The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

View Poll Results: Do you use "HM Slaves"?
YES, I teach all HM's to 2 Pokemon. 11 15.07%
NO, I split HM's up amongst my team. 36 49.32%
I keep Pokemon with HM's in the PC until needed. 26 35.62%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 14th, 2013, 08:14 PM
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Nature: Naughty
I added a poll sooo let the voting begin!
I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old September 14th, 2013, 08:28 PM
DynalMaestro
Eater Of Worlds

Nature: Quiet
I dont really use hmslaves and i prefer to distribute the Hm's unless the Hm is cut or rock smash then i teach it to a random pokemon i caught that i will probably never use in battle
Old September 15th, 2013, 08:31 AM
ChipmunkGamingInc.
Owner of Chipmunk Gaming Inc.

Nature: Lonely
I must highly agree with you. HM slaves are simply wrong. They sound wrong, and they don't serve a purpose.

You don't train them, you don't care about them, so what happens if all you Pokemon are defeated and all you have is an exceptionally weak HM slave?

If you play through the game without HM slaves, you'll have a heck of an easier time. For example, my starter Pokemon, an Empoleon, knows both Rock Smash and Cut. I actually taught him Cut yesterday. Why? It's a fairly good move. I've destroyed my friends' teams through just Cut.

One Pokemon I didn't realize had all HM moves was my Level 100 Quagsire. I use him most of the time, and he's one of my main competitors. He knows Surf, Dive, Waterfall, and Flash.

HM slaves are unloved, unused, and under-leveled. If you're going to have an HM slave, at least train it along with your other Pokemon.

Join the Poké Dance Party! Gen II at it's best!
Old September 15th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Pokemon_Trainer_Danny
Slateport resident

Nature: Calm
I use HM slaves, but I never keep them in the team, because most HMs become obsolete at a point because there are a lot of moves that are better. The only HMs that stay useful in battle, IMO, are Surf and Strength. I never teach HMs to Pokémon I battle with.
Old September 15th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
The only reason people complain about HM slaves is because of the term "slave". In games like Emerald and Platinum, are you really going to waste precious move slots with stuff like Rock Climb and Dive? I don't think so.

The OP has a Wailord with all the Water HMs. Well that means you can move about easily, but it also means the Wailord is going to be destroyed by anything it can't attack effectively. It's really just a glorified HM slave in the end.

That being said, a valid argument for HM usage can be made because there are a few Pokémon in the game which don't fully utilize their moveslots in a playthrough. But still, I'd rather have Curse in my Torterra than Strength, which is a move that doesn't add coverage and isn't very strong.

I learned the need for HM slaves in Pokémon Gold. Feraligatr couldn't learn Waterfall back then, and, since I had already chosen it as my Water-type Pokémon, I had to have an HM slave for the purpose of beating the game.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old September 15th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Gfx
╰☆╮You're Perfect ❤

Nature: Jolly
I have certain HMs distributed through my team. But I don't use Flash at all. Cut and Rock Smash are the only ones I really put on a weaker Pokemon and just get them when I need it. I don't like a full party of 6 normally anyways. Too much balanced training leaves them weak.

Old September 15th, 2013, 11:16 AM
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipmunkGamingInc. View Post
I must highly agree with you. HM slaves are simply wrong. They sound wrong, and they don't serve a purpose.

You don't train them, you don't care about them, so what happens if all you Pokemon are defeated and all you have is an exceptionally weak HM slave?

If you play through the game without HM slaves, you'll have a heck of an easier time. For example, my starter Pokemon, an Empoleon, knows both Rock Smash and Cut. I actually taught him Cut yesterday. Why? It's a fairly good move. I've destroyed my friends' teams through just Cut.

One Pokemon I didn't realize had all HM moves was my Level 100 Quagsire. I use him most of the time, and he's one of my main competitors. He knows Surf, Dive, Waterfall, and Flash.

HM slaves are unloved, unused, and under-leveled. If you're going to have an HM slave, at least train it along with your other Pokemon.
Finally, someone has the exact same opinion as me! I like to have a full team of 6 Pokémon and I train them all evenly, so there's no way I'm giving all of the HM's to 2 Pokémon. How will they hold their own in battle? They won't and I don't like that. I would honestly feel bad if 2 of my 6 Pokémon were useless in battle, which is why I refuse to play that way because for me personally, using "HM Slaves" actually makes the game less enjoyable. I don't understand how people have a hard time beating the game with HM's on their team. If you train a Pokémon to level 100, and it has 1-2 HM's, you still have 2 powerful moves. I don't see the difficulty. I'm not talking competitive battling, I'm talking about the "single player campaign"
And like you said you've used HM's in competitive battling and still kicked butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
The only reason people complain about HM slaves is because of the term "slave". In games like Emerald and Platinum, are you really going to waste precious move slots with stuff like Rock Climb and Dive? I don't think so.
Yes I am.

Quote:
The OP has a Wailord with all the Water HMs. Well that means you can move about easily, but it also means the Wailord is going to be destroyed by anything it can't attack effectively. It's really just a glorified HM slave in the end.
The only reason Wailord has all 3 water HM's is because I don't like to use more than 1 Pokémon of the same type in my party, which is a common strategy. The only water HM another Pokémon in my party can learn is Surf on Aggron, but I try to make moves have STAB whenever possible so I kept it on Wailord. If a grass or electric Pokémon is brought out I'll just switch Pokémon. If there were less water HM's in generation 3 then Wailord would obviously not have them. He's not a slave!
I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old September 15th, 2013, 11:27 AM
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes I am.

Quote:
The only reason Wailord has all 3 water HM's is because I don't like to use more than 1 Pokémon of the same type in my party, which is a common strategy. The only water HM another Pokémon in my party can learn is Surf on Aggron, but I try to make moves have STAB whenever possible so I kept it on Wailord. If a grass or electric Pokémon is brought out I'll just switch Pokémon. If there were less water HM's in generation 3 then Wailord would obviously not have them. And unlike typical "HM Slaves", I actually train Wailord to the same level as my other Pokémon and use him in battle. He's not a slave!

Last edited by pokemasta92; September 15th, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old September 15th, 2013, 12:35 PM
WhiteKnightL

I try to keep the more important HMs (Fly and Surf, mainly) on as few Pokemon as possible. I have a Vaporeon and a Swanna that know Surf, while I gave my Tranquill (now an Unfezant) Fly until I beat the game. At that point I gave Fly to my Swanna, and then to a Pidgey I transferred from my Soul Silver file.

One of my Audinos has Flash, my Mienshao, Watchog, and Weavile both have Strength, and my Weavile and Watchog have Cut. Pretty much all the Pokemon I use for HM purposes, though I admit I feel bad for my Watchog since the only non-HM move it has is Crunch.

"You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take the time to imagine the impossible. That maybe you survive." -The Ninth Doctor

I'm a Catholic Whovian who loves to watch anime and read manga, discovering my faith while still trying to to enjoy the things I love. Feel free to PM me for questions or just to chat!

Black 2 file
Palom
FC: 3483 3007 8236
Feel free to add me to trade and/or battle! Could really use some friends in BW2!

Poetry thread (please check it out!): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=310154

My trade thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307887
Old September 15th, 2013, 12:40 PM
80C
12341 #4xx012

No, In Generation 1 & 2 usually I teach moves like Surf or Strenght to some powerful pokemon of the team while the pokemon that know CUT, FLASH or something else of those "weak" HM Moves are always deposited in the PC and withdrew at the moment.
Gen 3 is an exception that I will explain a few later.

I think this fact of the HM Slaves is more common from Gen.3 and above, because the total amount of HMs was increased as well as the HM object obstacles - in R\S\E there are more rocks that you need to break (a lot more) and a lot of trees (in R\B\Y & G\S\C there weren't so many).

I think many people here that played R\S\E would admit that they (ab)used of HM Slaves (or maybe instead "occasional" HM Slaves) expecially in the Victory Path because in there you have to use almost every HM Move in the game (Flash, Rock break, surf, waterfall and strenght).
Old September 15th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Magykx
It's too cold for you here.

Nature: Bold
I normally use HMs such as Surf and Waterfall on my main water type, but useless HMs like Cut, etc. I just use a slave for.
Old September 18th, 2013, 07:53 PM
BourbonWhiskey
Pokemon Stained Memories

Me. A waste of slot, IMO. I want to play my game with the Pokemon I like the most. I could just go back to the center and get the HM Pokemon I need whenever I need them.

FOR TRADE:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mc&usp=sharing

3DS Friend Code: 5215-0717-7839
3655 3173 6505 - Pokemon White 2 Friend Code MAIN GAME
2323 8675 3566 - Pokemon Black 2 Friend Code[/sig-reason]
Old September 19th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
I don't like using HM Slaves only because they take up space, but at the same time I'd rather not give weaker moves to my main party Pokémon. It takes away the fun from having a more diverse move pool when you have to cater to adding HM moves too. So normally I'd keep an HM Slave with me until I'm ready for my final team member. By then I'd just store it in a PC Box and take it out whenever the time calls for it. I prefer catching a Pokémon who can learn at least three, if not four, of the HMs so that way I don't have to have more than one. The only exceptional HM moves I teach to my main party would be Fly, Surf, and Waterfall because they're used frequently and also because they don't suck.
Old September 19th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Black Dynamite
Resident Noob

Nature: Adamant
if only hm's were separate from the 4 move pool.
i always loved surf though i felt it was the water equivalent of thunderbolt, flamethrower and ice beam.

the closest thing i had to a hm slave was my rhydon, which new strength, rock smash and cut but also knew earthquake. and it was the same level as my other pokemon.
also one of my gyarados' knew waterfall dive and surf. but they're all somewhat strong so i dnt mind too much.
Old September 19th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Mia Mew
✧・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚

Nature: Gentle
I'm glad someone finally understands what I mean! I split them up, always. I feel like it's unfair to pile it all on one Pokemon. I know the HMs aren't really good for competitive battling (except for surf?) but I was never much into that stuff anyways.
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:27 AM
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by idankingo View Post
Also off-topic: You gave your starter HM?! Such bad trainers make me sick
I was going to address this comment earlier, but I guess I will now.
Yes I gave my starter an HM move. You know why? Because I can. There isn't a rule that says I have to play a certain way. I play the way I find enjoyable the same as everyone else. Not to mention that I had no trouble beating the game with my starter having an HM. Why are people so obsessed with move slots? Some people act like after they attack with 1 move they have to use the next. There are 3 other good moves he knows, all of which are STAB. I have had zero problems using him in battle. I know it will still sound foolish to you because of your opinion, but if you didn't notice Rock Smash is the only Fighting HM, and Blaziken is the only Pokémon in my party that is a Fighting type. So out of all the Pokémon I have Blaziken does the most damage with Rock Smash. That's smart in my book.
Old September 20th, 2013, 04:43 AM
Hoenn
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
Me. Don't like HM Slaves since... ever. I make it a point to never use em except for challenges and all that... because it's not worth it. There was another discussion related to this and I'll say the same: it enhances the gameplay when you take along the difficulties with you, it gives a feel of actually "playing" a game if you add your own realism to it. One of the reasons why I enjoy Pokémon, I suppose. My view isn't going to change anytime soon either.

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old September 20th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Mithel_Celestia
Alluring Illusion

Nature: Modest
HM Slaves tend to waste precious space for more stronger Pokemon. I tend to use strong enough or useful enough HMs on my team if it deems fit to them. Other less useful HMs (ex. Cut) is used on a temporary HM slave which I will box until a path needs it.

Trainer Data:
Full Name: Mithel "Myth" Celestia
Hometown: Lacunosa Town
Trainer class: Ranger, Psychic, Deceiver*
Specializes in: Dark, Psychic-Types

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:01 PM
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Using HM Slaves just takes away from the realism and fun of the game.
Do you guys think a real life Pokémon trainer would come across a big boulder blocking the way, to then walk all the way back to the previous town (Or Fly, but you still have to walk back in game. You could still fly back in real life.), go to the Pokémon Center, use the PC, deposit one of your good Pokémon because you already have a full team, take out a weak HM Slave that knows the move you need, walk all the way back, just to move the boulder? I don't think so. Yeah you've cleared the way now, but the problem is now you only have 5 Pokémon of your main team. If you want the 6th back I guess you could go back to the previous town and get it, but oh wait now the boulder reset. Even in real life where a boulder wouldn't reset, a real person wouldn't walk to and back and to and back a town. That would even be too much flying. So your only choice now is to continue on, but now you won't be able to use your 6th Pokémon on the trainers or Pokémon that are ahead. Once you get to the next town you can take it out the PC, but it will not have any more experience that it should have gotten along the way. It might sound like no big deal to some people, but this is a problem I have which is why I strongly dislike using HM Slaves. Obviously I would never use a team with HM moves competitively, but I'm talking purely single player here, the main game.
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:01 PM
OmegaTL
Time Lord

Nature: Timid
I generally just spread them around my team a bit, teaching no more than 1 HM to permanent team members. I sometimes catch an HM slave if none of the Pokémon on my team can learn that move though. It usually stops me from using my usual in-game team in competitive battles, but I don't mind.

Planned X/Y team so far: Fennekin evo, Charizard, Blaziken, ???, ???, ???
Like Doctor Who? Come join us at Peladon!
Old September 20th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Jimmyray
Oldie

There's only a handful of crappy HM's in each game, enough for just one slave, or to be distributed among your in-game team without restricting you too much. As much as it is annoying to get to a late game 'Cut' tree and not have anything that knows Cut, it is equally as annoying when, say, your Krookodile wants to learn Outrage but it already knows Earthquake, Stone Edge, Crunch & Cut and you know what you want to delete but you can't. Depends which problem you'd rather be faced with. The good thing about gen 5 games is you could delete any TM move for a move like Outrage, then go to the move deleter, get rid of the HM and then re-teach the TM move without losing the TM itself. I would normally try and incorporate the HM's into my team. E.g. in White I kept Strength on Stoutland throughout and it was actually a really good STAB move, and Fly is never a bad shout in-game, but moves like Rock Climb, Defog, Rock Smash, Cut & Flash can be a pain when they are HM's and not TM's.
Platinum: 1290 5591 8589
White: 1119 9903 5644
White 2: 0477 0343 3480
3DS: 0104 0289 0550
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:50 AM
TheClassyOrca
What's the gist, physicist?

Nature: Relaxed
I don't use them at all because they take up space on my team. If I need to use HMs I just go to the Pokemon Center and grab one with the move. Sometimes I teach HMs to my team members like Surf and Fly.

Friend Code: 4656-6047-2332
~~
"Someone else's success is not your failure." - Jim Parsons
Old September 25th, 2013, 07:08 AM
SoundDesperado

I wish HMs were never put into Pokemon. The moves can stay but what they shouldv'e done instead is have a seperate stat screen that shows up to 8 different abilities. If it had that ability and the according badge then they should be able to do that action. Why should I teach a Staraptor to Fly? Why should the ability to push a boulder take up a move slot for something more useful. I generally start with a HM slave, then when I reach the Move Deleter, I get rid of HMs I don't need after a while like Cut and Dive.
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Eevee
╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Eevee
I do a mixture of the last two options in the poll. In the beginning of the game, I used to make many of the Pokemon in my team have the HMs and then let them forget the move later on to make room for better moves. I've never had actual Pokemon with all their moves (or most) being HMs.

Then once I beat the game, I'll end up switching my teams around but always have at least one Pokemon in my PC to have an HM move (or more). The only HM I constantly have in my party is Fly because, well, Fly is REALLY useful.

Old September 25th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Rei Shingetsu
真月 零

Nature: Sassy
Hmm, the only HMs I keep on my actual team are Fly, Surf and Waterfall.

The rest are on HM Slaves/ Other suitable Pokemon that I am not using.

BARIAN EMPEROR

. R E I . S H I N G E T S U .

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links