The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime > Episode Discussion

Notices

Episode Discussion Keeping up with the upcoming and currently airing Japanese and English episodes? This is where you can discuss each of the episodes respectively.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:30 PM
Anna
Mad Queen
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
@Rilence You're right about it being a bit rushed- it was kind of like watching a "Best of: Pokémon Origins". I would have liked it to be somewhat extended- expansion on the Rocket side of things, more gym battles, more of Red and Green's relationship honestly. I'm excited to watch with subs because their dynamic is really interesting.

@Spino is is bad that I rarely shuffle my team? xD; idk tho. Red is more fun right now, for the older Pokéfans I think. But Ash has always appealed to the younger kids. He's gotten rather stale with time for those that continue to watch, but people can still connect with him easily. If Red's journey dragged on as long as Ash's I'm sure people would be saying the same things about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LusoTrainer View Post
How should anyone expect that after watching the trailer?

Because they advertised this for those who played Pokémon Red/Blue/Green.
Look, you can bugger off if you're going to derail the thread just to argue with me. 1) The trailer showed a shot Red and Charizard in a watery-blue place with something glowing blue as they floated in a circle around it. Like wth do you think that's going to be, dude. 2) They advertised this as an animated rendition of the first gen-games, and pulled in some XY to show how far they've come. If they were doing this purely for the reminiscence, it wouldn't have come out near the climax of the XY hype.

- Aquacorde Themes -

- Aqua/Magma Fanclub -

- RT/AH Fanclub -

- RWBY Fanclub -

- Watch-Along Club -

- Pairs - Family - Lovelies -

- Theme - Av Art - Sig Gif -

The Choice Is Made
The Task Is Set
Old October 4th, 2013, 03:09 AM
LusoTrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternallyAnna View Post
Look, you can bugger off if you're going to derail the thread just to argue with me.
This is a discussion forum, and that's what I'm doing: discussing. And could you point out which part if my reply is derailing the thread?

Quote:
1) The trailer showed a shot Red and Charizard in a watery-blue place with something glowing blue as they floated in a circle around it. Like wth do you think that's going to be, dude.
The trailer showed Red and Charizard under water with a glow in the background. How is that an indication of anything remotely close to what happened?

Quote:
2) They advertised this as an animated rendition of the first gen-games, and pulled in some XY to show how far they've come.
Or to pull an advertising move for the latest games on those who fell for the following messages:

"To those who played the very first Pokémon games..."

"Pokémon Red/Blue will be retold in four brand-new special episodes..."

I understand that they had to change/adapt certain things when converting it to an anime, but that crap with Charizard certainly didn't appear on my Pokémon Red.

Quote:
If they were doing this purely for the reminiscence, it wouldn't have come out near the climax of the XY hype.
Why not? The trailer itself certainly revived the interest for those who played the first games and didn't accompany the franchise for some reason or the other. Anyway, none of that excuses that they advertised this as a special anime adaptation of the first games and secretly shoved in something of the newer ones on the series climax, therefore ruining the whole purpose.
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
Alright, so The Origin built up all this excitement, and then what happened? Did you watch the anime? Did you find yourself enjoying every moment retold mostly faithfully right up to the part where Mega Charizard X appeared? That something like this would somehow "wreck" the adaptation to people would baffle me. Maybe some people really liked it excluding that part, but all I can see is the seething hate at such an "OMG UNFAITHFUL" appearance. I don't see how it "ruined the whole purpose" of the show either—you got a BAMF moment out of a million moments worth talking about. Don't get hung up over this of all things.

Okay, so it's also a hidden plug into X & Y. Do you know what else we got from that? We got several things that were implied but never explicitly stated until now—Mr. Dr. Fuji's involvement in researching Mewtwo, that Dr. Mr. Fuji conducted research on mega-evolution in Kalos… so we got expanded canon. We also have little reason to doubt that Mr. Dr. Fuji has been on Faraway Island. For those who really care about Pokémon, I'd say this is pretty valuable. (If you like to say that you care only about R/B/Y and would fully expect The Origin to be completely faithful, then you probably shouldn't be touching Pokémon anymore.)

And if you're going to be going on and on about how unfaithful the adaptation was to the original games, you may as well complain that Brock was wearing a shirt.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old October 4th, 2013, 06:06 AM
LusoTrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post
Did you find yourself enjoying every moment retold mostly faithfully right up to the part where Mega Charizard X appeared?
For the most part, yes.

Quote:
That something like this would somehow "wreck" the adaptation to people would baffle me. Maybe some people really liked it excluding that part, but all I can see is the seething hate at such an "OMG UNFAITHFUL" appearance.
Probably because that's the only thing that felt out of place and shoved in?

Quote:
I don't see how it "ruined the whole purpose" of the show either—you got a BAMF moment out of a million moments worth talking about. Don't get hung up over this of all things.
It prevents me from liking this as a complete work. And it does "ruin" the whole purpose when that was to portray the story of the first game(s).

Quote:
(If you like to say that you care only about R/B/Y and would fully expect The Origin to be completely faithful, then you probably shouldn't be touching Pokémon anymore.)
Why? As I said, "I understand that they had to change/adapt certain things when converting it to an anime" but that doesn't apply to what they did with Charizard.

Quote:
And if you're going to be going on and on about how unfaithful the adaptation was to the original games, you may as well complain that Brock was wearing a shirt.
See above.

One thing that I was very pleased with was the animation of the first and fourth episodes and the way they portrayed Pokémon as animals. Also, no sunglasses, comic relief or talking abilities.

Last edited by LusoTrainer; October 4th, 2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old October 4th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Makoto Tachibana
Mako-chan

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Alright, so The Origin built up all this excitement, and then what happened? Did you watch the anime? Did you find yourself enjoying every moment retold mostly faithfully right up to the part where Mega Charizard X appeared? That something like this would somehow "wreck" the adaptation to people would baffle me. Maybe some people really liked it excluding that part, but all I can see is the seething hate at such an "OMG UNFAITHFUL" appearance. I don't see how it "ruined the whole purpose" of the show either—you got a BAMF moment out of a million moments worth talking about. Don't get hung up over this of all things.

Okay, so it's also a hidden plug into X & Y. Do you know what else we got from that? We got several things that were implied but never explicitly stated until now—Mr. Dr. Fuji's involvement in researching Mewtwo, that Dr. Mr. Fuji conducted research on mega-evolution in Kalos… so we got expanded canon. We also have little reason to doubt that Mr. Dr. Fuji has been on Faraway Island. For those who really care about Pokémon, I'd say this is pretty valuable. (If you like to say that you care only about R/B/Y and would fully expect The Origin to be completely faithful, then you probably shouldn't be touching Pokémon anymore.)

I agree with your points, a little unrelated note but worth mentioning. XY was stated to attract older fans from Gen I. That brings it to my another point, Origins is actually promoting XY to those Gen Wunners, they are actually more like 'borrowing' the characters of RGB series to promote XY, that was why they implemented those XY elements in Origins.

CSS originally by laugh
Old October 4th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Scotash!

Man, I loved it. Wish it'd been a full series, but for what it was if was brilliant!
Old October 4th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Spinosaurus
Your favorite Pokemon sucks.

Man you're complaining about a small thing out of your comfort zone when the real nostalgia killer here was the champion battle. Extremely disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoto Tachibana View Post
I agree with your points, a little unrelated note but worth mentioning. XY was stated to attract older fans from Gen I. That brings it to my another point, Origins is actually promoting XY to those Gen Wunners, they are actually more like 'borrowing' the characters of RGB series to promote XY, that was why they implemented those XY elements in Origins.
Source on that underlined statement? Also can this stupid gen wunner term die already? It only makes you look extremely arrogant. :/
Old October 4th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Feroniamon
Harmony of Storms

Nature: Modest
I have watched the first two episodes only, but overall I'm very pleased with Pokémon Origins. Because it has a thing, which the current anime is not very accurate: Strong game reference. Red looks cute in this style and it's good he catched any of the first 150 Pokémon and used a shifted team in every situation. How smart could it be?

Cubone event looks more accurate than in the game and experienced with ghosts and the "white hand" rumor - and the two people with the white hand-saying are ACUALLY ghosts. Oh, and the Brock battle, I still remember my first days with Pokémon when I was a rookie.

But I have never expected to see Mewtwo beated up and... Mega-Charizard X. *sigh* I guess the showing of a Mega Evolution outside the game reference is not only another foreshadowing for X/Y, but shows the bond between Red and Charizard, too.
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:44 PM
LusoTrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
Man you're complaining about a small thing out of your comfort zone when the real nostalgia killer here was the champion battle. Extremely disappointing.
I think this special could use a couple more episodes to flesh out the league and the capture of the lengendaries. Also of note is the absence of Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
Source on that underlined statement? Also can this stupid gen wunner term die already? It only makes you look extremely arrogant. :/
Arrogant and childish.
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Eevee
╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Eevee
My boyfriend and I watched a few episodes yesterday. I must say, it's very different from the original anime we all grew up with.

Spoiler:
The Pokemon actually make animal noises this time instead of just their name. It takes a while to get used to but I think I actually like it better. xD

I also like how they add the save and load feature at the beginning and end of the episodes. It makes it feel like the game a bit more.

The battles are much more...violent than the original anime which kinda shocked me. They were very good still though of course I think they went with the manga this time around which is nice.

The animation is nice, the music is beautiful. Wow.

The Cubone part made me cry ;____;

Old October 4th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Lucreciatwo
A Mewtwo Lover

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via AIM to Lucreciatwo Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lucreciatwo Send a message via Yahoo to Lucreciatwo Send a message via Skype™ to Lucreciatwo
I know he's the game version, I guess I'm just not use to that version of Mewtwo.
I grew up more with the anime version of him from the previous films.
One question still puzzles me: Why didn't Red have the Masterball to catch Mewtwo?

Last edited by Lucreciatwo; October 4th, 2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old October 4th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Netto Azure
<<38th Generation Leaf Knight>>

Nature: Gentle
Watched the Special 2 days ago. I was pretty excited and quite pleased with it.

But of course the major issue is there's not enough time given for it to properly tell the story. But still for a 4 episode special, I guess this is the best they can do.

Though I would agree that a 12 episode special would have fleshed out the reinterpretaion more.

“Sun, are you really all right? Does it hurt? Do you need help? Are you sure?”

Old October 5th, 2013, 02:35 AM
Magic

It was alright, just farrrrr too rushed.

The battle with Green, alone, could have been a fantastic single episode. There was also a severe lack of character development for Red - he was literally the same boy from Gym 1 to Gym 8. The fact he was being overpowered and then pulled it back despite a type disadvantage was also very Ash Ketchum of him...
Old October 5th, 2013, 02:43 AM
Famon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Fox View Post
It was alright, just farrrrr too rushed.

The battle with Green, alone, could have been a fantastic single episode. There was also a severe lack of character development for Red - he was literally the same boy from Gym 1 to Gym 8. The fact he was being overpowered and then pulled it back despite a type disadvantage was also very Ash Ketchum of him...
What else can you expect ???
They tried to put a 26 episode story in only 4 episode , Off course it was rushed.
Even a rushed full Battle take atleast Two 23 minute episode
I think it did well for a 2 hour special !!!
Unlike BW series , It had so many time yet they rushed the series for something pathetic like Da Journey .

Old October 5th, 2013, 02:51 AM
LusoTrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucreciatwo View Post
One question still puzzles me: Why didn't Red have the Masterball to catch Mewtwo?
He didn't receive it. It was being developed but it wasn't finished. All he got from Silph Co. was Lapras. Also, it would make the climax with Mewtwo useless (although between what we got, I'm not sure which is the worst...).
Old October 5th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
I must say, I'm quite impressed about this OVA. As expected, it was going to be rushed to the point where they briefly mention other parts from the games and mostly focus on only the important ones (Red and Green's first battle and champion battle, the first gym battle, Lavender Town, Giovanni, and Mewtwo). They did an excellent job at portraying Green as a jerk, Giovanni as a greedy business corporate rather than a generic villain like in the normal anime, and Mewtwo as a savage beast as mentioned from its dex entries. The fact that Dr. Fuji's involvement in Mega Evolutions may hint his reprised appearance in XY or more of his journal entries. I'm surprised that none of you guys aren't arguing about how Cubone's dex entry wasn't implanted to the Lavender Town episode.
Old October 5th, 2013, 06:40 AM
BubbleBeams
Defeating Champions Since 1999

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to BubbleBeams
I'm very impressed with this special. And I wish that this was what they had done for an anime right from the beginning. I'm glad the Pokemon don't just say their names (because I always thought that was unrealistic) and I absolutely loved the battle animation.
It did feel a bit rushed but I'm not upset about it. There was way too much to squeeze into just 4 episodes. I was expecting it to be a bit rushed.

I thought it was cool how they threw in Mega Charizard X at the end. I thought they did a great job of staying true to the games but I'm glad they implemented newer knowledge. Of course, I don't doubt the intentions of trying to advertise a feature of the new games, but I still thought it was pretty cool.

I really wish they would have done the anime like this right from the get-go and with Red instead of Ash. I'd probably still be a loyal watcher.

&
Ultimate Monotype Challenge: Ground
LeafGreen (8/8)|HeartGold (0/16)|Emerald (8/8)|Platinum (5/8)|White 2 (0/8)

Paired with ShadowExcadrill
Old October 5th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Famon

I don't get why anybody be angry about Mega charizard X at the Last moment.
After all , Red was battling Mewtwo who happen to be the strongest Pokemon in Generation I !!!
Does People really expect Charizard to beat Mewtwo without a Plot-Armor???
And If Anime can use Mega Charizard X as Plot-Armor & Advertisement then why shouldn't they do it ???
The Current Anime should its example !!!
BW Series could had a Triple-Battle Tournament which Ash win in order to Promote Triple-Battle & Market Unova Starter .
But The BW series didn't !
Instate They used idiotic way for Marketing !!!

Old October 5th, 2013, 10:33 AM
LusoTrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famon View Post
I don't get why anybody be angry about Mega charizard X at the Last moment.
After all , Red was battling Mewtwo who happen to be the strongest Pokemon in Generation I !!!
What?! Nobody ever needed any mega whatever to beat or catch Mewtwo on the first games (or their remakes). I know I didn't.
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famon View Post
Even Rattata can beat Mewtwo so why not normal Charizard?
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:17 AM
BUKKØW

Nature: Brave
I loved this mini series i wish the series we have now was in this form of drawing, also LOVED THAT THE POKEMON DIDNT SAY THERE NAMES AND USED THEIR CRIES LIKE THEY SHOULD HAVE ALWAYS. The series needed something like this and hopefully the kalos is the last series for ash and the kindergarten style we have had to deal with since day1.

3DS FC: 5429-9023-9555
Current Shinys: NONE
FRIEND SAFARI:
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Sheep
foxy foxy whats it gonna be

Nature: Timid
Just watched the final two parts.

Spoiler:
This was an amazing little special. The animation was a bit wonky at first but the further they got into the OVA the better it got. I almost cried over Cubone and its mother during the second episode, and the battle against Mewtwo was fantastic. I really, really want to replay R/B now. :)
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Famon

So How much TV Rating did this special got ???

Old October 5th, 2013, 03:43 PM
TheFuturePokemon
Natural.....

Just finished watching all 4 parts. Only bad thing was that it was too short and it felt like they skipped his whole adventure.
Old October 6th, 2013, 02:56 AM
Nauje
Hmm.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Just finished watching all four episodes.

This was way too short to properly experience Red's adventure but they did flesh out the more important bits however so I'm pleased with that. Well except the Elite 4 and the Champion battle, man I was very disappointed with that. I was hoping to see a full episode dedicated to Red and Green battling or at least a full episode in the Pokemon League but meh, that's the limitations that four episodes would give you. I like how the Pokemon didn't repeat their names and instead had animal-like speech, that was a nice touch. Also that Bite from Squirtle was vicious.

It was also good to see the anime touching the subject of death, something that would never happen in the main series.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links