Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Clubs
Reload this Page I Choose You! -The Starter Pokemon Fan Club

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Clubs This forum is for those who wish to start a club within the community. This forum is for Pokémon clubs; Fan Clubs & Groups is for everything else.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old September 7th, 2013 (02:10 PM).
Team Johto
ModeratorBSCSEO

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers:
Yeah, I'm totally seeing something like this for Fennekin's evolutions:
Spoiler:

Yes, that's Digimon :p

The same idea that Vulpix/Ninetales are pretty much, but executed more on the psychic angle. Ninetales knows some psychic moves, doesn't it?

And Froakie being part fighting certainly bears resemblance to Poliwrath and its line. They are frogs/tadpoles after all. But considering how many different lines are very similar to each other in pokémon these days, I doubt it would be a problem. Especially with Fennekin and Vulpix coexisting already.
Totally agree! I'm basically hoping that the Fennekin family becomes everything that the Vulpix family could have, but didn't. Psychic is the perfect secondary typing and I don't think anything else would even come close to making sense.

Quote originally posted by Cirno:
Username(nickname): Cirno
Partner(choose a starter from the list): Chikorita
What is your favorite fully evolved starter and why: Probably Typhlosion. Looks-wise he's the coolest and I got very attached to him as a kid. The awesome guy swept through almost everything during the G/S/C days, too.

But on another note.. please no more fire/fighting. Q_Q I've had enough of these guys and it's about time Pokemon went down a different path. Fire/psychic for Fennekin, anyone? :D

Welcome, Cirno! I have added you to the list :D. Greatc choice of a partner because Chikorita is just so adorable. Such an underrated starter that I want to see get much more love. Also, Typlosion is certainly amazing and one of the best looking starters. I like how he is the only pure typed fully evolved starter which makes him very unique and interesting!
Old September 7th, 2013 (02:16 PM).
the heroes of our time
Team Johto
ModeratorEO

Nature: Naive
Oh, I've never really thought of it but Johto is the only region with only pure typed starters, isn't it? Makes them pretty cool just because of that. And because of their nice designs of course! The closest second one would be Unova with only one line being dual type, and then Kanto with one line + Charizard being dual type.

moderator:
x Roleplay Theatre

roleplays:
x Crossroads
x Digimon
x Titans
x Legends

Old September 7th, 2013 (02:21 PM).
Team Johto
ModeratorBSCSEO

Yeah, Johto has always stood out to me because of that. However, Johto had the starters that could pull off pure typings because they looked like they should have been. The other starters outside of gen 2, maybe excluding Blastoise, all look like they could have had a secondary typing such as Sceptile and Serperior being Dragon and Samurott looks like it could have been part Fighting.

You also may evolve your starter if you want :]
Old September 7th, 2013 (02:26 PM).
a moth to flame
Team Unova
AdministratorCS

Nature: Timid
Yeah, poor Chikorita is so underrated.. D: But I can see why since it's certainly the weakest of the starters. I always suffer trying to use it, though I guess it does make an all right tank. Well, either way, Chikorita's line will continue to be my very favorite!

As for fifth generation starters, I was almost 100% sure Samurott would end up being water/fighting while Emboar would be fire/dark. Was so sad to see that they didn't go down that path.
Old September 7th, 2013 (02:49 PM).
Team Johto
ModeratorBSCSEO

Totally agree and even Fire/Ground would have been a better typing for Emboar because he is based on pig right? It just makes a little sense because pigs like dirt and all, haha. I'm not sure why they went with Fire/Fighting on him because he certainly doesn't look like that should be his typing .
Old September 7th, 2013 (05:05 PM).
the pretender
Team Sinnoh

Nature: Lax
Perhaps Emboar represents a wrestler in a sense? Those huge fists look like they could pick up a tree easily. While I'd also like Fire/Ground, I think Fire/Fighting would make it appear more badass of a Pokemon. I admit its uncreative but you have to say that it does resemble a huge wrestler or punk standing in your way. Maybe that's just me though?

Either way I still think Fire/Ground would make sense. Pigs love digging and getting dirty and ground would suit Emboar perfectly. Its arms could also be used to shovel dirt at the speed of sound or help construction workers with projects. Maybe it's like Conkeldurr, where it helps with construction. I honestly have no idea but I'd prefer Fire/Ground as well.
Old September 7th, 2013 (05:42 PM).
~Gir~
Team Hoenn

Nature: Quirky
Username(nickname): Well my username is Gir500, but u guys can call me whatever you want :p
Partner(choose a starter from the list): Pikachu (It's my favorite pokemon ever <3)
Answer to current topic:
Well I can make really good cases for almost all of the starters, and I love several of the starters equally, so I will just pick one to explain my case.
Infernape, although not the first starter to be the duel type of fire/fighting its Sp.A and Speed plus the good move set it can learn, also the good game play in Platinum makes it to one of the top 5 starters on my list.
Old September 8th, 2013 (12:20 PM).
Team Johto
ModeratorBSCSEO

Quote originally posted by Gir500:
Username(nickname): Well my username is Gir500, but u guys can call me whatever you want :p
Partner(choose a starter from the list): Pikachu (It's my favorite pokemon ever <3)
Answer to current topic:
Well I can make really good cases for almost all of the starters, and I love several of the starters equally, so I will just pick one to explain my case.
Infernape, although not the first starter to be the duel type of fire/fighting its Sp.A and Speed plus the good move set it can learn, also the good game play in Platinum makes it to one of the top 5 starters on my list.

Welcome to the club, Gir500! I've added you to the list and I hope you become an active club member :D

Pikachu has always been a Pokemon that I love and I feel most fans due because he is the face of Pokemon. I remember using him in Pokemon Yellow and having that cute little guy follow me around was fantastic! He was a very hard starter to use, but overall pretty good.

Anyways guys I'll post a new topic!

What do you take into account when choosing your starter Pokemon?
Old September 8th, 2013 (02:19 PM).
Team Unova
Crystal Tier

I mostly take loads of things into account, notably looks, the usability of its stats and I tend to get the ones that aren't lacking in too many departments, this is probably why I choose Water more than Fire or Grass. Water tends to have balanced stats and I often liked the designs of the Water-types.
Old September 9th, 2013 (04:20 AM).
the heroes of our time
Team Johto
ModeratorEO

Looks, type and what moves it can learn. I usually go for the fire type because I enjoy their designs and moves the best. I chose Tepig in Unova, Chimchar in Sinnoh and Cyndaquil in Johto. Kanto and Hoenn, I've sometimes used Bulbasaur and Mudkip, mostly for strategic purposes. Mudkip and its evos kick butt in Hoenn's gyms and it's possibly the best water type I know in those games. Bulbasaur and its evos are generally very useful going through the game, even though maybe not so much later on imo. Charizard is usually nice because I teach it FLY and usually don't have other bird/flying types on my team.

So yeah. The fire/fighting starters are actually quite nice imo, even though it gets uncreative with 3 gens in a row doing that.

Another factor is of course what other pokémon are available in the region of a certain game. If there are many interesting water types to choose from, I'm not likely to pick the water starter. If there is a really cool fire type to get my hands on not too late into the game, I might refrain from picking the fire starter. I don't like to have several pokémon with the same type on my in-game teams.

Also, I'd love to evolve Piplup! :3

moderator:
x Roleplay Theatre

roleplays:
x Crossroads
x Digimon
x Titans
x Legends

Old September 9th, 2013 (07:23 AM).
Team Hoenn

Nature: Quiet
Username: Slaying Moon
Partner: Torchic
Answer to current topic: I don't put too much effort into choosing my starter. I usually just take the Fire-type, but I reset if it's not female (I prefer female Pokemon).

I have a YouTube channel! Check me out at http://www.youtube.com/c/ByakuyaKuchikiSquad6Captain
I'm currently working on an LP of Pokemon Expert Emerald...found at http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=264213
Old September 9th, 2013 (11:33 AM).
HAPPY SAINT PATTIES DAY
Team Kalos

Nature: Naughty

I take into account about how well I think I will bond with that pokemon. I have mostly always bonded with the fire types a few exceptions is Chikorita(Still love cyndaquil) and Snivy. But I always wanted a Female starter.

And Hey Jelli could you add contests to this club?
Old September 9th, 2013 (12:45 PM).
Team Johto
ModeratorBSCSEO

Quote originally posted by Hikari10:

I mostly take loads of things into account, notably looks, the usability of its stats and I tend to get the ones that aren't lacking in too many departments, this is probably why I choose Water more than Fire or Grass. Water tends to have balanced stats and I often liked the designs of the Water-types.

I will agree here with you, Hikari! Look are the number one factor when I choose my starter. If it isn't visually appealing, I don't want to use it on my team. For example, Snivy is one of the best looking starters of all time, but horrid stat wise. He was extremely hard to use, but I didn't care because I was in love with his design. Same with Chikorita, a very cute Pokemon, but really hard to use.

Quote originally posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers:
Looks, type and what moves it can learn. I usually go for the fire type because I enjoy their designs and moves the best. I chose Tepig in Unova, Chimchar in Sinnoh and Cyndaquil in Johto. Kanto and Hoenn, I've sometimes used Bulbasaur and Mudkip, mostly for strategic purposes. Mudkip and its evos kick butt in Hoenn's gyms and it's possibly the best water type I know in those games. Bulbasaur and its evos are generally very useful going through the game, even though maybe not so much later on imo. Charizard is usually nice because I teach it FLY and usually don't have other bird/flying types on my team.

So yeah. The fire/fighting starters are actually quite nice imo, even though it gets uncreative with 3 gens in a row doing that.

Another factor is of course what other pokémon are available in the region of a certain game. If there are many interesting water types to choose from, I'm not likely to pick the water starter. If there is a really cool fire type to get my hands on not too late into the game, I might refrain from picking the fire starter. I don't like to have several pokémon with the same type on my in-game teams.

Also, I'd love to evolve Piplup! :3
Congrats on the Prinplup! I definitely think that those are all great factors when choosing a starter Pokemon, especially the last point you made about seeing if there are other interesting Pokemon in the games of the same types. This was the case in gen 5 for me. I liked Oshawott, but there was another great Water type in the game called Jellicent. This was enough reason for me to pick Snivy instead.

Quote originally posted by Slaying Moon:
Username: Slaying Moon
Partner: Torchic
Answer to current topic: I don't put too much effort into choosing my starter. I usually just take the Fire-type, but I reset if it's not female (I prefer female Pokemon).

Welcome to the club, Slaying Moon! Torchic is wonderful and we both share the love for the little guy. Is he your favorite starter of all time as well?

Quote originally posted by Daughter of Dawn:

I take into account about how well I think I will bond with that pokemon. I have mostly always bonded with the fire types a few exceptions is Chikorita(Still love cyndaquil) and Snivy. But I always wanted a Female starter.

And Hey Jelli could you add contests to this club?
That is an interesting method of choosing your starter! I have never thought about it like that, but I agree that is a really cool idea. What about Fire starters make them easier to bond with?

Also, unfortunately no I won't be adding contests as this is a Starter Pokemon club and I feel like that really wouldn't fit in. Sorry
Old September 10th, 2013 (04:26 AM).
Momentai :D
Team Sinnoh

I've been debating whether or not to join because 90% of the time I end up abandoning my starter Pokémon near the start of the journey to use something cooler instead, but I do like the Pokémon themselves so I think I'll sign-up!

Username(nickname): Ozzy!
Partner(choose a starter from the list): Twiggy the Turtwig! *shoves Everstone down throat*

What do I take into account whilst choosing them? Hmm... I think honestly it's just a case of which one I feel like using at the time haha. In Gen II I'll always choose Cyndaquil because Chikorita reminds me of something a friend should use rather than myself and the Totodile line is my least favourite in the game, but otherwise I'll usually just pick something random as long as I didn't use it the time before. I'll often end up picking the cuter ones and basing the whole decision on which will end up cutest as strength is never a huge issue for me with in-game teams and all the starters end up decent anyway (lol Meganium), so really it's just a case of whatever I feel like at the time haha.

And aren't the Sinnoh starters all just the cutest little things omg <333
Old September 10th, 2013 (10:25 AM).
the heroes of our time
Team Johto
ModeratorEO

Quote originally posted by AlexOzzyCake:
Agreed. They look good imo, and I've found myself judging a gen of pokémon after how good the starter trio look together :x Maybe that's silly haha. It took some time for me to really appreciate Hoenn, because I thought the starters looked so odd and... Impersonal kinda? Compared to the jolly looks of the Johto and Kanto starters. Mudkip and Torchic just kind of stared at you with their black little eyes and Treecko looked eternally bored. I do like them more nowadays, so don't worry ;) There's Blaziken, after all.

moderator:
x Roleplay Theatre

roleplays:
x Crossroads
x Digimon
x Titans
x Legends

Old September 10th, 2013 (11:26 AM).
HAPPY SAINT PATTIES DAY
Team Kalos

What about Fire starters make them easier to bond with?

I don't know. Maybe its my personality. But when I take personality quizzes I always come out with something to do with Ice. Maybe for me it is just that they are really handy further down the road.
Old September 10th, 2013 (03:13 PM).
Team Johto
ModeratorBSCSEO

Quote originally posted by AlexOzzyCake:
I've been debating whether or not to join because 90% of the time I end up abandoning my starter Pokémon near the start of the journey to use something cooler instead, but I do like the Pokémon themselves so I think I'll sign-up!

Username(nickname): Ozzy!
Partner(choose a starter from the list): Twiggy the Turtwig! *shoves Everstone down throat*

What do I take into account whilst choosing them? Hmm... I think honestly it's just a case of which one I feel like using at the time haha. In Gen II I'll always choose Cyndaquil because Chikorita reminds me of something a friend should use rather than myself and the Totodile line is my least favourite in the game, but otherwise I'll usually just pick something random as long as I didn't use it the time before. I'll often end up picking the cuter ones and basing the whole decision on which will end up cutest as strength is never a huge issue for me with in-game teams and all the starters end up decent anyway (lol Meganium), so really it's just a case of whatever I feel like at the time haha.

Welcome to the club, cutie! I've noticed that a lot of people ditch their starters early, but I just can't bring myself to do so. I love using mine through the entire game because it is usually my strongest teammate and I just become too attached to it do box it and forget about it. I guess though it does make sense if none of the starters are appealing or if there are better Pokemon available early on of the same type.

I agree about the Sinnoh starters! They are absolutely adorable to me as well, but that only applies to their base form. I am not a fan at all of their final evolutions because none are visually appealing to me. They are wonderful in terms of stats and typings, but that is about it. In the end this is my least favorite group of final evolution starters outside of Unova.
Old September 10th, 2013 (09:48 PM).
the pretender
Team Sinnoh

Absolutely nothing. I'd close my eyes and play a game of roulette! I don't honestly know how I choose my starter Pokemon. Cuteness plays a big factor though. I don't like final evolutions that look awkward, out of place or intimidating. I don't like choosing Feraligatr for this reason. I also consider typing since there may be other essential types like fire and grass, that have already found a spot on my team. In that case, I then go for the water starter or ditch it early on and find a better one. There's a lot of things that come when choosing a starter but generally I'm not too fussed. :D
Old September 11th, 2013 (12:28 PM).
HAPPY SAINT PATTIES DAY
Team Kalos

Would this be a good topic Jelli?

If pokemon was real who would be your starter?

(P.S. You can wait to start this topic. But I think it would be a cool idea. And could you make a picture gallery fr the starters)
Old September 11th, 2013 (12:36 PM).
Team Johto
ModeratorBSCSEO

Quote originally posted by Daughter of Dawn:
Would this be a good topic Jelli?

If pokemon was real who would be your starter?

(P.S. You can wait to start this topic. But I think it would be a cool idea. And could you make a picture gallery fr the starters)

Not that you picked a bad topic, but I was thinking that the new topic could be about the newly revealed evos for the X&Y starters. Also, there are sprites of the starter Pokemon in the OP.

Anyways, new topic!

What are your thoughts on the newly revealed evolutions for the X&Y starters?
Old September 11th, 2013 (12:43 PM). Edited September 11th, 2013 by Paige Berlitz.
HAPPY SAINT PATTIES DAY
Team Kalos

The evolutions were not at all what I thought that they would look like. Fennekin looks more like a Fighting type then a psychic type now. And chespin just looks plain.(No offense do not like this design). And so far Froakie's evolution actually kinda stayed the same. I mean if Fennekin becomes fire/Fighting I will be really disappointed in Game Freak.

Edit:

Could I have another starter.(10th post)

If i can I want Piplup.
Old September 11th, 2013 (09:51 PM).
the pretender
Team Sinnoh

WHAT DID THEY DO TO CHESPIN BRING THE CUTE ONE BACK >:[

It kinda looks like Pignite and Swadloon combined. I thought Chespin was absolutely adorable but upon seeing this, I'm slightly disappointed. Here's hoping that its final evolution is better. I mean its kinda cute but not what I was looking for. Standing up fox? I can hear the crowd calling fire/fighting which I honestly hope isn't the case. It looks similar to Fennekin and I think its okay. Surprisingly my least favourite got the best evolution of the bunch. I really appreciate Froakie's second evolution so I hope it gets a good final one as well. Right now I have mixed feelings on the new second evolutions, but then again that stage of starters, have never been my favourite. They've always looked strange to me. Overall 7/10 on what Gamefreak did with this cute bunch.
Old September 12th, 2013 (12:06 AM).
Keep smiling yo~
Team Unova
Crystal Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
Username(nickname): Wind Heart
Partner(choose a starter from the list): Chimchar
Answer to current topic:

I think between all of these evolutions, I favor Fennekin's evolution more than anything else, because the design is nice, being the standing fox and all. I like Froakie's evo as well, and Chespin's evo kinda reminds me of Pignite's for some reason.
Old September 12th, 2013 (12:34 AM). Edited September 12th, 2013 by «Chuckles».
I'm a self aware man, I'm also borderline narcissistic
Team Johto

Nature: Brave
Username: ChucklesLucifer
Code:
[*user]chuckleslucifer [/*user]
Partner:
Answer to current topic: I hate fennekins evolution so much

"I make stupid shirts and people like it so, I am grateful." ~Tyler, The Creator
Old September 12th, 2013 (01:15 AM).
& having to receive it
Team Hoenn

Username: Perdition Haze
Partner: Squirtle

I'm a big fan of Fennekin's evolution. It looks amazing to me. I'm expecting it to be used mostly as a physical-attacking Pokémon, and its type could be a combination of fire and dark. It has a great chance at turning out to be a fire/psychic Pokémon, too, since rumor has it that it's able to learn a few psychic-type moves before it fully evolves. Froakie's evolution doesn't look too bad, but it reminds me a lot about Toxicroak. I think its type could be water and rock. As for Chespin's evolution... I have to agree with Narnia on this one. xD It does look like a combination of Pignite and Swadloon. I'm guessing it'll have the energy to endure hundreds of hits, since it looks very bulky to me. Very, very bulky. Grass and ground would be an awesome combination for this little fellow.

Sponsored Links