The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:41 AM
CliCliW
I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.

Nature: Bashful

Advertise here
Hey guys!

I'm just wondering do many people actually compete in the Pokéathlon?
Do you have team members who outshine everyone else's?
What medals have you won?
Do you have a favourite event?

Personally, I only play it if I'm looking to kill some time or want to play something non-story(?) related. I don't really have preferred team members but I do like the Stamina course and the power breaking event too! I don't win medals though - I'm not exactly good at them!

Let's open this up to discussion about all things Pokéathlon!

And mods, If such a thread has already been made, please forgive me and move this if appropriate to do so

Deceased:

Old August 18th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Powalen

I think I tried it once? Maybe two times, but I just didn't find it that enjoyable and would rather be doing other things in the game, haha. It was a cool feature nonetheless for those who did like it.

Old August 18th, 2013, 12:41 PM
awolfsquared
I like to do 'Garfield Mondays'
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I did and I still do actually. I never reset my games so I still play older files and I always play Pokeathlon in HeartGold to pass the time. I find it really fun and it's a great way to have a contest like thing in Johto. I'm actually still trying to get into the special room for winning all of the courses.

"I have no idea what I'm doing. but I know I'm doing it really, really well."- Andy Dwyer
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Lucky1Yena
Just some guy

I haven't tried it yet. Before I got my 3DS, the touch screens on the DS systems I did have were faulty. No amount of calibration would fix the alignment between where I tap and where it thinks I tap.

And despite having the 3DS now, I still haven't got around to doing it.
Patiently awaiting final versions of these hacks: TheJohto Legacy series - starting with the most complete one, the Christmas hack, Pokémon Liquid Crystal, Pokémon Crystal Dust, Pokémon DarkViolet, Pokémon Prism
Old August 18th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Sydian
I don't like frogs.

Nature: Timid
I enjoy the Pokethlon, but I don't have set teams. I just pick the ones that are best at the one I'm entering, haha.

paired to crono
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Fernando Torres
Class on grass
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I did it a couple of times. Usually the strength contest because Scizor is beast in that.
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I did it for the trainer cards. Plus I thin Pokeathlon is a good minigame, at least in my opinion better than contests.
Old August 18th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Radiam
You're not even good enough to be my fake.
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Yeah. I like using the Pokeathlon. It's something that passes time. I also find it much better than that stupid dress-up stuff in Pokemon D/P/Pt. I like using Sunkern for some reason. I have no clue why! xD

-Radiam
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
The Pokeathlon's one of the few things I almost always go back and try when I play HeartGold again. If memory serves me, the events that I'm the best at are the Speed courses, and I always have fun going through them with Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres. I also find it amusing that Diglett/Dugtrio always come last in the Hurdle Jump, since they're the only Pokemon that can't actually jump in the event (and end up hitting every single hurdle).

Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: BUG // ROCK
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:52 PM
alienhunterx

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
Been saving it for my post game time since I have not played fully HG I have not really tried to compete in it. Although I do have visited it once when i was at Bug catching contest. The place and sight was cool and I will visit in future
Old August 19th, 2013, 12:09 AM
curiousnathan
woop woop

Nature: Careful
The Pokeathlon's the one mini-game that I actually enjoyed (aside from the Bug Catching Contest.) I didn't plan out a specific team to win, I just picked whichever Pokemon in my party at the time I entered, had the best set of skills to tackle the mini-games. I've got to say, it's an A+ feature and is definitely worth dedicating some time into playing!

Last edited by curiousnathan; August 19th, 2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old August 19th, 2013, 01:30 AM
Altair
Incognito

I played it once to 'try' it out, I was hooked for hours on it, then I eventually continued the story line haha, I returned to it to obtain a Shiny Stone so I could evolve Togetic...
I found it really fun, but I haven't been bothered to collect the trophies and what not, perhaps when I return to playing Gen IV...
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:12 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

I know initially I didn't like it, just wanted to crack on with the game. But then with my team of Feraligatr / Scizor / Steelix / Togekiss / Magmortar / Lanturn I absolutely destroyed. Got the speed ones whilst Scyther and Togetic were rapid for me, got the strength and stamina ones after they evolved, and the other ones some time in between.
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:49 AM
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
i play it if i need evo stones or something. or any types of items. its kind of repetitive and gets boring.
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:51 AM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:batto:. View Post
i play it if i need evo stones or something. or any types of items. its kind of repetitive and gets boring.
He's got the right idea.

Of all the events, the only one I enjoy is the brick break.
Old August 19th, 2013, 05:43 AM
CliCliW
I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.

Nature: Bashful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer_Altair View Post
I played it once to 'try' it out, I was hooked for hours on it, then I eventually continued the story line haha, I returned to it to obtain a Shiny Stone so I could evolve Togetic...
I found it really fun, but I haven't been bothered to collect the trophies and what not, perhaps when I return to playing Gen IV...
I've never actually bothered to check if I could buy any Evo. Stones. That might be a good idea to come back to check, because I need a Shiny Stone.

I love the Power of Entei in the events.

Personally I'm not so fond of the Skill or Power courses because I'm not very good at them, especially the goal kick and Snowball throwing ones..... :/

Deceased:

Old August 19th, 2013, 05:45 AM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Beware man, you'll be there for awhile. The stones ain't cheap.
Old August 19th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Synerjee
the oncoming storm.

Nature: Relaxed
I'm just wondering do many people actually compete in the Pokéathlon? I do. Or did.

Do you have team members who outshine everyone else's? Gyarados, Typhlosion and Pupitar. They were the only members who actually competed and repeatedly won first place for the Strength competition and won me that much-needed Water Stone for my Staryu.

What medals have you won? The Strength competition, as I have mentioned above.

Do you have a favourite event? I did like the block-smashing event and the lamp jump event. Those were pretty fun and easy to win haha.

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family
Old August 19th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Hiresh
POKEMON LEGEND

I only did pokeathlon if i needed Evolution stones or heart scale
it was pretty fun though

Old August 19th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

Throughtout the entire game, I've competed in the Pokéathlon only twice. I feel like I should've competed more, but I don't know why I didn't. xD I usually had Typhlosion, Raichu, and Golbat on my team, because they were my strongest Pokémon at the time. My favorite events were Block Smash, Circle Push, Goal Roll, and Snow Throw. I haven't won any medals, but I was very close to winning one.
Old August 19th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Starlight angel
icebreaker

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Starlight angel
I played it a few times but once I won on one of them with pikachu and I got the strength badge I think.
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Denny Hamlin
Où t'es? Papa, où t'es?

I competed in the Pokeathlon a few times during my first play...and that was just to get Eevee happier so it can evolve to Umbreon faster xD But on a regular basis, not as much. It was also a great way to take a break from the usual journey and the training.
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Sheep

I loved the Pokeathlon! It was a relatively easy way to get stones and very enjoyable to me. My favorite minigames were definitely Block Smash and Relay Run. <3

pair | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:24 AM
BubbleBeams
Defeating Champions Since 1999

Send a message via Skype™ to BubbleBeams
I love the Pokethlon. I really need to replace my stylus so that I can play it some more (it's hard without it and I don't like using objects not meant for the DS). Or I'll just wait until I obtain my 3DS. lol

I can't recall having set teams but I know I absolutely dominated it a few times with my Quilava and Crobat when I initially played it in my HeartGold version.

My favorite games are the running course and that one where you have to grab the flags and bring them back to the line.

&
Ultimate Monotype Challenge: Ground
LeafGreen (8/8)|HeartGold (0/16)|Emerald (8/8)|Platinum (5/8)|White 2 (0/8)

Paired with ShadowExcadrill
Old August 20th, 2013, 09:03 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
I really, really love the Pokeathlon. Much more so than Contests (I do enjoy contests, though). I think it was a really nice idea, and it worked really well. I spent a lot of time playing the Pokeathlon.
BRING BACK POKEATHLON!

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Pokémon Platinum and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here