The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 23rd, 2013, 07:32 AM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeliira View Post
hnnngggg this is rather tempting for me rn. *stares at iPhone* should I? or should I not? xD
If you already have a lot of data saved on your phone, then I don't recommend jailbreaking. Personally, the only reason I jailbreaked a long time ago was only because I wanted more custom options like background change.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 09:32 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Also, new topic title is totally not devoted to those who have hard drives with bad sectors.
Ah... the wonders of storage devices with bad sectors and/or inaccessible areas due to media damage. Your beloved disk integrity checker, stalling at a certain sector, trying its hardest to get something usable out of it... and mark it as bad... right after your storage device itself had did its best at reallocating it transparently several times.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 03:22 PM
Tsutarja

Nature: Jolly
I had to do a chkdsk one time and I got impatient out of it and stopped it and restarted in the middle of it, saw a lot of corrupted stuff, and redoing the chkdsk just resolved things. Learnt my lesson after that.

Super Smash Staff Collab
mod pairs family twitter pc social sites
Old December 23rd, 2013, 03:23 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
AHHHHHHHHHHH CHKDSK

how much dsk could a chkdsk chk if a chkdsk would chk dsk?
Old December 23rd, 2013, 03:59 PM
Tsutarja

A chkdsk would chk as much chkdsk as a chkdsk could chk if a chkdsk could chk dsk. Everyone knows that.

Super Smash Staff Collab
Old December 23rd, 2013, 04:13 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
A chkdsk would chk as much chkdsk as a chkdsk could chk if a chkdsk could chk dsk. Everyone knows that.

I had no idea what was happening when chkdsk first ran. I was so clueless so I just let it do its thing and Googled it up later.

But 11 hours? o___O (What size of disc would you need for that?)

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old December 23rd, 2013, 04:21 PM
Tsutarja

It's all a joke, really :P I'm really running out of ideas haha but tomorrow is the last one

Super Smash Staff Collab
Old December 23rd, 2013, 06:21 PM
SS01
#PoC Collab

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SS01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeliira View Post
Most storage I have consists of pictures from 2001 to today, and 10 gb of music.

hnnngggg this is rather tempting for me rn. *stares at iPhone* should I? or should I not? xD
Do itt. I'm very happy with it, and it's very unlikely anything will go wrong :D

Don't believe anything you hear about viruses/malware in it, that was proved false. Oh and if you've updated over the air before, restore from iTunes first or you'll be stuck in a boot loop. D:
Old December 23rd, 2013, 06:27 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I'm on a Linux machine, so I don't do CHKDSK on this :D
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:01 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Attempting to jailbreak a new device still carries the risk of voiding the warranty when the device has a hardware failure while in a jailbroken state, and common sense does go a long way in preventing malware from getting into your device, but there are no absolutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
I'm on a Linux machine, so I don't do CHKDSK on this :D
You'd better hope that you don't end up having to use an application that is just one letter away from a banned word in PC.
Old December 24th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Tsutarja

Okay so I thought of one this morning, and it may not be patch Tuesday, but hey, it's technology related! Twelve security patches!

Super Smash Staff Collab
Old December 24th, 2013, 05:05 AM
SS01
#PoC Collab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
hardware failure while in a jailbroken state
Apple replaces them anyway, if it's otherwise under the warranty. When I took my JBed iPhone in for reception issues, I just moved cydia to the last page. If they even noticed, they didn't do anything about it.
Old December 24th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Okay so I thought of one this morning, and it may not be patch Tuesday, but hey, it's technology related! Twelve security patches!
I prefer my patches in a predictable schedule for some reason. I'd rather be able to install all the patches I need in a single run per month, or be not aware of any such patching... Patch Tuesdays sure make my life... easier, since I can pretty much just go with "shut down on the second Wednesday night of each month" to get patches installed. (Exception: out-of-band patches.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS01 View Post
Apple replaces them anyway, if it's otherwise under the warranty. When I took my JBed iPhone in for reception issues, I just moved cydia to the last page. If they even noticed, they didn't do anything about it.
Usually, if the modification isn't obvious, you get away with it. Sometimes, though, you really want to play it safe, as there seems to have some cases with some manufacturers where the warranty is voided.
Old December 24th, 2013, 06:50 AM
SS01
#PoC Collab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Usually, if the modification isn't obvious, you get away with it. Sometimes, though, you really want to play it safe, as there seems to have some cases with some manufacturers where the warranty is voided.
It's kind of redundant with iOS, anyway - if the problem isn't that bad, and you can tell you're jailbroken, you can just restore. The only way it could get so bad that you can't restore is a hardware brick, and with that, they have no way of telling you're jailbroken.
Old December 24th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS01 View Post
It's kind of redundant with iOS, anyway - if the problem isn't that bad, and you can tell you're jailbroken, you can just restore. The only way it could get so bad that you can't restore is a hardware brick, and with that, they have no way of telling you're jailbroken.
I see.

Anyway, on another topic, happy first birthday to my current laptop. Somehow, I think it's gonna be replaced by next Christmas (and I don't mean tomorrow)...
Old December 24th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Cordelia
Banned

My laptop is almost two years old. :) it is still running very well. The DVD drive is broken but it still works. My son dropped it lol.
Old December 24th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Speaking of laptops, I think I should clean the keyboard. Again. It's getting a bit... greasy for some reason.
Old December 25th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Starry Windy
Take a tour ride.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Speaking of greasy, sometimes when I'm cleaning my laptop, I find that my monitor is dusty in a few days. And my old laptop is already 4 years now.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old December 25th, 2013, 01:24 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

I wish I could find a store that both sells matte screen protectors and applies them for you.

Pretty much the only stores I've seen that do both cater to MacBooks only.
Old December 25th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Tsutarja

Certainly my laptop's keyboard has gotten greasy over the years, but I have never really bothered to clean it up at all.. maybe I should.

Also, Merry Christmas everyone! Here's a recap of the Twelve Days of Christmas we had: http://pastebin.com/LEg30Uv3

Super Smash Staff Collab
Old December 25th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
My 5 year old keyboard has no grease, but the in between bits are beyond grimy.
Old December 25th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Tsutarja

Speaking of keyboards, guess what I got for my tablet for Christmas! :D

Super Smash Staff Collab
Old December 25th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Nice. Also, I just read the story on how Bill Gates was in the reddit secret santa. How cool.
Old December 25th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Makes me wonder what kind of person Steve Jobs would be if he managed to live until retirement.
Old December 25th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Cordelia
Banned

I saw that -- that's pretty awesome of him. I love to see stuff like that :D
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here