Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General
Reload this Page Unpopular Pokémon Opinions.

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Old October 30th, 2013 (01:34 PM).

• I hate super training with a passion. It's way to tedious but it's important if you want to do well in battle.
  • Pokemon Amie was a good idea that was poorly executed. It's just as tedious as super training but fortunately not as necessary.
  • I think it was a horrible idea to change existing non-fairy type Pokemon into fairy types.
  • The spinoff games are really underrated.

3DS friend code: 5455-9960-5079
Tumblr
Old November 4th, 2013 (02:37 PM).
the demons in our minds
CS

Nature: Naive
I really wish James and Jessie were long gone. They could have disappeared after Johto, please.

I think the designs of the gym leaders grew worse over the generations. Kanto and Johto had the best, Kalos' are downright awful in some cases. Imo ;)

moderator of
Roleplay Theatre

roleplayer in
Crossroads x Digimon
Titans x Legends

Old November 4th, 2013 (03:16 PM).
The Breaker

Nature: Adamant
Too many pointless "throwaway" Pokemon are made due to "tradition's" sake. Regional rodents, birds, etc. Diggersby with Huge Power is interesting, and Talonflame with Gale Wind is interesting, so I give Gamefreak credit there, but both abilities are hidden.

Too many pointless hurdles. Being forced to trade to get all the Pokemon, egg moves, hidden abilities, etc.

Events. Events are a nice name for DLC. They're already programmed onto the game. If any other company tried to pull that off there'd be hell to pay... oh wait didn't Capcom try to do that recently, I believe there were some repercussions for them. Instead of you having to pay $10 to get unreleased Pokemon, Gamefreak sells the rights to events off to large companies, so those companies can distribute them.
Old November 8th, 2013 (12:01 AM).
authentic cool guy

Nature: Impish
Oooh, this thread I like!

- Generation V was arguably my favorite generation and I think it had very interesting and likable Pokémon designs, not in spite of but because of the strangeness.

- Charizard has a very bland design, especially in comparison to Blastoise or Venusaur.

- Lucario is very overused and uninteresting (actually, this one is increasingly popular), and I think it's a shame that Zoroark will always be overshadowed by it. It's like the Wolverine of Pokémon!

- Cynthia's battle theme is, as far as Champion music goes, the one I like least. Actually, Cynthia in general comes across as... Like, too good a person. She doesn't have the affable casualness of Alder or the antagonistic smugness of Blue or whatever.

- Generation I, despite being my "childhood generation" (though that's stretching it since the first game I actually played was Crystal; still, I watched the show and collected the cards before I had a Gameboy of any kind), is by far my least-favorite.

- Garbodor is Garbodorable.

- N is a creepy sociopathic manchild once you get past his being Captain Hotness. I love that about him, actually, it deconstructs the whole bishonen way in a very effective way! I really did prefer him as a villain, though. I'm just not huge on anti-heroes in general.

- I don't mind detrimental natures, at least in my storyline teams. Part of the challenge is working within limits!

- I love X & Y to death, but they kind of suffer from what Diamond & Pearl did. They have a strange inexplicable feeling of incompleteness, and part of me would prefer a Pokémon Z to patch up the gaps instead of a Pokémon X2 & Y2.

Oh boy I sound so whiny!
Old November 8th, 2013 (02:57 PM).

Eevee, its evolutions, Lucario, Charizard and ALL OF GENERATION THREE are highly overrated, ESPECIALLY Blaziken, and I wish that all of the people clamoring for a Hoenn remake and practically turning "HOENN CONFIRMED" into a meme get a rabid wolverine shoved into their undershorts.

*drops microphone and leaves*
Old November 9th, 2013 (10:31 PM).

Mega evolutions really are pointless. You have the choice to use the mega evolution in a fight or not. But why the hell would you not choose to do it and make your Pokémon stronger this way? Why is there even a choice if everyone knows the player is gonna do it anyway? They really could have just made it a regular fourth evolution. But even then I would find it pointless. 3 forms are enough and I would rather see a new evolution for Pokémon that don't have any, than new evolutions to Pokémon that already have the established maximum of evolutions.

Also without wanting to be a hipster or whatever, but I have to say a lot of popular Pokémon are absolutely overrated. Lucario and Absol for example. I really don't understand why they are so incredibly popular.
I also never really cared for Eevee and its evolutions. Actually playing Y it's the very first time I'm using an Eevee evolution and just because I got an Eevee via wondertrade very early in the game.

On the same note I always refuse to use the "route 1 birds" every generation has. You know, Pidgey in gen 1, Taillow in gen 3, Starly in gen 4, Pidove in gen 5 and Fletchling in gen 6. I always thought these were just boring as hell. (except for Hoothoot in gen 2. Hoothoot is awesome.)

-- Matt
Old November 9th, 2013 (10:42 PM).
ふゆかい

Nature: Quiet
I hate fairy types, I think they just shouldn't be there..
I don't know if that's a reason. lol
Old November 9th, 2013 (11:36 PM).
authentic cool guy

Nature: Impish
Quote originally posted by ~Tentacruel~:
Also without wanting to be a hipster or whatever, but I have to say a lot of popular Pokémon are absolutely overrated. Lucario and Absol for example. I really don't understand why they are so incredibly popular.
This right here, this is what I was trying to say! "You only dislike it because it's popular" is a common defense for this sort of thing, but in a way, it's perfectly valid to dislike something for being popular. I wouldn't have such a beef with Lucario if it weren't shoved down our throats so much. Liking something when it's obscure and disliking it once it's popular, now that's being a hipster... Disliking something for being overrated but truly lackluster isn't too needlessly nonconformist I don't think.
Old November 10th, 2013 (03:51 AM). Edited November 11th, 2013 by Rothometapratis.

I don't like the dual-typing in pokemon. It first started, when they made Bulbasaur half poison. That's the first time it bugged me really hard. Just because it has poison powder in its movepool. It's not that I dislike having moves of different types in a movepool. I dislike the dual-typing. Just decide in which type a pokemon belongs. I know that this is probably an unpopular opinion, but at least make Bulbasaur pure grass again.
Old November 10th, 2013 (05:22 AM).
Sugarbby ::.

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Meeklish
> I hate Sylveon. :c I mean it's alright but why only her? Normally it's either trios or pairs. Gamefreak just used her (it looks like Sylveon's a girl okay) to show off the Fairy type and such.

> I think all those EV/IV training is boring and tiresome. I mean I get the reason of a "perfect dream team" but seriously why do all the math? //Yeah I don't see the "amazing-ness" in competitive play.

> I'm okay with Charizard not having a dragon typing (before they gave him one in a mega evo.. which is just unfair since he's the only one with it ;c Why not the other starters?! Hmp. Haha).

> I actually like Klefki and Honedge's design. :I Annnnnd I'm not a huge fan of Noivern. :I Klefki's animation was pretty cool, with the keys and all. Honedge.. well.. Aegislash. <3 All I see in Noivern is a weird Zubat with speakers.

> I prefer thin Pikachu than the fat one. Yeah.

> I use a masterball for the legendary mascot because it just feels right. xD Except in X and Y; I fully plan to try to capture them using a Pokeball.. or an Ultra ball.

etc., etc.
Old November 25th, 2013 (10:32 PM).
(ju)
Crystal Tier

Mega evolutions are gimmicky, and many of them look kinda stupid and over-designed.

I was horrified when my Aerodactyl sprouted what appears to be a goatee and bushy black eyebrows mid-battle.
Old November 25th, 2013 (11:11 PM).
Amateur Pixel Artist

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald are my least favorite games in the series (I don't dislike them or anything...I just like the other games more).
Old November 25th, 2013 (11:22 PM).

Quote originally posted by Nerakil:
Mega evolutions are gimmicky, and many of them look kinda stupid and over-designed.

I was horrified when my Aerodactyl sprouted what appears to be a goatee and bushy black eyebrows mid-battle.
I agree with this, not any megas I actually like and would rather they added new pokemon instead... especially finally giving Pinsir an evo.

3Ds Friend code: 1778-9934-1564. Let me know and I'll add you back.
Grass Safari: Oddish, Sawsbuck and Gogoat.
Old November 26th, 2013 (10:25 AM).
CS

Bidoof is a pretty cute Pokemon. It's one of my favorite regional early Normal-types and I think it's got a really clever design that's not too overdone or too simple.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 23rd, 2013 (01:13 AM).
the demons in our minds
CS

Nature: Naive
I really don't want any more electric mice or birds, but I wouldn't mind more variants of dog or cat pokémon. Even though there are many of those already.

moderator of
Roleplay Theatre

roleplayer in
Crossroads x Digimon
Titans x Legends

Old December 23rd, 2013 (01:38 PM).
a.k.a. Slimer Joel

I have grown sick-to-death of the entire Kanto storyline. It's extremely boring and prevents me from doing any Nuzlocke runs on it.

Signature by TheDookieIsComing
Old December 23rd, 2013 (02:09 PM).
Pokkens

Nature: Modest
-/vp/ is one of the best places to discuss Pokemon on the internet, besides Pokecommunity of course.

-Garchomp is such a redundant design with all those spikes/edges. Its Mega is even worse, an absolute eyesore even for someone who loves Dragon types.

-Black and White are such a chore to playthrough, just so much dialogue for one to digest. Its story is good, but a little too complex.

-I'd say Diamond and Pearl are the worst games in the series if not for the introduction of Wifi battles. Platinum and HGSS did a lot if good for Gen 4 however. Sinnoh is my least favorite region.

-I cannot play Gen 1 with its original colors, or lack thereof. I have to play Yellow or some hack that recolors the game.

-Gen 5's starters are the worst in my opinion, and apparently that's not unpopular with other Pokemon fans.

-Gen 2 does have a bad level curve, and one that was not improved with HGSS. However, people don't consider that random trainers in Kanto shouldn't have higher leveled Pokemon than the Johto Champion Lance.

-Genwunners are not real pokemon fans. They were pokemon fans, and now they aren't. The love for Charizard is too much, and the hate for Charizard is also too much. Charizard is well-designed pokemon and that's that. Some people only hate Charizard because they just hate Fire types.
MAL
RYM
Old December 23rd, 2013 (02:16 PM).
a.k.a. Slimer Joel

Quote originally posted by GucciMeme:
-Black and White are such a chore to playthrough, just so much dialogue for one to digest. Its story is good, but a little too complex.
-Gen 5's starters are the worst in my opinion, and apparently that's not unpopular with other Pokemon fans.
I must agree with both of these points.

B/W are arguably the second worst of the series in my own opinion.

Signature by TheDookieIsComing
Old December 23rd, 2013 (03:12 PM).

- Don't like Gen 3 games onwards (except FR/LG);
- Don't like the humanoid designs that have started to become "mainstream" since Gen 3;
- Don't like Pokémon following the player (or at least not being able to turn that off);
- Don't like the concept of mega evolutions;
- Don't like the mix of sprites and 3D models. I prefer either one or the other;
- Don't like double (or more) battles;
Old December 24th, 2013 (12:59 AM).
Dragon Power

Nature: Jolly
One thing I found frustrating is the fact of shiny blocking reshiram and zekrom, what's the point of doing that?, it doesn't affect the storyline. I think shiny blocking legends are one of the worst thing to ever do, it's understandable if it's done for pokemon given via wonder card that are not shiny, but, in-game pokemon? come on. Maybe it's not important for much people, but i guess for people who hunt shiny legends it's important.
Old December 24th, 2013 (09:24 AM).
Key To The Truth
Gold Tier

Nature: Gentle
I didn't see how Palika was a Dragon/Water Type. The Mega-Evolution are meh. They can get overpowered at times, BUT all you have to do is throw out the most OP Flying Type there is: Talonflame!

US 3DS Friend Code: 0318-9290-5472
Old December 25th, 2013 (11:16 PM).

*taps mic* Okay, these are mine:

-I like Ash. He's an actual human being who doesn't win every battle his first time because he actually learns and grows as a Trainer. Red is perfect and boring.
-Liking Gen III isn't that unpopular, but I also like IV. And not in an "eh, it's okay" sense; it's probably my second-favorite gen. The music didn't all sound the same, Sinnoh was huge and the diversity of environments showcased this, the overall aesthetic style was cartoony but not awkwardly pixelated (as happens in V and VI when things are too close to the camera), and I enjoyed having actual new areas to explore after beating the game rather than just a Battle Frontier or whatever.
-Pokemon XD is one of the best games of the franchise, even including main-series, and even surpasses Colosseum.
-Team Flare was implemented horrendously. They don't really have a coherent or interesting goal, they show up at random times (often unnoticed by other NPCs), and by God, does their theme ever get old.
-I will probably never have the motivation to breed for natures or IVs. (I do, however, EV-train.)
-Pokemon: The First Movie is the best film of the series, in storyline and delivery as well as action.
-The Smogon community is condescending and unwelcoming beyond easy forgiveness.
-They shouldn't have included Pikachu's cry in X and Y or any of the Pokemon's cries in Super Smash Bros. It just serves as an awkward connection to the anime.
-Pokemon Channel is quite a fun diversion, although not much of a full game.
-While I don't agree with genwunners, I don't happen to mind them. I know what it's like to be nostalgic.
-I have never in my life cared that Charizard isn't Fire/Dragon. Not all flying reptiles have to be dragons; I haven't seen nearly this amount of stink raised about Aerodactyl not being Rock/Dragon (granted, it doesn't have the fiery motif). However, I've never understood why Flygon isn't part-Flying.
-As frustrating as this could make gameplay for serious Pokemon players, I kinda wish it was random which species would hatch from an Egg when its parents were from different species, as well as which moves it would get. Pokemon in general feels too systematic and exploitable to me.
-One of the best additions to X and Y was that treating your Pokemon right actually matters. It feels like a glorious middle-finger to the smug players who train their Pokemon exclusively by formulas and calculations. Enjoy your darn game!

Quote originally posted by SaniOKh:
[*]I think the best thing in Black & White was the complete absence of old Pokémon. I felt like I was discovering the series all over again while playing those games.
YES. I mean, I agree with all of yours, but this one in particular.
Old December 25th, 2013 (11:36 PM).
I Am No One Else

Nature: Calm
Smogon rules suck, and many Smogonites arrogant wimps not worth battling. Of course my opinion on the matter is probably not that unpopular, but it feels like if sometimes.

Join me on IRC, synirc.net #PokemonTactics, for friendly discussions on tactics and strategies.
Old December 26th, 2013 (03:54 PM).

Eh, I'm not sure if I have much in the way of unpopular opinions, but I think I got one: PokeStar Studios in Black2/White2 was a great feature and should've been included in X/Y, and should be included in all future main series games.

Wonder if I got anymore....
Old December 26th, 2013 (04:11 PM).
Knight of Selphia

Nature: Quirky
I like Collosseum's trainer better than the others. I wish he was in other games, too...

"I'll protect you, Lest!" ~Forte
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links