The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

What book* are you currently reading? How do you like it so far?
If you aren't currently reading a book, what are you waiting for?

*book, not manga or comic
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Mostly reading Holmes right now, has been pretty good thus far. On top of that I'm also progressing slowly with Black Beauty and the Darkly Dreaming Dexter series. Not enjoying those two as much but they are things I want to clear from my backlog.
Old August 24th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
I'm rereading the Hunger Games trilogy and I'm just starting Mockingjay. I, personally, think it's a very well-written series but the ending bugs the living hell out of me because it's like one big elaborate lesson in futility.
Old August 24th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I'm rereading Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes. It's hardcore as always, as it should be. I only started though, just on the second chapter XD
Old August 24th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Elixir.
Fly Away

Nature: Calm
I'm currently reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. It's pretty awesome so far. Dan Brown is an amazing author.
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Savant
Natural Born Breeder

Nature: Quirky
I'm not reading anything lately. I bought a Kindle around a year ago but I just ended up using it for manga and to watch tv on the go.

I did read the first four books of the Percy Jackson series one after the other and then Divergent and its sequel Insurgent. O dear, I just remembered the third and final book of the series comes out October 22nd -w-

I do have the Hunger Games (the first book) on my kindle ready for when I feel like reading a novel. I haven't read it yet but I did see the movie.

3DS FC: 1564-2977-3425
Friend Safari: Psychic (Drowzee - Espurr - ???)

my.anime | my.manga | Circle of One | Pokemon Breeders FC | Fire Emblem FC

Old August 25th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Avey
Enter The Slasher House

Usually I just read compilations of short stories, don't really have the attention span to read novels anymore.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:25 AM
zakisrage
In the trunk on Highway 10

Nature: Impish
Nothing now, but last month I read Carrie by Stephen King. It was good.
Helga: Look Phoebe, you gotta snap out of this. I mean, criminy, it's not like it's the first time you ever farted. Heck, when you sleep over you do it all the time. You rip 'em all night long, they stink to high heaven. It's all I can do to keep from passing out.
Phoebe: Just get out.
- Hey Arnold
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:43 AM
Esper

I'm reading several things. One is a non-fiction book called The Science of Monsters, but it's not very good. It reads more like a drawn out magazine article than a properly researched book. I'm also reading a history book about the Byzantine Empire (which is what the Roman Empire became after it fell) and it's pretty interesting so far. I'm about halfway done with that. I'm also reading some short stories, currently one called Wild Girls by Ursula Le Guin which, while well written, isn't exactly happy or fun as far as its content is concerned so I'm only enjoying it so much.

deviantart blog pair
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:25 AM
Livewire
League Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Ghost Wars, by Stephen Coll. It's basically about the last thirty or forty years of U.S. involvement in the Middle East, Afghanistan, etc, specifically the covert intelligence gathering and CIA involvement there. Very eye-opening and interesting.
ORAS Release Staff Collab 2014
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:28 AM
Ryoutarou
Community Supporter

I just finished reading A Tale for the Time Being a few days ago. Holy crap it is such a slow read. It's easy enough to burn through the first one hundred pages or so, but the next three hundred are torture. There's this shifting perspective going on between a young girl and a retired writer and the writer's POV is interesting at first, but it slowly forces you to drudge along into this story that becomes less interesting by the page. It's a contemporary book, so you either have to really love the style of writing or the situations the characters find themselves in and I lost interest pretty fast. It's one of those books that could have been half the length and gotten across its message in a much more succinct manner.

Now I've got a short list of books I'm going through that I want to read next. I'm probably going to dive into something that isn't contemporary, I need that escape right now. I might read The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack next since I've always been fascinated by Spring Heeled Jack stories but never actually sat down to read a novel about him.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:36 AM
Antemortem
why did Kevin Spacey age

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
My answer seems very juvenile considering the other responses, but I grabbed Buried Onions by Gary Soto, among some other books such as The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, at the library the other day. It's about a nineteen year old boy in a family conflict over the murder of his cousin with an underlying etheral theme about onions or something, haha. I probably won't finish it, but.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:03 AM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
I just finished rereading The Tales of Beedle the Bard since I'm planning on making a Harry Potter fan fiction when I have the time. It's actually a good collection of stories, despite it being a children's book. Right now I'm planning on reading Listening for Crickets by David Gifaldi, since it's just lying around in our house just waiting to be read.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:44 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Haven't read anything in a while, last one I read would be Oblivion by Anthony Horowitz, the last of his "The Power of Five" series. I didn't initially like the post-apocalyptic setting, but the book picks up after the first section.
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:55 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
I am reading The Bourne Supremacy
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Flushed
Tomato Soup
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Homer's The Iliad. I can't say I enjoy it thus far, seeing as I don't like reading in general. Due to the meter (and margins of the pages I guess), it's a relatively quick read. I have to refer to the back often to remind myself who all the characters are, because there are a lot of them.
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Anna
pants on the floor
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I spent the last month reading the entire Animorphs series. Including the spinoff/companion books and everything. All of them. If there ever was a ****ed up children's series... but it's glorious. Kiddo's first proper sci-fi war series. Read them all once when I was like ten but wow I did not even realize the depth of them. I used to be more of a surface-reader, not good at putting myself in the characters' shoes, so the terror and trauma and insanity didn't really make much of a mark on me then but wow it did now. That series stands the test of time, man.

And moving on to the series I fall back into all the time- Discworld! Not sure which book in particular I'm going to jump in with this time; not Soul Music nor the first three Watch books because my friend's been begging me to let him borrow them. Perhaps the von Lipwig duo to prepare for Raising Steam (in November eeeeeee) but I mean I don't necessarily need to re-read them because I've read all of Discworld so many times I practically have them memorized? OH EXCEPT SCIENCE III! ok yes that's what I'll be reading then- The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Aslan
the pretender

Currently reading through The Lord of the Rings. I've been meaning to read it for a while but I haven't had the time. I'm about three quarters of the way through the Fellowship of the Ring and its pretty interesting so far. I enjoy the fantasy and magic in it although it can waffle on and on at some points. Overall quite a good book. :D
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Currently reading Aunt's Aren't Gentlemen by P.G Wodehouse. I seem to have picked interest for re-publishings of his books. They are always entertaining.
Old September 7th, 2013, 09:37 AM
LokiofSassgard
I Believe
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to LokiofSassgard
I've been trying to read the Kingdom Keepers series. I'm on the fourth book right now, but I've been so busy with Saboten and stuff that I haven't had much time to read it... I should go do that lol. The series is actually really good though, especially if you're a huge Disney fan like I am! I know it's for younger kids, but I really enjoy reading them since I'm a Disney fanatic.

pair
|
blog | mibba | writer's blog

Old September 7th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Mimosa_song

I'm reading The Girl of Fire and Thorns.
Old September 7th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

I'm reading The Last Thane by Douglas Niles. It's a book in the DragonLance series, which I'm currently working my way through, since I own most of the books and enjoy the series. Although it's fantasy and about the politics of a city full of dwarfs, it's an easy book to read and I'm enjoying it. Not as much as other books in the DragonLance series, but I'm not finding it a chore to get through.
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:39 AM
goldengyarados

Nature: Lax
I'm currently reading American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. I'm enjoying it so far, it's written in a sort of twisted yet humorous way that I haven't seen executed so well for some time.
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Shamol
Omelette du fromage

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Shamol
I don't usually read fiction. My key study interests are philosophy, science and theology.

Right now I'm reading "The Soul Hypothesis: Investigations into the Existence of the Soul" by Stewart Goetz and Mark C. Baker. It's a collection of 9 essays on recent researches on neuroscience and how it relates to the philosophy of mind.

The question of dualism- whether the physical body and its processes are all there is to us- fascinated me for a long time.
Old September 12th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

I bought a copy of And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie and I can't wait to start it after work today. Detective novels are fun.

Sponsored Links