The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 12th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Rest
Showstealer Pro: Trial Version

Nature: Careful

Advertise here
Reading Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore on-and-off these days. It's my first book from him, and Mom and Dad recommended it to me since they're Murakami fanatics. It's a great book, and a very ethereal one, but I can never seem to just try and sit down and read it front-to-back. The only time I'd really be able to engross myself in the book is when I'm at the airport gate.

I'm not a good reader.
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
I'm currently reading Witch Eyes by Scott Tracey. Initially it was the story of witches and magic that grabbed me, but then I found out the main character is gay and I became all the more inclined to read it. I'm only on the third chapter though, so I have no real opinion on the book just yet. So far it's been pretty good.
Old September 12th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I'm reading The Hunger Games right now, and I'm loving it. Can't wait to get onto Catching Fire and Mockingjay D:

Old September 15th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
I've just started reading Chuck Amuck: the autobiography of Chuck Jones. On my phone as well, no less! Technology is amazing. But yeah, I hope to learn lots about a guy whose work creating many of my favourite Looney Tunes shorts delighted me to no end as a child.
Old September 16th, 2013, 05:03 PM
pompayyy
Forever and Ever

I'm currently reading "Sam and Max Surfin' The Highway" which is a collection of all Sam and Max comics. Sam and Max is a comic book series made by Steve Purcell, and is most famous for the point-and-click adventure games based of the comics. There was also a short lived, but well received TV show based on it. It's a truly hilarious series that follows the misadventures of Sam (a large brown dog) and Max (a hyperkinetic rabbity thing), two friends who call themselves the "Freelance Police" and solve strange crimes in a wide assortment of places (like the moon, ancient Egypt, etc.). I suggest it to anybody who wants a funny read.

Pink Moon is on its way.

Old September 17th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rest View Post
Reading Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore on-and-off these days. It's my first book from him, and Mom and Dad recommended it to me since they're Murakami fanatics. It's a great book, and a very ethereal one, but I can never seem to just try and sit down and read it front-to-back. The only time I'd really be able to engross myself in the book is when I'm at the airport gate.

I'm not a good reader. :(
I have the same trouble with Murakami. I've been trying to finish 1Q84 for, gosh, almost a year now. Granted, it's long, but I've read at least the equivalent number or pages in the space between. Probably much more.

I'm also reading Un Lun Dun by China Miéville. Liking it so far. Lots of reminders of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere (which I just listened to a radio adaption of). Similar kind of premise, but a much different take and tone.

deviantart blog pair
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Rest
Showstealer Pro: Trial Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Lots of reminders of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere (which I just listened to a radio adaption of). Similar kind of premise, but a much different take and tone.
Neil Gaiman is awesome. His short stories collection Smoke and Mirrors is an incredible read.

I'm reading this at the moment:-

and I am LOVING it.
Old September 25th, 2013, 12:37 PM
François
#FutureHoennRemakesMod
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Unfortunately I have far too little free time to read these days, but thankfully school has put a wonderful book called 'How Many Miles to Babylon?' on the curriculum and I'm getting much enjoyment from it at the moment. It's a very interesting tale of the class divide of the past (set in Ireland): the upper classes and the peasants, how the class divide affected everyone, not just the poor and so on.

There are some wonderful characters and scenes, even the odd amusing moment. "What a strange and very ugly name" is already a favourite quote of mine. Would recommend to anyone who loves icy females and social commentary.

Old September 25th, 2013, 01:13 PM
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
People read books?? Just kidding.
Gah I'm in the middle of so many books. I need to start taking them one by one. So Doctor Who - Dark Horizons by Jenny T. Colgan. But I also got the Kane Chronicles and Heroes of Olympus, and ROOMS, and I don't even remember.

Old September 25th, 2013, 01:40 PM
sh1nyzorua
zorua♥&♥zoroark

Nature: Quirky
I finished reading Foxfire by Joyce Carol Oates today :<
This was my second time reading it and now I need something new to read. . .

Gif by it-started-to-rain on Tumblr (:
Old September 25th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Flushed
down the drain.
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Flushed
Just starting to read the Christian Bible. Excuse my ignorance, I'm not exactly sure of the formal title, or the structure of books, so I guess I'm going to refer to it as such. I think it's quite an interesting book to assign for class, it's definitely going to be an interesting read, coming from someone who isn't affiliated with a particular religion.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 01:43 PM
Triforce

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Triforce
Just finished "Police" by Jo Nesbo. I'm not reading "A Wanted Man" by Lee Child.

~Triforce~

3DS Code: 2766 9107 9652
Old October 2nd, 2013, 01:54 PM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to antemortem
The audiobook version of The Fault in Our Stars. I'm literally a page into it so my thoughts are undeveloped thus far to say the least.
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

I'm currently juggling two books.

First one is the Puppet King by Douglas Niles. It's another DragonLance book. While I love the series for being my first introduction to fantasy, and there are plenty of books that I enjoy, I'm beginning to understand the criticism that the series gets. While I've only read the first few pages of the book, it had a few problems that bother me. I'm still going to get through it to knock it off my list, but it's definitely going to be a DragonLance novel I'm never reading again.

The other book is Shadows in Flight by Orson Scott Card. I'm a huge fan of Card's work, but there are a few of his books I haven't read yet. This was one of them, though I did start it when it first came out. But there's a problem I have with it that had stopped me from finishing it back then. I do find it more enjoyable than the Puppet King, but then again, there's really not a Card book that I don't like.
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:40 PM
hananas59

Im reading Isola from Isabel abedi (german book)

I dont like it that much as I usually ready phantasy or sci-fi and this one is not in my to my like that much
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Knormageddon
King of Stronk Style

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via Skype™ to Knormageddon
I just finished the third book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series (the Game of Thrones series), called A Storm of Swords. Absolutely a fantastic series thus far, you should definitely check it out if you're into fantasy books.
Old October 8th, 2013, 05:14 PM
pompayyy
Forever and Ever

(I feel really stupid for reading comics when all y'alls are reading classy literature ) I'm also reading Arthur C. Clarke's (you guessed it) 2001: A Space Odyssey. I'm pretty far in this classic (that you guys probably read 10 years ago ) and I have to say: it's great. Now, I'm a creationist so I don't believe in evolution, but the way this book tackles it is just great. The way it goes is that a giant monolith controlled apes and made them learn and adapt: thus creating evolution. The chapters in space are all pretty much iconic. Especially the ones featuring HAL 9000 and his famous quote " I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that". I'm intending on watching the movie after I'm done with it as well.

Pink Moon is on its way.

Old October 8th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Larinelle
Purrfect Purple Paradise

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Larinelle
I've been reading the Harry Potter companion books - currently Fantastic Beasts and where to find them.
Mostly cause the new movie was announced so I figured I should get going and read them. ;
I am finding them more entertaining than I expected though.
Old October 9th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Zethremar
Entirely Uninteresting

I am currently working my way through the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson, and am LOVING IT. Its just so epic, decided to pick it up as I need a series to keep me occupied until the next ASOIAF book, and am so happy I did. I'm currently just into Toll of the Hounds.
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
Been slowly rereading through the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series while waiting for Heroes of Olympus: House of Hades to arrive at our house and for my sister to read it. At least the parts that I feel like reading. Not sure if I'll get to the first three HOO books because I don't even have them in my possession right now but oh well. ♥
Old October 9th, 2013, 10:38 AM
MewtwoGaara

Send a message via AIM to MewtwoGaara
I've just started Terry Goodkind's fantasy series. Some of the books are huge!
Old October 13th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
Heroes of Olympus: House of Hades

Or rather I finished it today. I have so many ****ing feels I cannot express them all in this thread but ahhhh Rick Riordan really outdid himself with this book I loved it so much and I really actually just want to sit down and reread some part. Maybe tomorrow. ;_;
Old October 13th, 2013, 09:53 PM
«Chuckles»
First of all, I'm not a "total psycho"

Other than my usual Walking Dead since I follow the graphic novels (this next season will not be that good since it will only be progression until they get to the next big place that is very good)

I am reading not much other than weekly manga I do not read much.

PairTumblrAnime ListFriend Code
Old October 15th, 2013, 06:09 PM
gokaiblue

Nature: Calm
I'm mainly reading The Phantom of the Opera while also reading In Cold Blood for school.
Old October 17th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Mystify
I'm so spooky

I'm currently rereading Ender's Game because I'm super excited for the movie. I've been following it since they first started casting. So stoked, hope it somewhat does the book justice!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here