The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 28th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Nature: Jolly
I live in an area served by a rather large radio market so I have plenty to listen to on the radio.. in fact the one station I usually listen to provides commercial-free music all the time, so I'm satisfied with that.
Fairy
Old December 28th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I live in an area served by a rather large radio market so I have plenty to listen to on the radio.. in fact the one station I usually listen to provides commercial-free music all the time, so I'm satisfied with that.
How the heck do they afford that? That sounds like heaven.
Old December 28th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
How the heck do they afford that? That sounds like heaven.
It really is, to be honest xD though it's not a really strong signal either so some days I can't pick it up clearly. I believe it's just a simulcast of an HD radio station in my area on an FM frequency and doesn't have that strong of a transmission power.
Fairy
Old December 28th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Cordelia
Banned

I don't get a very strong signal on sunny days where I work on one of the radio stations I listen to. I get interference from Richmond :/ on cloudy/rainy days though no interference, lol.
Old December 28th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I've been able to get AM stations from as far as Seattle from where I live. During the winter, at least.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old December 28th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Zach
Sniiiii~

I've picked up FM transmissions at night sometimes as far away as Ocala, Gainesville and even Jacksonville, which are between 100-200 miles away from me. I bet if I listened in on AM frequencies, I could make it to Georgia Alabama or maybe even South Carolina.
Fairy
Old December 28th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
When I went to buy a dedicated radio just to get better reception for FM radio of my favourite stations, it was slightly surprising to see they still sell tape decks and the kind of radio where it's as large as a closed laptop, has wooden panelling, and needs to be powered.

Being a mobile person, I decided to pay quite a lot more and just got something that was just small enough - something that fits in my shirt pocket, but still comes with its own telescoping antenna (this is the important part) and speakers.
Old December 28th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Zach
Sniiiii~

That reminds me.. I saw a portable HD radio the other day at Kmart for $49.99.. not really going to buy it though because what would be the point in it being portable when I would want to listen to it at home?
Fairy
Old December 28th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
When I went to buy a dedicated radio just to get better reception for FM radio of my favourite stations, it was slightly surprising to see they still sell tape decks and the kind of radio where it's as large as a closed laptop, has wooden panelling, and needs to be powered.

Being a mobile person, I decided to pay quite a lot more and just got something that was just small enough - something that fits in my shirt pocket, but still comes with its own telescoping antenna (this is the important part) and speakers.
I have a boombox that has CD, aux imput, AM/FM, and cassette playback/recording. I love it so much. It's this beautiful beast. Paid like, $180 for it or something like that.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old December 28th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

I think it's more important that the Sony AM/FM radio I got has a headphones jack. This comes in very handy since I prefer keeping my listening private, even at home. It's also less likely to disturb other people, especially in the middle of the night.

That said, I think I really should get a dedicated media player that handles everything. Perhaps even something like an Android Walkman or an iPod Touch to dip my toes in the other app ecosystems.
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Hmm, maybe I just went crazy yesterday or something, unless my phone is playing games.. because it didn't drain anywhere near as much battery overnight this morning that it did yesterday...
Fairy
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Well, what was different from yesterday? Cause that's likely what changed it.
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Nothing really to be honest, except maybe that I charged it yesterday morning.
Fairy
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Well that wouldn't really change batter consumption now, would it?
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Hmm, maybe I just went crazy yesterday or something, unless my phone is playing games.. because it didn't drain anywhere near as much battery overnight this morning that it did yesterday...
Hmm...

I have an idea.

Now that you've figured out how to use the phone, you might as well as try to use it to 50%. Then charge it, and leave it plugged in. Then unplug it just before you go to sleep and do nothing else.

See how much charge is lost over your sleeping period.

(By the way, did you charge the phone before turning it on for the first time? If yes, did you unplug it as soon as it reached 100%, or did you wait for a few more hours before doing so?)
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

I really don't remember haha

I think I did its first charge on the computer though after a few hours of playing around with it, and left it plugged in all night.
Fairy
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

If you suspect the device's battery meter is wonky, charge the device completely after normal use (the battery should be at about 50% or lower - no topping the battery up) and let it stay that way for a few hours, then unplug it, and use it normally until the device automatically shuts itself down.

Do not charge as soon as possible - let the device cool itself for a few hours, then charge it using AC power. Let it charge until it's full (don't worry if the device turns itself on), and don't unplug it until it's fully charged for a few hours. That should get the battery meter "right". (You may use the device normally while charging, but don't unplug it.)

Do not do this too often. Usually, you should only need to do it once about every three months. Doing this too often can shorten the battery life of modern Li-On battery cells.
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Oh I try my best not to let devices stay plugged in all the time, because I know it ruins the battery over time if I do so.. I think my old Compaq laptop's battery got shot because of the fact I always used it plugged in, but I learned my lesson after that.
Fairy
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Oh I try my best not to let devices stay plugged in all the time, because I know it ruins the battery over time if I do so.. I think my old Compaq laptop's battery got shot because of the fact I always used it plugged in, but I learned my lesson after that.
Modern devices bypass the battery if plugged in at >95%. Even if they do charge to 100%, they'll eventually drain the battery a little bit after a while. Usually, when you unplug the battery, although the meter is showing 100%, it's going to be actually somewhere between 90 to 97%.
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

My phone died running ONE APP when the battery was at around 40%. In about 2 hours. And the app doesn't drain the phone normally. Well then.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Old December 29th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Ouch. I think your phone is pretty much crap, TF.
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

I can empty my phone's battery in about 4 hours browsing web pages over a 3G data connection. Toasty, too.

And yet, I find myself doing that pretty often. Perhaps I should look for a phone with better 3G web browsing battery life. Looks like I might want to give up on AMOLED displays...
Old December 29th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

My tablet's battery seems to drain faster if it's lower, which is strange.. it also seems to get more hot as well when the battery is lower as well, so that's why I typically keep that plugged in.

Lowest I've ever gotten my tablet battery down to was maybe 20%.
Fairy
Old December 29th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Cordelia
Banned

I get around four hours screen time in a charge, which is better than the three hours I got before. I changed kernels to devil and it's been amazing. Also using aosp browser over Firefox saves battery too.
Old December 29th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

I'm interested in how some phones can pull over 8 hours in a single go browsing the web on a mobile data connection, though.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links