The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty

Advertise here
I'm very fond of the Windows Phone software keyboard. It tends to deliberately fudge with the hitboxes of keys on the software keyboard to better predict the next letter.

It works.
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Purple Materia
Shape the future!
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Careful
I really, REALLY like using Swype. :p It's probably the thing I'm looking forward to most when I get my first smartphone in about two weeks.

LG Optimus M+, for those wondering.

"I have fallen from the Land of Magic. I am Stardust Witch Meruru!"
Combat Arms | Raptr | Hummingbird | Last.fm
Old August 17th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Tsutarja
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Oh, I really wish I had a smartphone.. it's unfortunate enough that I never was able to fit in with mobile technology because my parents simply refused to buy me one

But if I were to get a Smartphone, I'm not sure what I would get now.. Windows mobile, perhaps? I have an Android device (my Nexus 7), and I have my iPod Touch 4G. I prefer to be neutral in most OS wars, but sometimes I will say there are things I like better about certain operating systems than others.
Old August 17th, 2013, 08:21 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

I'm curious as to what the Windows phone OS is like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪Twiggy♪ View Post
I'm very fond of the Windows Phone software keyboard. It tends to deliberately fudge with the hitboxes of keys on the software keyboard to better predict the next letter.

It works.
Swype gets better at anticipating what you want to input the more you use it, but those first couple months can be a pain when you're constantly adding new "words" to its dictionary.
Old August 18th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
I'm curious as to what the Windows phone OS is like.

Swype gets better at anticipating what you want to input the more you use it, but those first couple months can be a pain when you're constantly adding new "words" to its dictionary.
The thing about Windows Phone's software keyboard is that it's also the work of years of experience from keyboard input telemetry from software keyboards. If anything, Microsoft knows its way around software keyboards on phones. Sometimes I can literally touch-type touch-type on a phone...

When you have years of experience fiddling with software keyboards, it's very easy to get it right for the general public when it comes to text prediction. No need to build things.
Old August 18th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Tsutarja
Community Supporter

It seems though that with me using my Nexus 7 way more than my iPod Touch now, the iOS keyboard looks very small for my fingers, and just before I had my Nexus, I was very well used to typing on my iPod Touch's keyboard.. now, that has changed and the keys feel smaller.

And I've probably used my tablet way too much now, because I've added quite a few custom words to my Swype dictionary (including PokéCommunity! ), and I have gotten to the point where my swipes are sloppier and it still knows which word I want.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 02:16 AM
Tsutarja
Community Supporter

Hmm, guess we could go for a new topic here?

What type(s) of device(s) do you guys seem to use more than others?

Nowadays I find myself using my desktop way more than my laptop, mainly because of its performance. From the time I got my current laptop up through the time I got my current desktop, I had always seen myself using my laptop more because my previous desktop ran XP and it wasn't the best at multitasking either towards the end of its reign.

However, even with my current laptop usage slipping, it's also fallen more now that I have my new Nexus 7 tablet. But the fact that the laptop is 3½ years old now and wearing out is another reason why I'm kinda abandoning usage of it.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:59 AM
Catalyst.
Nothing of significance

I mostly use one of my two desktops - I have a powerhouse one running Windows 8 for gaming, and a rather average one running 10.8.4 hackintosh, for iOS development. I also have a Nexus 7, which I use while away from the computer, or while something is loading on whatever PC I happen to be using (yeah, multitasker). I also have an iPod Touch 5G which combined with Skype I use instead of an iPhone.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:39 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

I still spend a significant amount of time on my laptop.

It's there for watching DVD movies.
It's also there for gaming needs, both casual and hard-core, so to speak.
And it's always there for documents in Office 2013.
It's extremely handy for developing and testing applications that I write regularly, both for myself and university assignments.

Try that with a phone or a non-Windows tablet. And even Windows tablets need a real keyboard and some kind of pointing device to be truly usable for productivity tasks.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:20 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Laptop = skype with u folks. Desktop = gaming. Phone = skype on the go.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 03:40 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I use my laptop a lot. Far more than my phone or my desktop. It does a lot more and suits me better.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old August 22nd, 2013, 05:35 PM
Tsutarja
Community Supporter

The general trend with me is that I usually wind up changing my priorities on device usage whenever I get a new device, and as I've already said, my new Nexus 7 has replaced me using my laptop, even at home. But I have a feeling that my laptop usage would increase again once I get into college and begin to work on nothing but assignments.

Speaking of assignments, what do y'all use for typing up documents? Word? OpenOffice? Or whatever comes with the computer?

I just mainly use Word 2007 since I've had it for nearly 5 years now, and it works fine for me.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 07:59 PM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

I have a couple of desktops and laptops in my house. I use laptops more often, though, because they're portable and very convenient. We're able to carry them anywhere we want, indoor or outdoor. Every laptop has a battery, so when the electricity's out, we'll still be able to use them. Also, laptops, in my opinion, have better designs and look more modern.

For typing up documents, I always use Google Drive. It allows you to save your files on the air, so you'll always be able to access them regardless of where you are or what computer you're using. =) Plus, Google Drive has an offline mode, which allows you to work on your documents even if you don't have internet.

Last edited by Peitharchia; August 23rd, 2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old August 24th, 2013, 12:19 AM
R.F.
Badass Overlord

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachLMedia View Post
Speaking of assignments, what do y'all use for typing up documents? Word? OpenOffice? Or whatever comes with the computer?
LaTeX. It takes forever to learn, for ever to write and is more programming than writing, but documents look so much better than writing them with office software. Also there are so many libraries to use. You can even draw Petri Nets or trees if using the right library.
Old August 24th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Catalyst.
Nothing of significance

Quote:
Mostly LibreOffice, the OS X version runs quite smoothly. I also have Apple's Pages and Keynote installed, but I don't use them often.
Old August 24th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Dter ic
(=^ェ^=)

My Macbook Air is my main computer I use at home. I may sometimes use the desktop downstairs if no one is using it (that's usually early morning ) and use that to watch anime since it can deal with 10bit anime better than my laptop can.
Least used will have to be my tablet since I use it for school work and it's not often I get to use it in class.

As far as office suite's go, I'm using Libre Office since it's free. Don't ever have to see that annoying green line saying 'Fragment, consider revising' >: I have all my school work backed up on my dropbox account since I can access my work anywhere.
Old August 24th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Tsutarja
Community Supporter

I guess I really should consider cloud services such as Google Drive for assignments when I start college soon! I do know that Google Doc is good with spreadsheets as I have used one there before, but not to a regular extent. And placing schoolwork documents into a Dropbox folder seems like a really good idea as well.

I usually only use Dropbox to host images personally that I want on the internet, but just ones that I ever may potentially want to delete. The one thing I dislike about them though is their 2GB limit.
Old August 27th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Quote:
I guess I really should consider cloud services such as Google Drive for assignments when I start college soon! :) I do know that Google Doc is good with spreadsheets as I have used one there before, but not to a regular extent. And placing schoolwork documents into a Dropbox folder seems like a really good idea as well.

I usually only use Dropbox to host images personally that I want on the internet, but just ones that I ever may potentially want to delete. The one thing I dislike about them though is their 2GB limit. -_-
lol I have 5.75 GB of space on my Dropbox from all sorts of things, including all my invites. I have a 3TB external hard drive for all my other things, like my Wii backups, and whatnot as well, and an array of USB sticks too. I'm not too avid of cloud storage because I don't always have internet access wherever I go, so having a hard drive with my stuff on it is much better for me.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old August 27th, 2013, 08:41 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Sorry guys for changing the topic suddenly, but do you guys know if some normal cords will work for SNES?

(I need to know :( :p)

Old August 27th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Sorry guys for changing the topic suddenly, but do you guys know if some normal cords will work for SNES?

(I need to know :( :p)
Dunno if you saw the comment I left, but SNES, N64, and Gamecube video out cables are all interchangeable.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Old August 28th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Tsutarja
Community Supporter

It's perfectly okay to change the topic if one goes inactive, and in this case, it did.

And I had no idea that the SNES/N64 used the same video cable for the GameCube.. but I guess that does make sense. After all, the PS/PS2/PS3 have the same type of cable as well, and my brother loaned me his PS3 A/V cables to use with my PS2 and they work fine.
Old August 28th, 2013, 02:21 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
Dunno if you saw the comment I left, but SNES, N64, and Gamecube video out cables are all interchangeable.
problem is, I only have Wii :p

oh well, if I can find a compatible AC adapter, then I can probably play it at school :p

Old August 29th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Tsutarja
Community Supporter

Now y'all are really making me want to find another AC adapter for my NES.. I havent had one for it in so long, and it's still a fully functional too.

By the way, does anyone have a recommendation (away from Ubuntu) of a Linux distro to use on a spare laptop I have? Just an excuse for me to try something new :p
Old August 29th, 2013, 04:58 AM
R.F.
Badass Overlord

Nature: Calm
Quote:
By the way, does anyone have a recommendation (away from Ubuntu) of a Linux distro to use on a spare laptop I have? Just an excuse for me to try something new :p
You could try ElementaryOS. Even though it's origins lay in Ubuntu and Mint it looks kinda interesting. Also it's a rather new distro and uses some rather unknown programms for daily stuff.

If you want you could even try Arch Linux or Gentoo but it takes a lot of time to get these installed xD
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Quote:
Now y'all are really making me want to find another AC adapter for my NES.. I havent had one for it in so long, and it's still a fully functional too.
I once found out that the AC adapter I had for my amplified TV antenna also worked on my NES. Same voltage and socket size. And that's what I'm still using! xD

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here