Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Announcements
Reload this Page IMPORTANT: Regarding under-13s and COPPA.

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Community Announcements Sometimes interesting things happen... it'd be a shame for you to miss them. Check here for new events and changes big and small around the community.

Closed Thread

Old August 21st, 2013 (05:06 PM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lax
I hate this ****ing law. Dumbest piece of **** law bill the US government's ever passed. And they've passed a lot of ****** laws.
Old August 21st, 2013 (05:14 PM).
Wild Duck Pokémon
Gold TierCS

Nature: Impish
I'm pretty sure there's a lot worse laws out there than COPPA. But that's for another thread, for another time.
Old August 21st, 2013 (05:15 PM).
"What's this? Who is this spoiled brat?"
ModeratorBSCS

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Dominic:
I hate this ****ing law. Dumbest piece of **** law bill the US government's ever passed. And they've passed a lot of ****** laws.

^Same :\ One of my closest friends was banned because of this, and I reallly hope she gets parental consent :[

Old August 21st, 2013 (05:16 PM).
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Since she was a supporter I wouldn't be surprised if she got it.
Old August 21st, 2013 (05:35 PM). Edited August 21st, 2013 by Blade_of_darkness.
Banned

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to Blade_of_darkness
Quote originally posted by Dominic:
Really? Have you ever met someone in their pre-teens exposed to an online gaming community of an M-rated multi-player game? *coughCallofDutycough* These guys have some of the dirtiest mouths ever found on anyone. They're a disgrace towards the future generation!

Thus, I do find a lot of wisdom in COPPA, & anyone else that says otherwise either has a corrupt mindset, or hasn't met anyone who's like that.
Old August 21st, 2013 (05:35 PM). Edited August 21st, 2013 by SomaQL.
The Varia Suit

Nature: Modest
These laws are passed for a reason, some of those reasons are dumb, and it sucks that they affect our friends.

COPPA was passed specifically for forums like this, as well as sites like ChatRoulette and other admittedly dangerous websites as such. There are/could be people surfing these forums and other websites looking specifically for younger children. You or I may not have these intentions, but taking advantage of a child is quite a bit easier than taking advantage of adults, and I'm not talking about molestation or rape (although those are possible outcomes of interactions with adults (again, risks the parents and guardians of the minors should be deciding for their children)).

COPPA is not banning children under 13 from the internet. It is regulating their interactions with older members of these communities. A lot of you feel children are already exposed to worse material than Pokemon battles, but it isn't about the site's material or the nature of the community. Children WILL be exposed to inappropriate and vulgar material unless laws like COPPA prevent it.

I pose this question to you: Would you rather have to get parental consent (note that this isn't "Fine, my kid can go on this site", clearance, this is, "Yes, I understand my child my be exposed to older kids, or even adults, and I accept the risks and consequences of their actions) to access websites like Youtube, Reddit, and other forums websites which preserve the right of Free Speech, meaning that ANY form of unmoderated vulgarity can and will arise there. Or would you like a response to such vulgarity? Something to protect children from the internet, which is far and away the least restricted entity in the world, ever.

Again, THIS DOES NOT BAN CHILDREN FROM THE INTERNET. It's a measure of PREVENTION to help ensure that they are not exposed to content and people that their parent/guardians would otherwise forbid them from observing or taking part in. There are ways to circumvent this, but there are also ways to get around just about every rule or regulation that has or will ever exist. That doesn't make the law wrong or useless, merely like every other. You can break it, and, though I am currently unaware of the punishment associated with breaking the law, it is like every other, not cruel or unusual.

It is very difficult to explain this in a post, rather than through words, so I'll leave it at that. If you would like me to elaborate on my opinion, feel free to VM, PM, or find me on the server.

Active Challenges:
(Single Solo Challenge: Kanto)

Finished Challenges:
| |

(Single Solo Challenge: Hoenn)
(Single Solo Challenge: Johto)

Schrau wrote:
Bear in mind that most Metroid games (especially the Primes) are survival horror.

At least from the perspective of the Space Pirates.
Old August 21st, 2013 (05:38 PM).
B33 < claw claw meowtherfangers!!!
Crystal Tier

why can't we just transfer pc on a different country? i hate seeing ppl younger than me go, and i have many friends ;-;
Old August 21st, 2013 (05:40 PM).
dreamme,myWorld
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Lady Gunner:
why can't we just transfer pc on a different country? i hate seeing ppl younger than me go, and i have many friends ;-;
Steve hosts PC in America, so yeah, not much can really be done about that unless he moves lol.

» my dreamiverse
Old August 21st, 2013 (05:46 PM).
Banned

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to Blade_of_darkness
Quote originally posted by Twilight Sky:
Steve hosts PC in America, so yeah, not much can really be done about that unless he moves lol.
Yeah, & that's going to be really unfeasible, since it's going to cost him more money that would've been better spent maintaining this site, if not improving it.
Old August 21st, 2013 (05:49 PM).
Banned

Besides, tbqh COPPA isn't a terrible law it's just hard to enforce. We're doing our best to enforce it now and we are more than willing to accept parental consent.
Old August 21st, 2013 (06:19 PM).
adventure seeker
Platinum Tier

Despite how "crappy" these laws are, they're there to protect young minors from manipulation or worse, they do a lot more good protecting children, than bad. Law is law, the bill was passed, just find the silver lining; security for children who need it is working at least a little bit on the internet.

| | |
Old August 21st, 2013 (06:42 PM).
Crystal Tier

this is the first time i've seen COPPA being enforced in over half a decade lmao
i imagine that it'll only be a few months until y'all forget about enforcing this rigidly anyway
Old August 21st, 2013 (06:58 PM).
adventure seeker
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Harlequin:
this is the first time i've seen COPPA being enforced in over half a decade lmao
i imagine that it'll only be a few months until y'all forget about enforcing this rigidly anyway
It's more a case that if ever something happened involving a minor on the forum, and it ended up being investigated, we could be shut down or worse for not abiding by law. And while it's not common that things get reported to authorities when it comes to forums, it has happened, and even in our past too.

We may be a bit late on actually enforcing this properly, but it's certainly a case where running the risk of prosecution because an angry parent or guardian reported the forum for allowing their child to present information about themselves unlawfully, isn't worth the consequences it would present.

No matter how unlikely a scenario, you need to consider what you can do about the risks it presents. In this case, abiding by this law covers our asses in case of an unlikely, but unfortunate event involving a minor.
Old August 21st, 2013 (08:17 PM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Hasty
So, apparently, for a minor under 13, getting registered with parental consent isn't an option for this forum.
Old August 21st, 2013 (09:47 PM). Edited August 21st, 2013 by Griffinbane.
I hate Smeargle.
Gold Tier

Unfortunately, no. You need physical proof of consent to do so. Maybe PC is a bit late to the game but I know of several other sites that enforce COPPA. One site I frequent prevents anyone under age 13 from registering at all and bans immediately upon discovery of the account. And sidestepping the ban by creating another account usually results in an IP ban. A permanent one.

A really recent enforcement of COPPA: http://www.nj.gov/oag/newsreleases12/pr20120606a.html
A not-so-recent one: https://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagnews/release.php?id=2288

White: 1463 5558 5309
X: 2208 5685 5454
- - - -
Old August 22nd, 2013 (01:32 AM).
For Money
Crystal Tier

You know the saddest part about it?

That staff have decided to start enforcing this law after more then a decade since this forum's creation.

This law was on the books before this site even existed. You'd think that this would have been one of the things talked about when the site was first created, not a decade after the fact.

So all of you saying that we are a bit 'late' to the game? No. We are not late to the game. We missed the game. We never cared enough to show up for the game.

Come play Runescape
Old August 22nd, 2013 (02:33 AM).
ModeratorCS

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by Mr. X:
You know the saddest part about it?

That staff have decided to start enforcing this law after more then a decade since this forum's creation.

This law was on the books before this site even existed. You'd think that this would have been one of the things talked about when the site was first created, not a decade after the fact.

So all of you saying that we are a bit 'late' to the game? No. We are not late to the game. We missed the game. We never cared enough to show up for the game.
We are enforcing it now. Isn't that good? So complaining about what has been and has now been fixed, is pretty redundant :)

"Alright Gramps! Leave it all to me!"
moderator of Roleplay Theatre
proudly paired with seeker
staff collab july 2015
Old August 22nd, 2013 (02:56 AM). Edited August 22nd, 2013 by Mr. X.
For Money
Crystal Tier

It is good that the decision has, after a decade, been made yes.

That it took a decade however reflects badly.

The complaining as you say is very justified given how long it took staff to decide their stance on this law. More. Then. A. Decade. Had it been a year, then it would be useless complaints over a resolved issue. But a decade, even with this issue now resolved? You call it what you want, complaining, and I'll call it what it is - Staff incompetence.

Come play Runescape
Old August 22nd, 2013 (03:12 AM).
ModeratorCS

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by Mr. X:
It is good that the decision has, after a decade, been made yes.

That it took a decade however reflects badly.

The complaining as you say is very justified given how long it took staff to decide their stance on this law. More. Then. A. Decade. Had it been a year, then it would be useless complaints over a resolved issue. But a decade, even with this issue now resolved? You call it what you want, complaining, and I'll call it what it is - Staff incompetence.
And spanked we shall be. If you want to see if that way, should not the fact that we brought the issue to light now rather be seen as a sign that the level of staff work is going in the right direction? If you have actual issues with how staff is enforcing rules (or law), you should shape those into concrete points and present them in a CQ&F thread or to a hstaff member.

"Alright Gramps! Leave it all to me!"
moderator of Roleplay Theatre
proudly paired with seeker
staff collab july 2015
Old August 22nd, 2013 (03:43 AM). Edited August 22nd, 2013 by Catalyst..
Nothing of significance

This is the first time I've ever seen COPPA enforced. Yet another **** American law. Honestly, if I were Steve, I might refuse to enforce it, and see what happens if we actually get caught - yes, I know that's not advisable, and definitely not happening, just hypothetically.

I see the worst part of this as it being completely pointless, there's nothing we can do to stop members lying about there age. Is it "technically illegal" because they accepted the Terms of Service, or whatever they're called? Possibly. Do we have the physical or monetary means to do anything about it? Nope. So we've been forced to ban dozens of good members because of a (imo) far too broad law.
Old August 22nd, 2013 (04:13 AM).
trying to be cool
Gold Tier

So, I've gotten my parental consent. Now what?
“You see, love liberates. It doesn’t bind. Love says I love you, I love you if you’re in China, I love you if you’re across town, I love you if you’re in Harlem. I love you. I would like to be near you, I’d like to have your arms around me, I’d like to hear your voice in my ear. But that’s not possible now. So, I love you. Go.”

Old August 22nd, 2013 (04:15 AM).
Sweet!
Administrator CS

Quote originally posted by Laugh:
So, I've gotten my parental consent. Now what?
Have you forwarded a scan or photo of the consent to Rukario? Once he receives it, then Bob's your uncle.
Old August 22nd, 2013 (04:17 AM).
trying to be cool
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Hiroshi Sotomura:
Have you forwarded a scan or photo of the consent to Rukario? Once he receives it, then Bob's your uncle.
I actually haven't thought of that haha. Thanks!
“You see, love liberates. It doesn’t bind. Love says I love you, I love you if you’re in China, I love you if you’re across town, I love you if you’re in Harlem. I love you. I would like to be near you, I’d like to have your arms around me, I’d like to hear your voice in my ear. But that’s not possible now. So, I love you. Go.”

Old August 22nd, 2013 (04:28 AM).
B33 < claw claw meowtherfangers!!!
Crystal Tier

just gonna ask, why did you guys enforced COPPA now? what's the difference between then, now, and later?
Old August 22nd, 2013 (04:30 AM).
Crystal Tier

just gonna ask, why did you guys enforced COPPA now? what's the difference between then, now, and later?
It wasn't ever discussed before. Nobody ever really thought to bring it up in its strictest form: discussing the actual law and its affect it had on the community. We decided to enforce it because it's a law. We failed to enforce it because apparently nobody reads the ToS until ten years later.

I should say...

Even though I think the law is stupid, its mostly because I think its poorly handled and defined. I understand its purpose, and appreciate it - so thank you to everyone directing whatever they have to say towards me about my dislike of the law. I literally had no idea what its purpose was and appreciate you all for informing me what the official website that had the law completely written out I spent an hour and a half analyzing and reviewing it failed to inform me of. What would I do without you guys?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)