Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Announcements
Reload this Page IMPORTANT: Regarding under-13s and COPPA.

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Community Announcements Sometimes interesting things happen... it'd be a shame for you to miss them. Check here for new events and changes big and small around the community.

Closed Thread

Old December 15th, 2013 (03:43 AM).
Life? Interesting, tell me more

Nature: Relaxed
I do realise this, and I think the law is useless. It doesn't really help, but neither does my complaining.
Old December 17th, 2013 (10:37 PM).
20% Cooler
Crystal Tier

Nature: Serious
1) The law is dumb. I registered what, 2, 3 years ago? I probably lied then (I've since changed it), but I'm 14 in less than a week. No repercussions ever happened even when I mentioned it. A bit surprising that they're banning the kids now.

2) The law only applies to US jurisdiction. Assuming that doesn't extend to Canada, I recommend whoever owns the servers (I think that's Rukario's company) just move it to Vancouver and access it remotely when he needs to. If jurisdiction extends to Canada in violation of obvious principles, I recommend he move them to the Netherlands with Ixquick, where they can't bother him and the target audience of Poke'mon can register freely.
Old December 18th, 2013 (07:31 AM).
delete and rewrite me
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Timid
Quote:
2) The law only applies to US jurisdiction. Assuming that doesn't extend to Canada, I recommend whoever owns the servers (I think that's Rukario's company) just move it to Vancouver and access it remotely when he needs to. If jurisdiction extends to Canada in violation of obvious principles, I recommend he move them to the Netherlands with Ixquick, where they can't bother him and the target audience of Poke'mon can register freely.
I hope this is some form of sarcasm, because you can't just ask someone to uproot themselves so that they can go somewhere that this website wouldn't have to adhere to this law. That's very selfish.

Complain about it all you want, it's not going to change anything unfortunately, unless the US decides to get rid of this law.

happily received
Old December 18th, 2013 (08:13 AM).
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

You should remember that under 13's can legally join this forum, so long as they have parental consent.

Whether or not the law is stupid is irrelevant. It applies.
Old December 18th, 2013 (08:34 AM).
Hail to the king

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by kelario27:
1) The law is dumb. I registered what, 2, 3 years ago? I probably lied then (I've since changed it), but I'm 14 in less than a week. No repercussions ever happened even when I mentioned it. A bit surprising that they're banning the kids now.
Quote originally posted by Maruno:
You should remember that under 13's can legally join this forum, so long as they have parental consent.

Whether or not the law is stupid is irrelevant. It applies.
And really it isn't stupid. It is for the protection of those under 13, while I think the method they went about this is, maybe, questionable It isn't stupid they're only thinking about your protection. And like Maruno said Stupid or not ITS THE LAW! (God I wish I knew this sooner, I was twelve when I signed up. )

Quote originally posted by kelario27:
1)
That statement is unbelievably selfish what your saying is "I want Rukario to uproot himself, move to another country and basically create a new life just so he can escape this law".

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old December 18th, 2013 (11:09 AM).
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Stormbringer
We're not uprooting the servers and basing ourselves out of another country so little children can mess around here. COPPA and its enforcement on this website isn't going anywhere either. So let's move on, shall we?
Old April 11th, 2014 (06:01 AM).

I am 13 year old Lucky soo lucky but i dont understand why age is important pokemon is kids so if htey only dont play wats fun for them pokemon is major kids only watch almost
Old April 11th, 2014 (06:29 AM). Edited April 11th, 2014 by curiousnathan.
give me the words
CS

Nature: Mild
Quote originally posted by LORD PRANESH:
I am 13 year old Lucky soo lucky but i dont understand why age is important pokemon is kids so if htey only dont play wats fun for them pokemon is major kids only watch almost
I, along with many others agree, but it's a matter of complying with the law. As previously mentioned, COPPA is being enforced to ensure PC doesn't get into any trouble in the future.

Also, it's great to have you with us! C:
Old April 11th, 2014 (06:40 AM).
Hail to the king

Quote originally posted by LORD PRANESH:
Pokemon is targeted at children, true. But It's the law, so really PC has no choice but to enforce COPPA. It's sad that a large portion of Pokemon's audience isn't legally capable of being on here, without the parent's permission. It makes it a lot harder for children to sign up, but it's the law.

I hope my post isn't being repetitive.

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old April 16th, 2014 (11:50 AM).
Froakie is Awesome!

Nature: Naughty
Am I safe? I'm asking as I was under 13 when I joined, I'm like almost 14 now.

Pokedex status ORAS 269/718 please check out my list here thanks! http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=340915
Old April 16th, 2014 (11:52 AM).
the demons in our minds
CS

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by Superqami:
Am I safe? I'm asking as I was under 13 when I joined, I'm like almost 14 now.
If you are 13 or above now, you can go on PC without special consent from your parents. So keep roaming the forums without a worry :)

moderator of
Roleplay Theatre

roleplayer in
Crossroads x Digimon
Titans x Legends

Old April 16th, 2014 (04:12 PM).
Child of Christ

The stuff on PC is generally pretty clean. Should there be a law that if the gov. Checks out a website, they can approve it and anyone can join? We have a good community with great mods. I'm way above the age, for your information.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that who ever believe in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.

Member of the Christian Community!
Old April 16th, 2014 (04:58 PM).
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Quote originally posted by BadPokemon:
The stuff on PC is generally pretty clean. Should there be a law that if the gov. Checks out a website, they can approve it and anyone can join? We have a good community with great mods. I'm way above the age, for your information.
I don't think the government minds about what goes on on here as long as it's not illegal and we follow COPPA.
Old April 16th, 2014 (07:30 PM).
Meringue Pokemon
Silver Tier

Nature: Quirky
I was a little under 13 when I first registered. Oh, the naive little me. xDD

I completely understand regarding this matter. You don't know how many pedophiles are lurking on the internet. Remember the Swapnote incident?

Plus, it is the US law. If people disagree to it, PC can't just move its servers to a different country. Admit it, in a lot of websites you're going that requires registration, the 13-year-old law is there, right?

deviantArt | MAL | Tumblr | Pair
~Previously known as Illusione-Tempus~
Old April 16th, 2014 (08:01 PM).
Proud Gork
Administrator
CS

Nature: Lax
I think we've done the COPPA talk to death. Time to move on.

Current users who remain underage will have their accounts suspended. Anyone over the age who hasn't been picked up have nothing to worry about. And registration continues to require being at the age of 13.

Chuckie Finster
Dislikes: Clowns
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links