Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index



Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates
Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Post Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old July 25th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Silais's Avatar
Silais
Princess of the Law
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet

Advertise here
Quote:
Late Monday night, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) finalized its decision to give pharmaceutical giant Teva Pharmaceuticals three years of exclusive rights to sell its brand name Plan B One-Step emergency contraception pill over-the-counter to women of all ages. The agency will also allow less expensive generic versions of the morning after pill to be sold without a prescription — but those will only be available to women aged 17 years and older for the next three years, after which the restrictions will lapse.

Under the new regulations, generic versions of single pill emergency contraception may be stocked on drug store shelves, but will require women to present identification proving that they’re at least 17 to buy it. That means that women under 17 seeking emergency contraception will only have the brand name option available to them while Teva still has its market exclusivity. Generic versions of the morning after pill cost about $20 or $30 less than the $60 Plan B.

In April, U.S. District Judge Edward Korman ordered the FDA to remove restrictions on Plan B, which until then required a prescription for all women under 17. The Obama administration tried to lower the acceptable age for OTC Plan B to 15 and asked Korman to delay his order. In a fiery ruling, Korman denied the government’s request and called the administration’s age cutoff “an insult to the intelligence of women.” He also criticized the fact that only Teva would be authorized to sell its products over-the-counter under the proposal, calling it a “sweetheart arrangement” between the pharmaceutical giant and the FDA that would disproportionately affect the poor and hike prices for young women seeking emergency contraception.

The FDA finally relented in June, when it officially brought Plan B out from behind the counter. But the agency still had to decide what to do about generic versions of the pill — and it ultimately chose to keep the one-pill generics out of young Americans’ reach for the next three years. The government is permitted to give exclusive marketing rights “to drug firms that fund and conduct clinical trials that are deemed essential to the drug’s approval,” according to the Los Angeles Times.

The decision won’t just affect younger women who are less likely to have disposable income to spend on expensive brand name drugs. Undocumented women who are over age 17 but lack a government-issued ID won’t be able to get the cheaper generic pills, either. Teva has promised not to hike Plan B’s costs despite its market exclusivity.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013...ng-after-pill/

Do you think that it is a good thing that Plan B is now available over the counter? If so, why? If not, why not? I'm interested to see what other people think here.
  #2    
Old July 25th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
It's good to see contraception more easily available, but I don't like that they'll only sell the generic version to women with ID. What's so different that the generic version needs ID for? Nothing. Well, some people have preferences and different reactions to different drugs, but that only highlights the need for options. This is just a way to make more money for a big corporation and it's going to hurt poorer and younger people who are less likely to have ID or much extra money. And what about men who might be picking the medicine up for their wives, girlfriends, etc.?

deviantart blog pair
  #3    
Old July 25th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Magic's Avatar
Magic
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
It's good to see contraception more easily available, but I don't like that they'll only sell the generic version to women with ID.
This!

Also the point the article highlights, about Plan B being at least $30 more expensive than generic brands. Surely this is taking advantage of people? And, pardon the stereotype, but I'd imagine that a lot of people who are in need of this kind of pill don't have $60 to splash.
  #4    
Old July 25th, 2013, 10:59 AM
FreakyLocz14's Avatar
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Female
Nature: Bold
Just terrible! And dangerous for women! Drugs require prescriptions because of how risky they are, and Plan B is very risky. This is just a way for big pharma to make money at the expense of desperate women! I hope that Congress and/or state legislatures act on this as soon possible.

Last edited by FreakyLocz14; July 25th, 2013 at 01:31 PM.
  #5    
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Livewire's Avatar
Livewire
でんきタイプ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sunyshore City
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
While I don't like the corporate aspect of this (giant pharmaceutical company gouging the hell out of the consumer for a profit), having contraception more easily available for those who need it is a very good thing. It's a step in the right direction.

Last edited by Livewire; July 26th, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
  #6    
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:36 AM
droomph's Avatar
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
I think it's kinda nice, because they have the choice.

I mean, not everybody has to buy Tylenol simply because it's over the counter and you have the flu, you could also use home remedies like chicken soup and a lot of love from gramma…

So it's better that we give them the choice. thooooooough I will say that the "generics only for ID"s thing is kinda weird, and that the medicine itself might be dangerous because of the whole "messing with hormones" thing.
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt


  #7    
Old July 25th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
Just terrible! And dangerous for women! Drugs require prescriptions because of how risky they are, and Plan B is very risky. This is just a way for big pharma to make money at the expense of desperate women! I hope that Congress and/or state legislatures on on this as soon possible.
Don't plenty of other countries have this? Have they seen a spike in contraception-related injuries/side effects/etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
I think it's kinda nice, because they have the choice.

I mean, not everybody has to buy Tylenol simply because it's over the counter and you have the flu, you could also use home remedies like chicken soup and a lot of love from gramma…

So it's better that we give them the choice. thooooooough I will say that the "generics only for ID"s thing is kinda weird, and that the medicine itself might be dangerous because of the whole "messing with hormones" thing.
Not to get off topic, but there are some home remedies that involve making your body chemically too inhospitable for pregnancy. They're not what I'd call fool-proof and it's better just to use the stuff in pills. Just thought I'd throw this in while I was here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysonne View Post
I don't agree with the Plan B pill because it is against God's will!

You see, how conception happens is that when a man's sperm meets with a woman's egg and, when God notices the sperm is in the womb, he gives a soul to the sperm and the sperm comes to life and turns into a baby!
I'm not sure if you're serious, but if you are, what do you say to people who aren't religious and/or have different religious interpretations to conception?

deviantart blog pair
  #8    
Old July 25th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysonne View Post
Christianity is the one true religion
Not everyone agrees. In this country a person is allowed to believe as they wish.

On topic: I do think this is a good thing, birth control should be easier to get to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
BMGf Ever Grande City
  #9    
Old July 25th, 2013, 05:59 PM
CarcharOdin's Avatar
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Monterey, California, USA
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Over-the-counter contraception readily available to women who have every right to do what they want with whatever is in their bodies?

GOOD.

More expensive than other brands?

NOT GOOD. Fix that and we're golden.
CarcharOdin gets high on life to forget about drugs.
  #10    
Old July 25th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Melody's Avatar
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cuddling those close to me
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
This is a good thing, corporate problems or not.

I personally don't have any problem with requiring women to be 18 and have ID to buy Plan 'B'. It prevents the availability of the drugs from interfering with parental rights. Yes it's unfortunate that some parents are stupid enough not to buy Plan 'B' for their child; but I see this as a fair enough compromise for now, and the restriction isn't meant to make it unavailable to those that need it.

Besides, this won't stop adult women from obtaining the generic brand for their friends. I doubt that much any FDA/Federal regulations are going to stop it with any amount of success. The rule is pretty much a PR stunt to make it look like they're trying to concede to conservative concerns.

I'm also going to point out that minors have long had a distinct lack of rights in this country for a number of reasons.
Crystal Supporter Melody


"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

  #11    
Old July 26th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Cassino's Avatar
Cassino
no
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Gender:
Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
And what about men who might be picking the medicine up for their wives, girlfriends, etc.?
This. Is there any reason for any drug to be sex-restricted?
DA | YT | In the navy, yes, you can put your mind at ease.
  #12    
Old July 26th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Silais's Avatar
Silais
Princess of the Law
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
I would hope that it's not gender restricted. It should be no one's business who buys the EC pills even if they're prescription.
  #13    
Old July 26th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Arlo's Avatar
Arlo
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I couldn't care less that it's available over the counter, though I do wonder who Teva bribed for that exclusivity deal, and just what sort of warped justification the FDA provided for it. It seems pretty obvious that the point of that is simply to maximize Teva's profits at the expense of the customers least able to protest being forced to pay more than everyone else.
  #14    
Old July 27th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino View Post
This. Is there any reason for any drug to be sex-restricted?
A little looking around has brought me to the argument that rapists/abusers/kidnappers/etc. could be forcing their victims to take it, or that ne'er-do-wells of any kind could be giving it to women without their knowledge. I dunno. Those sound more like urban legends dreamed up by someone with an extreme dislike of contraception/abortion/etc. so I don't give them much credit. Also, I find it ironic especially in the second scenario because the argument relies on women's choices being denied by the supposed evil doer slipping them pills. Not to say that it wouldn't be horrible if someone did this, but I don't think the potential for it is enough to warrant not letting men buy the pills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
I couldn't care less that it's available over the counter, though I do wonder who Teva bribed for that exclusivity deal, and just what sort of warped justification the FDA provided for it. It seems pretty obvious that the point of that is simply to maximize Teva's profits at the expense of the customers least able to protest being forced to pay more than everyone else.
In general don't the creators and/or discoverers of drugs get special treatment as an incentive for big drug companies to bother coming up with new drugs? You know, because no one would bother to come up with a cure for cancer if they couldn't make money off of it. /sarcasm

deviantart blog pair
  #15    
Old August 17th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Livewire's Avatar
Livewire
でんきタイプ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sunyshore City
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
I agree, the "well they could be slipping it to people under the table" comes across as a bit paranoid and such.

And, they gave it to Teva probably because it's the largest generic drug manufacturer in the world, based in Israel. Makes the most money that way.
  #16    
Old August 18th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Plumpyfoof's Avatar
Plumpyfoof
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
"An insult to the intelligence of women."
I'm sorry I giggled at this. It's as if he's suggesting women get less intelligent as they develop, rofl.
Where I'm from intelligence is absent in any woman under the age of 17. They're marketing to the wrong people, in my town they would make an absolute killing by selling this drug to girls aged 12 - 16. There is something seriously broken with this and it's not only that you can have a twelvie in your pants as soon as you snap your fingers.
  #17    
Old August 18th, 2013, 07:46 AM
gimmepie's Avatar
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Mild
@Scarf

Even if rapists were forcing victims (like all rape victims are woman, smh) to take the pill that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It could prevent women from ending up with children who they can't help but despise or children who hate themselves because of their parentage. Rape is bad and it wouldn't justify the act of course, but it does seem like a good thing if you take this stance.

That other argument is just ridiculously paranoid. There's nothing more to add.

@Plumpy - Pretty much. But perhaps the idea is "not to encourage underage sex". Because it totally would.
Roleplay Corner|Forum Games|Pairs|Sig|Arch Nemesis|Pie
"I don't need a quote, I need pie" - Gimmepie
  #18    
Old August 18th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Rodriguezjames55's Avatar
Rodriguezjames55
No Jokes #MegaCharizard
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United states, New York, New York City, Bronx
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Rodriguezjames55
Not a fan of plan B I'm all for Preventive measures but their marketing is sickening
  #19    
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Silais's Avatar
Silais
Princess of the Law
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguezjames55 View Post
Not a fan of plan B I'm all for Preventive measures but their marketing is sickening
How is the marketing sickening?
  #20    
Old August 18th, 2013, 04:45 PM
The Dark Avenger's Avatar
The Dark Avenger
PumpkaBOO!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The States
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
A little looking around has brought me to the argument that rapists/abusers/kidnappers/etc. could be forcing their victims to take it, or that ne'er-do-wells of any kind could be giving it to women without their knowledge. I dunno. Those sound more like urban legends dreamed up by someone with an extreme dislike of contraception/abortion/etc. so I don't give them much credit. Also, I find it ironic especially in the second scenario because the argument relies on women's choices being denied by the supposed evil doer slipping them pills. Not to say that it wouldn't be horrible if someone did this, but I don't think the potential for it is enough to warrant not letting men buy the pills.
I can see this being an issue. Though, I would be more concerned about boyfriends, husbands, ect. slipping the pills the women's drinks. The woman might be baby crazy, where as here significant other doesn't want to have children or additional children. I can see this being a prevalent issue with not restricting the pill by sex. Further, like certain other over the counter medications, pseudoephedrine or ephedrine, there should be a database of purchase record in order to oversee these issues. Since, women can purchase these pills for men, who can use them on women, or women can use them on other women. For instance a friend, sister, mother, to either party might also not want the woman to have a child. Additionally, age might be a factor! A 60 year old woman should not be buying plan-b periodically, for reasons aforementioned. I would agree with restricting by age and sex, as well as keep a Federal database in order to address abuses.
  #21    
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Silais's Avatar
Silais
Princess of the Law
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post
I can see this being an issue. Though, I would be more concerned about boyfriends, husbands, ect. slipping the pills the women's drinks. The woman might be baby crazy, where as here significant other doesn't want to have children or additional children. I can see this being a prevalent issue with not restricting the pill by sex. Further, like certain other over the counter medications, pseudoephedrine or ephedrine, there should be a database of purchase record in order to oversee these issues. Since, women can purchase these pills for men, who can use them on women, or women can use them on other women. For instance a friend, sister, mother, to either party might also not want the woman to have a child. Additionally, age might be a factor! A 60 year old woman should not be buying plan-b periodically, for reasons aforementioned. I would agree with restricting by age and sex, as well as keep a Federal database in order to address abuses.
Honestly, how often will these types of cases come up? It seems like a plot to a bad drama, to be honest. Plan-B pills are supposed to help women who want to be in charge of their reproductive rights, not a go-to for people who want to sabotage a woman's pregnancy. It just seems incredibly unlikely that these kinds of acts would become prevalent now that Plan-B is over-the-counter.
  #22    
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:27 AM
daigonite's Avatar
daigonite
[insert artsy user title here]
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: With the Birds
Age: 21
Gender:
Nature: Impish
I honestly think this is a great thing because it would help prevent a lot of unprepared pregnancies. I'm sorry folks, but underage sex and premarital sex is gonna happen. We're a horny species and that's just how it works. Having something that can protect both a life from having a difficult existence and people from raising an unexpected child is something that is beneficial, because then when you're ready to actually have a child you can take care of it.

Condoms don't work all the time so having a plan B is a good thing. Yeah I know there's people who are gonna abuse it but what are you gonna do?
  #23    
Old August 19th, 2013, 12:00 PM
The Dark Avenger's Avatar
The Dark Avenger
PumpkaBOO!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The States
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silais View Post
Honestly, how often will these types of cases come up? It seems like a plot to a bad drama, to be honest. Plan-B pills are supposed to help women who want to be in charge of their reproductive rights, not a go-to for people who want to sabotage a woman's pregnancy. It just seems incredibly unlikely that these kinds of acts would become prevalent now that Plan-B is over-the-counter.
Exactly, in control of their own reproductive rights.

Actually, many men don't want their girlfriends, one-night-stands, or several of the women they are having a sexual relationship to have their baby, a huge burden on the father financially; it's not their right to decide the woman's reproductive rights. Men slip women date rape drugs all of the time, it's very easy and accessible to give a person plan-b unknowingly, especially if men are able to purchase plan-b without a hitch, legally, otc, with no record. To think that this would not be a significant issue given the motive and the high accessibility of doing so, it would be naive to ignore the issue. Simply, like other controlled otc medications, a simple database would actually assist in keeping a record that would ensure that women are more in control of their own reproductive rights. A woman would just have to present a state ID, and purchase the medication. Additionally, by giving the drug oversight stipulations, the legislation is more favorable public policy to those that oppose it, thus giving the policy more legitimacy and traction in the public sphere to ensure the policy's longevity in the political process.
  #24    
Old August 19th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Silais's Avatar
Silais
Princess of the Law
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post
Exactly, in control of their own reproductive rights.

Actually, many men don't want their girlfriends, one-night-stands, or several of the women they are having a sexual relationship to have their baby, a huge burden on the father financially; it's not their right to decide the woman's reproductive rights. Men slip women date rape drugs all of the time, it's very easy and accessible to give a person plan-b unknowingly, especially if men are able to purchase plan-b without a hitch, legally, otc, with no record. To think that this would not be a significant issue given the motive and the high accessibility of doing so, it would be naive to ignore the issue. Simply, like other controlled otc medications, a simple database would actually assist in keeping a record that would ensure that women are more in control of their own reproductive rights. A woman would just have to present a state ID, and purchase the medication. Additionally, by giving the drug oversight stipulations, the legislation is more favorable public policy to those that oppose it, thus giving the policy more legitimacy and traction in the public sphere to ensure the policy's longevity in the political process.
I'm sorry, but this seems so unlikely. I really do not think that now that Plan-B is over-the-counter there will be an influx of women unknowingly taking Plan-B pills because their husbands/boyfriends do not want children.
  #25    
Old August 19th, 2013, 04:54 PM
The Dark Avenger's Avatar
The Dark Avenger
PumpkaBOO!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The States
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silais View Post
I'm sorry, but this seems so unlikely. I really do not think that now that Plan-B is over-the-counter there will be an influx of women unknowingly taking Plan-B pills because their husbands/boyfriends do not want children.
Can you offer an explanation as to how you have reached this conclusion?

Also, I make the claim only in the case that anyone is permitted to buy the drug, regardless of fertility or gender, and/or there is no regulation in the form of a database, similar to other otc drugs, rather than otc availability in all of its form would engender this dilemma. The only burden is to provide a State ID. It's a fairly simple system that would protect abuse. And, as I listed, help legitimize the policy in the public sphere.

So far, the only reasoning offered in response each time is, "it's unlikely because it's unlikely." A common argument fallacy. Many men don't want to marry women that they sleep with, let alone have children with them. This is not just boyfriends and husbands, of which may also not want children.

Take for example when proper preventative measures are not taken, and a female finds out she is pregnant a couple weeks afterward, it is very common that the male will requests for the woman to have an abortion due to the financial/emotional obligation, but in essence he has no control over the decision of the mother in most legal aspects.

This is a very real and fairly common conflict. Men very often don't want to be tied down in a relationship/marriage or have children with some women they sleep with. And when those proper measures of preventative contraception are not utilized, and again, a large number of sexual activity fails to use adequate preventative measures, the male would very likely utilize the non-regulated/tracked use of the otc Plan-B to avoid financial responsibilities without any legal repercussions on the reasonable chance that he fertilized the woman's egg.

Administering a person a medication is extremely easy without their knowledge; it's getting the medication that is usually the difficult part. It would be at least 10 times easier to dose a woman with plan-b than it would be to put rufilin in her drink because it's an illicit non-prescribed drug, whereas in this case it is not. And, even that is a common phenomena that is easily facilitated. Thus, why not keep a database of the drug's use, like other otc medications in order to make it more difficult and more reprehensible for those who wish to abuse the medication given the clear intent and accessibility of abusing of the drug?

1) Women would retain more reproductive control. 2) Policy Legitimization.

Again, I never state that Plan-B ought to be prescription. Rather, OTC with a few simple regulations is more beneficial to society than is Plan-B OCT without some of these regulations.
Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 06:16 PM.

About Us
© 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com. Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.

Copyright
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com. PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator. Header artwork by Jordanice of deviantART.

Social Media
If you would like to stay up-to-date with us on the go, when we're down, or other such things, follow us on social media sites--most notibly Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus--by clicking on the links provided.

Design presented by Peitharchia. Special thanks to Hiroshi Sotomura and Ausaudriel.