The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Old August 15th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Flameguru
Pokemon: Metallic Silver

Nature: Rash
A few days ago I came across an RMXP Player for Android and I didn't want to post about it until I had a chance to try it out. Well, it seems to work just fine for the most part. Some of the games based on Pokemon Essentials do not work such as Raptor EX for reasons unknown, but I'm sure things will be fixed eventually. I tried vanilla Essentials with no script edits besides a control scheme edit (the player doesn't seem to support the Enter Key) and it loaded up fine.

This is obviously a huge breakthrough and just another huge reason to use RMXP over any other language/game maker (such as VX/Ace) while developing games (especially Pokemon). This also indirectly allows games to be run on other platforms besides just Windows, as you can emulate Android on many devices. Emulating Android is far lighter than installing a Windows VM just for RMXP.

I have personally tested on a Nexus 4, Ouya, and Bluestacks (Windows). Your results may vary, but its interesting nonetheless.

You can download the Player from the Google Play Store and just follow the instructions to get it working. Here is a link: Neko RPGXP Player

I'm not sure how he wrote this and legality status but I've already contacted him to see if he would allow me to see the source or at least make a few edits to make hardware controls work and some other things to make it perfect for Essentials based games.

On a side note there is also a full speed DS emulator released for Android as well a few weeks ago called DraStic. It costs $7.99 on the Play store but is well worth it. Its a great time to be an Android user. Sorry iOS and WP8 users.
Old August 16th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Sundragon

Thats really cool I gotta try it out and I think there is a RMXP player for PSP too I dont have the link and stuff you can check it on google

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 16th, 2013, 03:50 AM
Tamaska
[Oblivious]

Nature: Sassy
Works great on the LG35G. DraStic, on the other hand, lags out.
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Pharetra
MOM GET THE CAMERA

Nice find!
I tried it with my own game, but sadly didn't even make it to the title screen, haha.
It certainly looks promising though!
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:56 AM
venom12
Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to venom12
I tested my game also but stopped on titlescreen cant press enter.

Old August 16th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Rezah
justicykes
Community Supporter

Kudos, Flameguru, this is pretty promising. I tried Atomic Reactor's Obsidian which didn't work (understandably, it's a far outdated version of essentials), Cilerba's Auburn (which gave me some strange audio error), and then my game which I got past the titlescreen but crashed right afterwards... But it's all definitely promising!

I just hope the author actually lets you tweak with the source a bit. Essentials support would be lovely.

Pokémon Tyrian Developer

Hello! Please, drop me a visitor message if you want to chat! I'd love to talk to more people!

Follow me for updates on my game and various other things!
Old August 17th, 2013, 08:57 AM
zingzags
Creator or Pokemon Serenity

I am guessing the reason why its crashing is because it does not have full support of RPG MAKER and its libraries.
Pokemon ebony
and
Xenotime:
Old August 19th, 2013, 03:08 AM
venom12
Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to venom12
THere is new version, which fix error with Input.press? so now shouyld work in essentials i will check.

Old August 19th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Yankas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameguru View Post
This also indirectly allows games to be run on other platforms besides just Windows, as you can emulate Android on many devices. Emulating Android is far lighter than installing a Windows VM just for RMXP.
I wouldn't go that far, emulating Android is quite expensive, and RPGMakerXP Games run fine with Wine so neither a VirtualMachine nor Emulation are necessary on MacOS/Linux and possibly any other platform that is supported by Wine.
Also, I am not sure how it works for others, but the last time I did Android development -- about a year ago -- the Android emulator's performance was downright dreadful and orders of magnitude slower than even a full blown VM.
Setting up Wine properly can be tricky but certainly not much more so than setting up an Android emulator on Linux. And unlike an emulator it gives the look and feel as well as the performance of a 'native app' for the most part.

I don't really see how adding Android support specifically is a good reason to use RPGXP over other languages/game engines. It's true that essentials is still the best choice for most people, but I wouldn't use cross-platform as one of those reasons when almost every popular language/game engine under the sun support a lot more platforms natively.
Old August 19th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom12 View Post
THere is new version, which fix error with Input.press? so now shouyld work in essentials i will check.
Let us know! This could be awesome
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Linkman806

I like it, it seems to work very well for me
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Badhaas

This sounds awesome, though I have three questions;

First; I also can't get past the "press enter" screen. What did you change in the code to actually change the controls here to make it work?
Second; The screen size seems to be a bit strange, as the game only uses the upper left corner (this also happens when pressing alt+enter on a pc). Is there any known fix for this, or a way to improve this?
Third; There is a huge difference between the actual size of the Pokémon essentials folder and the size on disc. Further research has shown that all files smaller than 32kb still take up 32kb of disc space. It could just depend on my phone, yet it is something to keep in mind. Does this also happen for anyone else?

Additionally I noticed from one of my previous projects that adjusting the screen tone doesn't work (or at least not yet). It would be useful to test all functions within rmxp and essentials to know what does and doesn't work.

View my profile page for scripts/tutorials made by me, even ones which aren't posted yet.
Old September 21st, 2013, 09:42 AM
zingzags

Tired to see if Nova Luna, and shooting star worked on it. It crashes as soon as it opens. Oh well!
Pokemon ebony
and
Xenotime:
Old September 22nd, 2013, 01:50 PM
Badhaas

Apparently there is a new version available for download, which now also supports adjusting screen tone. Additionally there should also be support for keyboard, yet I'm not sure how this works. The bad news about the new version is that it can't run Pokémon essentials any more, thus probably also no games based on essentials.

View my profile page for scripts/tutorials made by me, even ones which aren't posted yet.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 01:58 PM
Orifiel
Priestess

Nature: Lonely
Like the problem of the others.
I tested out the game and stopped at the titlescreen.
But I tested out on others, seemed to work just fine.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:04 PM
zingzags

From what I can tell the app was made by a Korean developer, I guess someone who is fluent in Korean is able to ask him to consider PE support.
Pokemon ebony
and
Xenotime:
Old November 9th, 2013, 01:32 AM
RimasLT
My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to RimasLT
My Huawei Ascend y200 specs is not good at all ( 800 Mhz processor,graphics chip 200 mhz ) only 256 MB RAM and screen 3,5 but RPGXP Player works just fine about 47-58 FPS

Old May 12th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Scorpiopt

Anyone tried pokemon zeta with this ? it gives a black screen and it crashes
i am using an s4 mini

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links