Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games
Reload this Page Nintendo 2DS

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Old August 28th, 2013 (04:56 PM).
Real Riders Wear Pink

Nature: Quirky
My only complaint about the 2DS is how difficult it'll be to use when getting streetpasses, especially if kids don't want to mess up the top screen with a lot of dusts from their pockets. Somehow, I doubt the 2DS will be affordable enough for those who can't buy the other 3DS's, because I know someone will think $129.99 is still expensive for him due to his low income.

Also, reading all of these "Nintendo is doomed" comments here regarding the 2DS makes me want to cringe for missing the main idea of this device.
Old August 28th, 2013 (07:48 PM).
ffet
ModeratorEO

Nature: Relaxed
People complain about the 3DS being too expensive, yet continue to complain after Nintendo produces a cheaper version...

I already have a 3DS, so I don't have any need for the 2DS. I don't see why anyone should hate on it, no one's being forced to buy it and it won't affect 3DS users.
Old August 28th, 2013 (07:57 PM).
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Timid
Quote:
People complain about the 3DS being too expensive, yet continue to complain after Nintendo produces a cheaper version...

I already have a 3DS, so I don't have any need for the 2DS. I don't see why anyone should hate on it, no one's being forced to buy it and it won't affect 3DS users.
I agree. Unfortunately, people just like to complain about things that have nothing to do with them.

paired to klippy
Old August 28th, 2013 (08:01 PM).
who are you
Gold Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Apple Juice
I'm actually at a point of purchasing a new console at the moment, specifically the 3DS. I heard about this today, and the price does tempt me, but I honestly can't think of much more reason to buy this. I'll still have my DSi, and the 3DS is for the enhanced graphics, so I'm not sure I'd enjoy the games as much if I played them on a 2D screen. If I do end up choosing the 2DS, it'll be because I want to purchase more games immediately along with the console, haha.

LP/Guide/Review of the Week! - create one now and it could be featured!
shawn , janna , dave // credit
Old August 28th, 2013 (08:28 PM).
Grey Cat

The design is growing on me, its sort of cute! It also looks like it might be more comfortable in the video.
Old August 28th, 2013 (08:42 PM).
Chews nails and spits napalm

Nature: Quiet
The price is pretty tempting to me, since I have yet to even buy a normal 3DS yet, but even though I don't find the design completely awful, I'm worried I'll start to miss the ability to fold up my DS and put it my pocket, among other features the 2DS is missing. Oh well, I'll probably make up my mind before Pokemon X &Y are released.
CSS|VM/PM|THEME
Old August 28th, 2013 (09:05 PM). Edited August 29th, 2013 by DavidtheDeadPhilosopher.

Nature: Modest
I think the design actually looks far more confortable then the 3DS original, My hands always start to cramp up after a few hours of playing that system, regardless of the game I'm playing.

In my experience the hinge-consoles have been somewhat fragile, and I've had 2 break on me at different points. (My current 3DS has a right shoulder button malfunction that's actually a fairly common accurance among many other users I've talked to). So having a sturdier system might not be the worst thing in the world. I'd have a hard time seeing anyone breaking that thing.

As for the screen worries, they have items such as screen protectors an it's also fairly likely that Nintendo and 3rd party companies will be creating at least 1 good case for the system.

It's rather quite brilliant really, selling possibly the most kid friendly system since the GBA pretty much on launch with a Pokemon title. This should sell really well, just not to us.

That being said, I might just buy one to be a Pokemon Player
Old August 28th, 2013 (09:35 PM).

Nature: Jolly
The price seems reasonable, but I think some people will just be using it to put into their toasters.
Old August 28th, 2013 (11:01 PM).
can I have a Pokepuff?
Gold Tier

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Poke Fox
Quote originally posted by PhoenixWright77:
I want to ask something. Just how many people actually used the 3D more then 5 times? Me and most of my friends don't, I know that. The 3D was a nice feature and all but I found myself completely forgetting the 3D after a few days with the system. I'm not sure if it's just me, but 3D makes it hard for me to focus on the game, especially if it's filled with fast-paced action.

Also, now that I think about it, Super Mario 3D Land had some sections where it helps if you turn the 3D on.(Pretty much the game where I used it most because of that) But, I don't really think that would be a problem. It was not used that much as far as I know.(I never did 100% on that game but I did beat the main story and some of the bonus worlds and, as far as I can recall, I only had to use it like 2-3 times and it's perfectly doable without the 3D)

Also, I don't see why so many people are hating on the design. I mean...it looks exactly like an open 3DS with the buttons moved up. It's really not so bad people. I've read a hands on that says it's rather comfortable so it won't interfere with gaming or anything.

Also, you can actually close it in a way. There is a slider that simulates the closing of the screen.
I only have 1 3D game (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity) and every time I play I always have the 3D on, makes game more fun. No experience with any other 3D game so far. I guess everyone is different I use 3D a lot, for me main reason to get 3DS too, I have fun with the camera and 3D video too.

I just hope the 2DS has many of the features I use a lot besides gaming, video and camera. I have not checked out everything it offers. Since it plays 3DS games If I do get it I will use it for trading between X & Y, or between Black2 and X or Y.

Slider isn't same as closing the 3DS. That is just me.

Old August 29th, 2013 (12:10 AM).
Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
AdministratorCS

Send a message via Skype™ to Ivysaur
I'm pretty sorry for the people trying to play Mario & Luigi 4 there because I tried to bring the console to the beach one day and the lighting made it impossible for me to tell the 3D and... the pre-final boss has a specially annoying attack that is virtually impossible to dodge without the 3D on. I had to give up and wait to be back home to try again. Not that I would have known otherwise because I don't think I have ever turned the 3D off voluntarily. 3DS games without 3D just look visually horrible to me.

So I won't be touching this thing with a 3 metre pole. But I'm sure this is a wonderful alternative for the people who never use the 3D for a reason or another and, as it's been said, for all the parents who want to buy Pokémon X&Y for their kids but were worried about their eyes blowing up because of the effect or the console breaking. I can see it winning the Christmas sale- it's the cheapest system right now, and the one with better games as of yet.
Old August 29th, 2013 (12:25 AM).
Banned

Nature: Naughty
This actually doesn't look too bad. Sure, at first glance, 'EW!' but at second, hmm, it might actually be more comfortable. It comes with it's own case, more colors might be announced. I may get this for my Birthday. I'll compare, see which one is more awesome.
Old August 29th, 2013 (04:45 AM). Edited August 29th, 2013 by latias190.

Nature: Quiet
... Welp, it seems like Nintendo is finally cracking under whatever they're inhaling. That thing is hideous and bulky.
Old August 29th, 2013 (06:11 PM). Edited August 29th, 2013 by Brane.
-

I think it's fine for the audience it's aimed at. Parent's dont need to find their way through settings to turn 3D off, the screens are slightly more indented to avoid damage, and they're connected to make them more durable. The overall console is more durable, bulky and the lack of a hinge means it's harder for kids to break it if they say drop it. Not to mention it's significantly cheaper then the other DS consoles.

It's quite obviously aimed at children, which is why I don't understand why they chose to highlight adults playing it? Nonetheless I believe it will do fine and is much more promising for parents, the price is lower, it's more durable and it has more games aimed towards children.
Old August 29th, 2013 (10:07 PM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Hasty
Let's just say that if you're put off by the compromises the system had to make to reach its price point, the system is not for you - this system is targeted towards young children and people that want to save as much money as possible to play 3DS games without the 3D.

The design is awkward, but that's what you get for cost-cutting on design. It's also technically one screen under the surface - the plastic is there to create a gap for consistency. It's cheaper to produce one larger, 2D screen than two separate screens, where one of them is 3D.
Old August 29th, 2013 (11:52 PM).
out of work
Crystal Tier

Just realised something. How would it be possible to play 3DS games when you hold it sideways? I'd imagine it would be very uncomfortable.

I can understand them re-designing a system to cut costs, but this slate design seems to do more harm than good in my book.

tumblr.
Old August 30th, 2013 (12:26 AM).
What is love, if one could not see it?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Koishi Komeiji
The design is bad in my opinion. Like a Game Boy partially burnt and melted in a fire.

The folding design for the DS line was essentially what made them good in a way, as the folding mechanisms allowed for easy storage. It's going to be sad to lug around that huge thing now, isn't it?
beloved
theme
credit
Old August 30th, 2013 (02:18 PM).
<insert witty eloquence here>

Nature: Relaxed
I kind of like it, in spite of myself. Not that I'd ever buy one, given that I have a 3DS of my own, but for what it is, it's not that terrible, really. It's cheap (not as cheap as people would like, but it's a start), it doesn't have the 3D (its unique selling point), and though the design is a little clunky, it's definitely functional for what it is. I'm not going to buy one myself, but I certainly won't be begrudging people who end up doing so when it comes out in a few weeks' time. If anything, I'm impressed that it managed to stay a secret for this long, given the leak culture that currently exists in this industry! :D
Old August 31st, 2013 (09:55 AM).

Nature: Quirky
I can't decide how I myself feel about it. I'm a 19 year old casual gamer who mainly plays Pokemon, and I can definitely see how it would appeal to the younger crowd of gamers (4 and up.) The price will definitely be a factor IMHO because I know for a FACT that being a poor college student I saved from 1st January to mid-April before I had enough for my 3DS XL and a single 3DS game, being Luigi's Mansion. To this day I only have 3 3DS games total; I have Animal Crossing and Sims 3. I barely use the 3D as it kind of hurts my eyes after long periods and it's basically unnecessary in the Sims, Animal Crossing is just fine without it, and Luigi's Mansion I barely play as I can't focus on it for a long time. Parents will flock to this system, because I can totally see kids begging their parents for 3DS's to play the new Pokemon games. Releasing it at a lower price point with a kid-friendly form factor at the same time as XY is going to either make or break this new edition of the console, I think. I just think their advertising budget should be amped up for this system to reach more kids and parents, or else this system may not sell well.
Old August 31st, 2013 (10:11 AM).
I always win.

Nature: Impish
They're digging their own grave and jumping in it at this point. They're keeping region-locking, their main console's controller costs egregious amounts of money, their main handheld has a 2 hour battery life, and now they make a handheld that isn't even portable.

Nintendo is dying, and I couldn't be more happy. Their fanboys are the absolute worst with their insane loyalty and affinity for branding anyone who doesn't like Nintendo as someone who plays nothing but Call of Duty and cares only about graphics.

Plus, they make nothing but Mario games.

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old August 31st, 2013 (10:21 AM).
Master Trainer

Nature: Adamant
I'm in favor of the 2DS. I will be able to trade with myself when I do get both X and Y without having to buy a full 3DS. To be honest, if this was an option in March of 2011, I would have gotten this instead of the 3DS because I only use the 3D out of guilt because I feel that it is the whole gimmick of the system.

Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/The-Legend-Arkana-Great-ebook/dp/B00DAIDXDA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371362957&sr=8-1&keywords=B00DAIDXDA

iOS devices can access via apps for either Kindle or Nook

Also, for those of you who like more realistic fiction, on November 28th, my second work Family is Forever comes out.
Old August 31st, 2013 (10:31 AM).
Hundred and ten! Hundred and ten million!

Quote originally posted by Elgyem:
Nintendo is dying, and I couldn't be more happy.
lol.

Their fanboys are the absolute worst with their insane loyalty and affinity for branding anyone who doesn't like Nintendo as someone who plays nothing but Call of Duty and cares only about graphics.
Whoa with that generalization! Did a Nintendo fan kill your cat or something? lol.

Yeah, no. lol.

Twitter - Tumblr
Old August 31st, 2013 (10:38 AM). Edited September 1st, 2013 by droomph.
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
Their fanboys are the absolute worst with their insane loyalty
Then why are you on a Pokémon forum, which can only be played on Nintendo consoles? Just a thought.

Quote originally posted by Spinosaurus:
Whoa with that generalization! Did a Nintendo fan kill your cat or something? lol.
Sony, PC, and Microsoft fanboys are fairly civilized in their arguing, but both of them turn into demons when you say that you like Nintendo consoles in addition to XBOX, PC, and PSx and that they all have their equal strengths and weaknesses (aka logic). Everyone hates Nintendo because of things like the 2DS but tbh they still make some decent consoles (the Wii, for example.) they just tend to throw in little gimmicks along with a well-formed console (3DS), which Sony and Microsoft do with whole new gadgets, like the Move or Kinect.

as for my personal opinion I think it's pretty! It might be kinda gimmicky to sell this but I've never used the 3D voluntarily past the Camera, and a lot of people who bought the 3DS have been complaining about the 3D never being used, so it's a way at least to address that problem.

Old August 31st, 2013 (05:02 PM).
-

They're digging their own grave and jumping in it at this point. They're keeping region-locking, their main console's controller costs egregious amounts of money, their main handheld has a 2 hour battery life, and now they make a handheld that isn't even portable.

Nintendo is dying, and I couldn't be more happy. Their fanboys are the absolute worst with their insane loyalty and affinity for branding anyone who doesn't like Nintendo as someone who plays nothing but Call of Duty and cares only about graphics.

How is it not portable? The only place it can no longer fit is in your pocket.

And who can honestly say they always carry their 3DS in their pocket? I never do, it's in my bag.

Good article by Polygon covering the console: http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/30/4676984/nintendo-2ds-hands-on-surprisingly-not-the-worst-thing-ever
Old August 31st, 2013 (11:22 PM).
out of work
Crystal Tier

...now they make a handheld that isn't even portable.
Using your same logic, iPads and PS Vitas are not portable and you have to drag it around like you're tugging a boat. This 2DS, while a stupid, stupid product mainly due to the affordability of the basic 3DS, is made to fit in a bag rather than a pocket.

Nintendo is dying,
Someone's melodramatic.

Their fanboys are the absolute worst with their insane loyalty and affinity for branding anyone who doesn't like Nintendo as someone who plays nothing but Call of Duty and cares only about graphics.
I actually agree with this. Most Nintendo fanboys just seem to scapegoat Call Of Duty and others FPS games all the time and put down people for not being a drone that will like anything which is a Nintendo product.

It's defiantly not all of them, but there shared intolerance for FPS games is really a bit silly.

Just to prove I'm not a fanboy, I dislike the Wii (although I like the Wii U) and this 2DS... thing made for toddlers and those who don't know how to use the 3D toggle switch on the 3DS.

To say that this is a sweeping generalisation would be a understatement. Once again I can use your logic and say that Microsoft only makes Halo titles and Capcom only makes Mega Man titles (lol).

tumblr.
Old September 1st, 2013 (07:44 PM).
Hobbyist Game Developer

Nature: Brave
I feel like this is a good move on Nintendo's part. Kids throw their handhelds around all the time and this is clearly built to be durable since the 2DS is aimed at kids or those looking to save a few bucks. And it comes out around the time of Pokémon X and Y, so there is no doubt this thing will move several units.

Sponsored Links