< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology Chit-Chat Developers, developers, developers, developers

Notices

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Closed Thread Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1151    
Old January 1st, 2014 (5:55 PM).
Evil Stud Muffin's Avatar
Evil Stud Muffin Evil Stud Muffin is offline
I like kitties
Silver Tier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
Posts: 2,668
Ah, the simplicity of living in Europe. The internet has no limits, except for your data speed, and you have no nannying from your ISP. Plus its cheap, considering that it comes with phone service. 20 euros for 8mbps with little to no slowdown periods is very good, especially as its not a direct provider and has to channel through the main phone company to give us service.

#328 Trapinch
Supporter Collab January 2015
Doctor Who Fan Club



Relevant Advertising!

  #1152    
Old January 1st, 2014 (11:38 PM).
Twiggy's Avatar
Twiggy Twiggy is offline
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Plushies.
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Posts: 5,659
Most of Europe isn't as large as United States of America, though.

On another topic, changing the shot battery of my laptop was a good thing to do. Now I'm managing to have a lot of leftover battery after a three-hour class.
Twiggy is dead. He was the Werewolf.

"I'm a Wolfy Dogwyvern!"

#ONEderground
The Underground's 1st Anniversary Collab

TwigZone I tweet!
  #1153    
Old January 2nd, 2014 (11:05 AM).
acatfrommars's Avatar
acatfrommars acatfrommars is offline
yeet
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Gender: Male
Nature: Hardy
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Most of Europe isn't as large as United States of America, though.

On another topic, changing the shot battery of my laptop was a good thing to do. Now I'm managing to have a lot of leftover battery after a three-hour class.
Lucky, my old laptop won't even last 3 hours without having to charge. :c

Also, I have a question!! Guys, what would be a good laptop for $700 or under?
--------------------------
Sisters | Brother | Pairs
--------------------------
  #1154    
Old January 2nd, 2014 (1:40 PM).
Minerva's Avatar
Minerva Minerva is offline
OM NOM NOM
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Nature: Brave
Posts: 16,023
Do you have any technical preferences (RAM, hard drive space, resolution, etc.)? That may help us a little more, but the majority of the laptops nowadays that are less than $700 are Toshiba, HP, and Acer. Alas, that also depends on what YOU want in a laptop. xD
"I am Heavy Weapons Guy, and this is my new weapon!"
add me on steam
  #1155    
Old January 2nd, 2014 (2:59 PM).
Tsutarja's Avatar
Tsutarja Tsutarja is offline
ModeratorCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Posts: 15,715
Only if laptops were able to be built from scratch like desktops could things be easier to decide on when it comes to portability and specs..

But yeah, agreeing with Megan. Anything specific you wish to have?
  #1156    
Old January 2nd, 2014 (7:08 PM).
Archer's Avatar
Archer Archer is offline
a.k.a: ethan.
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NSW, Australia
Nature: Modest
Posts: 3,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Only if laptops were able to be built from scratch like desktops could things be easier to decide on when it comes to portability and specs..
Specs, yes; portability, no. The reason laptops can fit so much in such a small space is that they use proprietary parts, which they can have made in any particular shape, such that it fits within their design. Should they be using standardised parts (which would be crucial for scratch-built/home-built systems), then there is no way thing would be as portable or as energy-efficient. Sure, it's frustrating, but it's a tradeoff that people often aren't aware of.

Same goes with phones - sure, we could have modular, upgradable phones, but they'd be much bigger, likely with worse battery life.

The internet in Australia is a double-edged sword. On one hand, it's pretty reliable (some more than others, mine has had 1 hours of downtime in the last 3 years) and you have a lot of choice with ADSL2+ networks (you don't get the kind of monopoly that seems to exist in the States), however it's fairly expensive, not always terribly fast and almost always has data limits.

eg. I am with Internode and we pay AU$79/month (including a landline phone bundled, mind you) at get 200GB download/upload quota for the month. They don't artificially limit the speed, although we have a (very) consistent 5.5 Mb/s Down/1.0 Mb/s up. You can get cable, which is much faster, but it's also well over $100 for the same kind of data limit and is only available in certain areas (Australia has very low population density, lower than Canada and Russia).
  #1157    
Old January 2nd, 2014 (11:14 PM).
acatfrommars's Avatar
acatfrommars acatfrommars is offline
yeet
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Gender: Male
Nature: Hardy
Posts: 3,783
Ah, well guys. I want a laptop that's able to at least run League of Legends and maybe Borderlands 2 and Team Fortress 2. I'm also planing on putting Photoshop on it, and possibly illustrator. I also want it to be fast.

Did that help?
--------------------------
Sisters | Brother | Pairs
--------------------------
  #1158    
Old January 3rd, 2014 (12:03 AM).
Twiggy's Avatar
Twiggy Twiggy is offline
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Plushies.
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Posts: 5,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Specs, yes; portability, no. The reason laptops can fit so much in such a small space is that they use proprietary parts, which they can have made in any particular shape, such that it fits within their design. Should they be using standardised parts (which would be crucial for scratch-built/home-built systems), then there is no way thing would be as portable or as energy-efficient. Sure, it's frustrating, but it's a tradeoff that people often aren't aware of.
I know, right? A desktop can only dream about achieving an idle power usage of 10 watts or less :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Ah, well guys. I want a laptop that's able to at least run League of Legends and maybe Borderlands 2 and Team Fortress 2. I'm also planing on putting Photoshop on it, and possibly illustrator. I also want it to be fast.

Did that help?
A lot of laptops will run all them just fine as long as it's not an ARM-based "tablet" or something running an Atom/Bay Trail Celeron/Pentium (Ivy Bridge/Haswell Celeron/Pentiums are OK). I'm willing to bet you want something better than "fine", though. If possible, aim for at least an Ivy Bridge/Haswell Core i5 (ULV processors are OK, and desirable if you want to use the laptop for a long time unplugged), and some sort of NVIDIA graphics with Optimus (again, battery life), of at least GeForce GT 630M level (I'd advise a 740M personally) (so you can play everything but Company of Heroes 2 and Metro: Last Light well enough at 720p (yes, a 630M is just fast enough for CoD: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 (!)). Aim for at least 4 GB of RAM, but some current-generation games won't run with such a configuration, so try for 8.

If possible, try to give a laptop a personal look. Try the keyboard and the trackpad, especially if you see yourself using the laptop outdoors a lot. The display resolution isn't terribly important - the display brightness, cover material (matte or glossy?), and whether any mottling exists is more important for a normal Windows laptop, since Windows desktop apps don't handle high-PPI displays well once you go beyond full-screen games and Microsoft apps.

If it comes with a replaceable normal 5400 RPM HDD, don't upgrade the HDD if there's no hybrid option. Buy a Seagate Laptop SSHD separately. You will never go back to non-SSD/SSHD solutions.
Twiggy is dead. He was the Werewolf.

"I'm a Wolfy Dogwyvern!"

#ONEderground
The Underground's 1st Anniversary Collab

TwigZone I tweet!
  #1159    
Old January 3rd, 2014 (12:00 PM).
acatfrommars's Avatar
acatfrommars acatfrommars is offline
yeet
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Gender: Male
Nature: Hardy
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
I know, right? A desktop can only dream about achieving an idle power usage of 10 watts or less :3



A lot of laptops will run all them just fine as long as it's not an ARM-based "tablet" or something running an Atom/Bay Trail Celeron/Pentium (Ivy Bridge/Haswell Celeron/Pentiums are OK). I'm willing to bet you want something better than "fine", though. If possible, aim for at least an Ivy Bridge/Haswell Core i5 (ULV processors are OK, and desirable if you want to use the laptop for a long time unplugged), and some sort of NVIDIA graphics with Optimus (again, battery life), of at least GeForce GT 630M level (I'd advise a 740M personally) (so you can play everything but Company of Heroes 2 and Metro: Last Light well enough at 720p (yes, a 630M is just fast enough for CoD: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 (!)). Aim for at least 4 GB of RAM, but some current-generation games won't run with such a configuration, so try for 8.

If possible, try to give a laptop a personal look. Try the keyboard and the trackpad, especially if you see yourself using the laptop outdoors a lot. The display resolution isn't terribly important - the display brightness, cover material (matte or glossy?), and whether any mottling exists is more important for a normal Windows laptop, since Windows desktop apps don't handle high-PPI displays well once you go beyond full-screen games and Microsoft apps.

If it comes with a replaceable normal 5400 RPM HDD, don't upgrade the HDD if there's no hybrid option. Buy a Seagate Laptop SSHD separately. You will never go back to non-SSD/SSHD solutions.
I was going to buy one off of Amazon, but would going to somewhere like Best Buy be better then? That way I could get a "feel" for the laptop.
--------------------------
Sisters | Brother | Pairs
--------------------------
  #1160    
Old January 3rd, 2014 (1:40 PM).
Tsutarja's Avatar
Tsutarja Tsutarja is offline
ModeratorCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Posts: 15,715
I'd definitely try everywhere for a laptop.. for now, just go to Best Buy or any retail store and try out the laptops and find what you may like. Then look at that laptop on other retailers to see if they offer it for lower price or if it's on sale, then settle. That's what I'd do at least.
  #1161    
Old January 4th, 2014 (2:42 AM).
Twiggy's Avatar
Twiggy Twiggy is offline
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Plushies.
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Posts: 5,659
Just remember that you probably want to take a look at the entire thing and what the competitors are offering. Last thing you want to get is a plastic horror that you regret buying :3
Twiggy is dead. He was the Werewolf.

"I'm a Wolfy Dogwyvern!"

#ONEderground
The Underground's 1st Anniversary Collab

TwigZone I tweet!
  #1162    
Old January 4th, 2014 (6:20 AM).
Tsutarja's Avatar
Tsutarja Tsutarja is offline
ModeratorCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Posts: 15,715
Hmm, so my fingers are getting more used to typing on my tablet's physical kyboard. Though the only pet peeve I have about it is having to make certain punctuation such as an apostrophe or a tilde with the function key, unlike a normal, full-sized keyboard.
  #1163    
Old January 4th, 2014 (6:43 AM).
Evil Stud Muffin's Avatar
Evil Stud Muffin Evil Stud Muffin is offline
I like kitties
Silver Tier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
Posts: 2,668
Those small little horrors that are called keyboards are a mess for me. I literally prefer the notions of typing on the screen then on a small PoS just to say I have a keyboard. Once you learn the positions on the screen its a perfectly fine input method. Faster even if you know what you're doing.

#328 Trapinch
Supporter Collab January 2015
Doctor Who Fan Club


  #1164    
Old January 4th, 2014 (7:47 AM).
Twiggy's Avatar
Twiggy Twiggy is offline
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Plushies.
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Posts: 5,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Hmm, so my fingers are getting more used to typing on my tablet's physical kyboard. Though the only pet peeve I have about it is having to make certain punctuation such as an apostrophe or a tilde with the function key, unlike a normal, full-sized keyboard.
Not all keyboards are made equal, I suppose.

The Touch Cover attached to my Surface is more like a protective cover that happens to be able to be used as a virtual keyboard. Even though I can't feel the keys, I can type OK with it. I usually leave really heavy typing on my real laptop, so I didn't spend the extra money for the Type Cover, which is essentially "the ripped-out laptop keyboard".

One thing I do know, though - I really prefer my physical keyboards with full-size keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Stud Muffin View Post
Those small little horrors that are called keyboards are a mess for me. I literally prefer the notions of typing on the screen then on a small PoS just to say I have a keyboard. Once you learn the positions on the screen its a perfectly fine input method. Faster even if you know what you're doing.
I really like how software keyboards work in Windows Phone and Windows 8/RT. They're just large enough, and they predict input on the keystroke level before autocorrect kicks in.
Twiggy is dead. He was the Werewolf.

"I'm a Wolfy Dogwyvern!"

#ONEderground
The Underground's 1st Anniversary Collab

TwigZone I tweet!
  #1165    
Old January 4th, 2014 (9:13 AM).
Minerva's Avatar
Minerva Minerva is offline
OM NOM NOM
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Nature: Brave
Posts: 16,023
I'm old school. I gotta have a physical keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
I was going to buy one off of Amazon, but would going to somewhere like Best Buy be better then? That way I could get a "feel" for the laptop.
That's a good start. Doing you research is the best way to find your perfect computer. Usually computer websites like Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc., have special deals where you can get your computer for a bit cheaper than retailers (and with free shipping included at times). You could even build your own laptop to suit your liking.

A recommendation I have based on the specs you provided above: you should go for a laptop with at least an i3 processor and 3 GB or RAM. Most games require a good processor and 2 GB of RAM. Anything under that could fry up your new laptop.
"I am Heavy Weapons Guy, and this is my new weapon!"
add me on steam
  #1166    
Old January 4th, 2014 (9:18 AM).
Twiggy's Avatar
Twiggy Twiggy is offline
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Plushies.
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Posts: 5,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeliira View Post
A recommendation I have based on the specs you provided above: you should go for a laptop with at least an i3 processor and 3 GB or RAM. Most games require a good processor and 2 GB of RAM. Anything under that could fry up your new laptop.
I think I'll make it a bit more specific.

The CPU should be either a "standard" i3 (ULV i3s are iffy) or any i5/i7 (ULV i5s and i7s are OK). 2 GB doesn't cut it for today's games - aim for at least 4, and preferably 8. (6 GB RAM configurations are sub-optimal compared to either 4 or 8, due to the way memory modules work.) You should also try to have a dedicated GPU of some kind, but if it's slower than an NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 M, don't bother! (For good performance, try for a GT 740M at the very least.)

On another topic, I've been re-syncing music to my phone on a lower bit rate (128 Kbps Windows Media Audio), and it seems like I should be able to get away with it, since I'm not noticing any difference between what I'm hearing now and what I'm hearing before.
Twiggy is dead. He was the Werewolf.

"I'm a Wolfy Dogwyvern!"

#ONEderground
The Underground's 1st Anniversary Collab

TwigZone I tweet!
  #1167    
Old January 4th, 2014 (5:16 PM).
Archer's Avatar
Archer Archer is offline
a.k.a: ethan.
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NSW, Australia
Nature: Modest
Posts: 3,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
I think I'll make it a bit more specific.

The CPU should be either a "standard" i3 (ULV i3s are iffy) or any i5/i7 (ULV i5s and i7s are OK). 2 GB doesn't cut it for today's games - aim for at least 4, and preferably 8. (6 GB RAM configurations are sub-optimal compared to either 4 or 8, due to the way memory modules work.) You should also try to have a dedicated GPU of some kind, but if it's slower than an NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 M, don't bother! (For good performance, try for a GT 740M at the very least.)
For clarity, ULV is ultra low voltage, which designates low-power versions of CPUs. Try are generally assigned "U" suffix, but if you stay over 2GHz, you're pretty safe. Come back to us with the specs when you think you've decided on something, Axeliira.
Quote:
On another topic, I've been re-syncing music to my phone on a lower bit rate (128 Kbps Windows Media Audio), and it seems like I should be able to get away with it, since I'm not noticing any difference between what I'm hearing now and what I'm hearing before.
I use 192kb/s, as the DAC in the iPhone 4 can't do much better and I'm pushed for space. Whether or not you can hear it also depends on the quality of your headphones.
  #1168    
Old January 4th, 2014 (9:50 PM).
Team Fail's Avatar
Team Fail Team Fail is offline
burning passion
ModeratorCS
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: yes
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Posts: 12,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Lucky, my old laptop won't even last 3 hours without having to charge. :c

Also, I have a question!! Guys, what would be a good laptop for $700 or under?
I have an Acer (gasp) Aspire V5 and it's not too bad. It's an i3 with 8GB of DDR3 RAM, but it has integrated graphics :c although on the plus side, it's Windows 8 with a touch screen.

It's not too bad, but it can run lower-end games rather well. Don't expect to be rendering 3D on it too much - It can barely handle GTA IV on its lowest settings, and it chokes up on Wii emulation (Although sometimes it's not too bad).
CONTENTS
001
  COMPUTERS & TECHNOLOGY
002
  VISITOR MESSAGE
003
  PRIVATE MESSAGE
004
  PUSHING BUTTONS
005
  PUSHING BUTTONS BLOG
006
  ALT
007
  PHO
008
  PAIR 1
009
  PAIR 2
010
  TWITTER
SEEN
151

OWN
151
DATA
CRY
AREA
QUIT
  #1169    
Old January 4th, 2014 (10:54 PM).
Twiggy's Avatar
Twiggy Twiggy is offline
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Plushies.
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Posts: 5,659
The only thing I can say about integrated graphics is that I didn't realise that I was using the integrated graphics to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link (an expansion) because of a misconfiguration.

Guess not all games are made equal, even those of the recent variety.
Twiggy is dead. He was the Werewolf.

"I'm a Wolfy Dogwyvern!"

#ONEderground
The Underground's 1st Anniversary Collab

TwigZone I tweet!
  #1170    
Old January 5th, 2014 (6:56 AM).
Tsutarja's Avatar
Tsutarja Tsutarja is offline
ModeratorCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Posts: 15,715
Sometimes it makes me wish that laptops were able to have external GPUs come with them, but I'd also imagine that these video game makers don't expect their games to be played on laptops at the same time.
  #1171    
Old January 5th, 2014 (7:01 AM).
Twiggy's Avatar
Twiggy Twiggy is offline
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Plushies.
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Posts: 5,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Sometimes it makes me wish that laptops were able to have external GPUs come with them, but I'd also imagine that these video game makers don't expect their games to be played on laptops at the same time.
Some video game developers actually started designing their games with the HD 3000 in mind

Others still expect a powerful gaming rig.

In other news, well, phone, meet concrete. Looks like I'm going to have to repair or replace the phone soon.
Twiggy is dead. He was the Werewolf.

"I'm a Wolfy Dogwyvern!"

#ONEderground
The Underground's 1st Anniversary Collab

TwigZone I tweet!
  #1172    
Old January 5th, 2014 (7:06 AM).
Tsutarja's Avatar
Tsutarja Tsutarja is offline
ModeratorCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Posts: 15,715
Ouch! Did the screen crack? o3o hopefully it's alright.
  #1173    
Old January 5th, 2014 (7:08 AM).
Twiggy's Avatar
Twiggy Twiggy is offline
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Plushies.
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Posts: 5,659
It didn't crack, but it now looks really ugly

I was planning to service the battery anyway, but looks like there's one more thing to fix. At least I'm still able to use it until it gets sent for repair.
Twiggy is dead. He was the Werewolf.

"I'm a Wolfy Dogwyvern!"

#ONEderground
The Underground's 1st Anniversary Collab

TwigZone I tweet!
  #1174    
Old January 5th, 2014 (7:19 AM).
Cordelia Cordelia is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Nature: Sassy
Posts: 9,758
I got a giant 9300 mah battery for my phone haha. It takes twelve hours for the initial charge xD
  #1175    
Old January 5th, 2014 (7:37 AM).
Twiggy's Avatar
Twiggy Twiggy is offline
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Plushies.
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Posts: 5,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
I got a giant 9300 mah battery for my phone haha. It takes twelve hours for the initial charge xD
I have a 25 Wh (7000 mAh) Sony portable battery. Comes with two USB ports capable of providing their rated maximum current (2.1 A) at the same time!

It also comes with its own 10 W USB charger so that it won't take forever to charge.

I think I'm going to join the budget smartphone party whether I like it or not.
Twiggy is dead. He was the Werewolf.

"I'm a Wolfy Dogwyvern!"

#ONEderground
The Underground's 1st Anniversary Collab

TwigZone I tweet!
Closed Thread Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:32 AM.


Contact Us Archive Privacy Statement Terms of Service Top