The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:35 AM
TheTorraRegion

Advertise here
Igloo Here!

Is it just me, or did seeing your happy little pokemon bouncing behind you enhance the gameplay? I love HeartGold and SoulSilver because of this feature. I think it's helpful for friendship evolution, and just plain fun. I mean, who wouldn't want to be hugged by a Dragonite?! I really enjoy being able to know what my pokemon think of me as well. It's a feature I've missed and yearned for ever since good ol' Yellow Version.

So, what I'm wondering is this; how many people here at PC were totally in love with your pokemon following you?
Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:39 AM
Castform

This was one of, if not my favorite features of HG/SS. I loved seeing my cute little Pokemon behind me and it brought back such good memories of playing Pokemon Yellow. I could now have my little Castform floating right behind me and I simply loved it. I do hope that this is a feature that will be available again in future Pokemon games.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:47 AM
TheTorraRegion

I know. I was really sad when B/W and B2/W2 didn't have it. And it doesn't look like X/Y are going to, either.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:58 AM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
This feature is really awesome, personally I think it's sad that Game freak didn't implement this in later games but each to their own.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 03:10 PM
BubbleBeams
Defeating Champions Since 1999

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to BubbleBeams
This is undoubtedly my favorite feature of HGSS and I wish they would have kept it around in all the games afterward. At the very least give the option of having one follow you if you want it to.

&
Ultimate Monotype Challenge: Ground
LeafGreen (8/8)|HeartGold (0/16)|Emerald (8/8)|Platinum (5/8)|White 2 (0/8)

Paired with ShadowExcadrill
Old August 23rd, 2013, 03:17 PM
TheTorraRegion

Agreed. We want to put it in our ROM hack, but I'm wondering if that's possible. I'm reaserching it, though.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 04:48 PM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
It was nice to the see the different spirites, but I've always preferred to walk alone and have my Pokémon be in their PokéBalls.

I've never liked that they slide on screen instead of popping out of their PokéBalls, reminds me of Yellow version and I didn't like that either.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:19 PM
curiousnathan
a hero can be afraid, too

Nature: Careful
I loved the follow-me feature and I'm very disappointed that it wasn't implemented into BW and B2W2.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 06:13 PM
Hikamaru
I won't look back
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I loved having my Pokemon walk around with me, and the fact you can talk to them to like the Pikachu in Yellow. I was sad it never made it into 5th Gen, and also unfortunately 6th Gen as well. But I am hoping a future generation does include it again.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

Old August 23rd, 2013, 06:50 PM
Sheep

I loved the walking feature. Super adorable and the little overworld sprites were done so well. Still funny to think about you walking into a Pokemon Center with Onix, though, but other than that it was great! :D

pair clubs
family twin
my star
Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:36 PM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
I so much love this feature. I even waste my play time on a poke behind him, doing random actions.. Haa Haa love those cuties...
Old August 24th, 2013, 12:10 AM
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTorraRegion View Post
...how many people here at PC were totally in love with your pokemon following you?
were?

man, this is the reason i still play SS.
ill never get over it. I love my shiny Eevee picking up things for me! :3
Old August 24th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Radiam
You're not even good enough to be my fake.
Community Supporter

Even though it didn't help you or anything, it's just too damn cute to not like! :3

-Radiam
Old August 24th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
Having your Pokemon follow you was, and still is one of my favorite parts about HG/SS. It's funny how something so simple can really add to the game, and make you want to go back and keep playing. It was sad to see this didn't make a return in the 5th gen, and it doesn't appear to be in X/Y either. Hopefully we'll get this back sooner rather than later, though.
Old August 24th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Autumn Reverie
wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

Nature: Relaxed
This was one of my favourite features of HGSS! I was really glad it made a comeback following the Yellow version. Looking at my Pokemon following me around makes me really happy. Not only does it increase my Pokemon's happiness, it also makes a great bonding technique for me and my team. At the end of the journey, I feel like they've become my best friends.

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family
Old August 24th, 2013, 03:47 AM
«Chuckles»
First of all, I'm not a "total psycho"

This is what made me buy Soul Silver over Pokemon Black when Pokemon Black came out, I really wanted it but seriously I could have my own Eevee, Pikachu, LUGIA! walking behind me!!!

PairTumblrAnime ListFriend Code
Old August 24th, 2013, 04:21 AM
TheTorraRegion

I agree so much! I'm an eevee breeder, and walking with pokemon is really helpful for getting umbreon/espeon. I've always been that person (nerd) that tells people to love their pokes, and walking with my pokemon just makes me feel like we've reached a new relationship. I've always thought that it would be cool if friendship affected EVs and IVs so that people would put more effort into being friends with their pokemon. It's called a TEAM for a reason, in my opinion. Wow I'm happy here! A whole forum full of people like me!
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
I loved it. Although they should have made it optional.

Speaking of walking, they also got rid of the auto-running shoes feature. :\
Old August 25th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Dott

This feature is probably what made me love Heartgold so much, other than the fact that it was my first pokemon game. I loved having my Feraligatr, Dizzy, behind me :D It was just adorable when I turned around and interacted with her, cause it would say things like "Dizzy hugged you!" Picture a big Feraligatr that's almost twice my size hugging me and tell me that's not adorable!

I really wish they included it in more games, it's just a really great feature to me.

Old August 25th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Altair
Incognito

I liked the feature however I'm not fussed about it not being in future installments. HG/SS implemented the feature well, it suited the game. I can't picture it in B/W and B/W 2, despite there being a moment where you can walk a Mienfoo in a house, I'd rather just keep it in HG/SS.
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:33 AM
kosuke
Extraterrestrial DNA

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to kosuke
I love this feature. I love talking to my Pokemon every now and then. It even minimized the usage of my bike. haha
Old August 26th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

Because of that feature, I NEVER used my bike on HG/SS xD
Having this feature brought back sweet childhood memories since Yellow was my very first game ever
I LOVED interacting with my Pokémon and I'd often bring each of them to the front of my team in various situations just to see how DIFFERENT Pokémon react to THE SAME situation.
A really sweet thing is if you visit your mom with a team of 6 and stand next to her then interact with your Pokémon. I noticed that some of them greet your mom, while others show concern for her. And I totally loved how my Pokémon would glance at Team Rocket Members or would be all psyched and ready to take the bad guys down.
Oh and whenever they happened to find shiny leaves and whenever I'd have them walk through puddles. And I LOVED how my Flareon would hate being near water in Olivine City while wahtever water type I had would splash around and play. And I completely adored my Pokémon when they'd start rolling around grass or when they'd trip or wel, in every situation. That's why I didn't mind Ethan much in HG/SS either because I loved him calling to tell me about his Marill doing stuff.
Oh and another sweet thing, whenever you talk to people about your Pokémon, some of them get shy xD Like my Chikorita whenever I'd talk to that girl by the exit of New Bark Town
I really wish they bring that feature back, but make it optional so both those that love it and those that hate it can enjoy the game. Like, in their menu there should be a "Call out" option or whatever.

"We will kill your enemies. That will be fun."
Old August 26th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Nature: Jolly
Oh, I loved the fact that Pokémon were able to walk behind you in HGSS.. that's what sets these two games apart from the rest of them if you ask me!

While they didn't help out much in terms of overall features outside of battle, I really thought it was just cool to see how you could have the top Pokémon in your party outside of its ball and have it follow you. I was somewhat sad to see that this feature was removed in Black/White, though...

Also, it was neat to talk to the Pokémon to see how they were doing, and every now and then if you talked to it, it could possibly have found an accessory for dressing it up.
Fairy
Old August 26th, 2013, 02:31 AM
Foxrally
Torterra = Epic Private Island

Nature: Naive
I loved it. HeartGold isn't one of my favorite games, but it definitely stands out to be as one of the most unique.

I loved having a buizel follow me, it felt like having an epic dog :D Unfortunately some Pokemon felt way to small, for example my Torterra from Platinum

Pairs - -
Old August 26th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Hoenn
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
It made me feel better during the gameplay.
It anchored me into the details, it made me feel throughout the game. One of the reasons the game didn't get monotonous.

I'm not that concerned about the feature not being there, though. It just made HGSS more unique, like Yellow. So in a way it's good.

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here