The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 25th, 2014, 04:20 PM
doglover44

Nature: Gentle
On 24 and I stil enjoy the games and show
Old January 25th, 2014, 06:18 PM
★Symbiosis★
★Shall Mote It Be★
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I am going on 20 years old. I have been playing pokemon since 1999. I will admit that in late middle school/early high school I took a short hiatus not only because of being picked on due to bringing my GBA SP/ Nintendo DS Lite to School to trade and battle a friend at lunch time daily but also due to myself thinking it became too cool and I was too old but I later abandoned that idea and around age 16 returned to the pokemon world. You are never too old for anything! As long as it makes you happy why should you quit it?
Old January 25th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Smeargle
Keep it Artsy :)

Send a message via Skype™ to Smeargle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ★Symbiosis★ View Post
I am going on 20 years old. I have been playing pokemon since 1999. I will admit that in late middle school/early high school I took a short hiatus not only because of being picked on due to bringing my GBA SP/ Nintendo DS Lite to School to trade and battle a friend at lunch time daily but also due to myself thinking it became too cool and I was too old but I later abandoned that idea and around age 16 returned to the pokemon world. You are never too old for anything! As long as it makes you happy why should you quit it?
Oh, simply yet Beautifully said! I agree 110% who is to tell you your too old for something, If something makes you happy you shouldn't leave it behind because of what others might think. Its your life, don't let others tell you how to be you. Enjoy what you LOVE doing!

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do."

- Eleanor Roosevelt
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:45 PM
myuchuruchuru
Super High School Level Whoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster Timmy View Post
There's always that age/grade when pokemon is "for babies" When did it happen for you? For me, it happened in sixth grade, the grade I'm in now. I started talking about mega evolution, and the laughed so hard they were crying.
Actually, for me there is no 'too old'. I am in sixth grade //like you// and I liked pokemon ever since I'm 8. I was also constantly mocked for being a pokemon fan. In my situation, it was the time when I said about region-blah-blah-you-can-catch-somewhere-blah and then some of my classmates laughed and cussed me. It happened while I'm in fourth grade. Even so, I'm still a fan. DON'T BE SCARED FRIEND! FOR THERE IS NO TOO OLD FOR POKEMON GAMES!

//notes= don't let society change you//
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Calamity
Just for the love of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ★Symbiosis★ View Post
as long as it makes you happy why should you quit it?
This. I've just turned 18 and still think the games are awesome. Admittedly I am a semi-closet fan and have to limit my Pokemon knowledge when the topic comes up with friends to avoid isolating myself but yeah, there's no way age is going to stop me playing now, the games make me happy, they were a huuuuge part of my childhood and can serve as an escape from the boring normal world.

Don't conform to society people, there's too many sheep in the world as it is.
Happens
Old February 13th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Aello
Pokemon Breeder

Nature: Serious
You're never "too old". I'm 23, and I not only play Pokemon but still enjoy Disney movies and other "kid stuff". I go to theatres to see movies like Megamind and 9 and I don't even have a kid yet!

There are many adults who still play Pokemon. Besides, look at all the complex math involved. There's definitely a layer to the game that allows for a more mature audience to keep enjoying it through the years.
Old February 16th, 2014, 12:11 AM
Playflame

I have to admit that i'm 22 and i still play pokemon and sometimes watch the old anime of it as well.

Also my cousin is 21 and loves pokemon himself, But i have seen older. I've actually got a friend of mine thats in her early 30s and still plays and watches pokemon as well.

But if you want to see a lot of pokemon fans, go to an anime con, there are heaps.
Old February 17th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Raine
Community Supporter

You can never be too old for anything. I've known about Pokemon ever since I was young, but never got into the games until recently and I'm 20 Sure, people will probably judge you and question whether your maturity, but you can't help what keeps you happy and entertained.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements · appreciation
Old February 18th, 2014, 07:17 PM
DaLangQuanZ

Nature: Docile
I've been playing since I was a little kid. I'm 21 now and love the games more than anything. I was so excited when I was able to get myself a 3DS for Christmas to continue with the series.

Forget social stigma. This game has a lot of meaningful personal importance for a lot of us.
Old February 18th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Urugamosu
Smiles are free, you know~
Community Supporter

People told me I was too old to play Pokèmon when I was 14. I'm 19 now, look at me now.
In all seriousness, you should like something for as long as you want, it doesn't really matter about how your friends perceive you as being.

Adventures, are sometimes even the simplest things.
ProfileYouTubeRedditPokeCommunityBlog
Old February 19th, 2014, 03:55 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
Ive been playing Pokemon since a little kid and my first version was yellow. The age were i became "too old" for pokemon (according to peers, parents...basically anyone) was probably around 15/16, or 8th grade. At that time everyone my age seemed to suddenly stop having fun playing the games, and there was a time where i distanced myself because i thought it would be embarrassing (yes, peer pressure is a real thing sadly.) Then i relized it was stupid to stop doing something i enjoy, so i went out and got a copy of Pearl. Im 21 now, i loved Pokemon X and i will probably love every gen thats still to come (:

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Big_Poppa1394

20 (: and never had any problems! I think my friends hate me more because I am a jokester (oh wait that wasn't funny lol)
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Saphyre

Send a message via Skype™ to Saphyre
This has been said a lot, but I don't think there is an age limit for Pokemon. I'm 21, and whenever someone (including my mom) asks why I'm playing a "kids' game" I look at her and give her a simple answer: it's rated E for everyone; anyone who enjoys it can play it, no matter their age.

I work at a school, and I let it be known to all the kids that I like and play Pokemon. By doing that, I have built relationships with more of them, and have actually used Pokemon as incentives for academic work. Once, I had a student write me an essay on Pokemon, and when I approved it his parents bought him Y. Another student did a "book report" of sorts on one of the manga volumes, and he got a four dollar figure of Pansage in return.

Again, one of the teachers I work with, asked me why I played Pokemon. I gave them the same "rated E" speech, and added for her, "I just got two students to willing write and read about something they like, and enjoyed those assignments at the same time." (I left my final comment: is my playing Pokemon really a problem? to myself, though.)

There is nothing wrong with still playing Pokemon. In fact, the game room at my university has a pretty good group of people my age and older who play Pokemon. I like playing Pokemon, and I'm proud of it!
Old March 1st, 2014, 05:34 AM
Phoenix7540

you are never too old to play pokemon but from my experience there is a time where people will laugh at you for playing it. I'd say somewhere between the ages of 10 and 16. I got laughed at whenever I played pokemon so I didn't play gen 4 or 5. Now I'm 18 I'm in college and I play pokemon again. I played through white last year and diamond this year and transfered all of my old pokemon from gen 3 to gen 6, now I have my nearly 10 years old gen 3 pokemon on pokemon Y. What do other people think of it? They either don't mind it or they play pokemon themselves.
Old March 14th, 2014, 03:13 PM
AoTora

Nature: Calm
I think that you are not too old for Pokemon until you feel like you don't want to play anymore/you lose interest. I am 19 years old and I still enjoy the games and anime - I've also seen much older players on youtube (even 40 or more) - so I guess that as long as you enjoy it you are not too old

Do what you believe in and believe in what you do. All else is a waste of energy and time ~ Nisargadatta.

Love is the only power that can change an enemy into a friend. ~ Martin Luther King.

I am a fan of Criminal Minds, Crossing Jordan and some other series. I am also Harry Potter fan and Disney fan (I love Frozen!) - I also like other animes beside Pokemon.
Old March 14th, 2014, 03:29 PM
daigonite
Ninjas Against Bottomless Pits
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Once you hit a certain age, nobody really cares anymore, because they have their own life to worry about. I'm at that age. When I was in middle school kids thought I was totally uncool for it but whatever, they went back to playing Crystal when they hit the 12th grade, so whatever.
Old March 14th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Major Gripex

Nature: Hardy
I thought I was "too old for Pokemon" come Generation III. I gave up my trainer hat and my Pokeballs until High School. When Generation IV came around, my older cousin, whom I always considered my Pokemon rival throughout my childhood, convinced me to get Diamond. From then on, I recovered my trainer hat and balls, and never looked back. Now at twenty {redacted}, I gleefully trade and battle with my boyfriend.

Sadly, my cousin has given up his career as a trainer. He felt he outgrew it and has moved on to other things. The sadder part is that I have lost touch with him. I still think back to the good ol' days in which our friendly battles of epicness would fill our afternoons with excitement. If I am somehow able to come in contact with him again, I'm going to be sure to try to convince him to return to the wonderful world of Pokemon! Who knows... maybe he's out there, training his team, until we meet again in the next battle....

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover44 View Post
On {redacted} and I stil enjoy the games and show
Yay! We're the same age. 90's kids power activate!

Though I don't watch the show religiously, I'll watch an occasional episode with my boyfriend every so often. Good times~
Old March 15th, 2014, 05:19 AM
JayGokani

I'm nearly 16 and I play Pokemon. My friends like it, and the people who don't like it don't dislike me, just the games and anime. Be yourself, if you like it, play it!
Old March 15th, 2014, 10:34 PM
HereFishyFishy

Nature: Quiet
At what age are you too old to do what you enjoy? I hope I never reach that age.
Old March 15th, 2014, 10:43 PM
ShyRayq
Unprofessional Unprofessional

Nature: Adamant
"Old age" is subjective. So whenever you feel you are too old and feel that Pokemon isn't for you anymore, then that is when you should stop. For me personally? I expect to trade with my Grandkids in the future, so there's no stopping for me.
Live Pokedex Completed as of 02/03/14
Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X and Elements1

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
Old March 15th, 2014, 11:58 PM
adventure
trust your doctor

Nature: Naive
Well, honestly, I've kind of stopped playing the games. Not actively, at least. But it's not because I have some kind of notion of being too old for them. Not at all! Rather, I just don't feel like playing them. I don't have the necessary consoles also (3DS) because I need to spend my money on other things. So in a way, you might say I'm growing too old by now.

But at the same time, I'm still a moderator on a pokémon forum and I'm RPing and stuff, so I haven't really let go of the franchise and probably never will :3 Just wait until I get children, oh, they'll have so many pokémon toys!

<<CLOUD v2.0>>
Old March 16th, 2014, 12:15 AM
OvereditedGaming

I had quit after Generation 3 for awhile out of boredom, but never because I was too old for it. Lately my interest has been revitalized though and I've been enjoying it quite a bit!
Old March 16th, 2014, 03:02 AM
mangamusicfan
The Lost one.
Community Supporter Tier 5

Your never to old for something you love to do.
If your *friends* say Your to old for that and can't acept you play it, they aren't real friends.
I know plenty of people in the 30-50 That are still enyoing the games (anime).
Nothing wrong with that.

Timeghoul is absolute Awesomnes!
Old March 16th, 2014, 01:38 PM
NiirB

I'm 16 and after some of my school mates saw me playing Pokemon Emerald on my iPod a little group of us formed that is playing pokemon and activly talking about it. This group consist of 6 people. There is 30 people in our class. We are considered children and retards for this. So yeah it would seem that its going to be 16 for me.

I mean before highschool people didn't really mind me since I was a geek and I've had 2 people that I hung out with from my class but they did not seem to mind the pokemon factor and most of the class also didn't so in the end it just depends on the people I guess.
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Lost Lore
From the Shadows

Nature: Sassy
As the saying goes, "you don't stop playing when you grow old, you grow old when you stop playing". It is entirely up to you what you love, no matter what age you are.

As a 20-year-old who is even more into Pokemon now than she used to be (if that's possible) I'd say I won't be giving up on it anytime soon~

Regions cleared in the almighty Dark mono-type: Johto | Hoenn | Sinnoh | Unova
~*~*~

~*~*~
Icon credits.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links