Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General
Reload this Page How old is "too old"?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Old October 18th, 2013 (06:48 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
You can play Pokemon at any age. You are young, Youngster Timmy, so you will hear the "baby" comment through around quite frequently. However, after a while, that is when you get older and sequentially as your peers do, the comment will be tossed aside--forgotten.
Old October 18th, 2013 (07:51 AM).
I'm so spooky

Quote originally posted by Youngster Timmy:
There's always that age/grade when pokemon is "for babies" When did it happen for you? For me, it happened in sixth grade, the grade I'm in now. I started talking about mega evolution, and the laughed so hard they were crying.
Wow... Meanwhile people at my college are discussing the starters they picked.

I think you're only too old for Pokémon if you feel like you're too old and genuinely don't want to play anymore. That's fine. I don't think I'm too old so I shall continue.
Old October 18th, 2013 (08:03 AM).

Quote originally posted by Purple-Hued Vulture:
Wow... Meanwhile people at my college are discussing the starters they picked.

I think you're only too old for Pokémon if you feel like you're too old and genuinely don't want to play anymore. That's fine. I don't think I'm too old so I shall continue.
This. At least three people down every hallway have their 3DS out and they are playing Pokemon. There are even specific areas where people are sitting around on couches and battling, trading, talking Pokemon.
Old October 18th, 2013 (11:16 AM).

Nature: Timid
As others have said, you are never too old for Pokemon if it's what you love/like.

Me and myself, I actually dropped watching Pokemon because people made fun of me for watching it. But now I'm in university and re-watching it because it's fun!
Old October 18th, 2013 (12:05 PM).
Ely.

Nature: Careful
I got the dry spell during middle school as well. There seems to be some uncool tendency attached to Pokemon during those years. Anyway I graduated high school some years ago and I don't see a reason why I should stop playing in the foreseeable future. Fret not!
Old October 18th, 2013 (03:33 PM).

There's no such thing as too old. I've never defined myself by what others thought, and people respect that. Moreover, the notion that Pokémon is just for little kids is absurd -- I can't tell you how many people I know in their late 20s who are loving the heck out of X/Y.

Old October 19th, 2013 (06:37 AM).
DarkTrainer

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by synerjee:
There is no such thing as 'too old' for Pokemon, period. I foresee myself still a fan of Pokemon till the end of my days. Imagine an elderly woman sitting in a rocking chair by the window or resting in bed with a DS in her hands. Yeah, that's probably gonna be me.
Gramps plays Pokemon. He got me into it. Never too old, never too young.
Old October 20th, 2013 (11:59 AM).

Nature: Naughty
Hmm. I stopped showing off my pokemon to friends back in 6th grade. Of course now that I'm older, quite a few people in my age group (including myself) meet up to talk about it. I think there's a period in our lives (like, starting around 12 or 13) when it just don't seem "cool" anymore (even though we play it in secret), and then once we hit an older age where we just don't care as much, we go back to playing it without shame.

I personally don't think you can be "too old" for Pokemon. While the demographic is largely young kids (especially for the anime), I can see adults enjoying it as well. I mean hey, back when I got Yellow as a birthday present my mother got hooked on it.
Old October 27th, 2013 (04:41 PM).
Gentleman Thug

Nature: Quirky
Dead.

Dead is definitely too old.

On the other hand, I'm 26 and still play occasionally.
Old October 27th, 2013 (05:17 PM).
Artist

Nature: Modest
Lol. Yeah, I hate my middle school 'cause no one likes pokemon. Screw them, I will always stick to my games. Everyone's got GTA 5. Psh, please. I've got Pokemon X.

I'll be an old gramps showin' my grand-kids how to play Pokemon Emerald.

Good day.
Old October 27th, 2013 (06:21 PM).

I am 29, less than 2 months from being 30.

I play Pokemon still, and never was told that I was ever 'too old' to be playing it. But that could also just be because I'm often towering over other people. XD
PSN: GRX3000
Old October 30th, 2013 (05:03 PM).
KANTO Champion

Quote originally posted by Bobith:
Fear not! Come highschool all the cool kids shall play pokemon!
maybe for you, for me it was 7th grade, me and some friends brought a DS to school and were battling on Diamond and Pearl, and a small group were making fun of us. Although Pokemon is a game and theres no such thing as "too old" for games, but as you get older responsibilities cloud your time and you begin to drift away from games pokemon included.
Old October 30th, 2013 (05:15 PM).
Pokémon Breeder

When I was in 9th grade people used to get all bent out of shape and ask how I could still play Pokémon. I would normally respond buy pulling out my SP and saying "Like this."

Soon after, people had more important things to worry about and I was free to play Pokémon without anyone bothering me about (besides the occasional teacher). I had a time when I thought I should stop playing because it was uncool, but my friend (who also played Pokémon at the time) said that if I am doing something I like and not hurting anyone, people shouldn't give a damn about me doing it. His wisdom saved me from making an awful mistake by stopping doing something I love just because other people thought I looked like a baby.

~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~
3DS Friend Code: 4399-0158-9260
(Note: Please PM me if you add me so I know it's a PC member and not a random)
Friend Safari: Ghost Type: Phantump, Lampent, and Golurk
Old October 30th, 2013 (09:24 PM).

Nature: Bold
A couple years after Sapphire/Ruby were released, I remember kids at my school were starting to say Pokemon was stupid , then LG and FR came out and suddenly it was cool again. I was in 4thish grade at the time. Honestly, I was homeschooled half my life and the few friends I had didn't care that I played Pokemon. I've gotten a few people laughing at me when I say I still watch the anime, that's about it. But I've never been outright teased for liking Pokemon.
Old October 31st, 2013 (02:01 PM).
Newbie Breeder
Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
Pokemon in middle school was ok but not big, but when i entered highschool( now 22) Pokemon was still big. I went to a lucky highschool where anime,gaming,pokemon etc was accepted. I remember having tables at lunch for Magic,Pokemon, And what not. But seems these last 2 gens its become more big.

Also going to pick up my Pokemon game at local gamestop alot of people were at least 16+ even in their 30s playing it.

3926-4901-1770
grass safari Sunkern/Ivysaur/Quilladin
Old November 1st, 2013 (05:57 AM).
New to 6th Gen

Nature: Timid
im 22 going 23 and still hooked on pokemon... god, please let the other young adults and teen wannabe adults to know how much fun pokemon can be.
I will be readding those people I've added in the past... My friend code changed and I don't know why.. Some of my applications are gone in my 3DS too so.. I dunno what happened.. Someone may have messed with my 3DS

Clubs: Pokemon Breeders Fan Club | The Pokemon Trainer Association
Old November 1st, 2013 (05:59 PM).

People started saying it was for babies in like...5th-6th grade for me. I'm in 8th grade and still playing though, and a few of my friends are into it to some extent.

Pokémon Pearl (Ultimate Leader Challenge - Jasmine)
2/8 Badges
Old November 27th, 2013 (11:24 AM).
Be a role model
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to acatfrommars
I really don't think that it is ever too old. Kids at my high school play pokemon all the time whether it be on their DS or phone. It's just a game, I don't think that it will ever be too old.

Sisters | Brother | Pairs
Old November 27th, 2013 (11:32 AM).
✩ magical girl goddess ✩
Crystal Tier

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to CrazyBunnyCoaster
I'll be playing pokemon in my 90's, just you wait and see. XD That is if I'm not dead by then. I don't really care how old I am. Pokemon has been with my long before my early teens. It's a part of my life that I will keep forever.

I don't care what I become. All the magical girls who believed in hope and fought witches...I don't want them to suffer or cry anymore. I want them to be at peace.

contact me outside of PC:

twitter | tumblr
Old November 27th, 2013 (11:59 AM).

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Loki of Sassgard:
I'll be playing pokemon in my 90's, just you wait and see. XD That is if I'm not dead by then. I don't really care how old I am. Pokemon has been with my long before my early teens. It's a part of my life that I will keep forever.
This, I've been playing since Red and Blue came out when I was in second grade, and I plan on playing until either I die, or the franchise fades away...even then I'd likely still play the older games.

There will always be those that will tell you it's for kids when you grow up, there will be those that will never stop playing. There will even be people who stop playing it, say in high school because they feel like they're too old, but suddenly in college they're into it like they never lost interest. Stick without until you no longer enjoy it, who cares what anyone else thinks of you for playing?

3Ds Friend code: 1778-9934-1564. Let me know and I'll add you back.
Grass Safari: Oddish, Sawsbuck and Gogoat.
Old December 13th, 2013 (03:48 AM).

I wouldn't say 'too old' but when I was in the Army I heard the A-Button sounds and thought, "Pokemon? Seriously?"

Then there was one time in secondary school (think when I was 15 or 16) when I joined in the laughing at other people who were playing the TCG. Man, my interests sure did change.
Old December 13th, 2013 (04:23 AM).

Nature: Mild
I feel like the reason Pokemon is laughed at in the middle school years, is because either you're young and don't understand Pokemon that well and you're just messing around (applies more to the TCG but ya know), or you're older and you're very knowledgeable about it. As kids go into puberty they feel the need to discriminate.
Old December 13th, 2013 (04:29 AM).

In hindsight, now that I think about the TCG incident, that was pretty hypocritical of all of us - we were circulating bootleg anime DVDs at the same time.
Old December 13th, 2013 (09:40 AM).
ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
Quote originally posted by PumpJack:
Dead.

Dead is definitely too old.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this, but even so, I'd probably still play it in the afterlife. No one could stop me.

(x) Tumblr
(y) Twitter
Previously Eeveon
Old December 15th, 2013 (06:36 PM).
Shocking....Isn't It?

I'm 24, married, and have a baby on the way. I'm still hooked on the games, especially SoulSilver. My wife loves it, I will teach my child to love it. I don't think I'll ever be to old.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)