Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Reload this Page Liking characters with not-so-likable traits

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Old July 25th, 2013 (05:20 AM). Edited July 25th, 2013 by LORD ANTE.

Forgive me for being vague here but I've rarely ever hated any fictional character with a red hot passion. I can dislike them when they're embody certain archetypes like The Scrappy, the Mean Girl, or the Bully yet at other times, I can like certain characters because they have these hatable traits to them.

Maybe it's because I acknowledge that I'm suppose to hate them or that I'm so appalled by their cattiness that I actually admire the lengths they go (Seto Kaiba from Yu Gi Oh for one). Perhaps it's because I'm watching them and don't have to interact with them in real life or maybe my obnoxious little sister has taught me that it really can't get any worse that her.

Anyone else had this occur to them or am I just an glitch in the system?
Old July 25th, 2013 (08:07 AM).
Kariyai.
CS

I think this sums up my love of 90% of the Game of Thrones characters. Most of them have terrible traits, but I either like them anyway or find myself really interested in the character.

One example, Cersei Lannister - she's a horrible woman but a fantastic character.
art by Churaka
Old July 25th, 2013 (08:25 AM).
CS

I can't like unlikeable characters unless I can sympathize with them a little, get in their head and understand their motives. More important that that though is their having some redeeming quality.

I'll use Hannibal as a great example. He eats people, messes with people's heads, and is generally a horrible human being. But he seems to care for Will/Clarice (depending on which incarnation) and that's something you can relate to. He's also got a lot of problems, you know? All these secrets he has to keep, and so on. That's something you can understand.

Now, an unlikeable character who just hates someone and has all the power? Pffft, boring, uninteresting. I can't stand shallow characters like that.

deviantart blog pair
Old July 25th, 2013 (12:35 PM).
delete and rewrite me
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Timid
Of course the first person that came to mind is the same one you used as an example, haha. Kaiba is such a terrible person, especially in the manga. He's borderline insane. And he's just creepy and obsessive. But he's so freakin' sassy and I can't hate him completely because of that just omg. He is sass master.

happily received
Old July 25th, 2013 (12:45 PM).
Will you notice?
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
Charlie Sheen from Two And A Half Men. He sleeps with numerous girls, drinks so much that his liver is damaged for over 2 other lifespan, is a jackass at some times. But that's what makes him so awesome and it's why people loved him in the show. If he wasn't the jackass he was in the show, I don't think people would've loved him
Old July 25th, 2013 (12:55 PM). Edited July 25th, 2013 by KriegStein.
Nuclear Reactor

Nature: Lonely
Unlikable characters that I like? Nobunaga Oda from Sengoku Basara. He is just evil. He kills everyone in his way, uses his allies as bait and then leaves them to die, lets his right hand man kill his sisters husband, lets his sister kill his wife (after that he comments how useless she was to him) and finaly kills his sister... I mean...damn! Talk about going beyond evil. Why do I like him then? Well he is the most badass character in the series...with the most badass theme song. But I also have studied his history so much that I can apriciate this kind of interpritation of him.

Old July 25th, 2013 (03:39 PM).
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nature: Serious
Quote originally posted by SwiftSign:
I think this sums up my love of 90% of the Game of Thrones characters. Most of them have terrible traits, but I either like them anyway or find myself really interested in the character.

One example, Cersei Lannister - she's a horrible woman but a fantastic character.
Same. Also goes with Lord Voldemort in Harry Potter. Horrible wizard, but a brilliant character.
Old July 25th, 2013 (05:45 PM).

Quote originally posted by Sydian:
Of course the first person that came to mind is the same one you used as an example, haha. Kaiba is such a terrible person, especially in the manga. He's borderline insane. And he's just creepy and obsessive. But he's so freakin' sassy and I can't hate him completely because of that just omg. He is sass master.
Recalling Death-T, I can't blame you. But Kaiba wouldn't be Kaiba without his massive, sun-eclipsing ego.
Old August 6th, 2013 (01:00 PM).
<insert witty eloquence here>

Nature: Relaxed
I like complex characters. Your Tony Sopranos or your Walter Whites or your Kim Kelleys (just finished watching Freaks and Geeks) aren't the heroic archetypes that define much of mainstream entertainment, but they're more fascinating to watch because of their flaws and unlikeable-ness.
Old August 10th, 2013 (09:13 PM). Edited August 10th, 2013 by Toutebelle.
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I love Jacqueline Natla from Tomb Raider, even though she is a totally unsympathetic character who caused Atlantis' destruction due to her own arrogance. It must be the long gown, the imposing figure, and the voice of Grey DeLisle.

I tend to like a lot of badass, genuinely unsympathetic female villains. But they have to have a coolness factor. If they're not cool, then they're just awful. You can see why people hate Dolores Umbridge - she isn't cool; she's just evil.

It's actually easier for me to like villains than anti-heroes, especially male ones. I don't like the idea of rooting for a jerk.

I generally hate tsunderes, but only if they're the main female character. A supporting character who is a tsundere is fine, but a leading lady...no. Give me a nice girl any day. That's why I think Naruto should go for Hinata and let Sakura hook up with that jerk Sasuke instead (though I am not big on Naruto).
Old August 22nd, 2013 (06:17 AM).
Ya'll Are Weird
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
Daffy Duck in his Looney Tunes Show variation.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old August 23rd, 2013 (03:41 PM).
is a Shrew

Nature: Lonely
I usually appreciate villains and straight man characters. Examples of the latter would be things like Squidward from Spongebob and Benson from Regular Show.

The characters I tend to dislike with a fiery passion are the stupid-for-laughs characters.
Old September 23rd, 2013 (02:10 PM).

I don't hate Mako: http://matt0044.deviantart.com/journal/Addressing-the-Mako-Korra-hate-398656501 (follow the link before jumping down my throat, okay?)
Pokemon: The Black & White Adventure: 14 year old Hilda is a Pokemon Trainer with a secret: she can talk to Pokemon. After setting off into Unova with her starter, she gets involved in the affairs of Team Plasma and becomes acquainted with N, a mysterious guy her age with the exact same abilities as her. While enjoying her life, a tangled web of mystery is weaved around her and the reveal may shock her beyond belief.

Join the adventure by clicking the link above. Read & Review.
Old September 29th, 2013 (05:58 PM). Edited December 28th, 2013 by zakisrage.
In the trunk on Highway 10

Nature: Impish
I hate the over-reliance on stupid male heroes in Japanese media. It drives me crazy. They'll even turn naive ones into stupid ones through adaptations. That's why I had a few issues with the live-action Yatterman movie. In the show, Gan is naive, not stupid. In the movie, he is quite stupid. I still like the movie, though I strongly prefer the anime - both series are good. (I'm also not thrilled that they cast adults as Gan and Ai.) Oh well, my friend Ashley likes the movie, and I respect that.

You don't see stupid female heroes. Girls can be stupid too, you know.
Helga: Look Phoebe, you gotta snap out of this. I mean, criminy, it's not like it's the first time you ever farted. Heck, when you sleep over you do it all the time. You rip 'em all night long, they stink to high heaven. It's all I can do to keep from passing out.
Phoebe: Just get out.
- Hey Arnold
Old October 20th, 2013 (07:26 PM).

Nature: Naughty
Moonstone from Marvel Comics' Thunderbolts (or Dark Avengers or whatever series she's in now). She is (largely) unrepentant, manipulative, and borderline sadistic. But at the same time she is very intelligent and charismatic (doesn't hurt that she's also a knock-out). It helps that she's also a fictional character that I don't have to deal with in my every day life. I would probably hate her if I ever met her.
Old December 28th, 2013 (08:36 AM).
In the trunk on Highway 10

Nature: Impish
It is kind of tough for me to like unlikable characters, but I manage.

Take Scarlett O'Hara, for example. Throughout Gone with the Wind, she shows how arrogant, selfish, and spoiled she is (plus she's catty and manipulative to a point where even Sakura Haruno wouldn't go), and constantly pines for a man who she can't have. She's still my favourite character in the book/movie because I think they show that she's only human, and it's obvious that she isn't all bad. Sometimes it's hard to sympathise with someone who's too perfect.
Helga: Look Phoebe, you gotta snap out of this. I mean, criminy, it's not like it's the first time you ever farted. Heck, when you sleep over you do it all the time. You rip 'em all night long, they stink to high heaven. It's all I can do to keep from passing out.
Phoebe: Just get out.
- Hey Arnold
Old December 28th, 2013 (08:55 AM). Edited December 28th, 2013 by Poki.
has issues

Nature: Naughty
Tao Ren's my bby.

I can relate to him in almost every way possible.
Old December 28th, 2013 (12:32 PM).

The recent film Inside Llewyn Davis (which is fantastic, by the way) features a completely irresponsible and self-absorbed protagonist that you end up sympathizing with anyway.
Old December 29th, 2013 (04:53 PM).

Walter White from Breaking Bad is a fantastic example. He was an arrogant, selfish ******* of a man and yet, deep down, weren't we all rooting for him from the start to the bitter end?
Old December 29th, 2013 (06:34 PM).
Real Riders Wear Pink

Nature: Quirky
Eric Cartman from South Park. He's a fat, foul-mouth, racist child w/ evil intentions, yet he's somehow enjoyable to watch because of it. You just can't wait what evil scheme he has in store. It also makes me wonder if such an evil child like Cartman does exist irl.
Old December 29th, 2013 (06:55 PM).
what a lovely day
Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Ozymandias
I think the answer that everyone thinks of is Walter White. Douchebag, check. Selfish, check. Arrogant, check. But do we love him? Check
Old December 30th, 2013 (02:44 PM).
King of Stronk Style

Game of Thrones is full of these characters. The Lannisters as a whole, I don't really think you're supposed to like... But I absolutely love Jaime and Tywin. I really like Tyrion, too, but he doesn't really flex his villainous muscles throughout the series.
Old December 30th, 2013 (05:35 PM).
Onix

Quote originally posted by Apollo:
I think the answer that everyone thinks of is Walter White. Douchebag, check. Selfish, check. Arrogant, check. But do we love him? Check
Haha, I was just thinking of someone from Breaking Bad. But not Walt - he annoys me.

I like Todd a lot more than I should I reckon; he's cold and heartless and whatnot but it's really rare that there's someone who just gets a job done while retaining some sort of character in a show and I think he kinda nails it. So I actually quite like the guy... despite the whole killing kids and whatnot. >_>
Old December 30th, 2013 (05:40 PM).
adventure seeker
Platinum Tier

Basically everyone in A Clockwork Orange.

I actually never liked Walter White. I found his character too..."I'm just going to win everything and be fine, we all know I'll die in the end". My favourite character in Game of Thrones (which also happens to be my favourite TV show) is Jaime Lannister. And we all know we're meant to hate them.
<div style="background-image: url('http://i.imgur.com/bHlfm47.gif'); background-repeat: no-repeat; height: 245px; width: 600px; font-family: 'Dosis', 'Josefin Slab', 'Open Sans', sans-serif; font-weight: 200; font-size: 13px; letter-spacing: 1px; color: #282828; padding-top: 66px; padding-left:43px; text-align: left; line-height: 15px;">
<div style="font-size: 22px;">seeker</div>
<i class="fa fa-heart-o"></i> paired to <a href="http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=67003"><span class="usergroup-mod">adventure</span></a>
<i class="fa fa-code"></i> <div class="usergroup-admin">staff administrator</div>
on a leave of absence</div>
Old December 31st, 2013 (03:25 AM).
in the face
Gold Tier

David and Micheal from The Office, first being the UK version and the second US. Both are always obnoxious with their staff, generally unintentionally rude in their own ways and just plain hopeless in their jobs, but you just can't hate them. My two favourite characters from any sitcom.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links