The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 11th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Tsutarja

Nature: Jolly

Advertise here
I'm fine with Windows and OSX as well.. I started out with Windows 98 and from my kindergarten year to my 5th grade year, my school had Apple computers that ran Mac OS 9 and iMac G3s that ran Mac OS 9.2.

In my junior year of high school I got to use OSX 10.5 (Leopard) because my school had iMacs for video editing machines.

Super Smash Staff Collab
mod pairs family twitter pc social sites
Old August 11th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
NY wife mentioned getting rid of my six and a half year old custom built desktop last night. I grunted. I totally don't use it but I don't want to be rid of it ;;
Old August 11th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Tsutarja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
NY wife mentioned getting rid of my six and a half year old custom built desktop last night. I grunted. I totally don't use it but I don't want to be rid of it ;;
I would agree with you on that one.. it wouldn't hurt to keep it should whatever you use now fail, and it could possibly serve as a backup.

Super Smash Staff Collab
Old August 11th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Purple Materia
Shape the future!
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachLMedia View Post
I would agree with you on that one.. it wouldn't hurt to keep it should whatever you use now fail, and it could possibly serve as a backup.
I would've re-purposed it as a home server or something.

"I have fallen from the Land of Magic. I am Stardust Witch Meruru!"
Combat Arms | Raptr | Hummingbird | Last.fm
Old August 11th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Tsutarja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Materia View Post
I would've re-purposed it as a home server or something.
That's exactly what I did with my old desktop (before I got my new main deskto), was turn it into a server. I host files on it and I run a small IRC server off of it.

Anyways, speaking of IRC, does anyone out here still use IRC in any way?

Super Smash Staff Collab
Old August 11th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Purple Materia
Shape the future!
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Anyways, speaking of IRC, does anyone out here still use IRC in any way?
I would if I knew where to start. I want to be social but I don't even really want to make an effort.

"I have fallen from the Land of Magic. I am Stardust Witch Meruru!"
Combat Arms | Raptr | Hummingbird | Last.fm
Old August 11th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Tsutarja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Materia View Post
I would if I knew where to start. I want to be social but I don't even really want to make an effort.
You could start out by using a web client such as mibbit and find a server/channel you want to be in. If you decide you like IRC, then feel free to download an IRC client such as XChat or mIRC!

Super Smash Staff Collab
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I use IRC occasionally. I used to use it a ton but meh. And my desktop is running Linux and running a samba server is a pain in the ass and I usually just have it off :x Idk, I'll figure out something to do with it.
Old August 11th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
You could start out by using a web client such as mibbit and find a server/channel you want to be in. If you decide you like IRC, then feel free to download an IRC client such as XChat or mIRC! :)
IceChat 9 is also pretty good, although it can be confusing at first. I still use it from time to time, but not a lot like I want to be.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old August 12th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
I'm attached to HexChat at this point (which is basically a build of XChat for Windows),
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Tsutarja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪Twiggy♪ View Post
I'm attached to HexChat at this point (which is basically a build of XChat for Windows),
HexChat is probably the best out there for free IRC clients, if you ask me. Their builds are typically always up-to-date from that of the older XChat 2 or even the regular XChat for Windows (which you have to pay for).

As for me, I do use mIRC because I have mIRC scripts that I use on occasion (in my IRC server only, not elsewhere), and I find it to be a program that is easy to customize its settings to your liking, but the only problem I have with it is that it isn't free.

I'm also usually always on IRC because I use an IRC bouncer known as ZNC, which can allow for me to disconnect from my client and save logs on whichever channel I ask for it to do so. I run my ZNC server locally here at my house as well.

Super Smash Staff Collab

Last edited by Tsutarja; August 12th, 2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old August 15th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Tsutarja

So I wound up today booting up my laptop for the first time in two weeks, and my new tablet is likely to blame for that.. does anyone else here use a tablet in place of a laptop? I find that while tablets are limited on what they can do, for me, I was just using my laptop to Skype and browse the internet, both of which I can do on my tablet.

Super Smash Staff Collab
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:08 AM
R.F.
Badass Overlord

Nature: Calm
I pretty much need mouse and keyboard, even though tablets seem kinda interesting especially if you want to draw something. But with a tablet pc I couldn't do all the stupid/crazy stuff I like to do on computers like yesterday I installed out of boredom a webserver on my local VM installation of Gentoo.

But I do own a external tablet which I can plug in whenever I want.
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Tsutarja

Oh I was talking about tablets like the iPad or the Nexus 7, not drawing tablets haha

But I also used to run my own web server as well, but I had to kill it because it was consuming bandwidth on my network. I still run an IRC server, though, which isn't bad.

Super Smash Staff Collab
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:30 AM
R.F.
Badass Overlord

Nature: Calm
I wasn't talking about graphics tablets either. The only upside I can get out of tablets is using them as graphics tablets xD

I only hope that there will always be some "normal" computers to buy. I can't even imagine if someday all will be pcs with touch feature. Like I said I prefer mouse and keyboard. ^^
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:52 AM
AliasHackyCat

I quite agree that mouse and keyboard is nice... Specially when it's a cf (canadian french) keyboard, it's multilanguage, smooth... And easy to use. :D I also like using a pad, and actually, I HATE touchscreens. xD

Also, about the irc chat and all, I think that TorChat is better, completly anonymous and encrypted chat.
Old August 16th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Nothing can truly beat a laptop's physical keyboard when it comes to productivity tasks.

Though, a Surface (RT or Pro) with the Type Cover (having real keys and all) comes pretty close, though.
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Tsutarja

That's the one thing a laptop is best for in my situation these days, is productivity.

And if we're talking keyboards, I always use Swype on my tablet. It's much easier to use than making several individual keystrokes with your finger if you ask me, but I also cost the fact of making several typos at times, too. >_<

Super Smash Staff Collab
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:46 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Half the time Swype can't even guess the word I'm trying to enter even though I've hit every single letter, but then it turns around and guesses the exact word I'm looking for when I'm sort of just haphazardly hitting letters in the word. It's quite astounding how inconsistent it can be.
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Doctor
& time lord

Nature: Naive
My friend loves using swype all the time. I mostly miss and type wrong when I try, but that's probably because I'm not that used to it.

Keyboard. It'll be a long time, if ever, before touch screens can win over a proper keyboard and mouse imo.
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
I never really got into swype. Probably cause the first time I tried it, I randomly swept my finger and got "dick".

I took that as an omen. I'll stick to my ancient phone. :3
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Doctor
& time lord

Nature: Naive
I was on my way to reply something kind of spammy and funny there, then remembered that this is not the MMO DCC. Ehehem. Why are so many mods posting in succession here? xD

Ancient, you say? You mean you have not got a smartphone? Or not even a phone with a touch screen?
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Dter ic
(=^ェ^=)

Since Android JellyBean, Swype kinda lost it's nichie being a swiping based keyboard becuase the stock android keyboard now has that funtionallity built in. Works well enough for me.
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Tsutarja

I still prefer Swype because it can produce more suggestions than Android's gesture keyboard and because of how it gets you the word once you finish the swipe. But Android's gesture keyboard is cool as well.

Super Smash Staff Collab
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I'm still using the stock Android keyboard on my phone that's running 4.0. I'm not sure if I'll change it or not, it's good enough for me as of now.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here