The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet Need help on your technology problems, whether your computer is malfunctioning, or you need help removing a virus? Perhaps you also want to chill and talk about the internet as a whole, too! Looks like you've come to the right place then!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Terabyte

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F. View Post
You could try ElementaryOS. Even though it's origins lay in Ubuntu and Mint it looks kinda interesting. Also it's a rather new distro and uses some rather unknown programms for daily stuff.

If you want you could even try Arch Linux or Gentoo but it takes a lot of time to get these installed xD
I wound up trying ElementaryOS, and it does seem like a good OS I'd use.. I also really like the dock it comes with, as it kinda has that OSX feel to it but I didn't install over it. Is there a way for me to install it inside of Windows for dual-booting if you know+?
Old August 31st, 2013, 05:20 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake

Nature: Hasty
Hah...

My laptop's hinge and screen bezel decided to give out today. At least the internal wiring is intact, so the laptop is, theoretically, usable, but I'm not taking any chances and I'm going to get it serviced come next Monday (as they're off for now).

Sure looks funky, though.
Old August 31st, 2013, 06:06 AM
Terabyte

Oh wow, how did that happen? Hopefully the repair won't be difficult and at least the wiring stayed intact.
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:16 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake

I don't even know. Open lid, bam. Pieces of the left hinge fell out, and the screen bezel gets detached at the bottom-left corner.

Perhaps I should also look for a backup computer... or maybe Toshiba might give a loaner in the meantime.
Old August 31st, 2013, 08:02 AM
Terabyte

It definitely never hurts to have a backup computer because that way you'll still at least be able to access the internet, though maybe not all your programs.

If you don't have a spare, then I would at least hope Toshiba gets you a loaner.
Old August 31st, 2013, 08:13 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake

I'm kind of stuck with a laptop that must not be closed or taken out for the time being. Monday can't come soon enough.
Old August 31st, 2013, 09:51 AM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪Twiggy♪ View Post
I'm kind of stuck with a laptop that must not be closed or taken out for the time being. Monday can't come soon enough.
this is where we learn about the magic of pets and iPods.

could you ····ing not
·
Old August 31st, 2013, 10:08 AM
Dter ic
(=^ェ^=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachLMedia View Post
I wound up trying ElementaryOS, and it does seem like a good OS I'd use.. I also really like the dock it comes with, as it kinda has that OSX feel to it but I didn't install over it. Is there a way for me to install it inside of Windows for dual-booting if you know+?
Mint is pretty sexy too. (That's if you use the Cinnamon desktop anyway)

My usual proceedure for dual booting is to ad an entry for the linux install to the windows bootlloader with EasyBCD and then installing the distro as normal. Not too complicated.
Old August 31st, 2013, 11:00 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
this is where we learn about the magic of pets and iPods.
I wish I could say that, but I need the laptop for assignments and stuff. Oh well.

Maybe this is a good time to look up on used/refurbished laptops. Just in case the main laptop breaks again. Perhaps a netbook would be a cheap, usable choice...
Old August 31st, 2013, 03:10 PM
Terabyte

Yeah, that's why I probably have plans to get a new laptop for Christmas, for once I start college I'm going to need it for assignments.

And for netbooks, the only reason I would want to go after one of those is if I was really limited on space, but most of the time, I'm not. My parents have a netbook (albeit they never use it and won't let me have it), and it's really small, so I probably wouldn't like owning one.
Old August 31st, 2013, 03:39 PM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪Twiggy♪ View Post
I wish I could say that, but I need the laptop for assignments and stuff. Oh well.

Maybe this is a good time to look up on used/refurbished laptops. Just in case the main laptop breaks again. Perhaps a netbook would be a cheap, usable choice...
Or maybe a desktop for everyday purposes and printing?

Sure, it sucks to have to deal with two computers when you print something or whatever, but use something like Dropbox/iCloud syncing and it'll be easier.

Speaking of technology, I feel like I shouldn't have bought all three games… I'm running out of money ;;

could you ····ing not
·
Old August 31st, 2013, 06:43 PM
Terabyte

Wow, I really like that idea of using Dropbox for assignments. Since I do have it on both my desktop and my laptop, I really think it'll come in handy. I'll keep that in mind once I start school

But I know Dropbox is a cloud-sharing service, and I like the feature of it syncing your files from device-to-device, but it also worries me if they look at files too because I've heard that Dropbox isn't encrypted file sharing, and they have peeked at files in the past, which is why I don't put documents up on my Dropbox, but mainly just pics instead.
Old August 31st, 2013, 06:45 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ 82.

Nature: Relaxed
Who's they?

I use dropbox for everything. Assignments, pictures, as well as the transfer of small files between computers - i don't use thumb drives anymore.
Old August 31st, 2013, 06:48 PM
Terabyte

Thumb drives still aren't a bad thing to have though, as those serve as a good media device to load operating system ISOs to in lieu of burning them to CDs/DVDs, and I have a thumb drive specific to do just that.

(and "they" = Dropbox if that was what you meant, John..)
Old August 31st, 2013, 10:11 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake

I just leave my files synched with SkyDrive.

A netbook wouldn't be of much use outside under normal situations as I spend a lot of time reading and writing text. I don't like screens that get a bit too small to my own liking. I prefer the size of lower-PPI displays when I'm working on Windows.
Old September 1st, 2013, 03:41 AM
Peitharchia
// and finite incantatem

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Peitharchia
The closest thing I have to a netbook is an iBook G4. I bought it many years ago, but I haven't really used it since then. That's why, it's still under great condition. I take it with me sometimes when I'm traveling somewhere far, though.

I've never used Dropbox, but I may start using it. It'd be a good way to make sure that I don't lose any of my important files (such as family pictures).

Old September 1st, 2013, 04:38 AM
Terabyte

There are so many services that people can use these days for cloud storage, whether it'd be Google Drive, SkyDrive, or Dropbox.. but I do wish there was a place we could go that had more space to use in the cloud (meaning more than 2GB) and still be free.

I've never used Skydrive, though, but I have used Google Drive, and as I already said, I am a regular Dropbox user, too.
Old September 1st, 2013, 05:02 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake

*has 25 GB of space in SkyDrive*

That's what I get for sticking to Hotmail (now Outlook.com) forever.
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:22 AM
Catalyst.
Nothing of significance

For cloud storage, I use Google Drive. They give you 15GB free now, which is pretty good, and unlike Skydrive, you don't have to use it forever to get it. If I ever need more space, I think it'll probably cheaper to host my own site, as DreamHost still has unlimited disk space, and just keep everything there.
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:55 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst. View Post
For cloud storage, I use Google Drive. They give you 15GB free now, which is pretty good, and unlike Skydrive, you don't have to use it forever to get it. If I ever need more space, I think it'll probably cheaper to host my own site, as DreamHost still has unlimited disk space, and just keep everything there.
Heh.

It's more of a "being a user since years gone by". It's not possible to get 25 GB on SkyDrive these days, though you do still get 7 to start with.
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:42 AM
Terabyte

I was able to boost my Dropbox space up a bit when they had certain offers a while back.. I like how companies make changes to plans, such as Microsoft reducing free SkyDrive space from 25GB to 7GB, and the older users are grandfathered in. Seems a bit unfair if you ask me.

It amazes me at how much cloud storage has become a thing in technology as of late.
Old September 1st, 2013, 12:24 PM
R.F.
Badass Overlord

Nature: Calm
I've been using Dropbox for some years and since I registered I already doubled my free space (ok it's only 4GB right now, but that's more than enough). Funnily if you wanted, you could easily get more space and that's without spending any money.

About the security issue: even emails and Google aren't save thanks to the NSA, so why bother? If you want you could manually encrypted your files (TrueCrypt and friends help a lot) so that's no problem.

Old September 1st, 2013, 02:25 PM
Catalyst.
Nothing of significance

As far as security goes it's always best to encrypt and decrypt your files on your end. You can never be sure what the companies will do with your data, but at least that way it'll be useless to them.
Old September 1st, 2013, 02:41 PM
Terabyte

That's exactly why I watch at what I put on Dropbox.. I mean the only thing as close to private I may have on my dropbox is pictures of me, but who the heck is gonna care about what I look like?
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:27 PM
xxkaylabby
[.:pokemon princess:.]

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to xxkaylabby Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to xxkaylabby Send a message via Skype™ to xxkaylabby
we were suppose to use drop box for our graphic design class, i just never really used it tho. i still have it on my computer. i just like my USB drives

|Pair|
|Theme|
|Tumblr|
|My Gallery|
|Friend Code|
|Trade Thread|

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links