The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Announcements

Notices

Community Announcements Sometimes interesting things happen... it'd be a shame for you to miss them. Check here for new events and changes big and small around the community.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:31 PM
shenanigans
GONE DANCIN'

Hi PokéCommunity,

The PokéCommunity staff have recently been discussing our forum's stance on COPPA, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. As a website hosted in the United States of America, we are by law required to enforce this.

What this means is that we as staff are under obligation to identify any members who admit to being under the age of 13 and to request consent from a parent or guardian of such members for their use of this website or, failing that, to terminate their accounts. While we are aware that this has the potential to impact many of our members, we are required to take these actions by law.

What this entails for our users is as follows;
  • for unregistered members under the age of 13 - our registration page will no longer allow you to register if you are under the age of 13. Please do not attempt to bypass this. For your privacy, you are not required to publicly display your age after registration.
  • for registered members over the age of 13 - you need not do anything; even if you are still considered a child in your country, COPPA does not apply to you.
  • for registered members under the age of 13 - it is very important that, should you publicly disclose your age or have had a staff member approach you due to disclosure of your age, you understand the following. If you are found to be under the age of 13, your account may be restricted. This will block you from posting or interacting with other members. In order to remove restrictions on your account, you must follow the instructions sent to you, or, once you've reached the age of 13, you may contact us.

All of this said, it is now not advisable that you regularly change your displayed birth date - especially not to one under 13. If you have any questions or concerns, you may reply to this thread or send a PM to myself or another staff member. Thanks for your understanding.

-the PokéCommunity Staff

Last edited by Hiroshi Sotomura; August 30th, 2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Changes to reflect updated processes
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:39 PM
reniersnyder
The Glaceon Girl

Nature: Naughty
Would I be safe? Just Wondering even thought Im 15. I didnt see anything about registered members currently in the US that is over the age of 13.
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:41 PM
adventure
satellite physician

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by reniersnyder View Post
Would I be safe? Just Wondering even thought Im 15. I didnt see anything about registered members currently in the US that is over the age of 13.
Yes. You are safe and won't have to do anything. You are not considered a "child" in the US in the matter at hand.
paired with : abnegation
roleplay: CLOUD v2.0
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:13 PM
Radiam
This is my breaking point.
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Does this mean that anyone under 13 needs to have parent proof to be on this site?
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:18 PM
«Chuckles»
First of all, I'm not a "total psycho"

Nature: Brave
Yeah what happens if "Chuck Norris" is 11 and he wants to join so he gets his pal "Bruce Lee" to send in an email of saying "My son is allowed to go on your site" also what about people who just set the age to like 18 but are really 10 or something? I live in australia so does this count for me even though I am over 13?

PairTumblrAnime ListFriend Code
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:20 PM
Paige Berlitz
HAPPY SAINT PATTIES DAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckleslucifer View Post
Yeah what happens if "Chuck Norris" is 11 and he wants to join so he gets his pal "Bruce Lee" to send in an email of saying "My son is allowed to go on your site" also what about people who just set the age to like 18 but are really 10 or something? I live in australia so does this count for me even though I am over 13?
The Coppa rule doesn't apply to you. Just to those who live in the United states.
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:22 PM
shenanigans
GONE DANCIN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiance View Post
Does this mean that anyone under 13 needs to have parent proof to be on this site?
Yes, if someone is under 13 they should provide proof of parental consent for their use of this website.

Quote:
Yeah what happens if "Chuck Norris" is 11 and he wants to join so he gets his pal "Bruce Lee" to send in an email of saying "My son is allowed to go on your site" also what about people who just set the age to like 18 but are really 10 or something?
Then we can't really do anything about that. We are required to enforce this to the best of our knowledge, and if someone is underage outside of our knowledge then that is out of our hands.

Quote:
I live in australia so does this count for me even though I am over 13?
Yes, it applies to all users of this website due to the fact that it is hosted in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daughter of Dawn View Post
The Coppa rule doesn't apply to you. Just to those who live in the United states.
No. It applies to all users of this website due to the fact that this website is hosted in the US, and thus follows American laws.
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:22 PM
Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daughter of Dawn View Post
No, it applies to all as PC is based on a US server. Doesn't matter where the individual lives, everyone on this website must be over 13.
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:35 PM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
Our servers and whatnot being in America are therefore subject to United States legal jurisdiction, meaning anyone who seeks to use this site must be over the age of 13, unless you have parental consent. Regardless of where you may be from.
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:39 PM
Emburn
<3

Nature: Bashful
I like this rule for other reasons as well. I think it makes for a mature community. I remember having to do this for a few forums ages ago when I was under 13 and it was so hard to get my dad to give consent! D:
Old August 21st, 2013, 02:20 PM
Gleam Noiyam
Pop Goes the Gleamsel.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via AIM to Gleam Noiyam Send a message via Skype™ to Gleam Noiyam
Well, at least I'm 16 now. If this rule was implemented when I was younger, I'd be in trouble. So my account is safe. Stinks that law had to clamp down on PC. =\
Sheep and I fangirl about cute stuff too much. Current theme. Current obsessions.

Old August 21st, 2013, 02:38 PM
Antemortem
[INSERT A PROFOUND TRUTH]

Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki's Sword View Post
Well, at least I'm 16 now. If this rule was implemented when I was younger, I'd be in trouble. So my account is safe. Stinks that law had to clamp down on PC. =\
In a technical sense it's been enforced, but it wasn't all that clear up to this date so we thought it appropriate that it be announced from an official standpoint that this is a matter we are enforcing in a serious regard.
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:55 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I'm 20 so I'm all but safe, but I do have prune my friends list of members who have been banned as a result of these new rules. But it's all part of keeping young children exposed to what could be inappropriate content.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

loa: july 29 - august 12

Old August 21st, 2013, 04:15 PM
Isaac
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
Hi i'm ExtremeGamer im banned because of this rule. This is my old account...>.<

Used it for some last vms...well i think you can ban it now :)

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old August 21st, 2013, 04:19 PM
daigonite
Ninjas Against Bottomless Pits
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emburn View Post
I like this rule for other reasons as well. I think it makes for a mature community. I remember having to do this for a few forums ages ago when I was under 13 and it was so hard to get my dad to give consent! D:
It's not a matter of a rule, it's actually a law - that's why a lot of sites ask you for your age before registration.
Old August 21st, 2013, 04:38 PM
Vital
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Vital
RL, you should probably edit the first post to add methods of showing parental consent.
Old August 21st, 2013, 04:47 PM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
Oh no. I won't turn 13 until next year. D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Leaf View Post
Yes, if someone is under 13 they should provide proof of parental consent for their use of this website.
What kind of parental consent is needed? My parents know perfectly well that I go to PokéCommunity.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old August 21st, 2013, 04:51 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laugh View Post
Oh no. I won't turn 13 until next year. D:

What kind of parental consent is needed? My parents know perfectly well that I go to PokéCommunity.
Have them handwrite a letter stating your username and consent to be on the forum. Take a picture of the letter. From coppa 's website there doesn't seem to be an official form...
Old August 21st, 2013, 04:54 PM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Have them handwrite a letter stating your username and consent to be on the forum. Take a picture of the letter. From coppa 's website there doesn't seem to be an official form...
Can I not get banned until my mom/dad gets home? They're both at work right now and I'm not ready to say goodbye yet. Pretty please? :(

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old August 21st, 2013, 04:57 PM
Jak
eye of the needle

Nature: Timid
I don't understand why they have that law and say that parental consent is required, but they don't have a form for it. If you're going to have a way to get around it, have an actual way not just a figure it out on your own type of deal.
Old August 21st, 2013, 04:58 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Quote:
Can I not get banned until my mom/dad gets home? They're both at work right now and I'm not ready to say goodbye yet. Pretty please? :(
You're r showing good faith in getting parental consent but if we don't have it by the end of the night we will have to unfortunately ban you.
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:00 PM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Your showing good faith in getting parental consent but if we don't have it by the end of the night we will have to unfortunately ban you.
Okay, okay. But our time zones are completely different -- my mom and dad'll be home around seven or eight P.M. here in the Philippines, and it's only 9 o' clock.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old August 21st, 2013, 05:02 PM
Jak
eye of the needle

Nature: Timid
As long as she's getting her consent from her parents, and they already know she's here anyway and I'm assuming they'll have no problem giving her written consent when they get home, I don't see the point in threatening a time limit before we ban her, especially when you consider the time zones. She'll get it done.
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:03 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Unfortunately you might be banned but you can appeal when you have consent. I can't give a solid time limit or anything but you are showing good faith in getting consent so IMO I wouldn't ban you but it's not my decision.

Quote:
Verifiable Parental Consent

Before collecting, using or disclosing personal information from a child, an operator must obtain verifiable parental consent from the child's parent. This means an operator must make reasonable efforts (taking into consideration available technology) to ensure that before personal information is collected from a child, a parent of the child receives notice of the operator's information practices and consents to those practices.

Until April 2002, the FTC will use a sliding scale approach to parental consent in which the required method of consent will vary based on how the operator uses the child's personal information. That is, if the operator uses the information for internal purposes, a less rigorous method of consent is required. If the operator discloses the information to others , the situation presents greater dangers to children, and a more reliable method of consent is required. The sliding scale approach will sunset in April 2002 subject to a Commission review planned for October 2001.
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:04 PM
daigonite
Ninjas Against Bottomless Pits
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Okay, okay. But our time zones are completely different -- my mom and dad'll be home around seven or eight P.M. here in the Philippines, and it's only 9 o' clock.
If you do get banned you should still be able to contact the administrator, by emailing them the consent letter. Once that's done it might take a few days but then you should be clear.

I've had issues with my account before (not banning, getting locked out) and it takes a few days.

Sponsored Links