The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 23rd, 2013, 06:44 AM
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
I get why he's in the news and all, but why is this in the news? Who gives a ****?
It's because everyday people are paying for him to go through a sex change after he's been tried and sentenced to prison for treason. Tax dollars are being diverted to pay for this. (If it even happens.)
Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:19 AM
Silais
Princess of the Law

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Eh, I don't care what the traitorous piece of crap does with himself. I'm guessing Bradley Manning doesn't have all his lights on upstairs anyways. I don't know why people sympathize with him/her.
These kinds of comments really infuriate me. Do you realize the cruelty and horrible actions of our own military? How they killed civilians, shot at first responders, shot at children, and murdered two reporters in cold blood? How is Manning a "traitorous piece of crap" for exposing these crimes to the world? Because it makes the government and the military look bad? Is the government somehow more important than the people? Is it exempt from all punishment of the crimes it has committed and allowed to be committed? Manning received 35 years in prison for exposing the inhumanity of our government and military. The men who killed those innocent people, ran over those civilians with tanks and broke their bodies in two—no punishment whatsoever. So if you're going to call someone a "traitorous piece of crap", I'd direct the term towards the military or the government.

Now, on topic. I find Manning's gender issues to be a bit too convenient for the timing involved, but can you blame him for trying to lessen his sentence or the severity of his imprisonment? What person would want to be in a U.S. prison for any amount of time, especially when his actions were taken not to endanger lives (which it hasn't, by the way) but to inform the public. I wouldn't go so far as to call him a hero, but I certainly believe he deserves better treatment than a 35-year prison sentence for being a whistleblower.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:51 AM
Esper

I think that everyone - everyone - is entitled to be healthy physically and mentally. I don't believe in needless suffering. That doesn't help anyone and doesn't help society.

Manning should get counseling and if Manning and medical professionals agree that hormones and/or surgery are then Manning should get them. And so should anyone else. And those homeless people on the street with schizophrenia? Give them help, too. And those families that are going hungry? Give them food and help. We shouldn't be arguing about whether it's right for someone sentenced to prison should to get medical help, we should be talking about how best to get help to everyone.

Sorry, I'm just an idealist sometimes. But even the practical me knows that we could be doing so much more with the current resources to help more people.

deviantart blog pair
Old September 9th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Livewire
League Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
It's because everyday people are paying for him to go through a sex change after he's been tried and sentenced to prison for treason. Tax dollars are being diverted to pay for this. (If it even happens.)
Seeing as most of our tax dollars go to helping the military kill people, a sex change is pretty pedestrian in comparison.
ORAS Release Staff Collab 2014
Old September 9th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Kyrul
Long Live The Note
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
As much as transexuals creep me out, I'm all for him getting the sex change, he's still entitled to that right in prison technically. My question is who's paying for it? Was PFC Manning dishonorably discharged or in the process of dishonorable discharge? From what I'm gathering is that he wants the military to pay for his operation.......That's going to be a huge no-go. The military will not pay for cosmetic work to be done. They will only pay if it is something they need to do in order for you to stay combat ready, or something that will enhance your effectiveness. This procedure does none of those things, so it's just going to be a liability on the military and taxpayers. And I guarantee Manning knows this, so the very idea of him wanting the military to pay for this is ridiculous. If his dishonorable discharge has already been approved by his chain of command then he's pretty much SOL on that anyways.
Old September 9th, 2013, 06:40 PM
The Dark Avenger
The Flyest Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrul View Post
As much as transexuals creep me out, I'm all for him getting the sex change, he's still entitled to that right in prison technically. My question is who's paying for it? Was PFC Manning dishonorably discharged or in the process of dishonorable discharge? From what I'm gathering is that he wants the military to pay for his operation.......That's going to be a huge no-go. The military will not pay for cosmetic work to be done. They will only pay if it is something they need to do in order for you to stay combat ready, or something that will enhance your effectiveness. This procedure does none of those things, so it's just going to be a liability on the military and taxpayers. And I guarantee Manning knows this, so the very idea of him wanting the military to pay for this is ridiculous. If his dishonorable discharge has already been approved by his chain of command then he's pretty much SOL on that anyways.
I will advise everyone to ignore the first sentence of this post as only one person needs to address this or otherwise throw the thread off-topic. First, transexuals and transgenders are completely different terms that are often used interchangeably. There is no evidence that suggests that Manning would like to remain a male and dress up as a woman during sexual activities (transexualism); rather, Manning is a transgender, Manning wants to become a woman, which suggest he actually wants some form of hormonal therapy as well as plastic surgery. There are many concerns involving which resources should be available to Manning given the prison sentencing. There are claims to be made on both sides, but obfuscating the issue with both an incorrect definition and unnecessarily caustic statement is not productive in assessing this issue of public policy as it relates to transgenders that are incarcerated and will only cause needless tension with other posters.

Also, there is no evidence that Manning wants the military to pay for these services, rather, Manning wants the taxpayers, via the pertinent Federal Government Agency involving the Federal Prison System to allocate funds for these surgeries presumably.

Again, if the previous statement offended anyone, I would highly recommend not to comment on it as the discussion will change in tone and sacrifice subjectivity and escalate tension. I am sure that Kyrul understands that he could have articulated his comment in a less offensive and more productive/objective manner.

Sponsored Links