The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Do you use "HM Slaves"?
YES, I teach all HM's to 2 Pokemon. 11 15.07%
NO, I split HM's up amongst my team. 36 49.32%
I keep Pokemon with HM's in the PC until needed. 26 35.62%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 13th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Arlo

Advertise here
Before Gen V, I prefer to use HM slaves, just because I don't use a set team. There's no way to distribute all the HMs between my team members because my team members constantly change. It's just easier to put all the HM moves on a couple of slaves and keep them on the team all the time, then rotate through the remaining slots.

With Gen V though, that's no longer necessary (and I think it's one of the best changes they've made in the games). Now I just travel with whoever I want and whenever I run into a situation where I need an HM move, I just teach it to whoever I've got with me who can learn it. Then when I get a chance, I go to the Move Deleter, get it taken off, then replace it with a TM move or something from the Move Relearner.
Old August 13th, 2013, 12:52 PM
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Nature: Lonely
There was a time I was using HM slaves, but nowadays I prefer teaching HMs to my main team, one per Pokémon. Besides, Surf and Strength aren't exactly wastes of space, I find them to be OK as combat moves. Also, I think I'm one of the few who actually uses Flash in battle (mostly when I'm catching legendaries, I start by Flashing them until their accuracy goes down to the minimum) .

When I think about it, Gen 2 and 3 made spreading HM among the team quite difficult, having three water HMs and all :) . There are games where I actually have a Water HM slave, but I very rarely use them.

Friend codes:
Electric-type Safari: 4468-2370-5617 (Electrode - Pikachu - Galvantula) | Dark-type Safari: 1134-8222-3179 (Nuzleaf - Cacturne - Liepard)
PM before adding. If you don't mention which code you added, I will NOT add you back.

PROTIP: If your "video game" can be replicated using only MS Word, then it's not a game, and you have no business calling yourself an indie game developer. Just saying... to no one in particular.
Old August 13th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
Personally I don't like littering my team with HMs.

So I keep HM slaves handy. The only exceptions are Surf and Fly; which almost always go to my water and flying types respectively. I consider any Pokemon with 2 or more HMs to be worthless in battle so yeah, I follow that rule closely. Most HMs aren't really required to move through the overworld if you know where to fly to.

However, if you are moving through the overworld, the maps seem to obnoxiously require them. So I consider having HM (Slaves/Buddies/Friends) an absolute must, and littering your entire party with 1 HM is just suicide because it slashes your effective movesets to 3, which may not be an issue early on, but will be later. Nothing sucks worse than being stuck in battle with only an HM to fight with.

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Old August 13th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Hikamaru
the hamster
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I don't mind using an HM slave, currently using a Bidoof in Platinum for that purpose. I used to often slap HMs on my main team members in my early playing days, but I did learn my lesson for having terrible movesets back then and now I like to assign all the "bad" HMs to an HM slave. The only exceptions are ones like Surf, Fly and Waterfall because they actually have usable purposes in battle.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | credit | supporter

Old August 13th, 2013, 03:48 PM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
I have never had a designated Pokémon for Hidden Machines. I've always hated having a Pokémon I'm not intending to use for battling purposes on my team. Even when I'm trying to fill my PokéDex and I'm miles away from a PC, it irks me. I usually just teach them to my story team.
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Tombo

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tombo Send a message via Yahoo to Tombo Send a message via Skype™ to Tombo
I don't like using a "HM Slave" I usually make my pokemon forget hm moves whenever I can so I can teach them other moves :D

3DS friend code: 1478-4001-3509

I would love to link up with people so PM me today!

It's a whole new way to see,
It's a whole new place,
With a brand new attitude
But you still gotta catch 'em all
And be the best that you can be!
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Slave4QueenBritney

OMG like TOTALLLYY I hate hm slaves so much like seriously ugh
Old August 15th, 2013, 02:36 AM
Green Stache

I hate Hms.. The fact that most of them are useless in battle when your Pokemon get stronger, and that you need to use some of them later on but don't want to ruin your perfect pokemon move set.. And the fact that you can't just forget it to learn a new move unless you go to the move deleter.. I've had cases when I learnt a awesome new move, but didn't want to get rid of my other awesome moves and had something like 'Rock Smash' in the way.. Eh. Things like Rock Smash, Flash, Waterfall, etc, I had having my pokemon being stuck with them. The only moves I like are surf (One of the best water attacks imo) and strength. The rest, I have HM slaves for, because I don't want them wasting up my pokemon move space.

Plus, things like flash, rock smash and dive, are hardly used really, and it wont kill you just to back track a little bit to swap Pokemon.
Old August 17th, 2013, 09:00 AM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I use HM slaves during playthroughs, except for Surf and Fly. I've taken a liking to Flying types, so I usually end up with the early Flying/Normal 'mon in my team.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old August 17th, 2013, 02:15 PM
TreeKangaroo
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave4QueenBritney View Post
OMG like TOTALLLYY I hate hm slaves so much like seriously ugh
Okay...?

I use HM slaves unless if its surf because surf is awesome and most other HMs are useless like defog.
Old August 17th, 2013, 03:58 PM
franko94
Master Trainer

Nature: Adamant
I don't use HM slaves, I distribute evenly, until they are no longer needed. Then I keep the strong ones and use the move deleter to remove cut, flash, whirlpool, defog etc.

Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/The-Legend-Ark...rds=B00DAIDXDA

iOS devices can access via apps for either Kindle or Nook

Also, for those of you who like more realistic fiction, on November 28th, my second work Family is Forever comes out.
Old August 18th, 2013, 08:52 AM
MIAU
Community Supporter

I don't actually; but only before beating the game. I don't even teach my Pokemon some HMs, like Flash. Cut gets deleted soon enough, and I can do just fine without Fly if I don't have a Flying type. Surf and Waterfall and even Strength work well in battle, so I tend to use those anyway.

Post-game though, only half of my team is used in battle, and I have a couple Pokemon that specifically carry either HM moves, or stuff like False Swipe and Sing. For example, right now in Black 2, I can't go anywhere without Azul the Wailord, who knows Strength, Surf, Waterfall and Dive, and Loony the Drifblim, who knows Cut, Fly, Flash and another move that changes according to needs.

I do want to note that I don't refer to them as HM slaves, they're as important as any other Pokemon in my team, even though they don't participate in battle, though Azul is quite bulky and Loony has also saved the day battling Normal types.
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:53 AM
morrison

Yeah i dont use hm slaves either. I am fine with having hm s on the pokemon at hand , and strngths and surf and fly are alright, and for the others, i dont use dive in this gen and rocksmash isnt used much either here so i am fine.

Pokemon Hardmode Sapphire Comic
starts as b/w but turns colourful a couple of pages later
Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:10 PM
pompayyy
Forever and Ever

Nature: Relaxed
I never have used a HM slave. I really don't get the logic behind it. So you're going to waste a slot in your party so your Pokemon won't learn a few mediocre moves?

Pink Moon is on its way.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:24 AM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

I usually take out the most important HMs (such as Fly, Surf, Rock Smash, etc.) and spread them out throughout my team evenly, because I don't like wasting a slot in my team just for having an HM Pokémon. The only time that I've ever used an HM slave was in my first run of Pokémon Diamond. I caught a Bibarel, and I later found out that it was compatible with most of the HMs I needed. I felt kind of bad about it, though, because Pokémon are actually supposed to be your friends. They're not supposed to be the ones to work for you. D:
Old September 1st, 2013, 04:03 PM
Yumetaro
MAI RIBBONS

Nature: Calm
Nah, I like to spread my HMs evenly throughout my team. After all, it wastes a space on your team, that wouldn't be very good for the Elite Four and stuff.
Old September 1st, 2013, 05:33 PM
BubbleBeams
Defeating Champions Since 1999

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to BubbleBeams
I've never really liked using HM slaves and I never did when I was younger, but I've also learned that it's much nicer to have my team's movepool more open.

I like having moves like Surf, Fly, and Strength on my team as I feel they are actually good moves. But moves like Flash, Rock Smash, etc... I really don't care for. Waterfall is okay, I guess, but I usually only have one water-type on my team and I'm not huge on having more than one attack of the same type on my individual Pokemon (with the exception of status moves like Thunder Wave, Toxic, etc..)

I didn't like using an HM slave at first because of having to put on of my team members in the box, but I usually just throw the highest level Pokemon I have in the box. It actually works out because then I can focus on my Pokemon who may not be as well trained and get them up to the level I need them at.

&
Ultimate Monotype Challenge: Ground
LeafGreen (8/8)|HeartGold (0/16)|Emerald (8/8)|Platinum (5/8)|White 2 (0/8)

Paired with ShadowExcadrill
Old September 1st, 2013, 07:33 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
I don't use HM Slaves... I use HM Heroes. What? I love the contributions each and every one of my pokemon provide, so they deserve to be recognized with a polite name.

The reason why I don't like teaching my main team HMs is because I don't want to clog up a moveslot. I think HMs should be both forgettable and broader in newer games.

For instance, "CUT" would be a category of moves, including Cut, Slash X-Scissor, Psycho Cut, Razor Leaf, Leaf Blade, and so forth. It wouldn't force you to use a specific low base power move, but just having any cut-like move would work.

For "STRENGTH", you could use Strength, Rock Slide, Seismic Toss, or even Psychic. It makes sense that a psychic-type should be able to move obstables out of the way, right?

Okay, I'm getting off-topic with this idea. But until something that doesn't make HMs a burden, I'm still going to keep using HM Heroes.
Old September 1st, 2013, 07:40 PM
WhiteKnightL

Nature: Calm
Even if they're sprites, I feel like I should respect my Pokemon enough to give them a decent name. Though I admit I have a Watchog with mostly HMs, and Crunch for attacking.

It's fairly convenient for some, like Samurott, to have an HM like Waterfall in conjunction with Swords Dance for battle.

"You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take the time to imagine the impossible. That maybe you survive." -The Ninth Doctor

I'm a Catholic Whovian who loves to watch anime and read manga, discovering my faith while still trying to to enjoy the things I love. Feel free to PM me for questions or just to chat!

Black 2 file
Palom
FC: 3483 3007 8236
Feel free to add me to trade and/or battle! Could really use some friends in BW2!

Poetry thread (please check it out!): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=310154

My trade thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307887
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:43 PM
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I don't use HM Slaves... I use HM Heroes. What? I love the contributions each and every one of my pokemon provide, so they deserve to be recognized with a polite name.

The reason why I don't like teaching my main team HMs is because I don't want to clog up a moveslot. I think HMs should be both forgettable and broader in newer games.

For instance, "CUT" would be a category of moves, including Cut, Slash X-Scissor, Psycho Cut, Razor Leaf, Leaf Blade, and so forth. It wouldn't force you to use a specific low base power move, but just having any cut-like move would work.

For "STRENGTH", you could use Strength, Rock Slide, Seismic Toss, or even Psychic. It makes sense that a psychic-type should be able to move obstables out of the way, right?

Okay, I'm getting off-topic with this idea. But until something that doesn't make HMs a burden, I'm still going to keep using HM Heroes.
That's a great idea! I have too thought that before. That certain moves could obviously in real life have the same effect as the HM moves even though they aren't HM's. That's seriously a good idea, like so good that I hope more people start talking about it and spread the word.
I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old September 12th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

That would be a great idea. Personally I find it varies. Right now in LeafGreen, I just taught HMs to my team members - even though I've changed my team a bit (already dropped Butterfree and Raichu, only got 5 badges. Contemplating Swapping another member too), I know I'll have those 5 all the time. Plus, the fact that there are only 5 HMs helps. That and that moves have a type - so it's not like with Kadabra I think "I don't want Flash, it takes up Shadow Ball's slot" because moves such as Shadow Ball are physical in Gen III.
In Gen V I also tend to teach my team members HMs - partially because of the reduced number, but also because tms are relearnable.

I have used HM slaves though, or a pokémon that only has 1 HM that other team members can't use, particularly in Diamond, Platinum and Emerald (those darn water moves!). The doubling of Rock Smash's power does help a little in Gen IV, particularly if I use Chimchar (Scizor's a beast with it in HeartGold too). It does annoy me having to ditch a team-member to traverse a route - in HeartGold the fact that you need Rock Climb for Mount Silver really irritates me, as I've usually used a lot of tms by that stage.
Old September 12th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Hoenn
» Just a cat and mouse game
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
I don't tend to use HM Slaves, the two HMs that I mainly use are Fly and Surf and since the majority of the time I have a Water and Flying-type on my team I tend to assign those HMS to those Pokémon.

Old September 12th, 2013, 05:27 PM
zirico
M.C.F.C

I do what the OP does, always have done as I hate switching between pokemon. I like to build a team of six and stick to it.
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Calamitastrophe
How do you even say that?

Nature: Lax
I would definitely prefer to have a dedicated Surf'er (and other Water-type HMs) and Fly'er on my main team, but sometimes I just can't find or get a Pokemon I really like that can use those. So I just bring in a slave as the need arises. I'll keep slaves for the other HMs, though, just because it feels like a huge handicap on a Pokemon to use those moves. Because of this, I'll venture into caves with one, two, or even three slaves in extreme cases.

But Surf, Waterfall, Fly, and Strength are all pretty solid enough moves, to me. I try to use them when I can.
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:05 AM
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Glad to hear everyone's opinion and see that some people play the way I do. :D
I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here