The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology

Notices

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 13th, 2014, 07:43 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

I remember when my dad had one. One of the first in his company to get one since receiving emails if something went down relating to the servers was something deemed vital enough to the company that it needed to be responded to ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
I do also know some countries where BlackBerry still has a strong hold ;)
From a sysadmin standpoint, Blackberry is far and away the worst of the major platforms. It requires a dedicated server running its Blackberry management software in order for Blackberry users to receive emails on their Blackberries. Those resources could be better used for something else since most enterprise grade mail servers can handle pushing to smartphones on their own without straining much at all.
Old February 14th, 2014, 04:54 AM
Tsutarja
Happy Holidays

Nature: Jolly
Wow, that's kinda...old and behind, isn't it? :p

At least with Android, iOS and probably Windows Phone OS as well, receiving emails doesn't require a dedicated server.
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Most modern smartphone, as well as many older smartphone platforms should be able to handle POP, IMAP, and Exchange ActiveSync well. That'd include most Android versions in widespread use, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows Mobile, Symbian OS, and BlackBerry OS 10.

BB7... ugh.

(I really like Exchange ActiveSync. You probably haven't realized it yet, but if you're using a corporate, educational (backend by Microsoft or set up in-premises), or a Windows Live/Hotmail/Outlook.com account, you're likely to be using it. Efficient push email and contacts/calendar sync is a very nice thing to have!)

(And speaking of Exchange and emails, I wonder how many people realize that Exchange Server had a very bad case of an accidental stress test a long time ago?)
Old February 14th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Tsutarja
Happy Holidays

I used to use my hotmail.com email address a lot 2-3 years ago, but I don't use it so much anymore, except to log into Skype with so that my MSN contacts stay in sync. And yep, my school's email system uses Outlook 365.
Old February 14th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I used to use my hotmail.com email address a lot 2-3 years ago, but I don't use it so much anymore, except to log into Skype with so that my MSN contacts stay in sync. And yep, my school's email system uses Outlook 365.
...Mine, too. (It's everywhere!)

It felt weird to see "*.outlook.com" before Outlook.com came out :3

What account do you use more often on your phone, anyway? Sometimes it's more convenient to keep everything in one place.
Old February 14th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Tsutarja
Happy Holidays

Quote:
What account do you use more often on your phone, anyway? Sometimes it's more convenient to keep everything in one place.
I'm signed into my hotmail.com account just because it's Microsoft, but I typically don't read emails when I'm not home, unless I'm reading my school email.
Old February 14th, 2014, 09:36 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Wow, that's kinda...old and behind, isn't it? :p

At least with Android, iOS and probably Windows Phone OS as well, receiving emails doesn't require a dedicated server.
They do, they just don't require their own separate server.

Quote:
Most modern smartphone, as well as many older smartphone platforms should be able to handle POP, IMAP, and Exchange ActiveSync well. That'd include most Android versions in widespread use, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows Mobile, Symbian OS, and BlackBerry OS 10.

BB7... ugh.

(I really like Exchange ActiveSync. You probably haven't realized it yet, but if you're using a corporate, educational (backend by Microsoft or set up in-premises), or a Windows Live/Hotmail/Outlook.com account, you're likely to be using it. Efficient push email and contacts/calendar sync is a very nice thing to have!)

(And speaking of Exchange and emails, I wonder how many people realize that Exchange Server had a very bad case of an accidental stress test a long time ago?)
Exchange is still a huge PITA at times from an administrative standpoint (especially when trying to upgrade between versions), but it's great at handling high volumes of email and has oodles of useful features.

Also, BB 10 still had that stupid Blackberry Management software that it needed installed to be used to store files.
Old February 14th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Something tells me wacky hijinks like me creating endless processes and making the entire PC unresponsive are not beyond me yet, as I did just that a few moments ago.

Ah, fork().

Last edited by Tsutarja; February 14th, 2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old February 14th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Lord Scalgon
What title?

Nature: Brave
Send a message via AIM to Lord Scalgon
Android tablet-related.

I was curious - has anyone ever displayed their screen tablet to their desktop/laptop via sync cable? I'm trying to get it to function but I currently have no luck so far.

(running a Dell Venue 8 tablet)

YouTube (mostly uploads of bullet hell shmups) || Extreme Perplexity - Dodging Hell (demo game created by me)
[may need voice actors for my puzzle game...VM me if interested]
Old February 14th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Tsutarja
Happy Holidays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Scalgon View Post
Android tablet-related.

I was curious - has anyone ever displayed their screen tablet to their desktop/laptop via sync cable? I'm trying to get it to function but I currently have no luck so far.

(running a Dell Venue 8 tablet)
I've never even heard of being able to mirror a tablet's screen to a PC and have it in a live window. But then again, I'm sure it's possible through the Android SDK in some way.
Old February 14th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Lord Scalgon
What title?

Send a message via AIM to Lord Scalgon
Quote:
I've never even heard of being able to mirror a tablet's screen to a PC and have it in a live window. But then again, I'm sure it's possible through the Android SDK in some way.
It's possible when you use a screen recorder such as Droid@Screen. I think my major issue is my laptop not recognizing the device when I use the "adb devices" command, and it displays this:

(this isn't my screenshot; just an example of exactly what I went through)

From that point on, I'm just simply clueless. I can sync files into the tablet; just...unable to display my device through this command.

YouTube (mostly uploads of bullet hell shmups) || Extreme Perplexity - Dodging Hell (demo game created by me)
[may need voice actors for my puzzle game...VM me if interested]
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

So I'm walking to the bus stop this morning, and low and behold, I come across a Samsung S3 in the snow! I grabbed it, and wrapped it in a ton of paper towel to dry it out (Rice wasn't an option, sadly). I managed to get the owner's email address when the touchscreen randomly decided to work for five minutes, and I emailed him. I wonder if he's going to want it back.

What's funny: This was in the snow for three and a half months. It still works somehow.

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
Old February 14th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

That's pretty interesting. If it still works, it must've been built pretty heavily. :P How do you know it was there for three and a half months?
Old February 15th, 2014, 01:01 AM
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphadora View Post
That's pretty interesting. If it still works, it must've been built pretty heavily. :P How do you know it was there for three and a half months?
When I got his email from the Gmail app, the last email that was synced to his phone was on November 7th, and it looked like this person got regular emails. So I made the assumption that it was three and a half months from that last email date.

Old February 15th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Tsutarja
Happy Holidays

Wow, hopefully you come into contact with the owner of the phone, TF. I'm sure they'd be surprised to see you found the phone, but also probably disappointed that they also bought another one at the same time. Hopefully it goes okay though.
Old February 15th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Wow, hopefully you come into contact with the owner of the phone, TF. I'm sure they'd be surprised to see you found the phone, but also probably disappointed that they also bought another one at the same time. Hopefully it goes okay though.
Yeah. I'm not sure at all what'll happen. I'm thinking that if I don't get a response by the end of the weekend, or even partway through next week, I'll just keep it.

Edit: Just got a reply. He was wondering how I got his email, but I decided to be truthful and tell him I got it from the Gmail app on the phone.

Last edited by Team Fail; February 15th, 2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old February 15th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

I think I probably should start using a dark-on-light theme on my phone, seeing as I'm no longer bound to AMOLED power drain issues.

But, it's so pretty when it's light-on-dark...

Last edited by Twiggy; February 15th, 2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Cleaning up merged double post.
Old February 15th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Is asymptotic analysis help question appropriate for this section of the forum? I've tried homework thread only to be overlooked for 2 days.
Old February 15th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
Yeah. I'm not sure at all what'll happen. I'm thinking that if I don't get a response by the end of the weekend, or even partway through next week, I'll just keep it.

Edit: Just got a reply. He was wondering how I got his email, but I decided to be truthful and tell him I got it from the Gmail app on the phone.
It'd be a good idea to sign out of all his online accounts, just to… you know, protect his privacy. xD Anyway, the guy's probably gotten a replacement already; it would be pretty sweet if he could let you keep it.
Old February 15th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphadora View Post
It'd be a good idea to sign out of all his online accounts, just to… you know, protect his privacy. xD Anyway, the guy's probably gotten a replacement already; it would be pretty sweet if he could let you keep it.
Yeah. He emailed me back, and he wanted it back because he had important stuff on it, so we met while I was at work and gave it back. He didn't give me anything other than a thanks, but it's the thought that counts I suppose. I guess karma will be nice to me someday down the road.

Old February 15th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Tsutarja
Happy Holidays

That's a surprising attitude from someone who was missing a device that got it returned to them.. I would have expected them to be much more nice about it.

That reminds me.. I usually always worry about leaving my tablet behind at school, but I'm not so sure why lmao
Old February 15th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Quote:
That's a surprising attitude from someone who was missing a device that got it returned to them.. I would have expected them to be much more nice about it.
Yeah. He was a young twentysome-year-old guy. I didn't expect much tbqh.

Old February 15th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

Quote:
That reminds me.. I usually always worry about leaving my tablet behind at school, but I'm not so sure why lmao
That's sort of how I feel whenever I take my phone with me when going places. xD" I never put it anywhere besides my own purse, though, but still end up worrying.
Old February 15th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I've never lost anything in public since I accidentally left my gaming laptop on a bench in my university. Thankfully when I got back there as quickly as I can (or rather my mom), the laptop was still there.
Old February 15th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Tsutarja
Happy Holidays

I would place my tablet in my pocket (since it could fit in my pocket without its case), but I have a case on my tablet that comes with a keyboard, and I use the keyboard to type things, such as posts here on PC with it whenever I'm at school. The case makes the tablet as thick as a novel.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links