The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 28th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Definitely one of the best features, and one of the main reasons HeartGold / SoulSilver are possibly my favourite pokémon games. I particularly love how with your starter you get more of a view of the evolution - backsprites are all similar sizes, but when they're following you you clearly see the growth from say...Totodile to Croconaw to Feraligatr.
Old August 28th, 2013, 03:32 AM
Orifiel
Priestess

Nature: Lonely
HG/SS is the only Pokemon game with that feature.
Too bad they didn't add it on Pokemon BW(2) I buy many
max repels that I needed, I'm too lazy to use the bike.
I think it's better to walk with my buddies.
Old August 28th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Calem
Water Pokemon Master

Nature: Bold
This is the most favorite thing i like in Pokemon HG/SS and Yellow. Every time i talk to my Totodile, it make me happy and feeling better after losing in battle. For some reason im still not sure why they remove it from the game in the latest generations. I mean seriously, who wouldn't want their pokemon to walk and enjoy the adventure together.

Old August 28th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Telinc1
Pokémon Trainer

Nature: Quirky
As a lot of people here think, I really like the feature. It was one of the things that made Yellow unique and more different from Red/Blue and I was really happy to see it return in HG/SS. What I also like about it is how cute some sprites are and also how much more interesting it makes the game. Final word, the dialogue is just hilarious sometimes.

Check out my hacks by clicking on the userbar!
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:38 PM
PhoenixWright77
Pokémaster Attorney

Nature: Calm
I think walking with Pokemon was one of the awesome things about this game and I was very sad when they did not bring the feature to the next generation. It really did add more atmosphere to the game and I always found it hilarious when I walked around with a huge legendary Pokemon following me but no one really seemed to notice or care.

Pokemon Y friend code:0559-6785-8830
Remember to PM me if you add me!
Old August 28th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWright77 View Post
I think walking with Pokemon was one of the awesome things about this game and I was very sad when they did not bring the feature to the next generation.
I wasn't. I like how its an exclusive something for HeartGold / SoulSilver. if they ever do re-makes of Hoenn or Sinnoh, then yeah they can bring it back, but not for new games. It's like the snapshots when you enter places first introduced in FrLg. But way, way cooler.
Old August 29th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Lucky1Yena
Just some guy

I say they should bring back the "walking with Pokémon" feature. As all Pokémon games from X and Y onward are likely going to be in full 3D, it'd be nice to walk with your favorite team member again IN 3D.

Only instead of just useless dressing-up props, I think that the Pokémon walking with you should have a chance of picking up useful items too.
Patiently awaiting final versions of these hacks: TheJohto Legacy series - starting with the most complete one, the Christmas hack, Pokémon Liquid Crystal, Pokémon Crystal Dust, Pokémon DarkViolet, Pokémon Prism
Old August 29th, 2013, 07:28 AM
lemonhihi
S1lv3rRay

Nature: Modest
I remember someone saying that the reason they did not implement this feature in B/W/B2/W2 is because of the game size.

There are total of 649+ pokemon in the new gen and including shiny sprite, it will be around 1300 sprites and each sprite have 4 sides (front/back/left/right) + (male/female) = the game does not have enough space for this feature.

My Trade Review

Take a good look ^__^

Old August 29th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

I absolutely loved this feature. It was cute to have my Pokémon following me around, and it gave me a great way to develop friendship between them. Just like most of you, I was sad to see it gone. We already know this feature won't be making a return in X and Y, but I still hope that they bring it back in some of their future Pokémon titles.
Old August 29th, 2013, 04:59 PM
JorgeAamelo
Reality Bender

I absolutely loved it when I got to experiment this feature as soon as I started SoulSilver as my first game was Pokémon Yellow, walking with Pokémon was just a small thing with Pikachu back then, but being able to interact with all the Pokémon in SoulSilver really seemed like the player had some connection to the Pokémon they were walking, as a true bond of friendship.

It's a strange feeling, but sometimes I felt like I examined my Pokémon just to know if they were happy being walked.

Proud Lover of the Brazilian Girl - Annaicat
Old September 11th, 2013, 06:04 AM
TheTorraRegion

I also love how your shiny pokes have shiny over world sprites!
Old September 11th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Fiery Dash

Nonono! Please stop following me, I'd rather travel alone or have a human companion like Buck and Cheryl etc...
And I feel sorry for the likes of Magikarp, Goldeen 'swimming' behind you when there's no water for them.

Last edited by Fiery Dash; September 11th, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:58 AM
LusoTrainer

It was one of the reasons for why I didn't get Pokémon Yellow back then, and it's the reason for why I didn't get this game now. Stupid and not optional feature.
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Xaldin
Big things come in Nice packages.

This feature is one of the reasons why I got 3 or so challenges in stored for SS. I liked this feature,and it was special to me because I didn't have Pokemon Yellow. watching eevee walk around with me was Kawaii....I mean cute :p.
Old September 11th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Kokonoé

Random, but amazing feature. It was nice to see the feature from Pokemon Yellow more realized. I wish it would return.
Old September 12th, 2013, 02:13 AM
PhoenixSoul
I gain strength from my ashes

Nature: Brave
I loved that feature in HG and SS! It just gives a different feeling to the whole game when you see you pokemon following you and training side by side. I hope that the feature will be implemented in future game as an option ( like you can choose to have them follow you or not ) so that each players taste will be taken into consideration.

Old September 12th, 2013, 02:22 AM
Starry Windy
Ride the currents with us.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
The Walking Pokemon feature is what makes HGSS stand out, it's nice to see Pokemon follow me around, talking to them, and the best part is that the Pokemon retains the shinyness outside. I wish that feature return someday.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:22 AM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Heart View Post
The Walking Pokemon feature is what makes HGSS stand out, it's nice to see Pokemon follow me around, talking to them, and the best part is that the Pokemon retains the shinyness outside. I wish that feature return someday.
It would be hard to implement it in a 3D game, simply because they would have to shrink all pokes so they have a reasonable overworld size compared to the player, it would also be more work for GF since they will now need to make new 700+ Pokémon models just for the overworld. :/

Though who knows, maybe in a future generation they will put the option of having a Pokémon follow you, but it will probably be shrunk, I'm totally fine with that...
Old September 12th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Decimosoma
Free to dream, free to smile

I'll probably freak out in joy if they added this feature in XY as a hidden surprise.
To be honest, I never liked G/S/C but HG/SS made me change my mind mainly because of this feature alone, the feature wasn't something that was necessarily needed and it wasn't that big of a deal at all, but small things can make a lot of people happy, ya' know?
Old September 12th, 2013, 04:49 PM
sh1nyzorua
zorua♥&♥zoroark

Nature: Quirky
I love taking my Pokemon on walks . . . I didn't even let my Chikorita evolve for a long time, because I loved having him follow me. When you would talk your Pokemon, and they would give you hugs or jump up and do all those little actions, that was so cute. . . Plus how Shiny Pokemon would actually follow you as Shiny Pokemon! I miss it!

Gif by it-started-to-rain on Tumblr (:
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Sydian

Nature: Timid
This is my all time favorite feature in Pokemon. It makes me so happy to have my Pokemon following me!! It's adorable, and they actually have shiny sprites so you can show off that awesome find or that difficult RNG you worked for. Love it! Wish this feature would return in future games.

Magma Admin Courtney wants to battle!
Mega Camerupt (Lv. 50) - Sheer Force - (Earthquake, Eruption)
Houndoom (Lv. 47) - Early Bird - (Flamethrower, Dark Pulse)
November 21, 2014 / Staff Collab 2014
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links