The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Cadance
& Shining Armour

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Cadance
There's no "boundary" for me in Pokemon. I'm almost 23 and I don't care if people say I'm too old to play Pokemon. They don't understand how much of an emotional bond I have with the franchise, and the fandom in general. I have a 5 year old niece who is liking Pokemon and it's all because of me, I want my future nieces and if all possible my future children to play Pokemon like I've done so. Hah, I even imagine myself at 45 years old still playing Pokemon and not giving a dayum. :D

DARRELL WALLACE JR.
mudsummer classic 2014 winner | eldora speedway, ohio | july 23, 2014
moderator of fan clubs & groups | battle server moderator

[22:39] ★srinator: ur sig would become so much more better with my name on it
Shining Armour
leave of absence ~ july 26 to aug 3
Old September 18th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by synerjee View Post
There is no such thing as 'too old' for Pokemon, period. I foresee myself still a fan of Pokemon till the end of my days. Imagine an elderly woman sitting in a rocking chair by the window or resting in bed with a DS in her hands. Yeah, that's probably gonna be me.
You should have 10DS by that time :D
Old September 19th, 2013, 02:01 AM
Endless
& heading that way

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Endless
I'm not too sure about other people, but for me, I could play Pokémon as long as I am alive. I would never be too old for it. I've been a fan of Pokémon since I was only five, and still am one. Hopefully, nothing will ever be able to change that. Some kids may poke fun at you for being a Pokémon fan, but they do it only because of their immaturity. And it wouldn't be a wise choice to let things like this change your perspectives on Pokémon, or anything else that you enjoy.

Last edited by Endless; September 19th, 2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old September 19th, 2013, 02:24 AM
Hoenn
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
I don't really see any kind of "too old" coming for me considering I'm not as old as many members in this forum. I suppose I'd be into Pokémon like, forever. I do hope tomorrow doesn't change my mind, that would suck.

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old September 19th, 2013, 03:07 AM
ilias_
I completed the Pokédex!

That "you're too old to play Pokemon" is so cliché. Gosh. I am almost 19 and I don't think I will ever stop.

Friend Safari:
Type: Fire.
Pokémon: Slugma, Magmar & Braixen.
Old September 19th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Imperator161

I recall other people first complaining about Pokémon being "uncool" around fourth grade or so. That may have been related more to the fact that we were starting to move past the peak of the Pokémon craze, though, rather than that we were "too old" for Pokémon.

When I was younger, I used to think that I would eventually outgrow Pokémon. Over the years, though, I've realized that I probably won't outgrow it after all, and that there's nothing wrong with continuing to enjoy the franchise for years to come. If I enjoy playing the games in my spare time, and doing so doesn't harm others or myself, why shouldn't I play them?

It's also important to remember that Pokémon can be enjoyed on different levels. Stumbling through Red with just my Blastoise and its almost entirely water moveset (I think it had something like Hydro Pump, Surf, Water Gun, and Bite) provided a very different experience than carefully breeding and EV training teams does now.

Interestingly, I've found a lot more Pokémon fans in college than I ever found in middle and high school. Even if the general attitude is "Pokémon is for kids," there are probably a lot more closet adult Pokémon players than you would expect.
Old September 19th, 2013, 07:14 AM
vipul619

You're never to old for something you love!
I've graduated and am nearly 23!
And I still am hooked!
Old September 19th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Patrick
Winter Love
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
People still say that? I thought everyone quit that back in like 2006 or so. It must be a high school thing, because I never hear college age or older young adults say stuff like that. In fact, it's just a part of casual conversation sometimes.

I'd find it stranger still if the younger generation (lol) still teased about stuff like this. It's like, aren't cartoons and video games more accepted among aging youth these days then they were back in, say the 80's? This isn't exactly the period where people want to grow up to become steel workers.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old September 19th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Eпvy
Winds ღ

Nature: Lonely
I don't think it ever gets "too old". In fact, it's kind of funny, but people in college appreciate it more than those in middle school.

Back when I was in school, Pokemon had it's huge popularity rush back when I was in fifth grade. Then in sixth grade all of the sudden it became uncool and people got made fun of for it. After that, nobody really mentioned it. In college, people talked about it again, and I even remember a kid playing Pokemon in one of my classes. lol
Old September 19th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Warrior Of The Abyss

Nature: Quiet
You're too old for it when you start thinking you're too old for it. At least that's how I see it.
Old September 19th, 2013, 09:38 AM
RinYoga

Nature: Jolly
You really shouldn't feel bad for liking something. I wasn't really mocked about liking something and people calling it childish.

But don't worry middle school is almost always awful. Kids are just awful at around that age and try to mock other( or just bully them) for fame/social status which will fade away in High school and more so in life.

But in the end remember: Do what you do, like what you like. No one can and should make you feel left out/bad because you like something then don't or find wierd.

| deviantart | osu! |
MAL |
Old September 19th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Mia Mew
✧・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚

Nature: Gentle
It kinda went in a cycle for me. When I was about 12/13, people started making fun of me and the other Pokemon players, but when I reached my current age of 16, they stopped caring! Don't worry, Youngster Timmy. You're just at a bad age right now and hopefully the people around you should start to straighten up and stop being a-holes. <3
Old September 19th, 2013, 10:56 PM
New Eden
(✿◠‿◠)
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
The only time I was ever deemed too old oddly enough was in 3rd-4th grade largely because Yu-Gi-Oh! was at its prime back then...where it subsequently died a year and a half later. On the larger scale of things for me it's more like...

?-11: "HOLY CRAP POKEMON!"
12-16: "Wait, so you still play Pokemon? What?"
17-now: "HOLY CRAP POKEMON!"
Old September 19th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Calamitastrophe
Calam-whatever

Nature: Lax
Honestly, the older you get, the more acceptable it is to like Pokemon, in my opinion.

Because with older people, it's not "for babies", but a "bro that's my childhood" kind of thing.
Old September 19th, 2013, 11:38 PM
markosharko98
The name is enough..

Nature: Gentle
Pokemon is like a drug to me that no one will stop me from taking again and again even if i
die.
Old September 20th, 2013, 03:45 AM
Jay0173
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Jay0173
Too old? I don't think such a thing exists. And this from someone much older than 20! You play what you enjoy. Heck, my two other hobbies are raising and breeding tropical livebearer fish and N scale model railroading, and I even get grief for that! Doesn't bother me though. The only person's opinion that matters is your own. And if you like it and enjoy it, why stop?

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Dark-Type Safari with: Sneasel, Vullaby & Liepard
Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old September 20th, 2013, 04:36 AM
yungdialysis
shoutout to britney spears

lucky in my school even the popular kid randomly starts talking about pokemon

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
[/sig-reason]
Old September 20th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Nauje
Hmm.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I'm lucky enough to have a few of my friends who are actually still interested in Pokemon and everyone who I hang out with are cool with me being a geek that I am. And really, you're never too old for something like Pokemon. Interests are interests, there's no time limit to them. Hell if you like Teletubbies and your thirty then why should you care what everyone else thinks? This "too old" thing is only there because people are afraid of what others might think of them. Just be yourself.

That Teletubbies thing is a hyperbole btw. Unless you are thirty and like Teletubbies. I've nothing against that.
Old September 20th, 2013, 06:52 AM
classiccartoonsftw
Nintendo is for awesome people

For me, there's no such thing as "too old for Pokemon".

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=304577

Be sure to check the last page!

Credit for this sig goes to Ash`, credit for my avatar goes to The Epic Pikachu from Tumblr
Old September 20th, 2013, 08:38 AM
C4
Explosive

Nature: Relaxed
That social stigma came to me from like grade 4 to grade 7. But now people seem to respect me more when I play Pokemon in public, I don't understand why.
Old September 20th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Patrick
Winter Love
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
One more thing, and everyone's mileage may vary, but the way I see it, you can be a fan of something as long as you like, but the only thing I'd suggest is dialing it back as you get older, that's about it.

But see, if people can love Star Wars/Trek or baseball for the rest of their lives -- or if you want to compare it more to cartoons (being "kids stuff" and all), Scooby Doo, Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry* -- I don't see why you can't enjoy Pokémon until you're too old to see.

If it lasts that long.

*Despite the fact that Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry weren't produced for kids to begin with.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old September 20th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Minato Arisato
Memento mori...

Nature: Quiet
What? Too old for Pokemon? There is no such thing!
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Azure Rathalδs
the power within
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Really pokémon for me will always be a series of the same kind of Mario; a game series for a family to enjoy. While the titles are vigorously marketed at the 8-12 age bracket, the RPG system in the titles is easy enough for anyone to use due to it's Rock-Paper-Scissors mechanics.

You never get too old for it.
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Warship
異議あり!

Nature: Jolly
ugh dont even make me start on it we played it all together when we were in elementary school but everyone "grew out of it" when they began middle school and i was made fun because of that. i still managed to find a few friends who did and we played with them. now im in high school and no one cares what i do and sometimes they even join me playing and ask me about x and y news so dont worry it'll be probably be okay
Old September 20th, 2013, 05:40 PM
AuroraBeam
let it go~
Community Supporter

For me it went in and out of the cool phase. Elementary, cool. Middle school, uncool. High school, yeah Pokemon is freaking awesome!! I never stopped liking it and don't let anyone's opinions keep you from doing the same!! I'm 21 in a week and still playing. I don't think I'll ever feel too old, maybe I will eventually get bored, who knows, but it probably won't be because of my age. :]

~*~*~

~*~*~

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links