The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

View Poll Results: First impressions: Your thoughts?
It looks great, I'll probably get a new iPhone and/or download the software. 5 20.83%
It was awful and Samsung is the way to go. 6 25.00%
They're desperate and Jobs is rolling around in his grave 8 33.33%
I prefer another brand of phone/software, like Android 10 41.67%
meh 7 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old September 12th, 2013 (08:11 PM).
Kanzler's Avatar
Kanzler
naughty biscotti
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
The 5C's gonna retail around $549 off contract It's still just as expensive as the competition. It's not something I'd readily afford, anyways.
__________________
Axeliira. ugh so late
Reply With Quote
  #27    
Old September 12th, 2013 (08:17 PM).
Echidna's Avatar
Echidna
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vaniville Town
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
The 5C's gonna retail around $549 off contract :( It's still just as expensive as the competition. It's not something I'd readily afford, anyways.
Yes, the cheap option.

Me neither. ;;
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #28    
Old September 12th, 2013 (08:23 PM).
\/'s Avatar
\/
Grey Cat
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDRO12 View Post
Yes but what is unique about American companies is that they only care about the money. Seriously.
Do you have any examples of American companies only caring about money, compared to the rest of the world's companies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDRO12 View Post
What is so important on my phone that needs that kind of protection? Idk.
Off the top of my head government workers, corporate workers, adulterers, spies, and teens with naughty pictures might want or need that level of security.

As for everyone else it saves you time typing or swiping a password to unlock the phone and prevents you from having to type your password each time you download an app or in-app purchase. (One of the main reasons I was considering switching back to Android.)
Reply With Quote
  #29    
Old September 12th, 2013 (08:25 PM).
Kanzler's Avatar
Kanzler
naughty biscotti
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Ehh, it's a feature that's evolutionary instead of revolutionary and tells me that I'm going to be paying for it. I don't want to feel like I'm paying more than I have to for an already expensive product ._.

And also, it is about the money. The customer is king. The company can decide to save some face and make the overseas product less profitable, but the profit's worth it I guess. It still comes across as a slap in the face for non-Americans. Setting the price to an equal amount of dollars in euros is just as arbitrary as setting the price to come up to the same after all tariffs. It's still how they do business.
__________________
Axeliira. ugh so late
Reply With Quote
  #30    
Old September 12th, 2013 (08:29 PM). Edited September 14th, 2013 by Echidna.
Echidna's Avatar
Echidna
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vaniville Town
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by \/ View Post
Do you have any examples of American companies only caring about money, compared to the rest of the world's companies?
Nintendo/Sony > Microsoft
Samsung > Apple
Toshiba > Dell

Ironically all of those are Japanese / American.
I would go into detail but I think you have the picture.

EDIT:

Ok so Samsung is Korean. I'll go kill myself now bye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by \/ View Post
Off the top of my head government workers, corporate workers, adulterers, spies, and teens with naughty pictures might want or need that level of security.

As for everyone else it saves you time typing or swiping a password to unlock the phone and prevents you from having to type your password each time you download an app or in-app purchase. (One of the main reasons I was considering switching back to Android.)
A) Government personnel who carry sensitive information on their phones are stupid, put bluntly. Also, their phones are usually, I suspect, backed up with more firewall protection than Apple could even think of.
Same goes for corporate workers. Most large companies work an internal system where you're not allowed to take anything back home with you let alone download it to your phone.

B) People have never complained about that... ? Why now just because there's an alternative?
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #31    
Old September 13th, 2013 (08:05 AM).
nimbo's Avatar
nimbo
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: a mitten
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Naughty
The thing is, I don't think Apple ever said that the 5c was going to be "cheaper", I think that was all of the rumors/speculations. So the price doesn't surprise me all too much.
Reply With Quote
  #32    
Old September 13th, 2013 (12:33 PM).
Tsutarja's Avatar
Tsutarja
Happy Holidays
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa, Florida
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbo View Post
The thing is, I don't think Apple ever said that the 5c was going to be "cheaper", I think that was all of the rumors/speculations. So the price doesn't surprise me all too much.
For the record, it is cheaper on contract prices than the 5s.. it's outrageous that the 5c is $99 on contract, but as much as $549 for the 16 GB 5c and $649 for the 32 GB off-contract. Quite the price range there if you ask me.
__________________
Happy Holidays
mod pairs family tumblr twitter
Reply With Quote
  #33    
Old September 13th, 2013 (03:50 PM).
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Panic Station
Age: 20
They're never going to beat Samsung globally - they wouldn't compromise their standards (high price and quality) to a large enough extent to outsell them. Before you say "ah, but the Chinese are getting richer" guess what? The price of the iPhone will go up to accomodate this fact.
In "the West" though, this refresh could swing a lot of people over.

Personally I really like the look of iOS7. The fingerprint scanner on the 5S intrigues me, but something that risky there's no way I'm buying the first edition. The "low-cost" rumours around the 5C turned out not to be quite so true but on contract, a 32GB 5C is actually only £10 more than a 16GB 5, and £100 cheaper than a 16GB 5S.
The storage has sold me on the 5C, the colours are what's stopped me pre-ordering it. I'm going to get one of their dotted cases, but I need to see the phones in the flesh as with such bold colours I could easily end up hating my phone. Probably going to combine Blue and Green/Pink (depending on how pink "pink" is). The idea of them shipping each phone with the backgrounds set by default to match its colours is also pretty darn cool if you ask me.
Still though, love this:

Takes corporate Twitter trolling to a whole new level xD
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34    
Old September 13th, 2013 (06:08 PM).
Sideshow Bob's Avatar
Sideshow Bob
Hufflepuff and Slytherin
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry, Summer Bay & Lumiose City
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Aren't these things released like every year?
__________________
Directioner, Belieber, Potterhead! I love the Lord more than anybody else.

Science fiction (Ooh ooh ooh) double feature.
Doctor X (Ooh ooh ooh) will build a creature.
See androids fighting (Ooh ooh ooh) Brad and Janet.
Anne Francis stars in (Ooh ooh ooh) Forbidden Planet.
(Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh)
At the late night, double feature, picture show.

"Haters? They sit in their basement, comment on my videos, giving me more views, breaking more records. My haters helped me achieve that." - Justin Bieber
Reply With Quote
  #35    
Old September 13th, 2013 (07:08 PM).
Echidna's Avatar
Echidna
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vaniville Town
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Luigi Fletcher View Post
Aren't these things released like every year?
Yes because hard-core Apple fans really like the product so apparently Apple wants to milk the iPhone to its fullest, in turn making a lot of cash on peoples' expense!

America.
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #36    
Old September 13th, 2013 (09:59 PM). Edited September 13th, 2013 by Livewire.
Livewire's Avatar
Livewire
The Young Wolf
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winterfell
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amore View Post
They're never going to beat Samsung globally - they wouldn't compromise their standards (high price and quality) to a large enough extent to outsell them. Before you say "ah, but the Chinese are getting richer" guess what? The price of the iPhone will go up to accomodate this fact.
In "the West" though, this refresh could swing a lot of people over.

Personally I really like the look of iOS7. The fingerprint scanner on the 5S intrigues me, but something that risky there's no way I'm buying the first edition. The "low-cost" rumours around the 5C turned out not to be quite so true but on contract, a 32GB 5C is actually only £10 more than a 16GB 5, and £100 cheaper than a 16GB 5S.
The storage has sold me on the 5C, the colours are what's stopped me pre-ordering it. I'm going to get one of their dotted cases, but I need to see the phones in the flesh as with such bold colours I could easily end up hating my phone. Probably going to combine Blue and Green/Pink (depending on how pink "pink" is). The idea of them shipping each phone with the backgrounds set by default to match its colours is also pretty darn cool if you ask me.
Still though, love this:

Takes corporate Twitter trolling to a whole new level xD
Props to Windows on that, hahaha.

I'm not very confident that Apple will be able to live down the fact that it pilfered from Windows & Samsung. Only more proof that they're past the innovator stage and are the ones taking brilliant bits from other companies in order to stay relevant. Jobs is screaming somewhere I'm sure. But hey, if it brings in the dollars, it can't be that bad.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37    
Old September 14th, 2013 (02:21 PM).
Dter ic's Avatar
Dter ic
(=^ェ^=)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachLMedia View Post
For the record, it is cheaper on contract prices than the 5s.. it's outrageous that the 5c is $99 on contract, but as much as $549 for the 16 GB 5c and $649 for the 32 GB off-contract. Quite the price range there if you ask me.
And reminds me how much does it cost if both of them were off contract? I don't believe the 5C is that that cheap compared to the 5S since the 5C will set you back $550 at least.

and lol if you look at the back of the iPhone with the case they're promoting it says 'non'
Spoiler:
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38    
Old September 14th, 2013 (04:03 PM).
Mr. X's Avatar
Mr. X
For Money
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Ah, a gold colored iPhone... I can think of no better way of asking to be mugged.

Even then, the price differences for the higher capacity is a rip off. The storage is no diffrent from any SD card your pull off the shelf. a 16 gb would be 14, and a 32 would be 26. Put in a extra 12 worth of memory, jack the price up by a hundred. Hell of a markup.

Ah well. Plenty of suckers that need to be relieved of their money.
__________________
Follower of Carlinism since 2008.

Come play Runescape
Reply With Quote
  #39    
Old September 14th, 2013 (04:44 PM).
\/'s Avatar
\/
Grey Cat
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDRO12 View Post
Nintendo/Sony > Microsoft
Samsung > Apple
Toshiba > Dell

Ironically all of those are Japanese / American.
I would go into detail but I think you have the picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDRO12 View Post
Yes because hard-core Apple fans really like the product so apparently Apple wants to milk the iPhone to its fullest, in turn making a lot of cash on peoples' expense!

America.
Feel free to go into detail because I don't have the same picture of those companies as you do.

Which part of Japan is Samsung from? As far as the other 'Japanese' companies go, in their heyday they were much like Apple, releasing new products in the same category every year, many more in fact - possibly one of the reasons they are all struggling now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDRO12 View Post
A) Government personnel who carry sensitive information on their phones are stupid, put bluntly. Also, their phones are usually, I suspect, backed up with more firewall protection than Apple could even think of.
Same goes for corporate workers. Most large companies work an internal system where you're not allowed to take anything back home with you let alone download it to your phone.

B) People have never complained about that... ? Why now just because there's an alternative?
A) Some people apparently have a need to carry sensitive information on their phones. I remember seeing a picture of Obama's $3,000+ NSA-certified phone from General Dynamics, there is no way stingy government agencies (particularly the military - note the Dragonskin armor fiasco) will pay that much to issue those to everyone so they have to resort to mainstream phones.
B) Its a somewhat common complaint among people who switch from Android to iOS, (as I had to recently) something iOS has required for a long time and is completely absurd.
Reply With Quote
  #40    
Old September 14th, 2013 (05:14 PM).
Tsutarja's Avatar
Tsutarja
Happy Holidays
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa, Florida
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Guys, please don't turn this thread into an argument thread about companies other than Apple being better. This thread was meant to discuss the news from Apple from this past Tuesday, not to bash Apple. If this keeps up, then I'll have to unfortunately close this thread.
__________________
Happy Holidays
mod pairs family tumblr twitter
Reply With Quote
  #41    
Old September 14th, 2013 (06:26 PM).
Andrew's Avatar
Andrew
멘붕
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan, USA
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
My overall reaction to the new phones: Meh.

Do I want one? Yes. Simply because it's an upgrade from my 4S (which I can't get because I can't upgrade for about a year), but it's nothing mind blowing. The fingerprint scanner is really cool, but overall, the 5S is just a 5 with a better processor (which is definitely a good thing, but not exactly innovative). If they were going for "affordable" with the 5C, they failed. Off contract $300 or $400 is "affordable", not $550.

My reaction to iOS 7: Awesome. Fantastic. Best iOS yet. I installed the GM version a few days ago and I love it. The design is sleek and appealing, and the new features are great. The major reason I jailbroke previous iOS versions was to add options that are now available in the control center (quick toggles for WiFi, Airplane Mode, Flashlight, full music control, etc). Dynamic Wallpapers are a great feature, but should have been added a long time ago. Unlimited folder space is another thing that should have been added a long time ago, but I'm glad it was finally included. Overall, I'm super happy with iOS 7 and I think Apple did a great job with it.

TL;DR New iPhones? Meh. iOS 7? Awesome.
__________________

Pokémon Y:
FC: 2165-6285-6760
Name: Sapphire
Safari: Dark (Pawniard, Cacturne, Sableye)
Reply With Quote
  #42    
Old September 16th, 2013 (08:09 AM).
Livewire's Avatar
Livewire
The Young Wolf
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winterfell
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andr3w View Post
My overall reaction to the new phones: Meh.

Do I want one? Yes. Simply because it's an upgrade from my 4S (which I can't get because I can't upgrade for about a year), but it's nothing mind blowing. The fingerprint scanner is really cool, but overall, the 5S is just a 5 with a better processor (which is definitely a good thing, but not exactly innovative). If they were going for "affordable" with the 5C, they failed. Off contract $300 or $400 is "affordable", not $550.

My reaction to iOS 7: Awesome. Fantastic. Best iOS yet. I installed the GM version a few days ago and I love it. The design is sleek and appealing, and the new features are great. The major reason I jailbroke previous iOS versions was to add options that are now available in the control center (quick toggles for WiFi, Airplane Mode, Flashlight, full music control, etc). Dynamic Wallpapers are a great feature, but should have been added a long time ago. Unlimited folder space is another thing that should have been added a long time ago, but I'm glad it was finally included. Overall, I'm super happy with iOS 7 and I think Apple did a great job with it.

TL;DR New iPhones? Meh. iOS 7? Awesome.
I kind of got this vibe too. I love how iOS 7 looks and feels, but what I saw from the phones didn't really grab my attention like they did in the past. And I can't look at the 5c now without picturing the Window's phone, which probably isn't good for Apple, unless I'm the only one who thought that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43    
Old September 16th, 2013 (09:33 AM).
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Panic Station
Age: 20
I can look at the 5C without picturing windows phone...sometimes. The Nokia mock-dvert didn't help though.

yes, I did just create a new word. Deal with it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44    
Old September 16th, 2013 (03:49 PM).
Cordelia
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Nature: Sassy
They really dropped the ball with the new iPhones. Hopefully people like iOS 7... otherwise who knows?
Reply With Quote
  #45    
Old September 16th, 2013 (03:58 PM). Edited September 16th, 2013 by Echidna.
Echidna's Avatar
Echidna
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vaniville Town
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
They really dropped the ball with the new iPhones. Hopefully people like iOS 7... otherwise who knows?
iOs 7 is their only selling point right now, or at least that's how I feel. I don't know about Apple-drones honestly.
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #46    
Old September 18th, 2013 (03:21 PM).
Gfx's Avatar
Gfx
╰☆╮You're Perfect ❤
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Buried in my Computer
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
How do you feel about the update so far? Have you found anything cool that you want to share? Is it too big of a change?

I feel that it's gonna take a while getting used to it. But it seems like it's pretty cool.
__________________
Completed Challenges:
Randomized Pokemon Challenge
Solo Run - Alakazam

Reply With Quote
  #47    
Old September 18th, 2013 (03:24 PM).
Awkward.'s Avatar
Awkward.
#britanna
 
Join Date: May 2012
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
I only have 2GB of data free on my phone and I need 2.9GB, so frankly I'm not liking the update too well.
__________________
at some point I must have liked that you look like a taco addict who's had one too many back alley liposuctions

Reply With Quote
  #48    
Old September 18th, 2013 (03:43 PM).
Hoenn's Avatar
Hoenn
ロゼリア
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hoenn ☆
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
Oh goodness the trouble I'm having with installing this for my iPad, I've attempted three times now but it just keeps giving me errors. Part of me thinks that it's down to the fact that millions of other users are installing it simultaneously, but I'll keep trying!
__________________


Playtime : 35:03 | Badges : 6 | Pokédex : 69
Reply With Quote
  #49    
Old September 18th, 2013 (04:07 PM).
Gfx's Avatar
Gfx
╰☆╮You're Perfect ❤
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Buried in my Computer
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
For anyone who can't download it, here's what the home screen. looks like right now.
Spoiler:


__________________
Completed Challenges:
Randomized Pokemon Challenge
Solo Run - Alakazam

Reply With Quote
  #50    
Old September 18th, 2013 (04:50 PM).
Guy's Avatar
Guy
just a guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
Oh goodness the trouble I'm having with installing this for my iPad, I've attempted three times now but it just keeps giving me errors. Part of me thinks that it's down to the fact that millions of other users are installing it simultaneously, but I'll keep trying!
If you haven't done it already, try updating it through iTunes on your computer. I finally got mine to work that way after getting a ton of failure messages earlier today.

So far I'm really liking the update a lot though. It's like having a new iPad all over again. When Apple for unveiled iOS 7 I thought it looked really feminine and the new stylized icons seems like a downgrade. However, once I got passed the aesthetics, the new features are what stood out the most. It's going to take a little getting used to, but I'm pretty excited about it and am already playing around with it trying to get used to the new changes.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.