The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General > Pokémon Polls

Notices

Pokémon Polls Express your opinion in straightforward polls and questions about Pokémon that would otherwise fit in Pokémon General if they weren't so, well, straightforward. Vote away!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 6th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Superfox

With all the talk of the Kalos starters, I thought it'd be cool to revisit previous generations and discuss which starter Pokémon are our favorites, and which ones are our least favorites.

I'll start first.

Favorites: Its a tie between Typhlosion and Samurott, with Infernape as a close second favorite
  • Cyndaquil was the first starter I ever chose back in Pokémon Silver. Therefore, its a special one to me. I also like the rest of the Johnto starters, but Typhlosion was a beast. I remember being 9 years old and calling up my best friend at the time to tell him how my Quilava had just evolved into a Typhlosion. Ah, good times.
  • Samurott is also one of my favorites just...because. His design is awesome. I find it so cool that a starter that everyone thought was the ugliest of them all (Oshawott) turned out to have the coolest final form out of all the Unova starters. He's also a very reliable battler. Pretty much a very dependable powerhouse.
  • Infernape. I love the design. That cool flaming Hanuman style. Plus, Chimchar is just...so unique among the starters, in my opinion. I would never have imagined a starter Pokémon based on a chimp or monkey. I would have thought that any sort of primate was too human-like for them, as the starters were traditionally based on animals a little lower on the evolutionary tree like lizards, turtles, chickens, and crocodiles.

Least Favorites: Venusaur and Emboar
  • I know Venusaur gets a lot of love, but its not one of my favorites. Its not bad at all, but its just...okay. I'd much rather have Charizard or Blastoise. I think the real problem I have with Venusaur is that the Bulbasaur evolutionary family shows the least transformation along its evolutionary line of any of the Kanto starters. I mean, Venusaur is really just a bigger, fatter, more intimidating version of Bulbasaur, with a big flower on its back instead of a bulb. Charizard and Blastoise at least show marked change from their original forms, changing in color, size, and even basic body structure.
  • Emboar just looks ridiculous and its not that reliable of a battler. It looks like it should be a powerhouse, but its not. Plus the fact that its the THIRD Fire/Fighting starter doesn't really endear me to it either.

Last edited by Brendino; September 22nd, 2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: updated title
Old September 6th, 2013, 11:16 AM
squirtle124

Nature: Relaxed
my favorites are charmander,squirtle,the jhoto starters and my least faveorites are the 4th and 5th gen ones really. i think mainly for 1st and 2nd gen starters were really good with good evolutionary line and i think they were good in the anime too. tepig and oshowot for me are not that great in terms of looks and in the anime find them annoying.i completly agree with your view on Venasaur although i still find it better than emboar.i think cyndaquil is really good too. i think as the generations have gone on they have gradually got worse in my opinion.as im still not sold on the x and y starters.i have warmed to them and accepted them but froakie and chespin i think are very basic designs,lets draw a frog now add white bubbles round its neck increase the eye size there done and chespin lets just add a green hat on to indicate it is a grass type.
Old September 6th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Azure Rathalδs
the power within
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Anything that isn't Charizard or Gen 5 starter crap is fine by me. My favourite would be the gen 3 starters due to how useful they are in battle.
Old September 6th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Playful_Weasel
I just want to play!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
My favorite starters are a tie between Oshawott (and it's evolutions) and Mudkip (and it's evolutions). It's their design that most captures my attention. Both can learn my favorite attacks, which happen to be water type attacks.

My 2 least favorite are also a tie between Chikorita's evolution and Torchic's evolutions, when I saw them they didn't seem to catch my attention (design wise).
Watchog's #1 Fan!!
PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!
- FC on Trainer Card
Steel Safari: Magneton - Skarmory - Excadrill
Old September 6th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Brendino

Nature: Quiet
I'm going to move this over to Pokemon Voting Polls, since it isn't really a discussion thread so much as looking for people's quick opinions.

My favorite starters would have to be the Sceptile family and the Empoleon family. Pokemon Sapphire was one of the first Pokemon games that I completely invested myself into (even though I'd played previous ones), and Sceptile was such a huge presence in my party. It was one of the few times I actually enjoyed using a Grass type Pokemon, and I still have that Sceptile on my HeartGold. As for Empoleon, I wasn't a big fan of any of the Sinnoh starters, but I hadn't used a Water one in a while, so I decided to pick Piplup. To be honest, I had no idea it would evolve into a part-Steel type, which seemingly made Empoleon indestructable, and the key component to my Platinum team.

As for my least favorites, I'd go with the Johto starters, the Torterra line and the Emboar line. These are more design based than anything, but still enough to make me not want to use them. That's why any time I play a Johto game, I usually ditch my starter as early as I can, even if they're my best Pokemon for a while.

MOVED.
Old September 6th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Nauje
Oooooo...
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Definitely Typhlosion. Cyndaquil was my first ever starter in my first ever Pokemon game (Crystal) and because of that Typhlosion is just like more awesome to me compared to other starters.

Other favourites include Serperior (totally great design) and Sceptile (again great design and found his Leaf Blade totally badass hack in Emerald).

Least favourite starter? I don't have one. I love all of them :p
Old September 6th, 2013, 02:17 PM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

Nature: Adamant
Most Favorite to Least Favorite:

Serperior, Meganium, Venusaur, Samurott, Blazekin, Torterra, Charizard, Infernape, Typhlosion, Feraligtr, Sceptile, Blastoise, Emboar, Empoleon, Swampert,

I only go by aesthetics for favorites.

Retrodex Sprites
|D&D Forum|??? (coming soon)
Old September 6th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Endless
& by looking through

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Endless
Squirtle is my favorite starter Pokémon. It was the first Pokémon that I've ever had, and it looks simply astonishing when it finally evolves into a Blastoise. The canons on its back are amazing, and I love the way how it's able to take them in and out of its shell so quickly. Battling-wise, this Pokémon isn't so bad. It may not be used too often, but it has decent defensive stats and it's a great user of Rapid Spin. If it had a few recovery moves in its arsenal, maybe people would have used it more. Charizard is my favorite as well. I'm a big fan of its design. (:

My least favorite starter Pokémon would have to beeee... Sceptile. xD" It does have good Attack, Special Attack, and Speed stats, and some people are able to utilize this Pokémon quite nicely, but I'm certainly not one of those people.
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
Samurott, Blaziken and Torterra are my three favorite Starter Pokemon according to type. A kicking chicken that can launch fire-type moves is such a cool idea. Torterra's unusual typing (Although not a great typing competitively) inspires me to vote for him. Samurott's general all around excellence, wonderful looks and unpredictability captures my vote.

As for a least favorite I'd be thinking Meganium and Emboar. Meganium looks uninspiring and boring, and really should be a Grass/Dragon for its design. Emboar is a cool name, but the horrible design, and the fact that it's the third consecutive Fire-Fighting starter explains why.
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
My most fave starter line of all time is obviously Oshawott and its evolution line due to that awesome samurai theme they have, and not to mention my fave of the starter types, Water! None of the Water-types have ever disappointed me, maybe Froakie did when it was first revealed but its design grew on me. 6th Gen's starters all look pretty awesome in general so I'm hoping they get awesome evolutions, especially Froakie due to my preference for Water.

Least fave, definitely Charmander's line. The reason? Charizard is soooooo overrated and also didn't like the way he was handled in the anime, especially the disobeying Ash part. The others aren't too bad though, I don't even mind Emboar or Meganium but they didn't live up to my expectations, at least I loved most starter designs.

Paired with Kouzan, Isaac and Heartouch
Battle Server | Tumblr | Profile | Supporter

Old September 6th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Autumn Reverie
The world bores you when you're cool.

Nature: Modest
Favourite: Cyndaquil. Cyndaquil and its evolutions really captures my attention in terms of battle potential and its incomparable adorableness in its Cyndaquil stage and awesomeness in its fully evolved stage. :3

Least-favourite: Treecko. I just don't really have a lot of sentimental connections with the Treecko family I guess, that's why it's not on the top of my list. I do like Grovyle though! I think it looks the best amongst the three of them. Also, thanks to PMD for that. :P
Old September 7th, 2013, 01:07 AM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
Well my most favorite is Oshawott while least favorite is well........ Treecko.
Old September 7th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Adventure
trust your doctor

Nature: Naive
Charmander and Bulbasaur and Chikorita might be my first choices for non-evolved starters, just because I feel like it. Middle line, I like most of the starters actually, and fully evolved it's probably Blaziken or Infernape.

In general, I prefer fire starters and like grass starters the least. But then there's Chikorita and Bulbasaur, so there is no fully functional rule in me for that. I also like bipedal starters more than four legged, so Samurott and most grass pokémon fall behind on that account.
Old September 8th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Superfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post
I also like bipedal starters more than four legged, so Samurott and most grass pokémon fall behind on that account.
Although, Samurott, like Swampert, is a starter that can alternate between being quadrupedal and bipedal. I just think some people, such as myself, thinks it looks cooler as a quadruped.
Old September 9th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Crobatrulez20
Ash x Serena please

Favorite: Sceptile. He looks so cool and I like the "king of the forest" idea, and he's pretty good too.
Least favorite: Definitely Charizard because he's overrated(3% raw usage in OU!!!!!) and sucks horribly competitively thanks to its weakness to Stealth Rock, common weaknesses, Solar Power making it even more sensible in the sun, and Politoed and Tyranitar. I'm pretty sure Mega forms are going to be banned in OU so Charizard is still gonna be horrible.
SuperSkarmory | Serebii | Gengar's Revenge (Ubers) | Infernape in Ubers (peaked at #35!)
Old September 9th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Victreebel's Bro
Trusty Sword

In order from favourite to least favorite:
Feraligatr, Blaziken, Blastoise, Swampert, Sceptile, Torterra, Typhlosion, Serperior, Emboar, Infernape, Charizard, Venusaur, Empoleon, Meganium, Samurott

POKÉMON X FC: 0146-9095-5226
Friend Safari (Bug): Butterfree, Volbeat and Vivillon
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:24 AM
classiccartoonsftw
Nintendo is for awesome people

Favourite first stages: All Water starters (sans for Oshawott), Bulbasaur, Treecko, Snivy, Charmander, Torchic, Chimchar, and Fennekin.
Least favourite first stages: Tepig and Chespin. I don't really like their designs.

Favourite second stages: All gen 1 ones, all gen 3 ones, Croconaw, Servine, Dewott, Braixen, and Frogadier.
Least favourite second stages: Probably Quilladin. In my opinion, it's design was kind of a downgrade to Chespin's.

Favourite final stages: All gen 1 ones, all gen 3 ones, Feraligatr, Infernape, Delphox, and Greninja.
Least favourite final stages: Emboar. I don't like it that it's the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row.

EDIT: The Kalos starter lines are now known, so I decided to add them. Also, Charizard is once again one of my favourites.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=304577

Be sure to check the last page!

Credit for this sig goes to Ash`, credit for my avatar goes to The Epic Pikachu from Tumblr

Last edited by classiccartoonsftw; October 4th, 2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Decided to update this
Old September 9th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something

Nature: Calm
My favorite starter is obviously Serperior, although, other favorites are Empoleon, Samurott, Sceptile, Venusaur, and Swampert.

My least favorite is Emboar as I don't really like its design all that much.
Old September 15th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Brendino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfox View Post
With all the talk of the Kalos starters, I thought it'd be cool to revisit previous generations and discuss which starter Pokémon are our favorites, and which ones are our least favorites.

I'll start first.

Favorites: Its a tie between Typhlosion and Samurott, with Infernape as a close second favorite
  • Cyndaquil was the first starter I ever chose back in Pokémon Silver. Therefore, its a special one to me. I also like the rest of the Johnto starters, but Typhlosion was a beast. I remember being 9 years old and calling up my best friend at the time to tell him how my Quilava had just evolved into a Typhlosion. Ah, good times.
  • Samurott is also one of my favorites just...because. His design is awesome. I find it so cool that a starter that everyone thought was the ugliest of them all (Oshawott) turned out to have the coolest final form out of all the Unova starters. He's also a very reliable battler. Pretty much a very dependable powerhouse.
  • Infernape. I love the design. That cool flaming Hanuman style. Plus, Chimchar is just...so unique among the starters, in my opinion. I would never have imagined a starter Pokémon based on a chimp or monkey. I would have thought that any sort of primate was too human-like for them, as the starters were traditionally based on animals a little lower on the evolutionary tree like lizards, turtles, chickens, and crocodiles.

Least Favorites: Venusaur and Emboar
  • I know Venusaur gets a lot of love, but its not one of my favorites. Its not bad at all, but its just...okay. I'd much rather have Charizard or Blastoise. I think the real problem I have with Venusaur is that the Bulbasaur evolutionary family shows the least transformation along its evolutionary line of any of the Kanto starters. I mean, Venusaur is really just a bigger, fatter, more intimidating version of Bulbasaur, with a big flower on its back instead of a bulb. Charizard and Blastoise at least show marked change from their original forms, changing in color, size, and even basic body structure.
  • Emboar just looks ridiculous and its not that reliable of a battler. It looks like it should be a powerhouse, but its not. Plus the fact that its the THIRD Fire/Fighting starter doesn't really endear me to it either.
Congrats on being selected as the first Poll of the Week here in Pokemon Voting Polls! This is the type of thread that suits PVP perfectly- asking a multi-answer question that gives members a good chance to talk about their likes and dislikes, but gives them a chance to expand on that as well.
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Adventure
trust your doctor

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfox View Post
Although, Samurott, like Swampert, is a starter that can alternate between being quadrupedal and bipedal. I just think some people, such as myself, thinks it looks cooler as a quadruped.
Yeah, I guess. I'm just partial to bipedal pokémon. Not sure why! I think maybe I'm imagining them fighting more easily and freely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victreebel's Bro View Post
In order from favourite to least favorite:
Feraligatr, Blaziken, Blastoise, Swampert, Sceptile, Torterra, Typhlosion, Serperior, Emboar, Infernape, Charizard, Venusaur, Empoleon, Meganium, Samurott
That's quite the list! Care to give an explanation for why you like some more than the others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendino View Post
Congrats on being selected as the first Poll of the Week here in Pokemon Voting Polls! This is the type of thread that suits PVP perfectly- asking a multi-answer question that gives members a good chance to talk about their likes and dislikes, but gives them a chance to expand on that as well.
Indeed~

Maybe we could add the Kalos starters to this talk too now? Since they have one evo each for now which gives us a little more feeling for what they are meant to turn out to be.
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
My favourite first stage starters are Piplup and Tepig because they're both so ridiculously cute and they're both Pokémon which you can tell will evolve to reach their full potential, and my least favourite first stage starters are Totodile and Oshawott because I find them both to be really ugly haha. My favourite fully evolved starter is Infernape because it's a badass and a lot of fun to use (plus I'm not hugely fond of any of the others) and my least favourite is Feraligatr - that family is my least favourite in the whole of the Pokémon world and I deeply wish they'd never been made.

As for including X&Y, Chespin's my new favourite base form! It's way too cute omg.
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:31 AM
★ Aura Draydoblade ★
Lucario's Sword

Nature: Brave
In order from favorite to least favorite:

Empoleon, Blaziken, Swampert, Samurott, Charizard, Feraligatr, Sceptile, Infernape, Torterra, Typhlosion, Blastoise, Serperior, Meganium, Venusaur, Emboar

As you can see, I'm not a fan of Grass-types.

Oh, and out of the X/Y starters,

Fennekin, Froakie, Chespin

No hard feelings, Chespin.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:42 AM
adbunch1986

Squirtal, Wartortle, and Blastiose
Charmander, Charmeleon, and Charizard
Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, and Venusaur

GenII

Totodile, Croconaw, and Feraligatr
Cyndaquil, Quilava, and Typholsion
Chikorita, Bayleef, and Meganium

GenIII

Treecko, Grovyle, and Sceptile
Mudkip, Marshtomp, and Swampert
Torchic, Combuskeen, and Blaziken

GenIV

Chimchar, Monferno, and Infernape
Piplup, Priplup, and Empoleon
Turtwig, Grotle, and Torterra

GenV

Snivy, Servine, and Serperior
Tepig, Pignite, and Emboar
Oshawott, Dewatt, and Samurott

favorite to least favorite:
Infernape, Blastoise, Charizard, Feraligatr, Typhlosion, Empoleon,
Sceptile, Serperior, Venusaur, Meganium, Swampert, Emboar,
Samurott, Torterra, and Blaziken

Imho Infernape is the best of the fire/fighting starter combo with good stats and movepool. And I hate Blaziken because its stats and movepool. The reason for Venusaur for where he/she positioned is because it's to slow for my tastes and it's evolutions don't change enough. I've never liked the design of Chikorita, nor Bayleef.
Torterra is to slow for my tastes and even with ev training I could never get him fast enough to keep him.

As far as genVI Braixen and Fennekin, then Chespin and Quilladin, and finally Froakie and Frogadier. I just like the way Braixen and Fennekin look. Froakie would have been in second place if not for the way Frogadier looked. My biggest complaint with Frogadier is its hands. But I think these are the best three looking starters since genI. In every other gen with the exception of this gen and genI have had one or two of the starter that look a little wankie or just down right terrible.
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:28 PM
SoundDesperado

Favourite: Sceptile, I love it's design, and it's signature moved (which other Pokemon copied), Leaf Blade. Samurott, Blastoise, Feraligatr and Serperior are pretty cool too.
Least Favourite: Emboar, obviously. While not as bad as Dratini to Dragonite, he looks nothing like his 1st form in any way except in colour scheme. Then there's the fact he's the third Fire/Fighting type in a row! Masuda said that they put most of their effort into the starters but Emboar (and Infernape, and Quilladin...) is evidence of their laziness. I always thought Venusaur and Meganium were a bit plain as well.
Old September 27th, 2013, 06:40 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
My favorite starter is Mudkip because it's the first Pokemon I ever started with. Swampert is also pretty good, even though it took a hit in usefulness in Gen V. Chikorita is my least favorite because of how hard it is to use in its respective games.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links