Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General
Reload this Page How old is "too old"?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Old September 26th, 2013 (01:00 PM).
Raven

Nature: Lonely
I still liked pokemon back when i was 15/16 in 9th grade, first movie came out and i saw that in theaters and was a solid fan up into the Orange Islands, and japanese 3rd series.. however soon into the English Jhoto 3rd series, my interest in pokemon faded. I think watching all the japanese episodes months ahead of time ruined it as alot of those episodes weren't worth a second watch, especially not when the English dub cut things out or changed words around.

As of Feb 20th: 1500 Wins/264 losses, 85% Win Rate.
As of Feb 25th (2nd Playthrough): 150 Wins/0 losses, Undefeated, Challengers Beware!
Old September 29th, 2013 (06:35 PM).

apparently youre not supposed to like pokemon in ninth grade and people will make fun og you if you do. i only let my closest friends know i like it. but this year im actually finding out that alot more people play pokemon than i thought. and it really makes me happy that people still like it in ninth grade. like even one of the basketball players like to play it still. it warms my heart.

Completed National Pokedex in Pokemon X on 8-5-2014
3ds FC: 3308-4678-2953 Trades and Battles anyone?
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/leavsidchiptric13
Blogger Account: https://www.blogger.com/home
Old September 29th, 2013 (06:53 PM).
Arlyn Aquos
Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Water Gym Leader
Go to college. I'm in the Video Game Club and I have a group of friends who just play Pokemon. That's like all we do. We trade, battle, and just compete with each other. I'm the youngest in the group being almost 19 and the oldest in the group being 26. Screw age, the games are rated E for EVERYONE.

I am made fun of liking the game by my girlfriend and family but I don't care.

3DS FC: 0903-4056-8403
3DS XL FC: 0404-6887-6558
~~DIVING DEEP~~ (A Water Pokemon Fan Club)
Old September 30th, 2013 (06:16 AM).

IMO, you're never too old for Pokémon. I'm 44, and have been playing since 1st gen. My Black2 has a full pokedex, including many shinies, I have an XD gamecube, a Pikachu N64, the yellow Pikachu Gameboy color, and last week I finally broke down and bought a WiiU and downloaded Pokémon RumbleU.

so yeah, never too old for Pokemon
Old September 30th, 2013 (06:26 AM).

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Triforce
I think from the support you've been getting from some of the older members on this forum, it's safe to say that people of all ages enjoy the game. I've enjoyed the game from when I was a kid myself so I've grown up with it from when it first started out.

I started the series all the way from red and blue and I think I'd be quite happy to talk about it with my friends now that I'm 22. In fact, I have a Dutch friend who is getting X & Y on release with me and he's 20. We're not ashamed at all.

So enjoy whatever you like doing. People at school might laugh but I reckon a lot of them will still play the game.

~Triforce~

3DS Code: 2766 9107 9652
Old September 30th, 2013 (02:27 PM).
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by dscottobrien1:
IMO, you're never too old for Pokémon. I'm 44, and have been playing since 1st gen. My Black2 has a full pokedex, including many shinies, I have an XD gamecube, a Pikachu N64, the yellow Pikachu Gameboy color, and last week I finally broke down and bought a WiiU and downloaded Pokémon RumbleU.

And I thought I was the oldest pokemon player around here but there is no age limit ppl differ and if you like it you like it, that's your choice I have been into pokemon for years and don't see myself stopping any time soon, and as to quote some one on the first page, we can sit in our rocking chairs together if you like with our shawls on! :luagh:
My Thread Review ---> HERE
Old September 30th, 2013 (04:15 PM).
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotah
Quote originally posted by dscottobrien1:

Congrats from a 40 year old. Here's to many, many more years of enjoying the Pokemon games.

Dark-Type Safari

Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old September 30th, 2013 (04:22 PM).
2363-5961-4897 (3DS)

Nature: Jolly
In fifth grade, people started to dislike Pokemon, especially when I started shiny hunting, because they thought I was boring and ruined everything. lol. They also got action replays and stuff so it was no fun for me either. That didn't mean it was bad, though.

From sixth to eighth, everyone made fun of me for playing, even though these were specifically the three years I did NOT play often. I was never a big fan of Generation V, mainly due to the lack of old Pokemon. My friends who were still interested made fun of me, too, and when I helped them in the games, which was very common since I knew a lot more than them about the games that I didn't play, they'd just laugh in my face and not help me with anything.

I'm in ninth grade now, and even though the first month of school just ended, I can tell there will be less people nagging me about it. I've started to play more to prepare for X and Y, which I think will be a great generation. I see some older kids in a few of my classes that have their GBA's playing Pokemon RBY, and I also heard somewhere that there is a Pokemon Club in my school. My mom probably won't let me join, but it'd be fun if I could!

So yeah. I think it depends on the people you're with, but if you like it, don't let others stop you!
Old September 30th, 2013 (04:39 PM).
Sincerity

Nature: Bold
My school friends and I battle and we're in high school
Old September 30th, 2013 (05:24 PM).

Well, if you stick to going on Pokemon forums you'll never feel too old because you'll be part of, "societies," where it's considered normal to be 30+ and still play the game.
Old September 30th, 2013 (06:00 PM).
Geek in the Pink

Nature: Sassy
I will play Pokémon 'til death do us apart.

Old September 30th, 2013 (06:03 PM).
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Quote originally posted by Lazer:
I will play Pokémon 'til death do us apart.
When my son stuck me with his SP and I played it for a couple of hours with pokemon crystal in it I said the exact same thing.
Old October 2nd, 2013 (06:32 AM).

Nature: Serious
I'm 22 years old, I don't talk about Pokémon to my friends. I would be really embarrassed if they would laugh at me.
Old October 2nd, 2013 (06:39 AM).
PPPPPDPPPPP

Nature: Timid
I don't really care how old I would be and will keep on playing Pokemon. I'm a post-grad student and I play Pokemon right in front of my mates. They don't really laugh at me. but they would show little signs of interest when I play.
Old October 2nd, 2013 (08:23 AM).
I was born for this x
CS

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by POKEMONMASTER260:
Well, if you stick to going on Pokemon forums you'll never feel too old because you'll be part of, "societies," where it's considered normal to be 30+ and still play the game.
At least 20+ these days. 30+ are still a bit uncommon here. But soon, there's a chance that a large part of the forum will be what can't be referred to as anything other than "grown-ups"! :)

moderator:
x Roleplay Theatre

roleplays:
x Crossroads
x Digimon
x Titans
Old October 6th, 2013 (02:01 AM).

Nature: Naive
I dunno, hasn't happened to me yet.
Old October 6th, 2013 (12:13 PM).

You are never too old for Pokemon. Like seriously, from my experiences half the people that say Pokemon is stupid have never actually played a Pokemon game.

I enjoy the popular games of today a lot, like Skyrim and Battlefield, but for me Pokemon is the best. I see it as an escape from the big bad serious world, and what could be wrong with that?
Old October 10th, 2013 (02:30 PM).

Nature: Mild
Send a message via Skype™ to Thurea
Dead?

No one is too old for Pokémon.
Old October 10th, 2013 (07:55 PM).
Laughing Hyena

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to Kiara
There was a point where kids tried to make fun of me for liking Pokemon but I didn't care too much. I didn't openly talk about it for a while because I didn't want to deal with it. But when I was in 7th-8th grade, I met some of my current best friends and found out they still loved Pokemon too. Cue not ever caring again.

Seeking onexone or separate forum roleplays.
Old October 10th, 2013 (07:58 PM).
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Well just to chime in again, you are never to old for what you like / love you can always be a khild at heart no matter how old you are!
Old October 11th, 2013 (02:30 PM).
I Am No One Else

Nature: Calm
I'll let you know ..... after I complete a few more pokedex.

Join me on IRC, synirc.net #PokemonTactics, for friendly discussions on tactics and strategies.
Old October 12th, 2013 (01:46 AM).
I'm on Youtube!

Nature: Jolly
I was about 12 or 13 when I first started watching Japan's Pokemon... It didn't hit the US until about 1-2 years after so I was that weird kid playing some weird Japanese game... Little did my friends know, haha. Then I was about 15 and I was at that age when people thought playing Pokemon was childish... Now, that I'm an adult, it's okay (or at least more accepted) to play Pokemon again, even as a young adult/adult. The key thing to remember here is that you shouldn't let others make judgments for you. Do what you want to do, you're not hurting anyone by playing Pokemon. ;3
Old October 12th, 2013 (03:02 PM).
King of Stronk Style

I went to the Pokémon World Championships in Vancouver a few months ago, and I saw a woman that looked to be in her 60's, playing the TCG against (what I'm assuming was) her grandson.

You're never too old.
Old October 14th, 2013 (03:08 AM).

I think it happened some time around middle school. In 5th grade kids would swarm around other kids who were bringing pokedexes on the bus during class field trips to get a look at that sweet official pokemon merch, and that sort of stuff just stopped in sixth grade. Luckily I had two separate groups of friends in Middle School who also enjoyed Pokemon, so it wasn't much of a problem. Maybe it has something to do with the kids at middle schools desperately trying to seem as old and 'cool' as high schoolers are supposed to be.

In the middle of eighth grade my new pokewalker fell out of my pants leg and the kid next to me just stared at me as if a rat had fallen out of my pants.
Old October 18th, 2013 (06:41 AM).
Prepare for trouble!

Nature: Gentle
I still play the games (so does my fiance) and I'm 21, a junior in college and a receptionist at an office.

Pokemon is still cool in college. I had my game out the other day and people around me were freaking out about how cool it looked compared to the old games. Plus, my professor referenced Pokemon the other day. Go UGA!

Sponsored Links