The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Battle Center

Notices

Battle Center The forum designed for all of your Pokémon battling needs! Here you can battle, discuss, participate in events, receive help on your team, and much more!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 17th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Opposite Day
too old for name changes

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Opposite Day Send a message via Skype™ to Opposite Day
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowpointQuincy View Post
I want to make a Chlorophyll Venusaur, but I never use Hidden Power, so what should I put there instead?

@Life Orb
Growth
Sleep Powder
Giga Drain
Hidden Power Fire / Sludge Bomb / Earthquake
If you don't want to use Hidden Power Fire, your moveset is fine - although you will struggle to get past Ferrothorn/Scizor/Skarmory, etc, so I really would recommend you using it. I guess decide whether or not your team struggles with Latias or Heatran/Ferrothorn, and choose the last move accordingly.

Heatran takes care of all of those mentioned in the Sun (maybe save for a predicted CB Superpower from Scizor), and so it makes a pretty good partner synergy-vise. I'd post a moveset but idk what Heatran commonly runs on Sun - but since you'd want Sun to stay, you could always run the trapping set for Hippowdon/Tyranitar/Politoed:

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~ Sunny Day
~ Magma Storm
~ SolarBeam
~ Earth Power / Hidden Power Ice

Outspeeds and changes the weather as they get trapped thanks to Magma Storm, and with Sunny Day up their attacks won't do too much to you, after which you can OHKO w/ SolarBeam and send in Ninetales again for sunny fun. Be wary of scarf sets though.

In addition to that LO Sawsbuck makes a pretty good sweeping partner for Venusaur, as it decimates both Latias and Heatran with either Double Edge/Megahorn or Nature Power/Jump Kick.

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Adamant 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Horn Leech
~ Return / Double Edge
~ Nature Power / Jump Kick
~ Megahorn

I wouldn't really bother with using Swords Dance since unlike Venusaur, Sawsbuck doesn't resist any priority at all and besides is frailer.

Good luck!
Old September 17th, 2013, 01:26 PM
mozartm99

Nature: Lax
I need an electric type for my white 2 team. I was looking at either Elekid, Mareep, or magnetite and their families respectively. Is there a better one out there or wich one of these should I use?
Friendship dies and true love lies
Night will fall and dark will rise
when a good man goes to war
Demons run, but count the cost
the battle's won, but the child is lost.
Old September 17th, 2013, 01:44 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartm99 View Post
I need an electric type for my white 2 team. I was looking at either Elekid, Mareep, or magnetite and their families respectively. Is there a better one out there or wich one of these should I use?
Magnemite is the best, IMO, as it can beat Roxie's gym handily, because of its immunity to Poison. It's also useful for the gyms after Elesa and Clay.

Old September 17th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Opposite Day
too old for name changes

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Opposite Day Send a message via Skype™ to Opposite Day
Quote:
Seconding Platdude here. Magnemite = God Mode in BW2, with Sonicboom you pretty much 2HKO everything, and you resist practically every move in the game as well. It takes on Roxie, Burgh, Elesa, Skyla, and Marlon singlehandedly, and does pretty decently against Drayden too, just keep it away from Flygon (and Druddigon, Revenge does a number to you).

Elekid needs a bit of babying before it gets useful, so I'd strongly recommend using Magnemite over it - but if you value speed, go for it.

Last edited by Opposite Day; September 18th, 2013 at 03:14 AM. Reason: I don't double post, I double dance
Old September 17th, 2013, 08:24 PM
mozartm99

Cool thanks. I was leaning towards him because he is the only one I haven't used out of the three. Another question though, for a ground type would you suggest crustle or sandile?

Last edited by mozartm99; September 17th, 2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Autumn Reverie
d a y d r e a m

Location: Above Singapore, below Thailand. Hm, you don't know where that is?
Nature: Modest
Crustle is not a ground-type, but actually a rock/bug-type. Since you want a ground-type, Sandile is the one for you. Especially after it fully evolves into Krookodile, it is very powerful with a good movepool as well as the added benefits of the ever useful dark-type. With abilities Moxie or Intimidate (I'd recommend Moxie from personal experience), you'll have yourself a viable and reliable member on your team.
Old September 18th, 2013, 06:12 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by synerjee View Post
Crustle is not a ground-type, but actually a rock/bug-type. Since you want a ground-type, Sandile is the one for you. Especially after it fully evolves into Krookodile, it is very powerful with a good movepool as well as the added benefits of the ever useful dark-type. With abilities Moxie or Intimidate (I'd recommend Moxie from personal experience), you'll have yourself a viable and reliable member on your team.
Quote:
Cool thanks. I was leaning towards him because he is the only one I haven't used out of the three. Another question though, for a ground type would you suggest crustle or sandile?
To add, there' also Drilbur as a stronger option over Sandile. While it does require some patience to find (it's sometimes found in dust clouds in any cave; the first one you'll find is Relic Passage), Excadrill is a very strong Pokemon in the end, learning virtually all its useful moves by level-up (Swords Dance, Dig; later Earthquake, Rock Slide).

Old September 18th, 2013, 08:01 AM
WhiteKnightL

Nature: Calm
Hey, guys. I'm trying out the Harvest moveset for my Exeggutor and so far it helps out in battle more often than not. I'm wondering if my Exeggutor will be better off in a Sun or Rain team? Or neither? Fire in sunlight normally faints it in one move but Harvest kicks in every turn, while rain reduces the power of all Fire-type moves and Harvest works normally. This is my current build for it:

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Harvest (50% chance to recycle a used Berry, 100% chance in sunlight)
252 HP, 172 Def, 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Psychic

Bold nature would suit it better, but I didn't want to let this ability go to waste since this DW Exeggutor is male, so its ability can't be passed down to its offspring. What do you guys think? And what tier would be better for it?

"You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take the time to imagine the impossible. That maybe you survive." -The Ninth Doctor

I'm a Catholic Whovian who loves to watch anime and read manga, discovering my faith while still trying to to enjoy the things I love. Feel free to PM me for questions or just to chat!

Black 2 file
Palom
FC: 3483 3007 8236
Feel free to add me to trade and/or battle! Could really use some friends in BW2!

Poetry thread (please check it out!): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=310154

My trade thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307887
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:12 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnightL View Post
Hey, guys. I'm trying out the Harvest moveset for my Exeggutor and so far it helps out in battle more often than not. I'm wondering if my Exeggutor will be better off in a Sun or Rain team? Or neither? Fire in sunlight normally faints it in one move but Harvest kicks in every turn, while rain reduces the power of all Fire-type moves and Harvest works normally. This is my current build for it:

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Harvest (50% chance to recycle a used Berry, 100% chance in sunlight)
252 HP, 172 Def, 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Psychic

Bold nature would suit it better, but I didn't want to let this ability go to waste since this DW Exeggutor is male, so its ability can't be passed down to its offspring. What do you guys think? And what tier would be better for it?
Moving the Defense EVs to its Special Attack may be a better alternative in your case, considering that you're running Modest, and it's pointless to use Modest if you're not investing in it at all. Really, paralysis and hazard support (especially Toxic Spikes) is ideal when you're using this particular Exeggutor. Or you can use LumRest to take advantage of the Modest nature:
-Giga Drain
-Psychic
-Rest
-Sleep Powder
EVs: 248 HP/176 SAtk/84 Spe
Item: Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest

Old September 18th, 2013, 04:12 PM
mozartm99

one more question for now. Should I go for Drilbur and zorua or get sandile and throw in a dragon type? I plan to have a team member with ice capabilities but I was wondering if i should add a dragon for some backup.
Old September 18th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Peitharchia
// and finite incantatem

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Peitharchia
Zorua is all right, but Drillbur would definitely be a bad choice. Drillbur will have extremely low defensive stats when it evolves into Excadrill, so your opponent will be able to take it down in an instant without even breaking a sweat. It would also be kind of slow, so it won't be able to outrun much Pokémon.

You should go with Sandile instead of Drillbur. It may not be as strong as Drillbur, but it does have access to Intimidate and Moxie. They're two of the greatest abilities in competitive play. With Moxie, your Attack will be raised by one stage immediately after you defeat one of your opponent's Pokémon, which will enable you to start sweeping. And with Intimidate, you will have the chance to make your opponent weaker physically. This will allow you to survive for a few additional turns when they're attacking you with physical moves such as Mach Punch, Ice Punch, and Drain Punch.

Last edited by Peitharchia; September 18th, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:45 PM
mozartm99

Ok. I appreciate the input but I wanna use pokes that i never used before so I went with drillbur. Thanks though.
Old September 19th, 2013, 07:13 AM
WhiteKnightL

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
Moving the Defense EVs to its Special Attack may be a better alternative in your case, considering that you're running Modest, and it's pointless to use Modest if you're not investing in it at all. Really, paralysis and hazard support (especially Toxic Spikes) is ideal when you're using this particular Exeggutor. Or you can use LumRest to take advantage of the Modest nature:
-Giga Drain
-Psychic
-Rest
-Sleep Powder
EVs: 248 HP/176 SAtk/84 Spe
Item: Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
Never thought about it. I might give it a try but even at Modest the Def EVs still help in battle. But this is a pretty good suggestion. I might transfer the EVs someday and let you know how it goes.

Quote:
one more question for now. Should I go for Drilbur and zorua or get sandile and throw in a dragon type? I plan to have a team member with ice capabilities but I was wondering if i should add a dragon for some backup.
There's a reason Excadrill is in Uber: Sand Rush. Its Speed is already decent, and Sand Rush speeds him up even more. That's why a lot of Excadrill trainers start off with Tyranitar. In-game or competitive battling, high Speed and Attack is what makes Excadrill a formidable foe. So Drilbur really isn't a bad choice, but as mentioned earlier it DOES have a low Defense stat so physical attacks will make it hit critical status.

Zoroark are powerful in Attack and Special Attack, and their high Speed goes nicely with them. However, they are extremely frail, to the point that resisted hits will still do a number on it. Fortunately, Illusion helps throw off the opponent but be careful in making sure that the last Pokemon in your party doesn't share Zoroark's weaknesses.

Generally, both can have the same use in a team: all-out attack. Do as much damage as possible before they are K.O'd. Zoroark may outlast Excadrill in battle but Excadrill trumps the fox with its high Attack. Of course, if you don't want to end up fighting a bunch of legendaries in competitive play then go with Zoroark.

P.S. I am aware Drilbur was already chosen, but I still decided to throw in my two cents.

"You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take the time to imagine the impossible. That maybe you survive." -The Ninth Doctor

I'm a Catholic Whovian who loves to watch anime and read manga, discovering my faith while still trying to to enjoy the things I love. Feel free to PM me for questions or just to chat!

Black 2 file
Palom
FC: 3483 3007 8236
Feel free to add me to trade and/or battle! Could really use some friends in BW2!

Poetry thread (please check it out!): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=310154

My trade thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307887

Last edited by WhiteKnightL; September 19th, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:34 AM
JayTheKing
~~King Of Plegia~~

How do natures work?And by that i mean when they increase a stat how does the other stat get decreased?(ex +20%ATK -20%SpAtk??)

White 2:4814-8483-7594

3DS:4871 4138 8216
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Fiery Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTheKing View Post
How do natures work?And by that i mean when they increase a stat how does the other stat get decreased?(ex +20%ATK -20%SpAtk??)
Here's a list that shows which nature decreases which stats and increases which stats!
http://www.serebii.net/games/natures.shtml
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:59 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTheKing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Dash View Post
Here's a list that shows which nature decreases which stats and increases which stats!
http://www.serebii.net/games/natures.shtml
To add, a nature increases a stat by 10% and decreases another by 10%, not by 20% each.

Old September 20th, 2013, 05:27 PM
mozartm99

I have onemore question about my team. Absol or Bisharp? I am kinda leaning more towards bisharp but not sure why.
Old September 20th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Fiery Dash

Absol hits harder, but comparing to Bisharp's defenses, he's a little frail on the defensive aspect.
While Bisharp has respectable Atk stat, and acceptable defensive stat. Note that Bisharp is not pure Dark like Absol, he's partly Steel!
Old September 20th, 2013, 06:09 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Quote:
I have onemore question about my team. Absol or Bisharp? I am kinda leaning more towards bisharp but not sure why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Dash View Post
Absol hits harder, but comparing to Bisharp's defenses, he's a little frail on the defensive aspect.
While Bisharp has respectable Atk stat, and acceptable defensive stat. Note that Bisharp is not pure Dark like Absol, he's partly Steel!
Also take note that you'll be stuck with a Pawniard until level 52. While I'm sure you can cope with base 85 Attack while you wait, Pawniard's terrible special bulk makes it not worth using in-game.

I'd rather stick with Absol, not only because it's strong as soon as you get it, but also because it has a wider movepool than Bisharp.

Old September 20th, 2013, 10:04 PM
mozartm99

Ok thanks as usual. And my evee started to evolve but it is night. I stopped it but will it only evolve into umbreon?
Old September 21st, 2013, 12:20 AM
Peitharchia
// and finite incantatem

I don't think so. You've stopped its evolution before it had the chance to fully occur, so it won't be able to evolve into an Umbreon anymore unless you train it again during the nighttime. If you're planning to make it evolve into an Espeon, then you may go ahead and train it when there's daylight.

Old September 21st, 2013, 12:28 AM
Elaitenstile
Sea turtles, mate.

Nature: Naive
Which is a better choice for my Volcarona - Fiery Dance or Flamethrower? Can someone help me, I'm a bit troubled between the two.

I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.

Savvy?
#johnnydeppjacksparrow
Previously known as ★Hoenn★

Old September 21st, 2013, 01:42 AM
Peitharchia
// and finite incantatem

In my opinion, if you don't have Quiver Dance on your moveset, then it would be a much better choice to go with Fiery Dance instead of Flamethrower. Flamethrower does have a ten-percent chance of burning your opponent, but with Fiery Dance, you will be able to raise your Special Attack stat by one stage almost every time you execute this move. After just one boost with Fiery Dance, Volcarona will be able to take down a lot of your opponent's Pokémon all by itself. If your Volcarona does know Quiver Dance, then you should probably go with Flamethrower. :)

Old September 21st, 2013, 02:15 AM
Elaitenstile
Sea turtles, mate.

Nature: Naive
Right. Thanks, and Quiver Dance was a move that depended on this decision. If I took Fiery Dance I wouldn't have taken Quiver Dance. (I'm planning my Larvesta, you see)

I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.

Savvy?
#johnnydeppjacksparrow
Previously known as ★Hoenn★

Old September 21st, 2013, 07:30 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdition Haze View Post
In my opinion, if you don't have Quiver Dance on your moveset, then it would be a much better choice to go with Fiery Dance instead of Flamethrower. Flamethrower does have a ten-percent chance of burning your opponent, but with Fiery Dance, you will be able to raise your Special Attack stat by one stage almost every time you execute this move. After just one boost with Fiery Dance, Volcarona will be able to take down a lot of your opponent's Pokémon all by itself. If your Volcarona does know Quiver Dance, then you should probably go with Flamethrower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ★Hoenn★ View Post
Right. Thanks, and Quiver Dance was a move that depended on this decision. If I took Fiery Dance I wouldn't have taken Quiver Dance. (I'm planning my Larvesta, you see)
If you're not patient enough to have Volcarona learn Fiery Dance (it learns the move at level 100), then go with Fire Blast. It has more power than Fiery Dance and Flamethrower; its accuracy is more acceptable than Blizzard, Thunder or the like.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links