Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 10th, 2013 (09:57 PM).
CoffeeDrink
Weapon of Choice: Fire 2

Nature: Bold
Quote originally posted by chuckleslucifer:
I think Haxorus shouldn't be a dragon type, it doesn't look like one and its typing should had followed its pre-evolutions.
All of the 'Ax' family were Dragon type. Maybe you were thinking of Tyranitar, koff~

Anyways, I really love Koffing, and I think that the third generation games (Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald) were the worst additions to the series overall. Pokemon Versions added 5 (plus one) legendary Pokemon, where as the third generation decided to add 8 (plus two)! That's a straight up double. Not to mention the different 'forms' we're being cursed with because of Deoxys moon-rock habit, koffi~

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old October 11th, 2013 (01:18 AM).
Peitharchia
& having to receive it

A ton of people may disagree with me here, but… in my opinion, Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 are one of the worst games that GameFreak has ever created. :( When I was playing, they felt quite the same as their predecessors. Most locations remained the same, many of the gym leaders remained pretty much the same, and the antagonists remained the same as well. Sure, there may have been a few changes here and there (mainly in the storyline), but is there anything else other than that? One thing that they could have done is introduce a few evolutions to some of the older Pokémon, or maybe at least give us a different selection of starters. But they haven't done any of that. D: To be honest, I would've accepted it more if they, instead of sequels, went ahead with the "Pokémon Gray" idea and made a third installation to the series.
Old October 11th, 2013 (03:18 AM).
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by CoffeeDrink:
All of the 'Ax' family were Dragon type. Maybe you were thinking of Tyranitar, koff~
None of the Tyranitar family were Dragon-type. They were rock/ground -> rock/ground -> rock/dark.

I forgot to add a few more points of view on the series that I have:
  • For me, battles that don't allow to gain experience are a complete waste of time. That's why I don't understand the appeal of Battle Frontiers in the slightest.
  • I hate that in Generation 5, HMs no longer require badges. I get that it's a good idea in theory, but now the problem is finding the HMs. In previous games, when you got a badge that allowed the use of a certain HM, you knew that the HM itself wasn't very far away. Now, good luck finding them all without a guide or wasting a lot of time.
  • The only DS games where the touchscreen was used well were Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. Why? Because you could choose what to display, like your team's status or the map (very convenient when you're hunting for roamers) , or a lot of other things. I thought displaying the menu at all times like in HG/SS was unnecessary, and since most of the time I play alone, the C-Gear in Generation 5 felt like a complete waste of a screen.
Old October 11th, 2013 (03:01 PM). Edited October 11th, 2013 by zexzeben.
zexzeben

Idk if this is true or not but many people dont like gen 4 for many reasons but actually from what I've seen more people like it than dislike on sites like serebii forums but here's a list of reason why I think Gen 4 was revolutionary:

Remake of HG and SS: These games are so popular and what's not to like? They have content to keep you busy for a long time.
Introducing the Battle Frontier: Wait. That was introduced in Gen III. Yes I know that but the Gen IV Battle Frontier was completely different (One can argue that either is better than the other) but basically it added to the content already in the game and provided the player with a more strategy based in-game activity.
New Pokemon: One of the biggest arguments is that a lot of pokemon received much needed evolutions like Electivire/Magmortar/Mamoswine/Tangrowth etc., as well as pre-evos like Mime Jr. It also introduced some new and cool Legendaries and my favorite include the ba Darkrai, Manaphy, Giratina and of course, the omnipotent Arceus.
More Ways to Play!: Aside from the Battle Frontier, there's the Elite Four, rematching them and the Gym Leaders, Bug-Catching Contest, hanging out in the Underground Region collecting and burying stuff, Safari Zones and so much more!
Storyline: Maybe it's just me that appreciates this but the storylines in all Gen 4 games have a fantastic plot that extends past the completion of the Elite Four while in Emerald all you really have after is obtaining the Weather Trio, Regis and Eon Pokemon. In HG and SS you have 2 regions to explore and in Platinum and the island featuring the Survival, Fight and Resort Areas.
Phew my shpiel is done. Hopefully this opens the eyes of someone who dislikes gen 4 and becomes appreciative of its magnificence :/. P/HG/SS are still my top pokemon games and I still prefer them over Gens 3 and 5.
Old October 11th, 2013 (03:03 PM).
CoffeeDrink
Weapon of Choice: Fire 2

Nature: Bold
Quote originally posted by SaniOKh:
None of the Tyranitar family were Dragon-type. They were rock/ground -> rock/ground -> rock/dark.
I know this, koff~

He said that Haxorus shouldn't be a dragon, and should be typed like it's predecessors (all three are dragons). Tyranitar was the quickest Pokemon I could think of that changed it's type at the end of three evolutions, so I assumed he was mixing up his Pokemon, koffi~

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old October 11th, 2013 (03:44 PM).
Whyvile
Toot your horns

Nature: Lax
I really like some "weak" Pokemon, like Dunsparce, Butterfree, Chimeco...
Old October 11th, 2013 (03:49 PM). Edited October 11th, 2013 by Elite Overlord LeSabre™.
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Oh, I'm going to have fun with this.
  • Lucario, Arcanine, and Charizard are overrated and quite unattractive to boot.
  • I despise Red and think he's the most overrated character in the franchise. Tell me, why would someone who has an unevolved Pokemon on his team be treated almost as a god?
  • I plan to use a team of entirely old Pokemon in X/Y.
  • Hoenn is my least favorite region.
  • I didn't like HG/SS nearly as much as G/S/C. They lacked a certain charm that the old games had.
  • I do not like that Pokemon massaging feature in X/Y.
  • I didn't like the Pokemon following you in HG/SS either.
  • The anime is an embarrassment to the franchise.
  • Pokemon Centers are blatant ripoffs of Red Roof Inns. Look at the color of the roof for proof.
  • The franchise needs more cars.
  • I don't plan on using Mega Evos except where the game requires it.
  • Pikachu scares me in the same way that the creepy old guy down the street does.
  • I want the evil team storline to revolve around some financial fraud scheme rather than this grandiose "take over the world/change the world" stuff.

And there's probably more but I'm tired right now lol
l

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes

Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP

Picture credit: Apple Cakes on deviantArt
Old October 13th, 2013 (12:17 AM).
Lilikoi Juice
I'm on Youtube!

Nature: Jolly
Hmm, well, I've never liked Pikachu ever since the first episode, haha, like ever...
Old October 13th, 2013 (08:17 AM).
Hikamaru
and a day ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
The fact that I'm not as big of a fan of the 1st Gen Pokemon compared to most other generations. Maybe I just didn't see Kanto's designs as not colorful enough or cute or something back then, and it was also due to me not playing a Pokemon game until 3rd Gen so I ended up warming up to later generations' Pokemon faster than earlier generations.
Old October 14th, 2013 (04:03 AM).
Nymue
Draconic Neophyte

Nature: Calm
I much prefer the Japanese names of almost all Pokémon. With a couple of exceptions from the first generation (Vaporeon is Showers, Sandshrew is Sand), I think the Japanese names are a million times cooler.

Some examples: Kamex instead of Blastoise. Nyorozo instead of Poliwhirl. Windie instead of Arcanine. Kabigon instead of Snorlax. Yamirami instead of Sableye. Kodora instead of Lairon. Biriridama instead of Voltorb. Etc.
Old October 14th, 2013 (09:41 PM).
Will Crowe

Quote originally posted by Shimmer Mint:
Mega Evolutions are pointless and seem to be a gimmick. Digimon did it first.

Yeah I'm still annoyed with Mega Evolutions. I just think that they weren't needed. Maybe if the designs were cool I would like them more.
Thank GOD someone else thinks this. Also it's kind of insulting to the pokemon who needed ACTUAL evolutions.
Old October 18th, 2013 (03:43 PM). Edited December 31st, 2013 by Atomic Pirate.
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Nature: Impish
-I think Generation 6 is the best generation since Generation 3.

-I hate N.

-The show sucks.

-The metagame is boring, dull, and arduous, and it isn't fun.

-Generation 4 was a disgrace, and the worst generation by far.

-Pikachu sucks.

-Venusaur is the coolest of the original 3 starters.

-Umbreon is hugely overrated and one of my least favorite Dark types.

-People who use version legendaries/Mewtwo/Zygarde/Speed Boost Blaziken/Aegislash online are talentless hacks.

-Charizard X is ugly.

-IVs ruin battling.

-EV training and Super Training are both tedious.

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old October 19th, 2013 (01:00 AM).
CrowSvenson
DarkTrainer

Nature: Lonely
  • I don't like the First Generation
  • Dragon sucks
  • I dislike the Anime
  • Psychic can go screw itself (Thus why I'm a Darktrainer)
  • Blue/Green/Gary is, in my eyes, annoying and obnoxious. Worst rival in the series
  • I LIKE Gen V
Old October 19th, 2013 (10:24 AM).
*Icecold*
Bow down to Queen Meowstic

Nature: Hasty
*clears throat*
  • Mega evolutions are unnecessary little gimmicky Pokemon with terrible designs and are almost exactly like their normal forms. They also ruined the possibility that Pokemon like Banette and Mawile that actually needed evolutions would not get one.
  • Fairy types are just as overpowered as Dragon types. They don't balance anything, they just make a Trainer's life harder.
  • Gen. 5's storyline is utter bull and definitely overrated. Gen. 6's blows it out of water and Gen. 4 annihilates it.
  • Gen. 3 is the second worse generation (worse being Gen. 1) because of its bad mechanics, boring graphics, lazy story and not introducing anything too interesting that I can recall at the time. The biggest reason however is because every other generation minus the first is a lot better than it.
  • I think N only get credit because a large majority of the franchise thinks he's hot. He's not even that cute.
  • Iris's theme is the best champion theme. Yeah, that's right, it's even better than Lance's.
  • Red is more overrated than N is, and that's saying something.
  • Ghetsis gets too much credit and has no personality.
  • The jerky rivals are as bad as the friendly ones.
  • Bibaral is a good Pokemon.
  • Eevee and the majority of its evolutions are definitely overrated and their designs are bland and boring.
  • Gen. 4 is the best generation.
  • Normal is one of the best types ever.
  • Almost every single Pokemon theory is incredibly stupid. For example: Cubone and Kangaskhan are related, Gold and Norman are the same person, Gengar is Clefairy's shadow, N is a Zoroark, etc.
  • A lot of Nuzlocke comics are really generic, terribly written, overrated and trying to hard to be funny.
  • The majority of this fanbase needs to step out of their comfort zone and stop acting so defensive over their opinions.
...and I'm done.

Old October 19th, 2013 (08:25 PM).
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

[I think] Nintendo could have done a much more better generation with the inclusion of more new Pokemon and removal of existing Pokemon and Mega-Evolutions to have a much diverse and separate region. This way people would completely enjoy a new environment with new controls, features and gameplay. Generation 5 was like this on how they had new Pokemon, but I think if you are planning to go all out on 3D for a new generation and game then make it like a fresh start. Granted that X & Y are not as user friendly considering it is not like its preceding game series.

10% of this is thoughtless rambling.
Old October 19th, 2013 (08:38 PM).
manutdrule
Not your cup of tea.

they should have given more pokemon normal evolutions instead of this gimmicky digimon-esque mega evolution we see now

Old October 20th, 2013 (09:21 PM).
Brendino
Strike that. Reverse it.

Nature: Quiet
Reading through this thread and elsewhere, I'm not so sure that disliking the Mega Evolutions is an unpopular opinion, but I don't think it's quite the majority, either. Whatever the case is though, I'm in the camp that thinks they're quite unnecessary, especially when so many other Pokemon could've used actual evolutions instead. I understand that part of it was to interest past players of the franchise by giving them to the more popular Pokemon, but I would've much rather seen ~100 new Pokemon in Kalos (with some regular evolutions of past Pokemon) than 69 + x number of Mega Evolutions.

The only other thing I can think of that might be an unpopular opinion is that the 4th gen games (not including the remakes) were the worst of the bunch so far, though I'm not far enough into Y to give Gen VI a judgement. I never really felt invested in the story, Team Galactic's master plan of recolonizing in space seemed way too farfetched to be a real threat, and the whole region felt like a ripoff of Hoenn (down to the hometown and Pokemon Leagues basically lining up if you laid the maps overtop each other). The biggest positive was all of the good Pokemon it brought, but beyond that, I just didn't like the games.

Moderator of Pokémon General
Old October 25th, 2013 (04:39 PM).
CrashGem

Nature: Adamant
@Knormageddon

You are not alone. I hated gen 5. The region, the starters, the pokemon, all of it.
Old October 25th, 2013 (04:54 PM).
Calamitastrophe
He's really feeling it

Nature: Lax
"The original 151 Pokemon were the most creative. These new Pokemon look like trash. They don't even look like Pokemon."

I've seen people that would swear by this line. I'm not saying gen. 1 was uncreative, but it definitely wasn't the epitome of creativity. Yeah, Frillish is a stupid design and Trubbish is literally trash. They are uncreative, but you know what else is? Voltorb and Magnemite.

So yeah, gen. 1 is pretty cool, and I get that it's some people's favorite. But I don't think (for the most part) newer games are uncreative or rip-offs.
Old October 25th, 2013 (08:37 PM). Edited October 25th, 2013 by xseed.
xseed
Reality? Or a dream?

Nature: Jolly
Gamefreak has gotten lazy

Generation 5 was the worse generation

Team Rocket is the best Villainous team

Generation 1 and 2 has the best main game pokemon story

Chikorita and its evolutions are actually pretty good

Fairy Pokemon are amazing and were a necessary addition to the previous types

pokemon black and white 2 iris has the worse champion theme

pokemon black and white 2 have the worse champion

the battle subway thingie is terrible

I never use legendary pokemon because I feel they make the game feel cheap

Water pokemon are OP and should be nerfed. I mean come on. I still dont get why they made ghost and dark pokemon normally effective against steel now

grass types need less weaknesses.

ice pokemon need more respect lol

I feel that their should be more alternative evolutions like gallade/gardevoir for ex. or more evolutions like say you learn so and so move and be at so and so level and you evolve. normal evolutions are just too plain and boring

I feel that mega evolutions are cheesy. period. and just dont feel right to me....not natural is what I am trying to say.

Old October 25th, 2013 (09:39 PM).
Timbjerr
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Let's see...

- I've always found Sinnoh to be a very boring and disorienting region.
- I honestly believe Ghetsis to be a better villain than Cyrus.
- My favorite games in the series are the Hoenn-based ones.
- My favorite aspect of X&Y is that they only introduced three legendaries, a sharp contrast to the trend of gens III-V.
Old October 25th, 2013 (10:36 PM).
New Eden
Ascension to heaven
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
  • RSE are terrible games. Period. However I think they introduced some of the best designs.
  • RBYl are the best examples of games that have aged abysmally. I also can't play them for more than five minutes before feeling my stomach turn.
  • B2W2 are by far my favourite games in the series.
  • Red is unremarkable. Every protagonist afterward did the same things and more. He was probably only put in to begin with since G/S were meant to be the end of Pokémon.
  • I only want the R/S remakes announced and out because I'm sick of them being hyped up.
  • There's no such thing as a bad rival, and I think we see the bratty and cocky rivals being best because it's what a lot of us were introduced to.
  • Iris is best champion with almost the best theme.
  • I can't stand D/P, yet I enjoy Platinum.

Old October 25th, 2013 (10:58 PM).
Clemstar

There hasn't been a better post game feature since the Battle Frontier (Emerald) - although PWT comes very close to that.
Old October 26th, 2013 (01:38 PM).
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Nature: Naughty
An unpopular Pokémon opinion that I have is one I haven't heard from anyone else.
I'm extremely nostalgic when it comes to my GBA SP that can play GB, GBC, and of course GBA games. I used to own a DS, but recently gave it to my brother since I have more interest in playing my older games than newer ones. He still let's me play when I'm at home sometimes when I feel like it. I like the simplistic 8 - 16 bit graphics on one screen and think some games actually look better than DS ones because of the frame rate. There are Pokémon I like and dislike from every generation, but I appreciate them all. I just wish I could enjoy them on my GBA SP. That's right, I'm not a genwunner, I'm a consolewunner.....
I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old October 30th, 2013 (01:01 PM).
EB
Re: World
Community Supporter Tier 5

Quote originally posted by Flush'd:
I'm sure some people would agree, but I typically don't like starters or legendaries. Every run they're there, and I'm at the point in the old games where I box my starter and faint the legendaries for EVs.
I'm reaching this point as well. It seems that with every generation, the starters become more and more lackluster (maybe they always were, with my eye for aesthetics simply improving with age?).

I still catch legendaries, but I make it purposefully difficult. Right now, I force myself to catch them using only Premier Balls.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links