Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development
Reload this Page Quick Design Questions

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Old February 7th, 2014 (04:48 AM).
Blah

Gimp let me work on my 40k+ tileset. I suggest paring it down though, don't you have to scroll by hand in RMXP at that size? I did.
Old February 7th, 2014 (05:35 AM).
Starting with Pkmn Essentials!

Quote originally posted by lauerolus:
Gimp let me work on my 40k+ tileset. I suggest paring it down though, don't you have to scroll by hand in RMXP at that size? I did.
Yes, it's a little bit boring to scroll at that size. But I use most of the tiles included in the tileset, so I can't pare it down. Thanks for suggesting Gimp. I will use Gimp then.
Old February 7th, 2014 (08:32 AM).

Nature: Gentle
Woah, somehow I didn't notice this thread until last night. I'm glad it exists. ^o^

I could use some second/third/fourth/etc opinions on my Player Characters. Their sprites are modified from existing sprites since I'm studying and learning the style right now.
The girl's fairly easy; I'm just kind of waffling around on names for her.

I'm kind of waffling between Nasrin and Dahlia for her default name (with some others floating around in the back of my mind), though I'm kind of leaning more toward the former as time goes on.

The boy's default name is Pinky, but I'm a little undecided about what pants colour he should have, and whether or not he should be dragging around a scarf/wrap. When his character design originally popped into my head, it was a feather boa. I decided to tone down the fabulousness a bit, though now that we can apparently do different forms for trainers, I might play around with him having an optional feather boa at a later date. Also, one of the major villains wears a scarf, so having him wear one too would just be a nice little aesthetic parallel.

Personally, I'm almost 100% against doing the bright pink pants after seeing all the possible versions together. My favourites are either soft/dusty pink pants with a green scarf, or green pants with a dusty pink scarf. I'm also a little fond of the blue pants with green/dusty scarf designs. With the exception of disliking the bright pink pants version, I think I like all the non-scarf designs equally, but I tend to prefer the scarves over the non-scarves.

Just for fun, the aforementioned villain, Ace, and a gym leader, Rocquette. Yeah, one of Rocquette's hands is pretty awkward.... I should probably fix that....
Old February 9th, 2014 (06:12 AM).
The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon
How do I create a warp into a forest?

Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=231549&ref=61528
Get a Free PS3, this is no joke: http://www.YourPS34free.com/index.php?ref=5580831
Old February 9th, 2014 (12:40 PM).
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Konekodemon:
Take at a look at the events in the example maps. There is an adequate number of examples you can copy-paste or analyze.
Old February 9th, 2014 (01:34 PM).
The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Crystal Tier

Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon
I did look and it wasn't there.

Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=231549&ref=61528
Get a Free PS3, this is no joke: http://www.YourPS34free.com/index.php?ref=5580831
Old February 9th, 2014 (03:03 PM).
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote originally posted by Konekodemon:
Any door inside a building which leads elsewhere (outside, another floor, etc.) will work just fine. Or try learning how to use RMXP - a basic "Transfer Player" event command will do.

In any case, this isn't a design question; it's a technical question.
Old February 9th, 2014 (03:50 PM).

Quote originally posted by Maruno:
Any door inside a building which leads elsewhere (outside, another floor, etc.) will work just fine. Or try learning how to use RMXP - a basic "Transfer Player" event command will do.

In any case, this isn't a design question; it's a technical question.
Off-topic, but still; Couldn't we make a "Quick Technical Questions"-thread as well?
It'd be better than having 5 new threads everyday asking simple questions, and people could search the thread for previously answered questions.
Old February 9th, 2014 (04:09 PM).
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote originally posted by tImE:
Off-topic, but still; Couldn't we make a "Quick Technical Questions"-thread as well?
It'd be better than having 5 new threads everyday asking simple questions, and people could search the thread for previously answered questions.
"Quick" technical questions usually aren't. These questions are usually asked in a general form, which need clarifying before help can be provided, they may well ask about something major which requires a lot of discussion (because people generally don't know how "quick" their question actually is), people could provide alternative solutions, there could be follow-up questions or suggestions for improvements/alterations to the original concept, etc. Plus searching for a previously asked topic is much easier if you can also scan through thread titles (which the rules say should be named appropriately) rather than just posts.

On the other hand, design is almost entirely subjective and opinion-based, which generally makes such questions much quicker to respond to (one opinion per person per post).

So no.
Old February 13th, 2014 (02:40 AM).
???

Nature: Docile
I need help with the name of my gym leaders, I gave many of them good names, but two remain.

I need help with the name of the badges too.

Here is the list:

Sylvianne (Female): First gym leader Grass type, basically based on a forest saver(people who protect the forests).
Bagde: The design is finaliased, though I haven't thought the name (need help).

Colerta (Female): Seoncd gym leader Fire type, based on a high class chef.
Badge: Ignite Badge.

Chill (Male): Third gym leader Ice type, A very cool popular man, works in a rescue squad.
Badge: Cool badge.

(Male) Fourth gym leader is a Poison type gym leader based on an alchemist, I need names for him.
Badge: Venom/Concoction badge. (need suggestions).

Derek (Male): Fifth gym leader Dark type, he is based on a magican.
Bagde: Need a little help with the name and design.

Rodlea (Female): Sixth gym leader Water type, she is based on an angeler (and is an actress too!).
Badge: Lure Badge.

(Female) Seventh Gym leader is a Normal type gym leader, she is based on an artist, I don't want to give her the name 'Kala' because it doesn't suit her look.
Badge: Pallete badge.

Smith (Male): Eighth gym leader, based on a blacksmith.
Badge: Anvil Bagde.

If you feel like anything needs to be changed just tell me.
Old February 13th, 2014 (05:45 AM).
Actually not mad at all
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by The m:
I need help with the name of my gym leaders, I gave many of them good names, but two remain.

I need help with the name of the badges too.

Here is the list:

Sylvianne (Female): First gym leader Grass type, basically based on a forest saver(people who protect the forests).
Badge: The design is finaliased, though I haven't thought the name (need help). Root Badge
Root Badge, Stump badge, Petal Badge, you name it. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a name for a grass badge, just pick something nature related..." I really like the sound of Petal badge though.

(Male) Fourth gym leader is a Poison type gym leader based on an alchemist, I need names for him.
Badge: Venom/Concoction badge. (need suggestions).
For the leader, what about Ian (from Ion) or Sith/Cid (from Acid) As for the badge. Something like the Sludge badge or Venom badge should do the trick, right?

Derek (Male): Fifth gym leader Dark type, he is based on a magican.
Badge: Need a little help with the name and design. Since he's a magician, why not mane it the trick, show or stunt badge? you can also name it the night badge, and shape it after the moon

(Female) Seventh Gym leader is a Normal type gym leader, she is based on an artist, I don't want to give her the name 'Kala' because it doesn't suit her look.
Badge: Pallete badge.
How about Regina or Mallory?

If you feel like anything needs to be changed just tell me.
Suggestions are in bold, hope this helps you!
Old February 14th, 2014 (01:39 AM).
???

Nature: Docile
Cid Sounds awesome!

Ok from now,
Frst badge is Root Badge,
Fourth gym leader is cid and the fourth badge is Sludge badge,
And Seventh gym leader is Mallory.

Thanks for the suggestions :D!
Old February 20th, 2014 (06:57 PM).
Champion of Sinnoh

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Sales_Kital
I'm currently having trouble comming up with a base idea for the fire starter for my Pokemon Fangame, it's a Fire-Fairy type and I just can't think of anything. Anyone have any ideas that could help?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old February 23rd, 2014 (11:28 AM).

Nature: Gentle
Quote originally posted by Sales_Kital:
I'm currently having trouble comming up with a base idea for the fire starter for my Pokemon Fangame, it's a Fire-Fairy type and I just can't think of anything. Anyone have any ideas that could help?
Perhaps you could look into fairy/faerie mythology and get ideas from there? There's a lot of really neat fae lore.
Old February 23rd, 2014 (11:31 AM).
#BAMFPokemonNerd

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Radical Raptr
you could make it straight fire as a first form, and have it be sort of like a fire fly
then have it evolve into a sort of cocoon type of thing like larvitar/pupitar, and be fire/fairy, then have it evovle into a dragon-esq hybrid and be fire/fairy, and be a sort of teaser like charizard (being fire/flying but looking akin to a dragon)

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old February 24th, 2014 (12:36 AM).
I'm back ...

You could look at how Ninti does it for help.
  • Fire starters I believe are based around the Chinese Zodiac so for example Fairy type could coincide with a rabbit or a sheep.
  • Starters seem to share a general theme too if your stuck on ideas. The 4th gen starters are based around mythology and 6th gen has a theif/mage/warrior reationship. My starters are based on different modes of transportation for example because its something I'm emphasising in my game. If you want to go down the route of theme, see if you can make a connection between your other two starters and then see if that connection can support a third entity.
  • Fairy is a pretty good typing for ideas as well due to it being connected to magic. Providing a quote from the guidebook in case you have doubt,
    "In many cultures, it has been thought that magical creatures had a weakness to iron. Perhaps it's no wonder that the mystical Fairy type seems similarly weak to the cold, hard touch of Steel?"
    This makes for a really easy springboard into ideas. First thought that comes to mind is clearly a phoenix. After that, a will-o-wisp comes second. Hell, combine the two to have a phoenix Pokemon that guides people to something cheerful.
Old February 25th, 2014 (04:32 PM). Edited February 25th, 2014 by Rayd12smitty.
Shadow Maker

When mega evolution came out I decided to make mega forms of the starter Pokemon in my game since they only had two forms, and didn't want to change their official evolution lines. I have the stats and designs all figured out, but want to make custom abilities for them and wanted feedback on my ideas. I feel like some of these might be too overpowered, and want to know your ideas/opinions on them.

Toxicroak: Intoxicate

Description: Whenever a Pokemon comes in direct contact, or this Pokemon contacts another, it is badly poisoned.

Notes: The poison effect is the same as if toxic was used, increasing the damage caused each turn.

Weavile: Demon's Deal

Description: Dark and Ice type moves deal 2 times damage, but cost 25% of the Pokemon's HP per use.

Notes: I was originally going to give Ice and Dark type moves priority too, but feel that would be too overpowered, even if the health loss was boosted to 33%.

Xatu: Meditation

Description: Super effective moves deal regular damage, normal damaging moves deal half damage, and not very effective moves become ineffective against this Pokemon.

Notes: So basically this pokemon now has no weaknesses. Every damage state is bumped down a level.
Old February 25th, 2014 (07:31 PM).

I like these. I am curious on how you will go about implementing these into Essentials, though.
Old February 26th, 2014 (04:39 AM).

In my game, I have a system, based on dive, where Fly no longer teleports the player, but rather makes them fly into the sky, where there's a sky-overworld.

My question is, do you think sky-battles should be forced? (I mean you can only use Pokémon that can fly or levitate. They don't need the ability or type, just the design for it.)
Or should I do it like with surf in the original games, everything is allowed?

And a follow-up question:
If I end up using skybattlers only in the sky, should I do the same with surfing, so you can't use your Fire-type, or Pokémon that can't swim?
Old February 26th, 2014 (05:30 AM).
--------------------

I like the sound of Weaviles ability... I'm always up for more "complicated" abilities, than just boosts speed or paralyzes if touched... It's too basic in my opinion... But are the new mega evos going to have their own abilities, like these, or just a select few?
Old February 26th, 2014 (11:20 AM).
#BAMFPokemonNerd

Quote originally posted by tImE:
In my game, I have a system, based on dive, where Fly no longer teleports the player, but rather makes them fly into the sky, where there's a sky-overworld.

My question is, do you think sky-battles should be forced? (I mean you can only use Pokémon that can fly or levitate. They don't need the ability or type, just the design for it.)
Or should I do it like with surf in the original games, everything is allowed?

And a follow-up question:
If I end up using skybattlers only in the sky, should I do the same with surfing, so you can't use your Fire-type, or Pokémon that can't swim?
I'd say split the two, have it be like in surf where wild pokemon show up and you can use w/e to battle, but then there are sky trainers floating around itching for a battle where you only have sky battles, instead of a traditional battle

Old February 26th, 2014 (12:45 PM).

Quote originally posted by Saving Raven:
I'd say split the two, have it be like in surf where wild pokemon show up and you can use w/e to battle, but then there are sky trainers floating around itching for a battle where you only have sky battles, instead of a traditional battle
I would go with this. It seems more logical and fun. I WOULD suggest the same for Surf, but I feel Pokemon like Lanturn would be OP.
Old February 26th, 2014 (01:14 PM).

Hm...
As I have yet to script the Sky Battle System, I'll stick with the standard for now, but having only the trainers be Sky Battles seem logical from a gameplay viewpoint.

Thanks for the input!
Old February 26th, 2014 (01:33 PM).
#BAMFPokemonNerd

Quote originally posted by joeyhugg:
I would go with this. It seems more logical and fun. I WOULD suggest the same for Surf, but I feel Pokemon like Lanturn would be OP.
the problem with having the same thing for surf is that there are no water battles and water trainers...at least sky battles and sky trainers is a real thing

Old February 26th, 2014 (03:00 PM).

Quote originally posted by Saving Raven:
the problem with having the same thing for surf is that there are no water battles and water trainers...at least sky battles and sky trainers is a real thing
Why should the restriction be what Nintendo has made or hasn't made?

The scripting issue remains for both and they would use the exact same code, just copy-pasted and edited.

I've thought Pokémon like Charmander or Golem fighting in the middle of the ocean ridiculous since generation 1, which is why I had the thought in the first place.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)