The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 29th, 2013, 05:35 AM
daniilS
busy trying to do stuff not done yet

Advertise here
Great work Gogo! Will the next version include the Team Rocket battle theme?

Thanks to JPAN, Jambo51, Shiny Quagsire and knizz for teaching me almost everything I know about hacking, through tutorials or in person.
Old September 29th, 2013, 08:41 AM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiRellik1 View Post
You're an exception xD. Anyways, are the original voicegroups still in the ROM after applying your patch?
Yeah. I just edited the intro themes (the ones with the drums) to use HGSS instruments, but other than that, no, I did not edit existing voicegroups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniilS View Post
Great work Gogo! Will the next version include the Team Rocket battle theme?
Yes, hopefully I find a slot to put it in.

Last edited by GoGoJJTech; September 29th, 2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 30th, 2013, 02:38 AM
AntiRellik1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
Yeah. I just edited the intro themes (the ones with the drums) to use HGSS instruments, but other than that, no, I did not edit existing voicegroups.
Thats great. How are you progressing with the Emerald patch? I'm making an Emerald hack and I noticed a few instruments were missing in your patch. I'm porting some music from Black & White so I'll be using your Emerald patch as a base since all the NDS samples will be there.
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Wobbu
Yee

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Thats great. How are you progressing with the Emerald patch? I'm making an Emerald hack and I noticed a few instruments were missing in your patch. I'm porting some music from Black & White so I'll be using your Emerald patch as a base since all the NDS samples will be there.
I've inserted every instrument into the Emerald patch. You lost likely assembled the song into the wrong voicegroup. The Romhack.me page has my most recent update, so maybe the song you want is in the new update. If not, then tell me what song you want to insert and I'll tell you which offset the voicegroup is located at.
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:38 AM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

Quote:
Plus there's a BW music patch coming out soon, so why use HGSS instruments?
Old October 2nd, 2013, 01:26 PM
AntiRellik1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsziede View Post
I've inserted every instrument into the Emerald patch. You lost likely assembled the song into the wrong voicegroup. The Romhack.me page has my most recent update, so maybe the song you want is in the new update. If not, then tell me what song you want to insert and I'll tell you which offset the voicegroup is located at.
Thats great then. I didn't take a look thoroughly so maybe I missed it.

Quote:
Plus there's a BW music patch coming out soon, so why use HGSS instruments?
That's because I'll be using a combination of music from all games and I have my own tracks done and some of them "remixed". So I was pretty much looking for a base instead.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 01:27 PM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

Quote:
Thats great then. I didn't take a look thoroughly so maybe I missed it.

That's because I'll be using a combination of music from all games and I have my own tracks done and some of them "remixed". So I was pretty much looking for a base instead.
Well it'd be a good idea to use the BW as a base, then import the necessary instruments from here. BW is more work, so it's best you don't waste time importing from there. Just a few more days hopefully.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 01:37 AM
Flandre Scarlet
Free your mind.
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
1. The voicegroups in the patches are set up exactly like the default HGSS voicegroup. The numbers are way different than the default GBA instrument numbers. For example, the string ensemble in the GBA Poké games is number 48, whereas it's number 23 in HGSS.
Does anyone actually have a list that has all of the HG/SS instrument numbers on them, or do we kinda have to just mix and match them?

Because when I've been inserting my custom songs with the DPPt instrument patch, I had to mix and match some instruments cause they weren't the same as the GBA instrument numbers either.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:18 AM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flandre Scarlet View Post
Does anyone actually have a list that has all of the HG/SS instrument numbers on them, or do we kinda have to just mix and match them?

Because when I've been inserting my custom songs with the DPPt instrument patch, I had to mix and match some instruments cause they weren't the same as the GBA instrument numbers either.
Gamefreak did that to throw us off, too bad we're SMART
So there's not a list, but you could pick them out by ear. The most common is 29 (trumpet).
Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:17 PM
Wobbu
Yee

0-6: Percussive chordophones and idiophones
7: Xylophone?
8: Tubular Bells
9: Vibraphone?
10: Music Box
11-12: Idiophones
13: Accordion
14: Acoustic Guitar
15: Acoustic Guitar
16: Overdriven Guitar
17: Overdriven Guitar
18: ???
19: Upright Bass
20: ??? (a bass instrument)
21: Slap Bass
22: ??? (a bass instrument)
23: String Ensemble
24: Viola or Violin (I'm not sure)
25: Cello
26: Pizzicato Strings
27: Harp
28: Timpani
29: Trumpet
30: Tuba or Trombone
31: ??? (Some type of brass instrument)
32: Tuba or Trombone
33: ??? (It's a high pitched aerophone, maybe an Oboe or Piccolo)
34: Clarinet
35: Flute
36: ??? (Aerophone)
37: Orchestra Hit
38: ???
39: Drums
40: Some weird Drums
41: ???
42: Japanese chordophone (don't know the name)
43: Not an instrument
44: Wind Sound Effect (used in the Frontier Brain battle theme and the Battle Arcade)
45: ??? (It sounds terrible and I haven't encountered a song that uses it; may be used as a sound effect)
46: ??? (Electrophone used in Silver's battle theme and another battle theme)
47: Bubble Sound Effect (used in Lugia's battle theme)
48: Square (as in GB quality)
49-51: Not an instrument
52-53: Squares (used in the credits)
54: Not an instrument
55: Whistle
56: ??? (sounds like a synthetic cymbal)
57: a type of Organ
58-59: Not an instrument
60-69: Vary depending on voicegroup (Includes the Grand Piano used in National Park, the Synthesizer used in many battle themes and the Global Terminal, an electronic drum set used in most battle themes, a few choirs used in some battle themes and Union Cave, a few Orchestra Hits that are used in battle themes, Percussive Bells, traditional instruments used in Ecruteak City and the Burned/Bell Towers, a Saxophone used in a couple Battle Frontier facilities)
70-89: Not an instrument
90-127: Some of these are the sound effects used when walking on grass, dirt, a road, etc. Also includes the wave sound effect when standing by the ocean.

Quote:
Gamefreak did that to throw us off, too bad we're SMART
lol I think the different instrument numbers are because of the software that the composer used. You can tell that the software used by HGSS's primary composer was also used for Gen. 5 because if you assembled an unmodified Icirrus City .s file (this goes for some other songs, too) into a HGSS voicegroup, the song will actually sound correct (if you disregard the lower quality and differently pitched instruments used in HGSS)

Last edited by Wobbu; October 3rd, 2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: More instruments added
Old October 5th, 2013, 05:25 PM
AntiRellik1

Hows it going guys? Anyways, I patched my Emerald rom and after pressing start on the titlescreen some instruments freeze and keep playing through out the game lol. I tried 2 different emerald roms and same problem. I also tried using patch 1.1 and patch 1.2. Has this happened before? Thanks guys
Old October 5th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Wobbu
Yee

Quote:
Hows it going guys? Anyways, I patched my Emerald rom and after pressing start on the titlescreen some instruments freeze and keep playing through out the game lol. I tried 2 different emerald roms and same problem. I also tried using patch 1.1 and patch 1.2. Has this happened before? Thanks guys
Things are going good :P
What emulator are you using? I've had this problem with my iPhone emus, but not VBA. I'm pretty sure this is happening because I'm having issues with changing a pointer near the song table. I will try to have it fixed for the next update or maybe earlier.
Old October 5th, 2013, 05:35 PM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

Quote:
Things are going good
What emulator are you using? I've had this problem with my iPhone emus, but not VBA. I'm pretty sure this is happening because I'm having issues with changing a pointer near the song table. I will try to have it fixed for the next update or maybe earlier.
Just to clarify, if you have a .sav or .sgm1 file with your hack name, you will get errors due to the RAM being changed. This is because we repointed from the original RAM area, so you will need to delete those or reset (Ctrl + R in VBA)
Old October 5th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Orifiel
Priestess

Nature: Lonely
Wow, amazing. You're.. a sappy God!
Old October 5th, 2013, 06:16 PM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

Quote:
Originally Posted by L96 View Post
Wow, amazing. You're.. a sappy god!
Don't say that... And there is more than one person working on this.
Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I myself am about to use the DS ADSR values, so it will be an exact replica of HGSS.

Last edited by GoGoJJTech; October 5th, 2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: grammar
Old October 6th, 2013, 12:06 AM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

May I please ask if this is compatible with hacks in progress?

Sorry, I read the readme. How do I expand the ROM and will it corrupt it at all past 0x1000000?

Sorry again ignore those two I figured it out, I can't use offset 720000 because I have data in it already. Am I in trouble?

Last edited by kearnseyboy6; October 6th, 2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old October 6th, 2013, 11:10 AM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
May I please ask if this is compatible with hacks in progress?

Sorry, I read the readme. How do I expand the ROM and will it corrupt it at all past 0x1000000?

Sorry again ignore those two I figured it out, I can't use offset 720000 because I have data in it already. Am I in trouble?
Forget the 720000. It's just a playsong script, totally removable. Just change all pointers to 720000 to a
release
end script.
Old October 6th, 2013, 02:40 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
Forget the 720000. It's just a playsong script, totally removable. Just change all pointers to 720000 to a
release
end script.
Thanks I fixed that up, but my ROM is corrupting when I enter the second data bit at 0x071A40C because I have overwritten data there too. Is this repointable? I assume:
Quote:
Offset 0x035061C Change bytes to E0 A5 71
is referencing this data bit. So is this the only pointer in this data bit to fix?
Old October 6th, 2013, 02:42 PM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
Thanks I fixed that up, but my ROM is corrupting when I enter the second data bit at 0x071A40C because I have overwritten data there too. Is this repointable? I assume: is referencing this data bit. So is this the only pointer in this data bit to fix?
I have no idea what goes there, but it may be the event data for the script at 720000
So just don't repoint it, leave it how it was.
Old October 6th, 2013, 04:01 PM
AntiRellik1

Quote:
Just to clarify, if you have a .sav or .sgm1 file with your hack name, you will get errors due to the RAM being changed. This is because we repointed from the original RAM area, so you will need to delete those or reset (Ctrl + R in VBA)
I always delete the savs and sgm files when testing something out, just in case. It happens with VBA.
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:30 PM
mugenstation360

maybe its just me but im getting some pretty annoying reverb noise(like a small amount of instrument noise left over after each track plays or moves to a different track) for the emerald patches. Ive tried it with several different clean roms and used ups correctly. Its not super bothersome but it may be somethnig you want to look into. It seems to play perfect on fire red though. Maybe im missing an extra step??
Old October 6th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Wobbu
Yee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenstation360 View Post
maybe its just me but im getting some pretty annoying reverb noise(like a small amount of instrument noise left over after each track plays or moves to a different track) for the emerald patches. Ive tried it with several different clean roms and used ups correctly. Its not super bothersome but it may be somethnig you want to look into. It seems to play perfect on fire red though. Maybe im missing an extra step??
It's a bug that I overlooked because it doesn't occur with the emu that I'm using for testing. It should be an easy fix, so I plan on fixing it either before or during the next update.
Old October 7th, 2013, 12:01 PM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

Quote:
It's a bug that I overlooked because it doesn't occur with the emu that I'm using for testing. It should be an easy fix, so I plan on fixing it either before or during the next update.
know what it is now, it's that you repointed the 16 tracks to an insufficient RAM area. Change it again, this time with enough space (00)
Old October 12th, 2013, 01:58 AM
kmsptd162
ENFP

Nature: Jolly
Any news from Kanto music boss???
Old October 12th, 2013, 07:59 AM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsptd162 View Post
Any news from Kanto music boss???
Boss as in me or Boss as in Giovanni? I don't think Giovanni has his own theme, so I'll go with me as the Boss
Well 1 I've been focusing on the GB music counterparts, 2 I've been focusing on the BW music patch, and 3 I've been kinda busy with my own hacks. So thanks for the nudge, I'll get to them.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here