Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology
Notices

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 17th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Seeing as I have no desktop, I find a tablet to be insufficient for my needs outside. Sometimes you have to appreciate the ability to run any Windows app out there.
Hey, it's Twiggy here. Or Twiggy, if you prefer. I like Servine and Noivern a lot. I'm paired with Kip. I like Katy Perry. I want a Chespin plushie. Also, I'm a total PC geek.
Links
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:35 AM
Tsutarja
Happy Halloween!

Nature: Jolly
Hmm, I guess that could be true for some sorts, because I'd never know when I would need office :P

But in the long run, there's no way I'd be able to get around with my current laptop at all. It's too noisy, and it would take forever to boot up. I probably need to eventually switch to Windows 8 sooner or later.

Happy Halloween!
mod pairs family tumblr twitter pc social sites
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Out of curiosity, what did your laptop came with, Zach? (In terms of both hardware and software.)

I suspect you might want to wait until Windows 9 is out.
Hey, it's Twiggy here. Or Twiggy, if you prefer. I like Servine and Noivern a lot. I'm paired with Kip. I like Katy Perry. I want a Chespin plushie. Also, I'm a total PC geek.
Links
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Tsutarja
Happy Halloween!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Out of curiosity, what did your laptop came with, Zach? (In terms of both hardware and software.)

I suspect you might want to wait until Windows 9 is out.
This is my laptop right here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...roduct=4041434

Of course though my parents bought it without consulting me (and it was a Christmas gift as well), so it's got some physical hardware problems, such as a faulty internal microphone.

Happy Halloween!
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Orpheus
Fml

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
This is my laptop right here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...roduct=4041434

Of course though my parents bought it without consulting me (and it was a Christmas gift as well), so it's got some physical hardware problems, such as a faulty internal microphone.
Mine was a custom built laptop, but It was outdated and after a while just stopped working...

Pair, Theme, CSS by Sheep

Last edited by Orpheus; January 17th, 2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

I suspect that if your next laptop was a really nice one, you'd wish that you had got rid of the desktop. Maybe some good planning and demoing of the laptops is a good thing to do if you ever want to get a new laptop to supplement your tablet and/or replace your desktop.
Links
Old January 17th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
So I got my tablet and I love it a ton. Anyone had luck with the Nexus 7?

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Orpheus
Fml

Personally I'd prefer a good desktop PC to any laptop. Unless it was an alienware and then I would still like to use my desktop pc more then the alienware

Old January 17th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

I prefer a powerful enough laptop if it means I can stay mostly wireless and unencumbered. I kind of like how I can bring my laptop anywhere even without the AC adapter and use it.
Links
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Orpheus
Fml

I totally understand that. Desktop PCs aren't portable after all. But really I'm used to a desktop pc.

Old January 17th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Dter ic
(=^ェ^=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
I prefer a powerful enough laptop if it means I can stay mostly wireless and unencumbered. I kind of like how I can bring my laptop anywhere even without the AC adapter and use it.
Wouldn't battery life be somewhat of an issue though? (unless you happen to own one of those ultrabooks with supposed 9 hour battery life ha)

I have this ambitious plan to use my laptop for general use and my tablet (with a bult in keyboard) for note taking during lectures when I go to university in September. I wonder how that would work out.
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

What drives me away from desktops is their portability; you just can't move them from place to place like you can with laptops. Some laptop computers may not be able to perform as good as desktops, but that doesn't bother me.
for all distractions.
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Orpheus
Fml

I can understand the problem portability can be, but I really don't have to go anywhere so that doesn't bother me.

Old January 17th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Tsutarja
Happy Halloween!

Same for me, I don't typically go places for long periods of time, so desktops are fine for me.. however if I'm gone for a long while, then I will bring my laptop and just deal with the slowness of it compared to my desktop.

Happy Halloween!
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:23 PM
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
The 2012 or 2013 model? I have the '13 model and I love it, its not made my Samsung my wifi works *cough*Nexus10*cough*. I thought I wouldn't like it because of the bezels but you don't notice in while using it.

Not sure whats going besides Laptor or Desktop? I used to prefer desktops, but now I just love my laptop, trackpad and all. I just keep my laptop plugging in for the majority. Mouses are weird to use now.
PC Mentions: Best Little Sister ever | Credits | My Amazing Pair

Old January 17th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryemo View Post
The 2012 or 2013 model? I have the '13 model and I love it, its not made my Samsung my wifi works *cough*Nexus10*cough*. I thought I wouldn't like it because of the bezels but you don't notice in while using it.

Not sure whats going besides Laptor or Desktop? I used to prefer desktops, but now I just love my laptop, trackpad and all. I just keep my laptop plugging in for the majority. Mouses are weird to use now.
It looks to be a 2012 model, but it still runs very nicely.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Funny as heck, mobile SoCs are getting more and more powerful these days... while PC CPUs and chipsets are getting more and more efficient.
Links
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Alex
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
I prefer desktops really, but this Lenovo IdeaPad with 64-bit Windows 8 is… sleek. Maybe it's just 8? It makes me reminisce of 16-bit Windows with its blockyness, and I love it :3
Old January 18th, 2014, 01:30 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

I'm still waiting for Windows 9 before I decide to chain-upgrade.
Links
Old January 18th, 2014, 02:52 AM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

I personally found 8's interface to be pretty terrible; hope they make some fresh changes to it in Windows 9. It'd be quite epic if they could make it look something like this. :]
for all distractions.
Old January 18th, 2014, 04:39 AM
Orpheus
Fml

Honestly I hate the windows eight interface.

Old January 18th, 2014, 05:27 AM
Denny Hamlin
i can f e e l again

Is it going to be called Windows 9? xD

I find 8 to be tolerable. I never tried it yet on an actual tablet or touchscreen, but I heard it works a lot better than in laptops/desktops.

"It was HIS hat, Mr. Krabs... HE WAS NUMBER ONE!"
Old January 18th, 2014, 05:36 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

I find it interesting that it's getting very hot with regard to the next version of Windows after the post-8.1 update in April will be going to be called Windows 9 and it will mark the return of the Start menu.

180°, anyone? It seems like they know 8 is a disaster.
Links
Old January 18th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Tsutarja
Happy Halloween!

I guess I'll wait until April to get a new laptop then.. but then again, it's been quite a long time since I've used my laptop (because of my tablet).

I remember back then I used my laptop more than my desktop simply because my old desktop ran XP until I made it into a server PC, and got my current desktop running Windows 7.

Happy Halloween!
Old January 18th, 2014, 06:11 AM
SS01
#PoC Collab

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SS01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeliira View Post
Is it going to be called Windows 9? xD

I find 8 to be tolerable. I never tried it yet on an actual tablet or touchscreen, but I heard it works a lot better than in laptops/desktops.
I'd be surprised if they called it Windows 9.. Have you become that boring, Microsoft? xD
In any case, I typically get my OSes from ..other.. sources, so it's not a big deal which one a PC comes with, since it costs me nothing to replace it.

I like the "under-the-hood" improvements in 8 - performance has gotten quite a bit better, but I still hate the start screen. At the moment I'm using Start8 to disable it, works quite well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
I have a Nexus 7. Ended up replacing it with an iPad after a year. It's not a bad device, I just love iOS.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links