The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 27th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
I don't have any knowledge of C, and I'm finding C# rather easy. As someone put it, he said that "C# is Java done right".
I heard that C# and Java is not all that different, though I don't know if I'll learn C# in the near future. I believe Java is derived from C as well, but I'll learn about programming languages more this semester.
Old January 27th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by 루기아 View Post
I heard that C# and Java is not all that different, though I don't know if I'll learn C# in the near future. I believe Java is derived from C as well, but I'll learn about programming languages more this semester.
I'm actually working on a project in C# right now, but yeah. I might try Java as I mentioned there since they're so similar.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old January 28th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Finally got a smartphone!

But because I only had 50 Euros to spend, I bought a used Xperia Mini from way back in 2011. Its basic, Adreno 205 and only 512mb ram, but its good enough till I save up cash for something more.Small screen rocks btw, even though I prefer the 4-4.5 inch range.
Old January 28th, 2014, 06:59 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Stud Muffin View Post
Finally got a smartphone!

But because I only had 50 Euros to spend, I bought a used Xperia Mini from way back in 2011. Its basic, Adreno 205 and only 512mb ram, but its good enough till I save up cash for something more.Small screen rocks btw, even though I prefer the 4-4.5 inch range.
I find 4" displays to be something very nice, to be honest. Not too small, not too large.

I'm actually writing C code now. Funny how I got from C++ to C, but we had to because we're now going... uh, lower.
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Yeah I love em too, that's what I'm saying. But because I only had 50 bucks, I bought that which has a 3 inch screen, where the problem is. Otherwise the 5MP camera is great, good radio, and it can run temple run 2 pretty well.
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Tsutarja
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Hey, a smartphone is a smartphone, so remember that.. :)

Of course though my first smartphone is something less then a year old.
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Mine just barely passed the "month old" milestone. :3
Old January 28th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Denny Hamlin
The S o u l Survivor

Congrats on the new smartphone, Stud Muffin :D

I usually aim at phones that were released 1-2 years ago. I don't like being an early adopter to phones that were released the same year.
Old January 28th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Breaking a phone is never something you'd want to happen to your own smartphone. :3
Old January 28th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Nauje
Hmm.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I've got a ZTE Blade III. Why I even bothered to get that phone even though it was cheap I'll never know.

When I do have more cash in hand however I intend to get the Nexus 5. Man that thing looks sexy as hell, Kitkat 4.4 wooo
Old January 28th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

I don't mind being an early adopter. Sure, you get all the bugs, but you may also get perks that others don't.

Example: Nintendo's Ambassador program for early adopters of the 3DS before the price drop.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old January 28th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Anyone use virtualization software (eg. VMWare, VirtualBox) on here? If so, which one would you all recommend to run linux on windows 7?

Last edited by Aeroblast; January 28th, 2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old January 28th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Tsutarja
Community Supporter

Ugh, I hope there isn't a virus on my server. I had to reboot it earlier tonight for updates and now when I try to log back in, I'm refused. It says "loading your personal settings" then goes to "saving your settings". Same happens with any account I use.
Old January 28th, 2014, 06:52 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Use a Linux LiveCD (any distro) to boot and scan it.
Old January 29th, 2014, 01:38 AM
Tsutarja
Community Supporter

At least the files are still on my server if I need to open it up and get the hard drive out of it and get the important files. But I'm gonna try refreshing it with the Windows files to see if all is well. And if not, then I'll just get a Linux LiveCD then check for viruses and then reinstall from scratch.
Old January 29th, 2014, 02:59 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Some antimalware providers use a live CD based on Windows Preinstallation Environment, the same environment that you end up in during Windows setup and System Recovery/Recovery Environment. I wonder how they perform compared to a *nix-based antimalware live CD.
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:14 AM
Tsutarja
Community Supporter

Well, using an antimalware CD is out of the question for me, considering I don't have any :p I used MSE on the machine and last night noticed strange behavior when the fan kept getting loud with minimal CPU usage and the fact that the virus definitions weren't updating on it, despite me telling it to.

The machine had 40 weeks of uptime as well.
Old January 29th, 2014, 05:30 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

You could certainly download a disc image file of an antimalware live CD if needed.
Old January 29th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Raine
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Anyone use virtualization software (eg. VMWare, VirtualBox) on here? If so, which one would you all recommend to run linux on windows 7?
I'm currently using VMWare to run Windows 7 on my Macbook, but it's only for my school program because there's a couple programs that do not have a Mac alternative. Having installed Windows 7 before separately, without using a virtualization program, I prefer the former over the latter mainly because it means having another program open and I don't like having multiple things open. Not entirely sure if it's just my Macbook, but VMWare running Win7 runs very slow. I thought 4GB RAM would be sufficient...But yeah, not sure if that helped you. I'm sorry >.<

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements · appreciation
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:07 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
I use VirtualBox because it's free and what we used in my schooling in college, so I'm familiar with it. It's pretty stable I've found. I couldn't tell you if VMWare Player is on par or anything, though, as I've never used it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Well, using an antimalware CD is out of the question for me, considering I don't have any :p I used MSE on the machine and last night noticed strange behavior when the fan kept getting loud with minimal CPU usage and the fact that the virus definitions weren't updating on it, despite me telling it to.

The machine had 40 weeks of uptime as well.
You should install the system updates and reboot at least once a month in the future. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Some antimalware providers use a live CD based on Windows Preinstallation Environment, the same environment that you end up in during Windows setup and System Recovery/Recovery Environment. I wonder how they perform compared to a *nix-based antimalware live CD.
That right there is the question of the day. The big thing is, they're probably not free.
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Tsutarja
Community Supporter

VirtualBox sucks with Windows 9x operating systems and drivers, and that's the only con I can think of. Other than that, Virtualbox is definitely a stable operating system virtualization environment for sure, and it's very universal with just about every operating system (except for those that are closed-source to devices like iOS)
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
That right there is the question of the day. The big thing is, they're probably not free.
The thing is they can be free. Surprised me, but seeing as it's Microsoft's own product, yeah. If anything, I'd reckon that Windows-based antimalware live CDs should be more aware of what's going on in a Windows system and should have less of a chance of making unexpected changes to surrounding data and/or the file system.

I use VMware Player for my virtualization needs, as it turns out VirtualBox ain't cutting it for my needs. You can create VM boxes with it - it should be good enough for me, since I'm a student. :D
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Starry Windy
... min?
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
You reminded me that I used to use VM programs like VMware, Virtualbox and Virtual PC. I missed my old days of installing Windows 98 in my VM box just for fun. And I like it. Lately I'm using Virtualbox more, one of the reasons was because of Aero theme support for Windows Vista and up.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Tsutarja
Community Supporter

Quote:
The thing is they can be free. Surprised me, but seeing as it's Microsoft's own product, yeah. If anything, I'd reckon that Windows-based antimalware live CDs should be more aware of what's going on in a Windows system and should have less of a chance of making unexpected changes to surrounding data and/or the file system.
Hmm, I didn't realize that Microsoft made those.. would it work on Server 2003 though? I would at least hope it does..
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:36 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:

I use VMware Player for my virtualization needs, as it turns out VirtualBox ain't cutting it for my needs. You can create VM boxes with it - it should be good enough for me, since I'm a student. :D
That may actually come in handy for me for the PCs of relatives. I think I'll download it now.

Does your school give you a license for it? Or is this just a personal license that you obtained for yourself?

EDIT: Zach, be prepared to phase that Server 2003 box out within the next year: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...ilter=FilterNO

End of life for it is July 14, 2015.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here