Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development
Reload this Page Quick Design Questions

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Old December 5th, 2013 (12:13 PM).
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote originally posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™:
The animated sprites are also too big for the smaller screen. A good portion of the larger pokemon simply will not fit. Gyarados and Zygarde are good examples of Pokemon that are cut off by the top edge of the screen in the small resolution. Mega Tyranitar and such would be other examples of ones that are likely to be cut off.
If you're adamant about having the Gen 6 "sprites", then you'll have to have the larger screen size for them to fit. If you could live without them, then you have a choice.

So, do you want to put in all the extra work of getting a set of Gen 6 "sprites", and either do some remapping or implement a frame, just to make the battle screen look a bit prettier and less cramped? Might it be possible to make the "sprites" a bit smaller?

Quote originally posted by tImE:
I think using a frame would be the best way to go if you don't want to redesign your maps to suit the new screen size. I, however, think frames are kind of ugly. Just my personal opinion.
I think a script that resizes the screen depending on if you are in a battle or not would be better, aesthetically speaking, but I don't know if RGSS allows that.
I also think borders/frames look bad, particularly if they're not going to be omnipresent (i.e. they disappear during battle).

Using the Animation Editor will tell you that it is indeed possible to resize the screen. However, doing this is worse than having frames.
Old December 5th, 2013 (12:22 PM).
ಥдಥ
Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
The sprites, I honestly am not attached to, I think project watchers are more attached than I am, which is why I was hesitant on asking the public. I could let them go if a smaller resolution is best going to display the game in the long run. Re sizing them is only going to work at 50% +/- increments.

SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
HARDCORE EDITION
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old December 5th, 2013 (05:15 PM). Edited December 5th, 2013 by Luka S.J..
@LukaSJ0

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™:
The overworld is where the problem lies.

The menus are not something I am too torn about having to make for a larger screen size, simply because they are not really done other than what people have already seen from the game, which means that I need to work on them anyways.

I basically am going to find myself remapping almost every map to accommodate for this screen size change if I want to keep the detail on the maps attractive and still grab the players attention. As it is, it is hard to grab that attention with so much space for the eyes to wander while playing.

Remapping is a lot of work, considering I have done it already and am still doing it for some maps here and there. It is not even the workload that bothers me, it is redesigning the world for a 3rd time that does. The world as it is right now is designed for a 16x12 tile view not a 25x15 tile view.

An alternative, to accomplish both, would be to have a frame while in the OW, that will disappear when you enter a battle or a cutscene. Such as something below (very basic idea)

I've played around with a few things, and actually, that "frame" thing is not a bad idea. For the overworld you could have that "framed" screen, maybe looking something like

and perhaps you could add some buttons or something to the empty space around it

but actually the really cool part would be the fact that you're switching from that "framed", to a full window screen. You could make a nice little visual animation when switching between interfaces that would create a nice effect. To illustrate what I mean, I compiled a little GIF.

Old December 6th, 2013 (12:57 AM).
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Nature: Relaxed
Luka managed to capture what I meant when I said the screen should be resized in the gif.
I think it looks great.

Either way, I think everyone would be okay with whatever you decide to do ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™.
Your amazing battle graphics more than make up for any issues that might occur with a larger screen size imo, should you decide to go that way.
Old December 7th, 2013 (04:21 PM).
Lead of Pokemon Frontiers

Nature: Docile
So I haven't "played" Pokemon since Gen 4, and I'm quite unhappy with some of the Gen 5 and Gen 6 Pokemon (Vanillite, Scrafty, and Slurpuff are a few examples). I'm contemplated redesigning these Pokemon for my fan game, but I'm still on the fence about it since I'm editing Pokemon based on my own opinions. It would be different if I was editing all of the Pokemon to fit a different theme, but as of now there are no plans to do that. Do you guys think I should tolerate the overly childish sprites to preserve the canon of the Pokemon?
Old December 7th, 2013 (04:44 PM).
ಥдಥ
Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
I would just stick with them. There is no reason to bastardize Nintendo's work because you don't like them. If you don't like them, exclude them from being obtainable.

SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
HARDCORE EDITION
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old December 7th, 2013 (05:04 PM).

Canon is only important if you care about it. You can do whatever you want with your game, including changing the appearance of Pokémon. I think the best advice is to make the game for yourself.

In the same situation, I personally would just tend to exclude Pokémon I don't like the look of, rather than try to tweak them (I have poor tweaking skills) or tolerate them (I don't need to because it's my game).
Old December 7th, 2013 (05:41 PM).
Lead of Pokemon Frontiers

Thanks both of you for your input, it's always good to get the opinion of both sides. Anyways, what I decided to do was to keep the Pokemon as is for now, but eventually update the graphics to take on a more realistic tone. This will include updating all Pokemon sprites and the tilesets, but it won't be until after I finish the game and release what you could call a "beta".

Again, thanks for the input.
Old January 25th, 2014 (03:41 PM).
Grinder

Hello guys!
I'm making a custom menu over the old one, so that I don't have to change many scripts.
Can you tell me what do you think?
http://i.imgur.com/S4L5UEM.jpg
I'm stuck because I may want to have a more B/W like menu.
Old January 25th, 2014 (04:31 PM).
#BAMFPokemonNerd

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Radical Raptr
Quote originally posted by Daruda:
Hello guys!
I'm making a custom menu over the old one, so that I don't have to change many scripts.
pretty solid, change the pokeball icons so they're less pixalated, and more fresh to go with the new style, and for the little icon to show the info or w/e at th 1st triangle, the edges of the icon should be cut off to mimic the triangle shape, as though it were behind it, and not just sitting on top of it

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old January 26th, 2014 (12:56 AM).
Grinder

Thanks Raven!
I don't really like these triangles, really, even the style of the black ones isn't fantastic.
What may be a problem is the size, the default one was 10 kb this one 40 kb and I noticed that it takes some time more that the old to open the menu. just some frame...
Old January 31st, 2014 (03:54 PM).
Actually not mad at all
Silver Tier

Nature: Jolly
Guys, do you have any ideas on how I should name an ability, exclusive to Delcatty, that doubles her special attack?
Old January 31st, 2014 (04:07 PM).

Feral
It sounds a little extreme, but it's the name of a homeless house-cats offspring. Essentialy a wild house-cat.

Pedigree
A cat with a proper lineage and non-random breeding, though not a perfect purebred.

Moggy
A cat with completely random lineage.
Old January 31st, 2014 (04:50 PM).
Actually not mad at all
Silver Tier

Hmm Pedigree sounds nice, I'm going to stick with that. Thanks! =) Most of Delcatty's attacks and abilities in the TCG have something to do with "Energy", so I tried to base the name of her ability on that too.
Old February 1st, 2014 (09:15 AM).

Hey everyone!
I need a name for a Fairy-type Thunder/Blizzard/FireBlast-move. (120 Power, 80 Accuracy, 5 PP)
Old February 1st, 2014 (11:54 AM).
Actually not mad at all
Silver Tier

Here are some ideas:
Astral Blast
Shooting Star
Energy Gale
Old February 1st, 2014 (01:46 PM).

Quote originally posted by Arma:
Here are some ideas:
Astral Blast
Shooting Star
Energy Gale
Gale honestly sounds awesome.
I think I'll use it together with my placeholder name Pixie Shot.

Pixie Gale

Awesome.
Thanks mate.
Old February 1st, 2014 (02:21 PM).
Lightning Yellow Creator

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Daruda:
Hello guys!
Looks good, though theres a couple of things which bother me. First, the exp text needs to be moved up or the box needs to be slightly taller, since the text is off the bottom edge of the box.

Also ,the font for the LV. text looks out of place with the rest of the text

A Pokemon Yellow remake, using HGSS Tiles, and the ability to obtain all Kanto Pokemon as well as their previous/later evolutions.

Old February 4th, 2014 (05:24 AM).
???

Hey! First post here!

How does this look like? (Don't count the sprites as they're not final)

Background credit: MidniteRemix from dA.
Attached Thumbnails
capture029.png‎  
Old February 4th, 2014 (02:13 PM).
Former Pokemon League Champion

Nature: Gentle
Hey im working on a project and i want to get some feedback so i have four questions first i have my starters being espion, eevee and umbreon (the pokemon your rival has is unchanged) if there is a better set of starters what would you suggest secondly i am making new maps for my hack with names such as Frost isle, Mt Flame etc using the unused land masses to the south of the hoenn region with a little header/town map editing using/modifying the unused fr/lg headers unused in emerald the whole point is to include pokemon not included in emerald such as gen 1/2 pokemon of specific types for instance fire types in mt flame and ice/water in frost isle with possible event pokemon such as the legendary trios of gen 1/2 Jirachi Celebi Mewtwo and such.

My next question is emerald doesnt include the sprites for the event pokemon or possible trainers i want to include such as red etc so how do i go about implementing new sprites in the overworld or should i just put them all in pokeballs and have them as wild battles or just straight up give them away? thirdly i am making a custom mart early on in the game in littleroot but i dont know what the values are for all the items so a link to a page where it is listed would be greatly appreciated

also last question i want to make a temporary evolution for Rayquaza kinda like an alternate form if thats possible or evolve by item and evolve back by the same item i think its a good idea idk what the sprites should look like i guess thats kinda the question i am not a talented spriter so i would prolly suck at making sprites anybody got an idea what i could go with or something like that

Old February 5th, 2014 (05:45 AM).

Quote originally posted by JordanB500:
Hey im working on a project and i want to get some feedback so i have four questions first i have my starters being espion, eevee and umbreon (the pokemon your rival has is unchanged) if there is a better set of starters what would you suggest secondly i am making new maps for my hack with names such as Frost isle, Mt Flame etc using the unused land masses to the south of the hoenn region with a little header/town map editing using/modifying the unused fr/lg headers unused in emerald the whole point is to include pokemon not included in emerald such as gen 1/2 pokemon of specific types for instance fire types in mt flame and ice/water in frost isle with possible event pokemon such as the legendary trios of gen 1/2 Jirachi Celebi Mewtwo and such.

My next question is emerald doesnt include the sprites for the event pokemon or possible trainers i want to include such as red etc so how do i go about implementing new sprites in the overworld or should i just put them all in pokeballs and have them as wild battles or just straight up give them away? thirdly i am making a custom mart early on in the game in littleroot but i dont know what the values are for all the items so a link to a page where it is listed would be greatly appreciated

also last question i want to make a temporary evolution for Rayquaza kinda like an alternate form if thats possible or evolve by item and evolve back by the same item i think its a good idea idk what the sprites should look like i guess thats kinda the question i am not a talented spriter so i would prolly suck at making sprites anybody got an idea what i could go with or something like that
You're talking about ROM hacking. This isn't the ROM Hacking section. I don't mind you asking for design tips, but when you start asking about how to actually technically do things, you need to ask in the appropriate place.
Old February 5th, 2014 (08:29 AM).

im sorry i didnt mean to suggest that i was asking for rom hacking help i simply mean if i were to continue modifying my hack rom what would you suggest like throw some ideas out there that kinda thing not asking how to do things if anything im asking what should i do if that still somehow counts as asking for help with rom hacking then ill just stop posting here and leave it at that

Old February 5th, 2014 (08:53 AM).

No no, as I said, I'm fine with you asking here for inspiration and tips. It's just when you talk about modifying headers or wanting a list of item IDs or whether it's possible to temporarily evolve Rayquaza that it strays into the technical part of ROM hacking. I know those things weren't the focus of your post, though.

Given that pretty much everyone here uses the Essentials kit to make their games, if you ask something even vaguely technical, you're likely to have people telling you things about Essentials, which you really don't need to know. It's best to avoid that if you don't need it.
Old February 5th, 2014 (11:28 AM).

oh yeah i forgot i asked for the id/hex values of the items

Old February 6th, 2014 (10:43 AM).
Starting with Pkmn Essentials!

Just a quick question! What specific software do you use so as to edit images with a height of 30.000 pixels or more? Photoshop has a height limit.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links