The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Juxapose

Nature: Jolly
So, does anyone even use a Master Ball in Gen 5?

In my games, I have 2. I don't even bother using them. Why?

When I get to my legendaries (Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Terrakion, Verizion, Cobaldion), I use quick balls. For some reason, I catch these Pokemon like 60% of the time. It didn't work? Just reload the game, and chances are: I caught it. Not to mention that since I have both games, I can transfer the data from one game to another and have it so that repeat balls also become a good spammable ball against legendaries.

I don't care too much for shiny Pokemon. Most of the time, Shiny Pokemon have horrid IV stats, and don't have the correct nature. Chances are that the Shiny Pokemon will be a species that I don't even want to use. And considering that many players just RNG a shiny Pokemon, they don't even feel special anymore.

So tell me forum, do you still use Master Balls?

If you do, why?

If you don't, why not?
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Flushed
Tomato Soup
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I don't use Masterballs anymore, in any generation. I really never feel the need to. The only logical times I can think of using it is for a runner, which I rarely chase down, or a shiny that can Roar/Explode, which is so rare I feel bad for you if it happens.
Old September 10th, 2013, 12:15 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I saved the Master Balls I got from Colress and Prof. Juniper for emergencies/laziness. In Black 2, I used them on Azelf and Mesprit. In Black/White, I used them on Tornadus/Thundurus.

Old September 10th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
I have only used my Master Ball only once (I own 6 copies of my 5th gen games, 1 black, 1 white, 2 black 2,and 2 white 2).

I used it in one of my Black 2 games to catch a shiny Mienfoo. My team was just too strong for poor Mienfoo so I feared that if I hit it would faint.

I have 3 more Master Balls I have not used (in 2 of my games I only recently started) so far no plans to use them.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenges - Giving Challenges a quick break so I can enjoy OR/AS
Random Challenge - Badges: 6/8 - game: X - Location: Route 16
Random Challenge - Badges: 3/8 - game: Y - Location: Shalour City
50/50 Challenge - Badges 5/8 - Game Y - Location: Route 14
Old September 10th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Jellicent♀
ღ Fairy Wind ღ

Nature: Modest
I always have a mind set to use them, but then just never do. I guess I really just forget about them, mainly. xD
The only time I really ever use them is with Tornadus or Thundurus, or even one of the 3 Musketeers because those are HARD to catch. ;A;

Let the little fairy in you fly!
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Alloute
Cat Burglar

Nature: Relaxed
Generation 5 is the first gen where I didn't use my Master Balls. I caught all the Legendary Pokemon with Ultra Balls, Dusk Balls and Timer Balls. My Master Balls are just collecting dust right now.
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Fiery Dash

I only use Masterball for roaming Pokemon,
because they always flee from the battle even when asleep.
Plus I'm not the kind of trainer that is fully prepared for encountering any roaming Pokemon.
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
I never use them because obviously they're Too Awesome To Use.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
The only Pokémon I would use it on are the roamers but I prefer to catch them normally since it's a bit more challenging and fun that way. I think I actually ended up using it on Kyurem just because I was bored of fighting the ugly brute and wanted the battle to be over, but in general I much prefer to keep it held back and to use regular methods for catching things. It's not the hardest game in the world so adding in extra little challenges like that can make it a bit more entertaining.
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I never really use Master balls. They're just too precious to use, so by the time I catch the most important Pokemon I just have a masterball lying there.
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

Most of the time, I use Master Ball only to catch legendaries that you randomly run into in the wild. If I ever use it on a Pokémon that you'd normally be able to catch with an Ultra Ball, then I always end up with the feeling of regret. The last time I've used a Master Ball was to catch Cresselia in Pokémon Platinum. In Pokémon Black, I wanted to use it on Tornadus, but I was never able to find that Pokémon. xD
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:38 PM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
I have one but it is rusty by now as I feel more competitve when i use Ultra Balls on legendary Pokes
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:17 AM
BloodFrostX
I miss permaweather.

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to BloodFrostX
I've vowed never to use master balls again. After catching Lugia with a simple pokeball, master balls seem worthless. Unless there is a pokemon that I want and just don't feel like weakening and catching, I'll chuck a master ball at it. But otherwise, the dang things are worthless.
Old September 11th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Fiery Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFrostX View Post
I've vowed never to use master balls again. After catching Lugia with a simple pokeball, master balls seem worthless. Unless there is a pokemon that I want and just don't feel like weakening and catching, I'll chuck a master ball at it. But otherwise, the dang things are worthless.
I had an old classmate who used simple red/white Pokeballs to catch legendaries,
when asked why not use Ultra or other Pokeballs...
His response was... The better Pokeballs are expensive,
and he lost his Masterball...
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Juxapose

Nature: Jolly
I see that most people don't use their master balls. Now I have a new question for the forum to discuss.

Since the creation of Quick Balls, Dusk Balls, and other balls that make Pokemon easy to catch, do you appreciate this change, or absolutely hate it?

Personally, I appreciate it. When there were only a few legendary Pokemon, using your skill and wits was a fun way to prove yourself in the world of Pokemon. But our modern day games have so many legendary Pokemon, cutting them all down to red, putting them to sleep, and chucking Ultra balls became busy-work. Nice to know that I don't have to do it anymore.
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Sheep
im actually a foot model

Nature: Timid
I keep them for roaming legends aka Tornadus and Thundurus. That's all I've ever really been using Master Balls so far.. non-roamers I can catch with enough patience but roamers just take way too long and hng.

da best | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3
Avatar by Lilith | Signature by Achromatic
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I always use Master Balls for main game legendary... not for particular reason... just habit, I guess.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:11 AM
pachthegiant

I use my masterball on a wild bidoof and then I release it
Old September 12th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
I've been doing it for a few gens now, but I always save my Master Balls for random shiny Pokemon that might appear, just so I know I can catch it right away. White was the first time this actually proved useful though, as I caught a shiny Ducklett on the Driftveil Drawbridge. Looking back, I probably could've attempted to catch it with something else, but at least I didn't have to go through any hassle and got it right away.

Pokémon Trainer Brendan wants to battle!
Grovyle (Lv. 32) - Overgrow - (Leaf Blade, Energy Ball)
Favorite Pokémon Tournament: FINALE
November 21st / Staff Collab 2014

(reduced activity through december, poke me if you need me)
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Warsmith
Paranoid Murderer

Nature: Bold
I use regular pokeballs, koff~

If 100 of 'em isn't enough, I spring for greatballs (goodness gracious). I used a masterball on Zekrom, and by accident I might add. I think I could have done it using the standard pokeball, given enough time, koffi~
Old September 21st, 2013, 02:29 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
I've never used a Master Ball before. Not even when I come across shinies. I only use them when I come across a shiny that's capable of selfdestructing, teleporting, etc. Which has never happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxapose View Post
I don't care too much for shiny Pokemon. Most of the time, Shiny Pokemon have horrid IV stats, and don't have the correct nature. Chances are that the Shiny Pokemon will be a species that I don't even want to use. And considering that many players just RNG a shiny Pokemon, they don't even feel special anymore.
I believe the method of obtaining a shiny is more important than the shiny itself. For instance, if you came across a Shiny Gyarados, Dragonite, or Garchomp, you can brag about it being found in the wild as opposed to the in-game gifts. Likewise, a shiny starter that you got by pure luck has more bragging rights than a person who RNGed or hacked. This might not be known at face-value, but so long as the player knows, s'all that matters.
Old September 21st, 2013, 03:16 PM
Decimosoma
Free to dream, free to smile

When it comes to Master balls, Generation 5 is an absolute joke. The Swords of Justice Trio were so easy to catch that I find walking on a beach even more of a challenge.

So much trouble to get the item for Heatran, quick ball failed and catch it on full HP with a dusk ball. Cresselia was the most easiest to catch and it's capture was quite ironic. Quick ball failed and catched it on full hp with a normal Pokéball.

The lake guardians.. I don't even need to start on this, do I? They were just quick ball captures, even Metang was harder to catch with those three combined.

For now on i'm only using my Master balls to catch shinies wether they have horrible IVs or bad natures is totally irrelevant to me.

Last edited by Decimosoma; September 22nd, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:09 AM
LardassEd

I recently used mine to capture heatran, i reset untill i finally got a Modest one.

Edit: for the record, i caught it modest on the 2nd try.

Last edited by LardassEd; September 22nd, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:17 AM
Imperator161

I generally only use master balls for roaming legendaries. I also like to keep a spare master ball around for those rare circumstances when I desperately need to catch something as quickly as possible (e.g., a shiny that knows self-destruct, roar, etc.).

Overall, though, I catch most of my Pokémon in dusk balls. I almost always play at night, so they work really well.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:09 AM
MIAU
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I haven't used my Master Balls yet, and probably won't too soon anyway. I've caught almost all the legendaries, usually with Dusk Balls or Ultra Balls, a Timer Ball for Cobalion and a random Quick Ball for Uxie. I actually liked chasing after the roaming Thundurus in White, and even though I did get a bit annoyed when I realized it can flee while sleeping (why?!), I still didn't use the Master Ball.

I probably will use it on a shiny though, when and if I ever encounter one in the wild

Sponsored Links