes by.
Sure there are Pokemon that I hate or hated,
though I never did have that intense feeling -- 'Yuck! That is not a Pokemon',
nor like my brother says that they look like Digimon.

For the past Generations when new Pokemon debuted,
I have a very welcoming attitude to all of them.
However there some Gen VI Pokemon that quite hit my nerves...
Not as tense as thinking that they should not be a Pokemon,
but it's nearly as close to that feeling!
It's more like I felt they were overly design or could be better.

Hitlist:
Chespin, Litleo, Swirlix
Old August 28th, 2013 (10:35 AM).
atomtanned

Honestly, there are Pokemon whose design I hate in Gen I, and there are Pokemon whose design I like in Gen V. Just because you don't like a design doesn't mean that it's not a Pokemon...

Also, when people who complain about inanimate objects or trash... Magnemite is a magnet! Grimer & Muk are just PILES OF GOO. I don't understand why people get so upset, Pokemon have had designs like this from literally the very beginning of the franchise.

Friend Codes
X: Serena {2638-0348-2480}
Y: Allyson {2638-0348-2480}
HeartGold: Lyra {3526-6386-3822}

Challenges:
Pokemon Y Wonderlocke

tumblr || backlog

Old August 29th, 2013 (07:50 AM).
lemonhihi
S1lv3rRay

Nature: Modest
Its just that the pokemon after gen 3 are all getting thinner and without a proper "body"..

Anyone got the same feeling?

My Trade Review

Take a good look ^__^

Old August 29th, 2013 (07:20 PM).
Flushed
Tomato Soup
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
For me this goes along the same lines as people only loving the nostalgic Pokemon. No offense, but get over it. New Pokemon are coming out, and I'd be pretty shocked if you can say with absolute certainty that there are zero designs you like out of all the new ones.
Old August 30th, 2013 (09:30 AM).
treats

Never! I won't deny that sometimes I'm taken by surprise when I see new pokemon, but I really hate it when people are rude to new pokemon, and they need to get over themselves, to be honest
Old August 30th, 2013 (09:36 AM).
Sydian
1000 forms of fear

Nature: Timid
No. If something is weird to me initially, I know that it'll just take time to sink in. No point in throwing the "omg they're running out of ideas!" or "these are digimon!" crap all over the place. If you really don't like the designs anymore, no one is forcing you to play or like the series anymore and you're more than welcome to leave the fandom. We won't miss you.
Old August 30th, 2013 (09:51 AM). Edited August 30th, 2013 by Sabrewulf238.
Sabrewulf238

No, that would be silly.

The concept of a pokemon is always evolving. A pokemon is what gamefreak and masuda says is a pokemon. There's a certain quality evident in all pokemon though, it's clear care and thought has been put into them.....even if I'm not personally keen on them. Call me when they reveal a black squiggle pokemon called "aqsprztygapff" and we'll talk about what doesn't seem like a pokemon.

We shouldn't expect to like every pokemon and we should recognise that a pokemon we don't like was just not made to appeal to us. Gamefreak have to try and please everyone with their designs and people's tastes are bound to clash with each other.
Old August 31st, 2013 (09:53 AM).
EJ Nero
OshaPower!

Nature: Bold
No, and frankly I don't get the point of people who do. You may not like the design of some or all of the newer Pokemon, but regardless of your opinion they're Pokemon. I mean, what else are they if they're not Pokemon? They have specific types, natures, EVs & IVs, specific move and learn sets, can evolve or not, can battle, can be traded, *most* can be breeded and most importantly are part of the game that's you know called Pokemon. No offense to anyone who thinks like this, but that's just completely stupid. It's probably the only thing that grinds my gears about our so called Pokemon "lovers". No one has to love every single Pokemon or generation, but how can you say you like or love Pokemon if you can't even slightly appreciate them all as a whole?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links