Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology
Reload this Page DCC Developers, developers, developers, developers

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Closed Thread

Old February 8th, 2014 (07:46 PM).
ModeratorCS

Nature: Jolly
The only two extensions I have in my Chrome that I use are Adblock Plus (self-explanatory) and an extension called APNG, which adds animated png support to Chrome. Both extensions are in the Chrome store, so I would hope they are verified and safe to use. :p
Old February 8th, 2014 (08:15 PM).
Resident C++ Developer
Platinum Tier

I used to have a whole crapton of add-ons for Firefox, but unfortunately they all got deleted when I pressed some weird button combo that caused my Firefox to reset completely. Here's a list of a few add-ons I had:
  • Flagfox (to deduce IPs and what not)
  • Flashblock (prevents any flash from executing until I click on it)
  • Cookie Monster (set on a whitelist)
  • Foxy Proxy (used with a paid proxy)
  • YouTube Video Ripper (for getting music)
  • Ad-Block Plus (self-explanatory)
  • URL Alias (see below)

The URL alias add-on basically functioned as a more simplistic bookmarking system. I would assign a short string of characters to a URL, and that string would be converted into the corresponding URL and requested with a simple hit of the return button. Unfortunately all of my alias bookmarks got lost in the transfer. :/

Quote originally posted by Zach:
The only two extensions I have in my Chrome that I use are Adblock Plus (self-explanatory) and an extension called APNG, which adds animated png support to Chrome. Both extensions are in the Chrome store, so I would hope they are verified and safe to use. :p
I'd rather trust my own research along with the reviews of my peers rather than trust some easily corruptable arbitrary system for verification. To be honest, I find more credibility in the comments sections of torrent websites than some little image next to the name of an add-on or application that I'm supposed to put faith in. Wouldn't you?
Old February 8th, 2014 (08:50 PM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Nature: Brave
I don't have complete faith in Chrome's extension store. I once found an extension that claimed to grab Facebook user logins via Facebook's chat feature. $10 says it just steals yours.

Needless to say, I flagged it.

voler avec moi
Old February 8th, 2014 (09:09 PM). Edited February 8th, 2014 by Nick.
Resident C++ Developer
Platinum Tier

Jordan, I find it amusing that they would think that anyone would be stupid enough to download such an add-on. Then again, I'm sure you have some horror stories from tech support that can verify the public's technological ignorance. :p

Just now I restored my old Firefox profile from before I accidentally reset (it was magically saved on my desktop), but unfortunately my saved URLs didn't make it, idk what happened. :(
Pokémon Citrite Version
Old February 8th, 2014 (09:17 PM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by ®ock§mashGod:
Jordan, I find it amusing that they would think that anyone would be stupid enough to download such an add-on. Then again, I'm sure you have some horror stories from tech support that can verify the public's technological ignorance. :p

Just now I restored my old Firefox profile from before I accidentally reset (it was magically saved on my desktop), but unfortunately my saved URLs didn't make it, idk what happened. :(
I do DIY-Tech support for my friends (I do so much of it I should start charging for it ffs). I even know that a friend of my grandpa is falling for one of those really bad email money scams right now. It's like watching a car crash in slow motion.

voler avec moi
Old February 9th, 2014 (05:05 AM).
ModeratorCS

I'd rather trust my own research along with the reviews of my peers rather than trust some easily corruptable arbitrary system for verification. To be honest, I find more credibility in the comments sections of torrent websites than some little image next to the name of an add-on or application that I'm supposed to put faith in. Wouldn't you?
I see where you're going with this. However, keep in mind as well that Google does charge for their service, meaning you have to pay a fee to get an extension up into the Chrome store. I can't remember though how much it costs or if it was one-time or recurring, though.
Old February 9th, 2014 (07:01 AM).
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Never underestimate the stupidity of human beings. Most scams are from phishing and people being dumb, gullible bastards.
Old February 9th, 2014 (10:25 AM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by CC:
Never underestimate the stupidity of human beings. Most scams are from phishing and people being dumb, gullible bastards.
Yeah, I know. My grandpa even knows it's a scam.

Then he falls victim to a credit card scam over the phone two weeks later.

I wish I was making this up.

voler avec moi
Old February 9th, 2014 (10:35 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Hasty
They say that the problem exists between the keyboard and the chair when it comes to many computer problems. I suppose that maybe we should make it "held object" and "floor" these days.

It's a never-ending flow of people getting scammed these days. At least we could try our best to fix up the mess... and prevent them in the future. Once bitten, twice shy...
Old February 9th, 2014 (06:14 PM). Edited February 9th, 2014 by Nick.
Resident C++ Developer
Platinum Tier

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." Or something like that.

I absolutely love that post somewhere in the Tech Support story thread where he said that he had a report saying "the student's laptop monitor exploded. He was working on his School Project and his screen suddenly exploded." Like we're going to be able to magically both diagnose and fix a screen explosion, as if we're Merlin or something… really? Really? ._.
Pokémon Citrite Version
Old February 10th, 2014 (12:00 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

I absolutely love that post somewhere in the Tech Support story thread where he said that he had a report saying "the student's laptop monitor exploded. He was working on his School Project and his screen suddenly exploded." Like we're going to be able to magically both diagnose and fix a screen explosion, as if we're Merlin or something… really? Really? ._.
I suspect you have to report everything strange going on, even if you can't fix it just like that. It's still a broken something.
Old February 10th, 2014 (02:03 AM).
Alluring Illusion

Nature: Modest
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3295711143 Is this a decent net speed for Battling and connecting in Pokemon?
Hometown: Lacunosa Town
Trainer class: Ranger, Psychic, Deceiver*
Specializes in: Dark, Psychic-Types

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old February 10th, 2014 (02:17 AM).
ModeratorCS

Quote originally posted by Mithel_Celestia:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3295711143 Is this a decent net speed for Battling and connecting in Pokemon?
I moved your post over into the T&I DCC as it doesn't have anything to do with CSS or BB code, and it doesn't need its own thread, really.

Those speeds should be fine, though it may take a little longer than usual to connect because those are DSL-like speeds. You shouldn't have to worry about being disconnected by yourself though because the ping is fine. The download and upload speeds aren't the best, though.
Old February 10th, 2014 (02:29 AM). Edited February 10th, 2014 by Mithel_Celestia.
Alluring Illusion

Nature: Modest
I moved your post over into the T&I DCC as it doesn't have anything to do with CSS or BB code, and it doesn't need its own thread, really.

Those speeds should be fine, though it may take a little longer than usual to connect because those are DSL-like speeds. You shouldn't have to worry about being disconnected by yourself though because the ping is fine. The download and upload speeds aren't the best, though.
Oh lol, then I shouldn't have moved it *facepalm* Anyway that's good. I have done some battles and trades that I haven't been able to do in the past. Not sure if it's a sudden change(it has happened before during a very rainy day, weird.) or my net has been updated.
Hometown: Lacunosa Town
Trainer class: Ranger, Psychic, Deceiver*
Specializes in: Dark, Psychic-Types

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old February 10th, 2014 (03:30 AM). Edited February 10th, 2014 by Twiggy.
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

I'm just fine with my ping speeds of 60-100 ms. I usually don't deal with online gaming, and even if I'm playing online games, on local servers, it's just average.

On a 3.5G mobile connection.

What's with the double posts?
Old February 10th, 2014 (04:53 AM).
ModeratorCS

I'm fine with my 25 down and 25 up xD

The double post glitch seems to have infected this thread since it has a lot of posts now -_-
Old February 10th, 2014 (08:27 AM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

So for Computer Science class I'm setting up a Windows 7 VM that half the class is going to use. I'm installing 136 updates right now. welp

voler avec moi
Old February 10th, 2014 (08:45 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Team Fail:
So for Computer Science class I'm setting up a Windows 7 VM that half the class is going to use. I'm installing 136 updates right now. welp
Sounds like me and my laptop's recovery image.

Should I be glad that local recovery partition now automatically update on Windows 8.x-based systems (of the RT variety, at least), including whole OS upgrades?
Old February 10th, 2014 (10:57 AM).
KYON-KUN, DENWA
ModeratorCS

That's a mixed bag, but I've not seen it in action yet.

Quote originally posted by Twiggy:
What's with the double posts?
People using Quick Reply in a thread that has over 1500 posts. Using full reply mode avoids the mess of double posts generated by using Quick Reply.

KYON-KUN, DENWA
Old February 10th, 2014 (11:02 AM).
ModeratorCS

That's my number one pet peeve of new Windows installations.. is having to install a massive amount of Windows Updates just to get it up to date.
Old February 10th, 2014 (01:04 PM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

That's my number one pet peeve of new Windows installations.. is having to install a massive amount of Windows Updates just to get it up to date.
The install disc I had for Win 7 for my desktop had Service Pack 1 already included, so I didn't have to update too much. This one is a vanilla Windows 7 from initial release. This is going to be a lot of fun. I actually suspended the VM because I didn't have time to install more updates.

voler avec moi
Old February 11th, 2014 (09:51 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Hmm...

I just realized that Windows 3.x allowed the user to select a DPI setting as part of a display resolution setting.

Apparently, after over two decades, still, nobody but Microsoft cared much about Windows desktop DPI scaling *sweatdrop*
Old February 11th, 2014 (10:43 AM).
ModeratorCS

I just found out today that my Lumia 520 got the Windows Phone 8 GDR3 update to it! Finally a way to close apps properly without having to constantly scroll back with the back button.
Old February 11th, 2014 (10:46 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

I just found out today that my Lumia 520 got the Windows Phone 8 GDR3 update to it! Finally a way to close apps properly without having to constantly scroll back with the back button.
Liking GDR3 + Black? You'll love this leak, then.

(What the heck is iCloud integration doing there?!)
Old February 11th, 2014 (09:29 PM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Serious
Anybody here familiar with BNF?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)