Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology
Reload this Page DCC Developers, developers, developers, developers

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Closed Thread

Old February 15th, 2014 (08:13 PM).
Citrite, Lapis/Sapphire
Team Unova
Platinum Tier

Speaking of high-end computers, I've been gathering the parts for a custom desktop that I'm building myself. It's gonna have an Intel quad-core processor @ 3.2GHz, 2 x 4 GB DDR3 RAM, a 120GB SSD, BD-ROM Drive/Floppy drive (for nostalgia), a built-in wireless receiver + Ethernet NIC, and is going to be loaded with USB3 ports.
Pokémon Citrite Version
Old February 16th, 2014 (12:46 AM).
You like dragons?
Team Unova
Crystal Tier

Nature: Hasty
Quote originally posted by ®ock§mashGod:
Speaking of high-end computers, I've been gathering the parts for a custom desktop that I'm building myself. It's gonna have an Intel quad-core processor @ 3.2GHz, 2 x 4 GB DDR3 RAM, a 120GB SSD, BD-ROM Drive/Floppy drive (for nostalgia), a built-in wireless receiver + Ethernet NIC, and is going to be loaded with USB3 ports.
I would also strongly advise that you add in a spinning drive in addition to the SSD you have in your potential setup.
Old February 16th, 2014 (12:11 PM).
Team Unova
ModeratorCSEO

Nature: Jolly
I'm still pondering if I should get an SSD and install Windows on that but keep my other files. hmm..

On another note, it's time for me to get a new laptop. Like now. I don't really care if the next Windows OS comes out this year (which is really doubtful), but my current laptop is now at a state where when it starts up, the BiOS shows a "bad battery" message, and replacing the battery is like $100. No joke.
Old February 16th, 2014 (12:27 PM).
Team Hoenn
Platinum Tier

Nature: Serious
How old is your laptop?

How did you get that kind of money? job?
Old February 16th, 2014 (12:37 PM).
Team Unova
ModeratorCSEO

Quote originally posted by 루기아:
How old is your laptop?
The laptop is going on five years old.. it was my Christmas gift back in 2009, when Windows 7 was still a fairly brand new operating system.
Old February 16th, 2014 (01:40 PM).
Citrite, Lapis/Sapphire
Team Unova
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Zach:
I'm still pondering if I should get an SSD and install Windows on that but keep my other files. hmm..
I'd advise getting a small SSD that's just big enough for your OS and games, and then getting a 3TB HDD on USB3 to put all of your media onto. That's what I'm doing ;P

Quote originally posted by Twiggy:
I would also strongly advise that you add in a spinning drive in addition to the SSD you have in your potential setup.
^, except 1.5TB until the 4TB becomes as cheap.

How did you get that kind of money? job?
Heheheheheheheheh… I have connections with folk. That's really all you need to know.
Old February 16th, 2014 (04:47 PM).
You idiot!
Team Hoenn

If you intend on playing the latest games, you got to put in a graphics card, or 2 if you have the budget to do so.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old February 16th, 2014 (05:37 PM).
Citrite, Lapis/Sapphire
Team Unova
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Seki-kun.:
If you intend on playing the latest games, you got to put in a graphics card, or 2 if you have the budget to do so.
Ah, the item I forgot. I had in mind whatever the latest pretty is in ATI Radeon.

I will say that I've about had it with my CPU/GPU combo on my notebook. Dual-core AMD @ 1.4 GHz and a low-line ATI/AMD GPU, anyone?
Old February 16th, 2014 (06:04 PM).
Team Hoenn
Platinum Tier

The laptop is going on five years old.. it was my Christmas gift back in 2009, when Windows 7 was still a fairly brand new operating system.
Get a new one then.

Meanwhile, my family back in Korea finally threw out our 12 year old desktop, which still worked with Windows Me.

Heheheheheheheheh… I have connections with folk. That's really all you need to know.
Hmm... what could it be... I get it.
Old February 16th, 2014 (08:24 PM).
Citrite, Lapis/Sapphire
Team Unova
Platinum Tier

Meanwhile, my family back in Korea finally threw out our 12 year old desktop, which still worked with Windows Me.
I honestly thought Korea was more in-tune with the times than that. I don't even see those things in thrift shops anymore!
Old February 16th, 2014 (09:37 PM).
Team Hoenn
Platinum Tier

I honestly thought Korea was more in-tune with the times than that. I don't even see those things in thrift shops anymore!
Well, my family isn't the representation of entirety of south Korea... even then we rarely used it for good reason (my father and sister both have laptops)
Old February 17th, 2014 (04:14 AM).
You like dragons?
Team Unova
Crystal Tier

Three blue screens in a row, with one of them being MEMORY_MANAGEMENT?

Time to check the RAM modules.
Old February 17th, 2014 (06:40 AM).
fun in the sun
Team Kanto
Platinum Tier

Nature: Brave
I once had my computer's RAM chips pop out on their own accord. I had to open the computer up and reseat them. How they managed to do that I'm clueless, but I'm wanting to believe it was because it was warm in the computer and when it cooled off, the chips moved out of place.
Old February 17th, 2014 (07:23 AM).
You like dragons?
Team Unova
Crystal Tier

It's interesting that Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool says that there are memory problems when I was still in campus, and froze the computer, but none of that shows up when I'm home.

Further investigation is probably needed.
Old February 17th, 2014 (08:28 AM).
Team Unova
ModeratorCSEO

Hmm, hopefully it isn't your RAM slot going bad :/

That reminds me, in my server machine, there's a bad RAM slot.. or at least you can't use both of them simultaneously. I discovered this while it was my main desktop back from 2008-2012, and I tried putting two 1GB sticks of DDR2 RAM into it, but it was only reading one of them. I had to put a 2GB stick of RAM for it to be maxed out. Wonder what happened there.
Old February 17th, 2014 (08:37 AM).
You like dragons?
Team Unova
Crystal Tier

Hmm, hopefully it isn't your RAM slot going bad :/
I'm thinking of running the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool's extended test overnight until I wake up tomorrow. (It'd be the perfect stress test for both CPU and memory, but it takes forever to run. I've already run standard tests on the memory, which failed on campus, but ran successfully at home.)

I do hope so, or I'd probably end up with only a Surface (again) while I plan on getting a new laptop. Preferably preconfigured at shipping time, and also I'd think that it might be a good time for me to join the true SSD party.

That reminds me, in my server machine, there's a bad RAM slot.. or at least you can't use both of them simultaneously. I discovered this while it was my main desktop back from 2008-2012, and I tried putting two 1GB sticks of DDR2 RAM into it, but it was only reading one of them. I had to put a 2GB stick of RAM for it to be maxed out. Wonder what happened there.
Some hardware are more fickle than others when it comes to memory slots and what's in it. Check your motherboard documentation.
Old February 17th, 2014 (09:38 AM).
KYON-KUN, DENWA
Team Unova
ModeratorCS

If the clock speeds don't match, some boards will be fickle. Also, if one stick is an unsupported clock speed, the board just won't see it. I've encountered this quite a bit in OEM desktops (the desktops that come already assembled from HP, Dell, Gateway, and others of that ilk).

KYON-KUN, DENWA
Old February 17th, 2014 (01:54 PM).
Team Unova
ModeratorCSEO

The sticks were both identical models when I tried them, believe it or not. So iunno :/
Old February 17th, 2014 (02:11 PM).
KYON-KUN, DENWA
Team Unova
ModeratorCS

Perfect excuse to just set fire to the motherboard and go get a new one. :P

Did both sticks work individually? The slot could have been bad to begin with as well. Just kinda wanna satiate my curiosity on this.

KYON-KUN, DENWA
Old February 17th, 2014 (02:28 PM).
Team Unova
ModeratorCSEO

Both sticks worked, and either slot or the other worked. It just didn't want to accept them both simultaneously.
Old February 17th, 2014 (04:54 PM).
Team Sinnoh
Silver Tier

Nature: Gentle
Eh, didn't think this was worth making a whole thread for so I hope you don't mind me barging in for a second >.<

I wanted people's opinion on something. Currently I'm using a MacBook Pro 13" and realized that considering my academic program requires me to be in front of the computer nearly 24/7, the screen has become a slight problem. Being the Apple product fan I am, I'm wondering whether I should get an iMac or just the Thunderbolt Display monitor. Either way, I'm going to have to figure out where to put the thing XD

Was originally thinking of just building a custom gaming PC, but I decided against it D:

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements
Old February 18th, 2014 (04:24 AM).
Team Unova
ModeratorCSEO

Quote originally posted by Vanille Sky:
Eh, didn't think this was worth making a whole thread for so I hope you don't mind me barging in for a second >.<

I wanted people's opinion on something. Currently I'm using a MacBook Pro 13" and realized that considering my academic program requires me to be in front of the computer nearly 24/7, the screen has become a slight problem. Being the Apple product fan I am, I'm wondering whether I should get an iMac or just the Thunderbolt Display monitor. Either way, I'm going to have to figure out where to put the thing XD

Was originally thinking of just building a custom gaming PC, but I decided against it D:
It'd honestly be up to you, really. If you have an Apple TV, you should be able to mirror your display to that over the network. However, it just really entirely depends as well what you're doing because the specs between your MacBook Pro and a new iMac are going to be different.

So it seems that even with the new GDR3 update to my phone, there's still no way to actually "stop" music.. it's either pause or play, and then reset it to get it to truly stop. Hopefully Microsoft can think of a way to "stop" music.
Old February 18th, 2014 (04:39 AM).
Citrite, Lapis/Sapphire
Team Unova
Platinum Tier

Damn, your server only has two memory slots, and you only put 2 gigs in it? You know 8 GB RAM cards exist, right?

Methinks you should just go and buy a new motherboard. How old is it (seeing that 2008-2012 doesn't really tell us much)?
Pokémon Citrite Version
Old February 18th, 2014 (05:06 AM).
Team Unova
ModeratorCSEO

Damn, your server only has two memory slots, and you only put 2 gigs in it? You know 8 GB RAM cards exist, right?
Not in this machine you can't

The machine may be older though, since I acquired it in a refurbished state back in September 2008.
Old February 18th, 2014 (07:40 AM).
KYON-KUN, DENWA
Team Unova
ModeratorCS

Those specs and that refurbished date probably put the machine as a machine from 2005/2006, if I had to venture a guess without looking up the model. Before it ended up in your hands it was probably leased out to a business.

KYON-KUN, DENWA
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links