The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing

Notices

Fan Fiction and Writing Submit your stories and poems.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 13th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Slayr231
Aspiring Writer, or something

Nature: Calm
As long as you make it clear. It does fit the style of your story, but don't slather it on too thick. You still want the reader engaged in the diary story.

And yes, commas are the bane of writers everywhere.
Old March 16th, 2014, 07:05 AM
adventure
satellite physician

Nature: Naive
So, how much have you guys written lately?

I've still got a set path to work along with my Color story, so I've been working on it rather steadily, I'd say, without any writer's block. Not written much else though (except for an essay and a few lab reports, but). There's the occasional RP post, of course, but I'm never as careful with how I write those as I am with fics. In RPs, things need to be said and happen, they don't need to be the most perfect texts ever. Imo.
paired with : abnegation
roleplay: CLOUD v2.0
Old March 16th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Slayr231

I haven't written much, if at all lately. I've been caught up with college and finals that are happening next week. I'm looking forward to writing once again once this whole quarter is over. I have my next project all planned out, I just need to start writing it.
Old March 16th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Slayr, I am so anxious for you to finish this semester. I can only imagine how you feel, just counting down the days until you're done.

I haven't really written much. I started work on a new story, but the beginning wasn't sounding right to me, so I'm going to start fresh. All I've really done so far this month is write a page of one story and a few paragraphs of a short story. I'm hoping that will change this week, though. I'm going to have some more time to write starting tomorrow!
Old March 17th, 2014, 02:39 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
I've started uni again, so naturally I've been writing more. No, that isn't a typo. :V

It's the train trips, really. I have quite the commute there and back so if I'm not into a paper or coding (which can be fun, haha) or trying to sleep (or also just catching it with a friend who also lives far off), I write. And I can get a fair bit done when I'm in the groove with train trips, haha. May get a few (shorter) fics out as a result this year! Last year though it was just articles for the webzine I run, because especially in the 2nd half of the year things were very frantic, and I was writing more in the way of assignments and thesis drafts.

But not so much writing in evenings on weekdays. Like today. Way too tired, but that's what happens when you combine uni with karate before coming home. :<

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old March 17th, 2014, 06:14 AM
adventure
satellite physician

It's good that you can use your train time like that :)

As for me, my pace of writing picks up when I really know what I want to write about... Aaaand when I really should be doing something else. It's like, Rika is active on PC = it's exam times.
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Murkmire
Vile, Venomous Villain
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Hello, hello, fellow writers. Pleasured to be here. It's been a long time for me since I've written anything of a story. Although, I DID have a Pokemon fanfic in development. Sadly, it only made it to two chapters... But, anyway! Current "topic."

So, how much have you guys written lately?

I actually wrote three poems. In one night. I'm thoroughly confused, as before I couldn't even begin to think where to start. But, in my Docs are three okay poems.
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Slayr231

Oh man, poems. I've tried writing them out before, but I can only seem to do it when I'm emotionally charged. I have no idea how to critique them, and I have no idea how to write them. It's a shame. We did have a few good poets around, but then they disappeared.
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Murkmire
Vile, Venomous Villain
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayr231 View Post
Oh man, poems. I've tried writing them out before, but I can only seem to do it when I'm emotionally charged. I have no idea how to critique them, and I have no idea how to write them. It's a shame. We did have a few good poets around, but then they disappeared.
Then it looks like I'll have to take up that space. It's good to be here. I'll definitely try to write more poetry.
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Slayr231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murkmire View Post
Then it looks like I'll have to take up that space. It's good to be here. I'll definitely try to write more poetry.
Yay, that's what I like to hear! :D

I did write some kid poetry when I was younger. Maybe I should dig those up and try to write some new ones. I do like rhyming...
Old March 19th, 2014, 04:39 AM
adventure
satellite physician

I wrote a pretty amusing Limerick in English once. Other than that, I don't seem to be a poet 8)
Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:35 AM
Alex
TheRose, Pt
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
My poems tend to have a purpose to them, and often they act as a coping mechanism for me, which is why they're like they are, and why I don't write them very often.

I did my time and I want out
So effusive – fade – it doesn’t cut
The soul is not so vibrant
The reckoning, the sickening
Packaging subversion
Pseudo–sacrosanct perversion
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:58 PM
adventure
satellite physician

Poems is a way to make words and text sound good. But how about when you write on a forum or other digital place and want to make your text look good - do you care? Do you prefer to write in certain fonts or do you think a lot about how you space up your dialogue and sentences and stuff? Or do you even mix in art?

Yeah this could totally be a Writer's Lounge topic I realized now O.o But nah.

Personally, I like plain dark text on bright background. Simple fonts, very spacy text. Both when I read and type myself. No fancy stuff, no background images or stuff. I guess illustrations here and there, or at least one per chapter would be incredibly cool though, if I was able to make them.
Old March 25th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Slayr231

I don't spend too much time on wording. I just use the default font and color, since I think what you're trying to convey works best with words, rather than flashy fonts. In some cases, it makes you seem like you're trying to hard, in my opinion.
Old March 28th, 2014, 05:52 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Default font and regular spacing (as if I was posting on the forum) for me, for the most part. I suppose sticking to default font/colour when posting is purposeful, because it can look bad when on a different skin, so really default is best.

I'll use some formatting to better present e.g. thoughts/telepathic speech (italics), and signs (centreing, bold), but otherwise it's pretty simple.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old March 30th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Murkmire
Vile, Venomous Villain
Community Supporter

I think the imagery of the text and background can deliver a bit more with poetry, as well as any story. But, that's just me. ;P I don't mind the traditional black text and white background, though.

Also, I have three posts of poetry in my poetry thread, if any of you would like to check it out maybe... ?
Old April 9th, 2014, 09:37 AM
adventure
satellite physician

dis needz bumpin

So, I don't usually write much fanfiction but I recently started to write one for Doctor Who, rather seriously. I have it all planned out and I'm posting it online and receiving some feedback and followers. Feels odd to have people read my things. Oddly good :3

And my story here on PC got sort of halted because I started rewriting it in my native language which kind of felt better, to be honest. We'll see if I pick the English one up at some point, maybe just to have something to rewrite once I catch up with it in the Swedish version xD

Do you guys rewrite old stories or do you think that once you've written something and put it away, you shouldn't try and make a different story of it? I'm not talking about editing and minor things, I'm talking about revamping a whole concept to try and make it a more or less different story. I've done that, many times.
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Slayr231

I don't really rewrite stuff because I don't have much to rewrite quite yet. Maybe when I have more stories I'll go back and rewrite some of them. Alien Poverty got off track of my original plan, so I'll definitely be rewriting that in the future.
Old April 9th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
I did that before. There was one fic (not Pokemon) that was around 13K that had several concept and canon problems here and there. I then did another story and put a few ideas from my previous 13K fic in it since I like the ideas and want to do them justice.

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]
Old April 9th, 2014, 04:23 PM
ShaymieTheShaymin
Menma~
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to ShaymieTheShaymin
Hey hey, all! This is my first time posting here (woot woot!) I hope to see all of you around~

Thanks for everything today. Tomorrow I'll go to heaven. Please be my friends until the very end.
Old April 9th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

If it counts as a major rewrite, I just had that happen to me.

I have one story that I've been trying to write for the past few years. The basics of the plot has stayed the same, along with some details of the characters. I finished one version last year, thought that I was done, but during the editing phase, things weren't working well.

So I started the story over again with the changes in mind. Except I didn't know how to get the plot to move along because I wasn't sure why the characters would decide to do a Thing To Move Plot.

So I started the story over again with differences in the characters' motivations, to see if that would help. Except then I finally realized that the problem with the story is that the two main characters have absolutely zero chemistry together.

So I started the story over again after reworking a character and the story seems to be going better. Before, I used to struggle to get a page written for this story. Now I'm just so excited to sit down and write, and I'm constantly thinking over the plot. I hope that soon I'll have some time to concentrate on it. My days are so busy that I don't get much time to write. :(
Old April 10th, 2014, 02:45 AM
Thy King Slate
It's not a bad thing ;D

Nature: Bashful
To be honest, When I write my stories I just go for it.Y'know? Once I'm done writing the basics of my story I deepen plot with some conflicts and throw some characters along with it. Music thoroughly helps me with writing. It kinda sets the mood for me. :D

If I was Da Vinci, you'd be Mona Lisa
Paint a smile perfectly on you.
And if I was James Dean, you could be my Audrey
Breakfast at Tiffany's for two.
So throw me away
Cause if I were a boomerang
I'd turn around and come back to you.

Old April 10th, 2014, 08:11 AM
adventure
satellite physician

Music really helps, yes! I've always got some suitable tracks or even more often soundtracks from movies or games in the background when I'm writing stories.
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Fernbutter
Murder is the way.

Send a message via Skype™ to Fernbutter
I agree, music really does help one get into the mood especially when you're writing, but it's probably recommended to listen to the right music, like when you're going to be writing a sad romance story but listen to some pretty heavy wub drops. I tried doing something like this, it doesn't work that way.

Also, recently written? Hmm, I probably wrote a tonne of random short horror stories here and there for no actual reason in particular, but I guess it kind of helps me calm down, somehow. But I am really trying my best to actually finish up my novel because it's been a really long time already but, gah procrastination!

There should be a signature here somewhere.
I wonder where it's gone.
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Slayr231

I have a playlist for songs that help me write. A lot of the music is from the How to Train Your Dragon soundtrack. Now those are some good songs!

Also, I saw a movie yesterday. It was good, but I couldn't help but think how I would have changed a few parts. The plot was okay, but I found the writing to be weak and not very consistent. Do you guys ever find yourselves critiquing movies and the like?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links