The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Clubs
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pokémon Clubs This forum is for those who wish to start a club within the community. This forum is for Pokémon clubs; Fan Clubs & Groups is for everything else.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.


Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old August 21st, 2013, 04:43 PM
Mr. Avocado's Avatar
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
WELCOME TO THE ROCK-TYPE FAN CLUB





Rock-types have been part of the world from the very beginning, through the hard fought victories and the bumps along the road. This club is here to express our love for them with journeys up ahead.



Rules
  • All PokeCommunity rules apply here
  • In order to join, you must fill in the sign-up form
  • Respect all members in the group
  • Remember that this club is meant to be fun, so no fighting or anything of the sort



Sign-Up Form

Username:
Partner Pokemon (1 or 2):
(Optional) Partner(s) Nickname(s):
What strikes you about Rock-types:




The Rock 'mons



Members

Bedrock
Pave Low

Bricks

Stones

Pebbles
(Where everyone begins)
TrainerMusaddiq
jellicentfan1
AlexOzzyCake
TwilightBlade
Victreebel's Bro
CloysterOyster
Narnia
Slayr231


Rank Privileges
Spoiler:
Bedrock
The owner. This rank is unachievable by any member. Has access to everything to do with the club.

Bricks
Co-owners. Can start topics, promote Pebbles and is allowed a 3rd partner if so desired.

Stones
Advanced members. Can start new topics.

Pebbles
The start for everyone. Basic member with none of the powers that are available with other ranks.

Getting promoted: If you are an active member who posts frequently with quality, you will be noticed. Along with this, you must follow the rules and be an exemplar member who manages to co-operate well with other members. Be patient because you might not get noticed straight off the bat and never ask to be promoted.



Topics
Current
What is your favorite rock-type move and why?

Past

Why did you choose the partner Pokemon(s) you currently own?
What is your favorite rock-type evolution line and why?
What rock-types do you think are overrated and underrated? Why?
__________________

Last edited by Mr. Avocado; November 5th, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
  #2    
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:07 PM
Dark Shadow 6's Avatar
Dark Shadow 6
Kιηg Oƒ Hєαятѕ
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: India
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Username:
Partner Pokemon:
Nickname(s): Beast
What strikes you about Rock-types: i think rock type are powerfull and awesome

Why did you choose the partner Pokemon(s) you currently own? I Own Because his my favorite rock type pokemon and also for his power and design
__________________
  #3    
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:59 AM
Mr. Avocado's Avatar
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainerMusaddiq View Post
Username:
Partner Pokemon:
Nickname(s): Beast
What strikes you about Rock-types: i think rock type are powerfull and awesome

Why did you choose the partner Pokemon(s) you currently own? I Own Because his my favorite rock type pokemon and also for his power and design
Added :3

Why did you choose the partner Pokemon(s) you currently own: I chose Tirtouga as my first partner because he is my favorite rock-type and water-type Pokemon, I've always had a soft spot for it and I consider it the child of my partner Pokemon. It's such a cute little sea turtle that I could cuddle all day long and that isn't something you can say for most rock-type Pokemon.

I chose Regirock as my second partner because, to me, it is the guardian of rock-type Pokemon and as the owner, I wanted to have a Pokemon that represented my rank, in a way. That isn't rhe only reason, I've always been a fan of the Regi family (Regirock the most) and I very much like it's design and the way it battles in the Anime.

And as a co-owner or higher, I have a 3rd partner Pokemon. This is Aerodactyl, one of, if not the, oldest Pokemon. I absolutely love Aerodactyl and I see it in both a fierce and cute perspective, which is normally what I look for in Pokemon when choosing partners. I use Aerodactyl in competitive battle a bit of the time and I've really grown to liking it.

The general selection of my partners were also influenced by the fact that there will be partner events from time to time, so I have chosen different kinds of them to make it more interesting. Furthermore, I like seeing my partners as a family, and I will try to incorporate that into topics and events.
__________________
  #4    
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:22 AM
Castform's Avatar
Castform
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In the sky
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
Always been a huge fan of Rock type Pokemon, so I am definitely joining this club~!


Username
: jellicentfan1(jelli)
Partner: Tirtouga(Aqua Turtle)

What strikes you about rock types?

Honestly I find Rock types interesting because they have such variations in powers. You have Rock types like Regirock, Shuckle, Probopass, Rhypherior, etc. that are defensive monsters and can take numerous hits before fainting. These Pokemon are great for setting up Hazards such as Stealth Rock or using Toxic to stall out the opponent. You also have powerful Rock Pokemon such as Archeops, Omastar, Kabutops, Tyranitar, etc. that are capable of pulling of a sweep. Rock Pokemon are just flat out useful for lots of things and I always like to use one on my team if possible <3

Why did you choose the partner Pokemon(s) you currently own:

I also chose Tirtouga because he is simply adorable. While I was a fan of both fossils in Black and White, Tirtouga was a bit more appealing. He didn't have a detrimental ability and had a more balanced, yet still strong stat layout. He can perform a Shell Smash sweep and is guaranteed to get off at least one Shell Smash due to his excellent ability, Sturdy. He evolves into one of my favorite gen 5 Pokemon, Carracosta. Overall this evolutionary line was one of the best that appeared in Unova =]
__________________

Last edited by Castform; August 22nd, 2013 at 10:04 AM.
  #5    
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:43 PM
Mr. Avocado's Avatar
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Jelli! Accepted~

Also I could definitely say the same about Tirtouga, such a cutiepie <3
__________________
  #6    
Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:57 AM
Major Ziggs's Avatar
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: England
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Username: AlexOzzyCake
Partner Pokemon (1 or 2): Aron and Relicanth!
What strikes you about Rock-types: Seems like a cop out answer, but they're just really cool haha. I admire their strength, their defences, their designs, and their moves. They're one of those types that has nothing overly interesting about them but they manage to have so many cool aspects that they form something great. I don't know if this makes sense at all, but there's not much to comment on other than them being a generally very cool type haha.

I have countless favourite Rock-type Pokémon including most of the fossils, Relicanth, the Aron family, Regirock , Dwebble, and many more, but I choose Aron and Relicanth as partners because... well, honestly because I couldn't decide so I used a random generator haha. Relicanth is my favourite due to his history, design, shiny colour (<333) and how fun he is to use, but I really do wish he was a bit better and was a viable use for battling. I love Aron too and the whole family is just one massive pile of badassness, but they don't have the cool mysterious feel to them that Relicanth carries haha.
__________________
  #7    
Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:07 PM
Lilith's Avatar
Lilith
Protect his very soul.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Nature: Mild
Username: TwilightBlade
Partner Pokemon (1 or 2): Aerodactyl and Tyranitar
Partners Nicknames: Alexander and Trixie
What strikes you about Rock-types: They're tough and scary, and they're a beast in Sandstorm. Don't underestimate Rock types! I've been able to count on them when using them in-game and competitive before.

Why did you choose the partner Pokemon(s) you currently own:
Aerodactyl - I had one in FRLG named Alexander and it was a real powerhouse on my team. I had another one in Emerald, IV bred and good natured, and I used him to win a local tournament. Aero strikes very hard and fast, and rarely gives the enemy an opportunity to counter. Some Rock types are slow, but he can be deadly.
Tyranitar - I actually never had one in GSC. My brother raised one in Crystal and traded me it. I was pretty lazy to train my Pupitar. See, I just turned on my Crystal like 10 years later and mine is still a Pupitar in the box... Nonetheless! I had one in the Gamecube games named Trixie. She was pretty tough!

I've also used an Aggron, Rhyperior, and Carracosta on my teams. I love my RNG abused Kabutops too. Rock types are rad!
__________________
Even if it's a short life, burn hot and bright and overtake the moment. That's my way of life.
  #8    
Old August 24th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Mr. Avocado's Avatar
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOzzyCake View Post
Username: AlexOzzyCake
Partner Pokemon (1 or 2): Aron and Relicanth!
What strikes you about Rock-types: Seems like a cop out answer, but they're just really cool haha. I admire their strength, their defences, their designs, and their moves. They're one of those types that has nothing overly interesting about them but they manage to have so many cool aspects that they form something great. I don't know if this makes sense at all, but there's not much to comment on other than them being a generally very cool type haha.

I have countless favourite Rock-type Pokémon including most of the fossils, Relicanth, the Aron family, Regirock , Dwebble, and many more, but I choose Aron and Relicanth as partners because... well, honestly because I couldn't decide so I used a random generator haha. Relicanth is my favourite due to his history, design, shiny colour (<333) and how fun he is to use, but I really do wish he was a bit better and was a viable use for battling. I love Aron too and the whole family is just one massive pile of badassness, but they don't have the cool mysterious feel to them that Relicanth carries haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightBlade View Post
Username: TwilightBlade
Partner Pokemon (1 or 2): Aerodactyl and Tyranitar
Partners Nicknames: Alexander and Trixie
What strikes you about Rock-types: They're tough and scary, and they're a beast in Sandstorm. Don't underestimate Rock types! I've been able to count on them when using them in-game and competitive before.

Why did you choose the partner Pokemon(s) you currently own:
Aerodactyl - I had one in FRLG named Alexander and it was a real powerhouse on my team. I had another one in Emerald, IV bred and good natured, and I used him to win a local tournament. Aero strikes very hard and fast, and rarely gives the enemy an opportunity to counter. Some Rock types are slow, but he can be deadly.
Tyranitar - I actually never had one in GSC. My brother raised one in Crystal and traded me it. I was pretty lazy to train my Pupitar. See, I just turned on my Crystal like 10 years later and mine is still a Pupitar in the box... Nonetheless! I had one in the Gamecube games named Trixie. She was pretty tough!

I've also used an Aggron, Rhyperior, and Carracosta on my teams. I love my RNG abused Kabutops too. Rock types are rad!
Both of you are added, welcome to the club!
__________________
  #9    
Old August 24th, 2013, 03:07 AM
Dark Shadow 6's Avatar
Dark Shadow 6
Kιηg Oƒ Hєαятѕ
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: India
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
i think we need a new topic to discuss
__________________
  #10    
Old August 25th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Victreebel's Bro's Avatar
Victreebel's Bro
Trusty Sword
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sesame Street
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Username: Victreebel's Bro
Partner pokemon: Lileep and Roggenrola
Partner's nicknames: Palmtree and Stonehenge

What strikes you about the rock type?: Mainly their usefulness in sand teams. They gain quite a lot of bulk once a sandstorm is up. They are also the type that's strong against the most types in the game (tied with fighting). There is also a pretty large variety of the rock type, some like bastiodon and probopass can sponge loads of hits, while others like tyranitar and kabutops are just monstrous. They also have some of the coolest designs, if you ask me.

Why did you choose the partner pokemon you currently own?: I had a lileep in emerald and once I got it it instantly became a favourite. It was a very reliable teammate since I chose torchic as my starter. Cradily has huge bulk and can be pretty offensive as well, but Lileep is my favourite. I chose roggenrola because I currently have a boldore in my nuzlocke team. Since I have both a leavanny and a servine, its very helpful against flying types. Gigalith is a tank and an excellent stealth rock user, but my favourite of the three is the little guy.
__________________

POKÉMON X FC: 0146-9095-5226
Friend Safari (Bug): Butterfree, Volbeat and Vivillon
  #11    
Old August 25th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Mr. Avocado's Avatar
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victreebel's Bro View Post
Username: Victreebel's Bro
Partner pokemon: Lileep and Roggenrola
Partner's nicknames: Palmtree and Stonehenge

What strikes you about the rock type?: Mainly their usefulness in sand teams. They gain quite a lot of bulk once a sandstorm is up. They are also the type that's strong against the most types in the game (tied with fighting). There is also a pretty large variety of the rock type, some like bastiodon and probopass can sponge loads of hits, while others like tyranitar and kabutops are just monstrous. They also have some of the coolest designs, if you ask me.

Why did you choose the partner pokemon you currently own?: I had a lileep in emerald and once I got it it instantly became a favourite. It was a very reliable teammate since I chose torchic as my starter. Cradily has huge bulk and can be pretty offensive as well, but Lileep is my favourite. I chose roggenrola because I currently have a boldore in my nuzlocke team. Since I have both a leavanny and a servine, its very helpful against flying types. Gigalith is a tank and an excellent stealth rock user, but my favourite of the three is the little guy.
Added! Welcome to the club n.n

Also, there is a new topic:
What is your favorite rock-type evolution line and why?

I am looking to introduce some userbars here, so if anyone can help with that, that would be great! Also, when a few more members arrive, I will start an event so be aware of that. :3
__________________
  #12    
Old August 25th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Castform's Avatar
Castform
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In the sky
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
My favorite Rock Type evolutionary line would probably be the Larvitar, Pupitar, and Tyranitar line. I first used Tyranitar back when playing Crystal and I wasn't a huge fan. I found him incredibly hard to obtain and the training to get Pupitar to evolve, just simply wasn't worth it. This all changed when I started playing competitively. I found so much use for these Pokemon with Larvitar being an excellent Pokemon to use in LC and Tyranitar has always been one of the best Pokemon in all of the OU metagame. I love using sand teams and no one is better than Tyranitar at that. This family is pure power, especially Larvitar and Tyranitar. Not to mention this entire evolutionary line is one of the better looking ones out there.
__________________
  #13    
Old August 25th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Major Ziggs's Avatar
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: England
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
My favourite Rock-type evolutionary line is the Aron family! It goes from being a cute little pebble of loveableness to being one massive badass of an armour plated dinosaur - is there anything cooler than that? Lairon isn't too interesting, he's just a Rhyhorn that happened to stumble into an iron foundry, but Aron and Aggron make the line my favourite by far. I do love all of the fossils (bar Cradily ew) and I'm a fan of all of the Rock-type families, but this line takes the prize for me just for being so unique and impressive in such an endearing way.
__________________
  #14    
Old August 25th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Castform's Avatar
Castform
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In the sky
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOzzyCake View Post
My favourite Rock-type evolutionary line is the Aron family! It goes from being a cute little pebble of loveableness to being one massive badass of an armour plated dinosaur - is there anything cooler than that? Lairon isn't too interesting, he's just a Rhyhorn that happened to stumble into an iron foundry, but Aron and Aggron make the line my favourite by far. I do love all of the fossils (bar Cradily ew) and I'm a fan of all of the Rock-type families, but this line takes the prize for me just for being so unique and impressive in such an endearing way.

For some reason I totally forgot about this family which may actually be my favorite. Aggron is extremely amazing because he is so powerful. I love using one on my team and with access to a great move in Metal Burst and combining that with his stellar ability, Sturdy, if you can correctly predict a move you are almost guaranteed to fire back and KO the opponent. Aggron also has the ability to fire off an extremely powerful Head Smash which can devastate the other team. All in all this is a really cool evolutionary family that is head and shoulders better than the other rhino Pokemon line~!
__________________
  #15    
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Mr. Avocado's Avatar
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
What is your favorite rock-type evolution line and why?

Ah, for me, I never choose favorites by battle ability or how effective they can be in battle. Actually I think watching the anime has a big effect on my favorite evolutionary line because when I see the Pokemon in the anime, I see how they behave, move, battle, look etc. and even the "okay" Pokemon can still win battles. My favorite line has always been the Golem line for rock-types. All the Pokemon down that line appeal to me in different ways, with Golem being my favorite of the 3. I'm not even sure exactly why I like Golem that much, I think it maybe because he resembles the rock-type the best of the 3 and the best of all the rock-types. Plus, I've always been a fan of it's design, as well as Geodude and Graveler, something about the way they look gives me different (in a good way) views about them straight away. I've also always had a general liking to Geodude, I think he's a bit of cutie in some ways, and at the same time radiates it's toughness. Graveler quite similarly, to be honest, I know he doesn't generally get seen as a cute Pokemon, in fact he gets seen as ugly. But there is something about him, and it may be that I did a Graveler solo once on Leaf Green and have loved him from that day because he was so amazing. Anyway, this will probably always remain my favorite rock-type evolutionary line unless they do something amazing in Gen 6 or other Gens if they make more.
__________________
  #16    
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Major Ziggs's Avatar
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: England
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Do you guys find it weird that no one seems to like Onix much? It's a pretty cool Pokémon and I guess it has an interesting design, but it certainly isn't close to being a fan favourite. Given that it's Brock's main Pokémon (or at least used to be) and that it's such a quirky Pokémon to have been given so much spotlight over the years doesn't it seem odd that no one is overly bothered about it? Correct me if I'm wrong of course, if anyone here's a huge Onix fan then by all means shoot me down on this point, but it's a Pokémon that I've always found really surprising in this regard haha. I like it, but it should've achieved so much more fame than it has...

Would anyone agree?
__________________
  #17    
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Castform's Avatar
Castform
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In the sky
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOzzyCake View Post
Do you guys find it weird that no one seems to like Onix much? It's a pretty cool Pokémon and I guess it has an interesting design, but it certainly isn't close to being a fan favourite. Given that it's Brock's main Pokémon (or at least used to be) and that it's such a quirky Pokémon to have been given so much spotlight over the years doesn't it seem odd that no one is overly bothered about it? Correct me if I'm wrong of course, if anyone here's a huge Onix fan then by all means shoot me down on this point, but it's a Pokémon that I've always found really surprising in this regard haha. I like it, but it should've achieved so much more fame than it has...

Would anyone agree?

Yeah, I feel like Onix is a pretty interesting Pokemon I mean..it's a rock snake! That itself is pretty cool. As you stated, it really shined in the anime with Brock, but yet you don't see anyone using it or listing it as one of their favorite Pokemon. Honestly, I think that this is because he is really not a great Pokemon to use in battle. His defense is decent, but other than that, his stats are borderline horrid. Not to mention that he has a ton of weaknesses including a 4x weakness to Water type moves which are super common. In the anime he was made out to be a powerful Pokemon, but in reality he isn't and I think that is why people aren't a fan of this Pokemon. However, his evolution is quite popular!
__________________
  #18    
Old August 28th, 2013, 09:31 AM
CloysterOyster's Avatar
CloysterOyster
Master of Ice
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
Username: CloysterOyster
Partners: Lunatone and Solrock (can't keep them separated )
What strikes me about Rock-types: They're offensively and defensively strong. Their rock bodies can take the brute of most attacks and their attacks, like Sandstorm and Rock Slide, can cause trouble for an opponent.
__________________
I have made Facebook pages of all 718 existing Pokémon. If you want to join them, search for them in this format: [Pokémon's name], Pokémon # [Pokédex number]
  #19    
Old August 28th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Mr. Avocado's Avatar
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Welcome to the club CO!~

Also, new topic:
What rock-types do you think are overrated and underrated? Why?
__________________
  #20    
Old August 28th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Castform's Avatar
Castform
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In the sky
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
I don't know if there is a Rock type Pokemon that is overrated because most of them reside in such low tiers and many have such low usage. If I did have to pick one though, I would say Archeops. This Pokemon is the definition of powerful and I like him, but he has one of the worst abilities in the entire game, Defeatist. At half HP, his attack is sliced in half which makes him pretty much useless. This is a quick strike Pokemon that can devastate a team, but in reality he is easy to take down. All you need is a speedy Pokemon and he is either 1HKO'ed due to his pitiful defense or Defeatist kicks in.


If I had to pick an underrated Rock Pokemon, I would say Omastar. This Pokemon resides in the RU tier, but can become a threat to the highest level. He has a great Sp. Atk stat, Swift Swim, and access to the best boosting move in the game, Shell Smash. If given the right circumstances to set up, this Pokemon will sweep your entire team with ease. I am not sure why he isn't used and appreciated more because this is a fantastic Pokemon!
__________________
  #21    
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Aslan's Avatar
Aslan
the pretender
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sydney
Gender: Female
Nature: Relaxed
Username: Narnia
Partner Pokemon (1 or 2): Aerodactyl
(Optional) Partner(s) Nickname(s): Doug

What strikes you about Rock-types?

It all started back when I was eight. I had been looking through the latest Pokedex, eagerly planning my six monstrous machines that would get me through the game. My eyes fell on things such as Burmy and immediately cancelled them out. I didn't want a team full of cutiepies and weak-attacking bugs, I wanted more. I wanted the ultimate definition of badassery. My eyes fell on the fire-types and immediately a kung fu monkey that looked like an incarnation of Bruce Lee, stole the first slot. Then came a fluffy bird that could shoot flamethrowers, followed by electrial lions, intimidating birds and a ball of rock. I had done it. Mission accomplished. Except not really. I scrapped that team within minutes.

Attempt number two started with a penguin, a bird, a dragon and apparently a beaver-like thing. That also got scrapped. I wanted the legendaries (being eight I just wanted the most powerful things I could get my hands on) but I'd have to get through the whole game first. The third try was me and spaghetti-like things that could wrap vines around your feet, dragonflies and a modern day yeti. Then I realised they were all far too late to get in the game. At the same time, I never paid attention to the type that I would soon love. While most of them had the look of something that had just been through a war, I didn't want them getting beaten by bubble blowing penguins and I generally regarded them as a type with way too many weaknesses.

So why would I sign up to a club like this? Just like the old fairytales you read in bed on a school night or just like any good Harry Potter story, it had a happy ending. I was reluctant but I tried to fit one of these Pokemon on my team. I enjoyed every second of using them and I realised that most of their dual-typings can give them useful resistances and immunities. I've always tried to fit one on my competitive and in-game team. They aren't all slow, they've got huge defenses while also not being sitting ducks. They support the team, are the general tanks that can also pull off heavy damage and are a threat to anything that even tries to stand in their way. As for the ultimate mission in 'badassery', let's just say that I took a liking to cuter things later on.

Why did you choose the partner Pokemon(s) you currently own?


Mainly because it's the one I've enjoyed using the most! Rock-types are generally categorized as slow attackers on the defensive side, but Aerodactyl just turns that upside down on its head. It's unbelievably fast with good attack moves to support it and plus, there's no Defeatist ability to hinder it. With access to much more useful moves, speed and the ability to run all sorts of sets, Aerodactyl can be a fun and unpredictable Pokemon to work with! Plus dinosaurs. Flying dinosaurs for god's sake. How much cooler can you get?

What rock-types do you think are overrated and underrated? Why?

Onix is definitely underrated. I've always personally liked it, it's a rock snake tunneling underground at mach speed. It was your first real challenge in the first generation (especially for people with Yellow) and overall it hasn't exactly gotten much love over the years. However I'm just gonna say rock types are underrated as a whole. With so many weaknesses, fans shower negativity on it rather than looking on the bright side. They can fight just like anything else, have access to some of the strongest moves in the game that work well with their abilities (i.e Rock Head + Head Smash). People also say that they're 'too slow'. That's not true. We have Aerodactyl and Archeops flying around at the speed of sound.

Overrated rock-types? Arguably Aggron. I've never liked the Pokemon itself with its menacing face and while I can understand what people see in it, its never stood out to me. One Grass Knot or a super effective move and it's good as gone. You have to weigh up between two abilities and that loses a lot of benefit from this powerhouse. Plus it'll almost always go last so the opponent can get a quick hit on it and finish it off. Rock Polish can fix that, but it wastes a moveslot + turn. I'm not convinced that Aggron is the next legendary but that's just my opinion. Everything else is way too underrated. ):
__________________

i'd rather be anything but ordinary, please.

Last edited by Aslan; August 29th, 2013 at 10:03 PM.
  #22    
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Major Ziggs's Avatar
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: England
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
The Golem picture at the top is terrifying help :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Spoiler:
It all started back when I was eight. I had been looking through the latest Pokedex, eagerly planning my six monstrous machines that would get me through the game. My eyes fell on things such as Burmy and immediately cancelled them out. I didn't want a team full of cutiepies and weak-attacking bugs, I wanted more. I wanted the ultimate definition of badassery. My eyes fell on the fire-types and immediately a kung fu monkey that looked like an incarnation of Bruce Lee, stole the first slot. Then came a fluffy bird that could shoot flamethrowers, followed by electrial lions, intimidating birds and a ball of rock. I had done it. Mission accomplished. Except not really. I scrapped that team within minutes.

Attempt number two started with a penguin, a bird, a dragon and apparently a beaver-like thing. That also got scrapped. I wanted the legendaries (being eight I just wanted the most powerful things I could get my hands on) but I'd have to get through the whole game first. The third try was me and spaghetti-like things that could wrap vines around your feet, dragonflies and a modern day yeti. Then I realised they were all far too late to get in the game. At the same time, I never paid attention to the type that I would soon love. While most of them had the look of something that had just been through a war, I didn't want them getting beaten by bubble blowing penguins and I generally regarded them as a type with way too many weaknesses.

So why would I sign up to a club like this? Just like the old fairytales you read in bed on a school night or just like any good Harry Potter story, it had a happy ending. I was reluctant but I tried to fit one of these Pokemon on my team. I enjoyed every second of using them and I realised that most of their dual-typings can give them useful resistances and immunities. I've always tried to fit one on my competitive and in-game team. They aren't all slow, they've got huge defenses while also not being sitting ducks. They support the team, are the general tanks that can also pull off heavy damage and are a threat to anything that even tries to stand in their way. As for the ultimate mission in 'badassery', let's just say that I took a liking to cuter things later on.
Hiya, welcome to the club! :D This story is really cool but I just have to ask - which was the Rock-type to finally get you to give them a try? 100% betting it's the badass Aggron, that'd turn anyone.

Hmm, over-rated Rock-types are hard to come by I'd say. It'd very rare that a Rock-type gets huge attention for being an incredible Pokémon which is a big shame. I think I'd have to say Shuckle if anything - I'm aware that not many people think it's badass any more but it used to be an incredibly hyped-up Pokémon back in the day with his capabilities of gaining huge base offensive stats in a Trick Room scenario and then dominating with Rollout. I'm not sure what happened to the poor thing to make it so rarely seen now but I'm sure it was deserved or a load of counters came up, but I think Shuckle was certainly very over-rated at the time for a tiny piece of moss stuck to a rock.

And as for under-rated Rock-types? I'd say 90% of them! But I think my star mention here is Relicanth. It may just seem like a slightly worse version of Kabutops and Omastar but when you give it a chance and get it set up with Rock Polish or you bulk up his already impressive bulk you can find a real killer within him. A Rock Head using Rock-typed Head Smash Pokémon with Relicanth's Attack will cause a heck of a lot of damage with not too much risk to himself. It's a big shame about the awful typing but I wouldn't want to see it as anything else - it's always been a favourite Pokémon of mine and I'd love to see the little curious beauty get some more attention. Has anyone here tried using one before?

__________________
  #23    
Old August 31st, 2013, 03:29 AM
Mr. Avocado's Avatar
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Welcome to the club, Sophie

Wanted to note that an event will be starting in roughly a weeks time and one or two promotions in the coming days~
__________________
  #24    
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:43 PM
Aslan's Avatar
Aslan
the pretender
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sydney
Gender: Female
Nature: Relaxed
I ended up using a Cranidos that I had found underground after a few hours of digging. I decided to use it because dinosaurs! It seemed a much better option then using beavers and monkeys. It head smashed and cruised through the entire game. While its speed was rather hard to cope with, Rock Polish solved that immediately. Afterwards I was tearing through everything in my sight and Rampardos remains a true favourite. I've also used Aerodactyl in Diamond who proved to be equally effective. :D

To answer Ozzy's question, I've never used one. Mainly because I didn't take interest in the fish until I realised Armaldos didn't have the punch that I expected. With access to rather poor moves until a rather high level, I started looking around for better-rock types. Although honestly Relicanth never crossed my mind. It has poor speed but as you mentioned, that can be fixed pretty quickly. With Rock Head, it can just smash through anything without having to worry about recoil. A fossil fish doesn't sound half bad actually, much more appealing than coral. I might try it when I have the chance though. :D
__________________

i'd rather be anything but ordinary, please.
  #25    
Old September 6th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Lilith's Avatar
Lilith
Protect his very soul.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Nature: Mild
What is your favorite rock-type evolution line and why?
I love the Aron line because I can obtain it early. I've used one in plenty of RSE playthroughs. While the Larvitar family is a powerhouse and has a great design, I can't obtain one until late game. Both species are appealing to me because they're chubby dinosaurs. :D

What rock-types do you think are overrated and underrated? Why?
Corsola is underrated, at least in GSC. It has access to Earthquake, Psychic, Recover, Surf, Ice Beam, Mirror Coat, AncientPower, uhh. I could never make up my mind on what I wanted to teach my Corsola. I liked using one, anyways. It has a horrible typing, but I find it cute and somewhat useful. c:

As for overrated, Archeops comes to my mind, too. It's only a threat when healthy. Its ability cripples it; you're taking quite the gamble when using one. Though to be fair, I did have to use +6 Def Whimsicott to survive one Acrobatics during the battle against Ghetsis, lol.
__________________
Even if it's a short life, burn hot and bright and overtake the moment. That's my way of life.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 11:25 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.