Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page What's taking them so long to reveal the starter evolutions?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Old August 13th, 2013 (10:12 PM).

If memory serves, it wasn't too long after they revealed the Generation V starters that the evolutions were also leaked. I'm pretty sure that the Gen V starter evolutions were leaked well before this point. So, the question I wanna ask is, why do you think they're taking so long to reveal the evolutions for the Gen VI starters? I wanna see them so I can at least make up my mind on which one to choose. I choose starters on the basis of their evolutions, usually.
Old August 13th, 2013 (10:48 PM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Starter evolutions weren't revealed until near release last time...and they weren't supposed to be revealed then. Gamefreak may not reveal the starters at all this time to allow us to be able to discover them ourselves.

We get one more Major update which is said to have new Pokemon, New Mega Evolutions, and the Type Chart. I don't think we'll get the Starter Evolutions until we play the games.

Either way people have an equal chance not to like the outcome.
Old August 13th, 2013 (11:02 PM).
space dorito
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
I personally agree with Xander there, there's a reason why the starter evolutions tend to not be revealed until after game release. While the 5th Gen starters' evolutions were leaked not long before the game release, which is a bit of an oddity, I do admit that for reasons like Xander stated, they probably want the players to discover the starter evolutions themselves.

And like he also said, next CoroCoro will be showing off more new Mega Evolutions, more of the new Kalos region Pokemon and the new type chart accommodating the Fairy-type. We probably won't see starter evolutions until after the games come out, because I remember going through similar experiences when I first saw the 3rd and 4th Gen starters, but that was before I started following Pokemon news via Bulbapedia and Serebii.
Old August 13th, 2013 (11:12 PM).
& having to receive it

When it comes to revealing starter evolutions, they like to take their time and do it slowly. According to Serebii.net, they'll be revealing new Pokémon and Mega Evolutions in next month's issue of CoroCoro, as well as some information regarding fairy-type Pokémon. If we're lucky enough, maybe we'll be able to see them then?

This will probably be the last issue of CoroCoro before X and Y are released in October. If they don't reveal the evolutions, then we'll have to play the game and see for ourselves. Haha.
Old August 14th, 2013 (02:55 AM).
California Dreamin'
Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
They're keeping us in suspense until they reveal last minute that Fennekin is Fire/Fighting obviously! No but iirc they held of the Starter Evolutions for Black and White until the month before the release, so I'd expect them to be revealed in September which is next month which will probably be via The Official Website or CoroCoro.

Although, I would like for them not to be revealed and in order to find them out you would have to play the game and evolve them yourself but I don't think that's likely really to happen
Old August 14th, 2013 (03:29 AM).
is a Shrew

Nature: Lonely
I do not think the starter evolutions will be released before the games' release, but I wish they would be. I remember I completely change my mind with starter choice based on evolutions in the past. This will be the first time I'll get a pokemon game on it's release day, yet I'll probably wait for this information to come online before I start my game.
Old August 14th, 2013 (03:35 AM).
Go Go PokéRangers

Nature: Adamant
I'd rather find out how they looked myself, which everyone will probably find out at gamescom as I think everyone's gonna try and level the starters up at the gamescom demo =P

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old August 14th, 2013 (04:21 AM).
'That Guy'

Quote originally posted by SolarAbusoru:
I'd rather find out how they looked myself, which everyone will probably find out at gamescom as I think everyone's gonna try and level the starters up at the gamescom demo =P
Yeah, I was thinking this myself. I'm sure a few people would take that advantage to train up their starter as much as possible to evolve it in the demo. However, this is implied that the starters will be available within the demo. If I remember correctly it's mainly focused around mega evolution.

If not, then this just shows that they really want to keep their evolutions hidden until later, preferably until the release date. I'm not too sure if I will either look online for the evolutions when the games come out, or find out for myself.
Old August 14th, 2013 (04:44 AM).
ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai

Nature: Lax
I think that they are purposely Building suspense They have already given Clues to how the new starters types and Its either they will not at all leak them or They will leak them Just before the release...Most probably I think All of them will look badass..
Fennekin Is a fox So Im guessing It will look a lot like Zoroark
Chespin I dont know how that will look like
Froakie Now This Is Waiting for It will be badass Sort of like A good looking Toxicroak :3

Besides The Designs of nintendo Are getting Worse by the Minute So Im not really looking forward to gen 6

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 14th, 2013 (06:34 AM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Serious
Well, I don't work at Game freak so I'll never know. Either way, the game's coming out in less than 2 months, so we can all wait.
Old August 14th, 2013 (06:42 AM).
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
I want to see how Litleo evolves, if it becomes boss then I may pass on Fennekin.

One thing I remember, though, is that, back when GSC was the new thing, I didn't know what Tyranitar was so I trained a Larvitar specifically to find out. I thought it would become Mothra, but I got Godzilla instead!

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
Old August 14th, 2013 (07:06 AM).
► My Happy Little Pill 
Platinum Tier

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by Seattle:
Well, I don't work at Game freak so I'll never know. Either way, the game's coming out in less than 2 months, so we can all wait.
Nailed it on the head.

On top of that, they've revealed so many large aspects of the game, there's not a whole lot they're keeping a secret anymore outside of the major things that pretty much every game wouldn't release ahead of time, so I'm pretty grateful we know how much we do. Of course, I'd love to know the starter evolutions ahead of time as well to help me make a decision, but I'm perfectly fine waiting until release and discovering it on my own akin to days where we didn't have internet to spoil the games for us =P
Old August 14th, 2013 (11:40 AM).

I guess you guys are right. I think I confused the experience from last generation with every generation, cuz now I remember playing Diamond and having no clue what my Chimchar was gonna look like until it became a Monferno.

However, I just really wanna know cuz I'm currently stuck between Fennekin and Chespin and knowing what their final stages look like and their typing would help me a lot in deciding between them. I'm not going with Fennekin if its either Fire/Fighting or or if its final stage looks too much like Ninetales, cuz then, what's the point really?

Quote originally posted by Darkrai666:
...Most probably I think All of them will look badass..
Fennekin Is a fox So Im guessing It will look a lot like Zoroark
Chespin I dont know how that will look like
Froakie Now This Is Waiting for It will be badass Sort of like A good looking Toxicroak :3

Besides The Designs of nintendo Are getting Worse by the Minute So Im not really looking forward to gen 6
Its a little weird that you say that you think they'll all look good and then say that the designs are getting worse by the minute. Anyway, I disagree with your second point. I think that these starters look just as good, if not better than, the first generation starters. But, then again, I've always liked the starter designs in every generation. There's always been at least one starter in each generation that really appealed to me, and the other one(s) I could at least tolerate.

I mean, look at Samurott and tell me it doesn't look just as cool as Blastoise. Its a freakin' samurai/giant sea otter combo. How is that not cool? Also, Hydreigon's design, to me, was much cooler than Dragonite's. There I said it!

Also, look at Xerneas and Yveltal's designs. Compare them to Moltres, Articuno, and Zapdos. IMO, they're not necessarily better, but they're much more "epic" looking. They're much more intricate, whereas the legendary birds' designs are a bit simplistic.

Anyway, that was a bit off topic, but I just wanted to make my case.
Old August 14th, 2013 (01:33 PM).

:'( But I don't wanna wait to see if Fennekin is a Fire/Fighting. I be truely mad then
Old August 14th, 2013 (01:41 PM).

Quote originally posted by SpitfireYoshi:
:'( But I don't wanna wait to see if Fennekin is a Fire/Fighting. I be truely mad then
You'd be truely mad if it were Fire/Fighting now, so I don't see any difference between now or later.

Either way, they are giving us a Torchic for free. I think I said this here, but its like they are saying: You are going to absolutely hate the new Fire Starter so let us give you the best one ever made so you can start with something else and still have an epic Fire Starter on your team.
Old August 14th, 2013 (02:39 PM).
Bow down to Queen Meowstic

I have hopes for the starter evolutions. Unfortunately, the better they are the longer to take to be released.

Or maybe they'll keep it a secret until the game's offical release (and then Bulbapedia will get to it). But until then, suspennnssseeee.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 14th, 2013 (03:00 PM).

The starters they've shown aren't actually the starters. They're just ploys. It's a sham!
Old August 14th, 2013 (03:14 PM).

So... who else here thinks Chespin is definitly going to become half Rock type? His final evo is most likely going to be Grass/Rock.

Old August 14th, 2013 (03:19 PM).

Quote originally posted by *Icecold*:
So... who else here thinks Chespin is definitly going to become half Rock type? His final evo is most likely going to be Grass/Rock.
That's the boat I'm on. Grass/Rock, Fire/Fighting OR Fire/Fairy, and Water/Dark OR Water/Flying

Froakie really doesn't show any support, but when it was said it may be a Ninja, I just wanted it to become a ninja~
Old August 14th, 2013 (03:23 PM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
I see Froakie being pure water sadly...
Fennekin will proably gain the Psychic, Fairy, or Fighting type as a secondary type.
Chespin may gain Rock...

Maybe all three could have one of the non gen 1 types with Fennekin getting Fairy, Chespin Steel, and Froakie Dark
Old August 14th, 2013 (03:31 PM).
'That Guy'

Quote originally posted by *Icecold*:
Grass/Rock is a good guess. Rollout is a move supporting this, but maybe it's just there for its aesthetics. With it being a hedgehog wearing a spiny shell, it seems natural. There's even the Grass/Dark speculation from the beginning, but I can't truly see this happening. I'm perfectly fine with either typing. Grass/Steel is pretty good too, since it will only have 2 weaknesses.

With Fennekin; Fire/Psychic, Fire/Fairy, or Fire/Fighting. I won't care if it becomes /Fighting, in fact I'll laugh from the rage produced.

Froakie? If Fennekin doesn't become /Fighting, then either Water/Fighting, (if Chespin doesn't become /Dark) Water/Dark, or pure Water.
Old August 14th, 2013 (04:00 PM).
X does Y WITH AUTHORITY!

Nature: Timid
Like others have said, the Kalos starter Pokemon's evolutions are being retained from the public eye in order to build up suspense. I kind of hope that the evolutions aren't available at the aforementioned demo events, so that everyone has a (technically) fair shot come October 12, 2013. Leaks via Internet have also become irritating to me (I would prefer it if either the games' release date was honored, or the companies responsible for the most official news (namely, Game Freak, Nintendo, Corocoro, and The Pokemon Company International), release the information themselves), so I don't really have a problem waiting until the official release of XY or some other official announcement/revelation. Admittedly, the anticipation is driving me bonkers as well, but I can wait. XD

This reminds me of back when the Unova starter Pokemon's fully-evolved forms were (dubiously) leaked at first... I think I was disappointed because Emboar wasn't quadrupedal and Samurott looked ugly (and its English name bugged me for a while too), but I give Emboar, Samurott, and Serperior much warmer reception nowadays (the later-released Ken Sugimori art did wonders for those Pokemon designs, because the sprites were quite iffy to me). Maybe if we're showered with a lot of awesome Kalos Pokemon designs come the games' release, we won't be too concerned if the Kalos starters' fully-evolved forms turn out to be disappointing; I'm hoping that more excellent designs are on the way, though...

I'm just hoping that Fennekin's fully-evolved form doesn't resemble Ninetales too much (although the kyubi/nine-tailed fox is a specific variety of kitsune, the two concepts practically seem to be irrevocably intertwined these days, so that most kitsune tend to sport 9 tails, at least from my experience... It's fortunate that Zorua and Zoroark managed to avoid being "9-tailed" while still being cool)...

Quote originally posted by XanderO:
Either way, they are giving us a Torchic for free. I think I said this here, but its like they are saying: You are going to absolutely hate the new Fire Starter so let us give you the best one ever made so you can start with something else and still have an epic Fire Starter on your team.
Tell that to the Trainers who despise Fennekin and Torchic (which *should* be nonexistent) and are mesmerized by Charmander, Chimchar, and/or Tepig... XD

Quote originally posted by XanderO:
That's the boat I'm on. Grass/Rock, Fire/Fighting OR Fire/Fairy, and Water/Dark OR Water/Flying

Froakie really doesn't show any support, but when it was said it may be a Ninja, I just wanted it to become a ninja~
I'm hoping that Fennekin becomes Fire/Psychic, but Fire/Fairy or monotype Fire is passable (although I'm kind of getting sick of Fairy Pokemon already @_@)... I'd probably quit playing Pokemon if we get a 4th Fire/Fighting fully-evolved Fire starter Pokemon, though..

Wow...I didn't know that Froakie has had the concept of ninja as its speculated origin, but such an incorporation in its design wouldn't hurt... I mean, you can't go wrong with ninjas... XD I haven't really settled on what I'm hoping for... Pure Water wouldn't hurt, and Water/Dark, Water/Poison, and Water/Fighting would be cool too (although the Water/Fight combo seems to copy Poliwrath a bit too much for my tastes, especially since Poliwrath is tadpole-based/very loosely frog-based and was the first Pokemon to sport such a unique type combination... Ugh, but Froakie's design looks like it would lend itself so well to a fighting discipline! :3) Water/Fairy would be out there, but it could work...

As for Chespin, Grass/Rock would probably work well... (although I really hate facing that type combination when my Pokemon lack a decently-powered Ice-type or Fighting-type move... >.<) Grass/Steel would work great as well, due to its spiny/sharp hedgehog-influenced quills/protrusions...

In any case, I would love to discover the starters' final evolutionary forms as I play through the game, although the nature of the Internet and its dominance today will pretty much make that plan nigh impossible for me, as I'll probably be getting XY or their potential third version counterpart well after the start of Generation 6...
I think it's more fun/engaging that way as you go along through the game(s) rather than having them spoiled/revealed beforehand; I remember when it was months after I first started Sapphire and knew about Blaziken & Sceptile that I finally found out what the heck a Swampert actually looked like (I think I saw it first during a Link Battle or a battle within the Battle Tower's premises...) XD I had kept on hearing other people say its name, so I knew that it *existed* as Mudkip's fully-evolved form, but it took me a while until I sighted its sprite in-game... This was around a time where I was newly-introduced to the game and didn't really search for the identity of Pokemon species using sources that were external to the game itself...

Old August 14th, 2013 (04:14 PM).

Quote originally posted by XSky RiderX:
Grass/Rock is a good guess. Rollout is a move supporting this, but maybe it's just there for its aesthetics. With it being a hedgehog wearing a spiny shell, it seems natural. There's even the Grass/Dark speculation from the beginning, but I can't truly see this happening. I'm perfectly fine with either typing. Grass/Steel is pretty good too, since it will only have 2 weaknesses.

With Fennekin; Fire/Psychic, Fire/Fairy, or Fire/Fighting. I won't care if it becomes /Fighting, in fact I'll laugh from the rage produced.

Froakie? If Fennekin doesn't become /Fighting, then either Water/Fighting, (if Chespin doesn't become /Dark) Water/Dark, or pure Water.
I won't care either if Fennekin becomes half Fighting. I've sworn to myself that I will dance, sing and cheer if it does! XD I just think it will be hilarious, since by then even I'ld be frustrated with how many Fire/Fighting starters we would have by that point.

I think Chespin's evo will be half Rock also because it has described to have a hard shell and has similarities with nuts. Nuts are definitly hard like rocks.

And I'ld like a Water/Fighting type Froakie evo. I want Fennekin to be half Ground because fennic foxes like in the desert, but that's pretty unlikely.

Old August 15th, 2013 (02:00 AM).
Quick! Dance like an eggplant!

Nature: Gentle
Just a guess but, maybe it's because they revealed the pokemon in the last generations because the games in japan were released before US and EU?
Old August 15th, 2013 (02:23 AM).

Nature: Jolly
I hope fennekin is fire/pychic or fire/fairy myselfXD

Sponsored Links