Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 13th, 2013 (12:12 AM).
Lilikoi Juice
I'm on Youtube!

Nature: Jolly
Just wondering which one people prefer here. I prefer watching subbed (subtitled) episodes rather than dubbed.

Pokemon, in particular, require a lot of dubbing because of the pokemon noises that are in the anime. It'd be weird to hear Jigglypuff saying 'puri puri', haha. But Pikachu works out perfectly, of course, haha.

Aside from the fact that I don't need it to be dubbed, I like watching things "raw". Even with foreign movies, I feel the message/emotions get across better when the film/episode is subbed.

That's just me. What about you? ;3
Old October 13th, 2013 (01:12 AM).
krabbypatz93
August Burns Red FTW

When it comes to any anime, I've always preferred watching the subbed version rather than the dubbed. I hardly watch dubbed anime anymore, as I feel like you get a fuller effect that the makers want you to feel when you watch it in Japanese with subtitles, it conveys more feeling than a translated take.

That's just my opinion though. Another reason why is because I like the way the Japanese language sounds, its nice picking up on random Japanese words that I can randomly use in conversation to confuse my friends xD
Old October 13th, 2013 (02:43 AM).
Lilikoi Juice
I'm on Youtube!

Quote originally posted by krabbypatz93:
When it comes to any anime, I've always preferred watching the subbed version rather than the dubbed. I hardly watch dubbed anime anymore, as I feel like you get a fuller effect that the makers want you to feel when you watch it in Japanese with subtitles, it conveys more feeling than a translated take.

That's just my opinion though. Another reason why is because I like the way the Japanese language sounds, its nice picking up on random Japanese words that I can randomly use in conversation to confuse my friends xD
That's what I think too. It's hard to convey the emotional context when the culture is very different because the speaking style and body language is not the same. ;3

But I guess it's easier for some people to watch dubbed shows because not everyone who watches Pokemon can read and you don't have to pay attention to the screen to read the subtitles to understand what is going on. It's a bummer though, because sometimes, certain events or actions don't really make sense when it's watched in this way, haha. But at least they get to watch it!! Pokemon is great!
Old October 13th, 2013 (03:16 AM).
PixieCircle8
Writer // Roleplayer

Nature: Quirky
Subbed lol XD
You see, dubbed version come out late and my country and english dubbing is rather fast and you can watch raw one at youtube, although i prefer wait not too long and got the subbed one. Dubbed is rather,.. rare too now. For past generations, it's hard to find the subbed one and i just take the dubbed one.

But for Kalos and BW, it's likely subbed is coming handy. Raw is handy too if you can understand japanese a bit, japanese is rather easy and Pokemon don't have such a hard word/ sentence so the language is not really far.

@krabbypatz93
LOL XD
Yes, it's good to confuse other (and even tease them) with japanese, although if people around you is an otaku, than it can't do much.

@LillikoiJuice
Well, sometimes english is fast too and still i rather prefer japanese :3

«Pixie Circle!»
Unpaired ☆ Sobta' Brown
Old October 13th, 2013 (07:27 AM).
The Mega Champion
Strategist

Send a message via Skype™ to The Mega Champion
Dubbed.

Because I can't watch anime and read at the same time.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5.

2015 for PS3 & PS4

Old October 13th, 2013 (10:35 AM).
Ryanna Jameson
(( and whisper my name as you do it ))
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Well, I watch raw simply because the subbers aren't up to date with the anime rn. I'd prefer to watch subbed, because I think you get a more accurate dialogue? But I don't really mind dub and will certainly watch it if it's on. And actually I kind of prefer dub for Kanto-Sinnoh just because that's what I'm used to and it doesn't require me to pay as much attention to the screen as I work my way through it.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old October 13th, 2013 (11:05 PM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
RAWs. And sometimes subs but... subbers are taking their sweet time so I go for RAWs.
For movies obviously subbed versions.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old October 13th, 2013 (11:52 PM).
Playful_Weasel
can I have a Pokepuff?
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
RAW for me as well - as the subtitles are just too darn annoying and distracting. I don't mind watching subbed once, but I prefer the original no subs. Helps me better learn the language.

Many dubs don't have the same emotion as the originals.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challengess
Random Challenge - Badges: 8/8 - game: X - Location: defeated Elite 4
Random Challenge - Badges: 7/8 - game: Y - Location: Route 19
50/50 Challenge - Badges 6/8 - Game Y - Location: Dendemille Town/Frost Cavern - haven't continued yet
Old October 14th, 2013 (09:56 PM).
Wobbu
Silt Sunrise

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by The Mega Champion:
Dubbed.

Because I can't watch anime and read at the same time.
Yes, I find it hard to pay attention to the scenes and read the text at the same time. That's why I prefer dub. You can pay attention to the pretty artwork while understanding what's being said. I also had a heck of a time while watching some subbed episodes. The characters would speak faster than I could read their dialogue haha. IMO the dub and sub convey the same emotions.
Old October 14th, 2013 (10:47 PM).
Lilikoi Juice
I'm on Youtube!

Quote originally posted by PersianTrainer:
RAW for me as well - as the subtitles are just too darn annoying and distracting. I don't mind watching subbed once, but I prefer the original no subs. Helps me better learn the language.

Many dubs don't have the same emotion as the originals.
Me too. Take "9000", for example, the whole thing with that was the way it was dubbed. Haha.
Old October 14th, 2013 (11:33 PM).
WhiteKnightL

I prefer dubbed. As it was previously mentioned, I can watch and understand things at the same time if it's dubbed. Some anime are horrid when it's dubbed, but that wouldn't stop me from watching it. Others, like Death Note, are well done with the dubbing. And watching the Behind the Scenes parts on the DVDs made me realize just how fun yet tedious voice acting could be. 15 minutes to get one line right? Geez.....

Subbed is okay too, but seeing as streaming is technically illegal except on certain websites, I just get used to the dubs when they come out. Or when the official sites releases DVDs. I'm actually hoping they never dub Toradora!, unless the cast is excellent.

"You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take the time to imagine the impossible. That maybe you survive." -The Ninth Doctor

I'm a Catholic Whovian who loves to watch anime and read manga, discovering my faith while still trying to to enjoy the things I love. Feel free to PM me for questions or just to chat!

Black 2 file
Palom
FC: 3483 3007 8236
Feel free to add me to trade and/or battle! Could really use some friends in BW2!

Poetry thread (please check it out!): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=310154

My trade thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307887
Old October 22nd, 2013 (04:38 PM).
ShockBlaze
Game Designer

Dubbed, subbed is really annoying to me for some reason...
Old October 22nd, 2013 (04:49 PM).
Ephemeral Euphoria
Wandering Warrior

Nature: Quiet
I try both for whatever anime I start watching and pick my poison after I gauge which voiceover sounds less like a cheese grater to my ear drums than the other.
Old October 22nd, 2013 (06:14 PM). Edited October 22nd, 2013 by DBKHD.
DBKHD
Elite Saiyan

I don't mind dub because it's hard to make a terrible dub when it comes to Pokémon anime, but I prefer sub simply because it's the original source of the show. It's the version you are supposed to be watching, anyway. I also prefer characters' names as well as Pokémon's in Japanese.

It's too bad that Viz Media won't put Japanese with English subtitle on DVD, let alone put dubtitle on it.

Vegetto: "Kakarrot and Vegeta have been combined, so I guess that makes me Vegetto."

Old October 22nd, 2013 (09:13 PM).
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
Dub. I was raised on dubs anime, and I don't like japanese voices much, more annoying. I do watch Detective Conan (Case Closed) subbed, that I can't stand the dub.

I don't mind most dubs. I feel Pokemon/Yugioh do just fine dubbed. I just grown use to their english voices, the sub version of pokemon is too different.

Old October 23rd, 2013 (12:13 AM).
ilias_

I prefer dub. I have watched some sub episodes tho. They are interesting but I like the dub version more 'cause of the English Pokemon names and the names of the characters!

Pokémon X
Friend Safari:
Type: Fire.
Pokémon: Slugma, Magmar & Braixen.
Old October 23rd, 2013 (11:02 PM).
Doctor
& time lord

Nature: Naive
Oh god, sub easily. In my country, everything on TV is in English and subbed into my native language, so watching something in Japanese and reading English subs isn't hard for me.

I always liked the original Japanese voices much more than the English dubs. You lose things when you watch the dub, apparently. Plus, I much prefer to hear "miijuuuu!" than "osha osha oshakjshdjs". Was so disappointed when I first heard Mijumaru's and Pokabu's English voices, haha. For me, the pokémon species are Oshawott and Tepig, sure. But the characters in the anime will probably keep being named Pokabu and Mijumaru in my head xD

It's different with these new Kalos pokémon, since I heard their names in English long before I watched the anime in Japanese.

The Doctor & Amy Pond
Old October 24th, 2013 (09:00 AM).
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

When it comes to pokemon, I prefer dubbed because I can never find a good site with subbed pokemon. Most other animes, I watch sub, but still watch the dub. Also the name of the pokemon are so different it is hard to keep track. I at least for me, because I know mostly every pokemon by memory.
Old October 24th, 2013 (09:16 AM).
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
It has to be dubbed for me because I can not find the subbed one anymore.
Old October 24th, 2013 (09:51 AM).
Zoro
hi
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Zoro
Oh sub definitely! Most of the characters' voices in the dubbed are too high and annoying in my opinion.
Old October 24th, 2013 (11:47 AM).
iTorchwoodi
Waiting for the right Doctor

Nature: Modest
Although the original series i watched in dub i have to say with the Best Wishes it has to be subbed.
At least Ash in this doesnt sound so horse.
And the episode against gym leader Skyla the evolution of tranquill was absolutely beast and the Japanese sounds for pokemon are far better. I do get tired of hearing pokemon use their english cries Tranquil never says its name in japanese but in english it kind of screeches it. Its far to painful
Old October 24th, 2013 (06:01 PM).
Master Trainer Empoleon

Nature: Bold
Dubbed hands down. I'm an American, I don't speak Japanese and I don't listen to it if I don't have to. There are a handful of exceptions though. (Naruto and Fairy Tail for example and that's only because their English dubs are too slow)

Most of the time, Pokemon subbed is really boring to me.

Old October 24th, 2013 (06:32 PM).
Gogoat Rocks!
The Mount Pokémon

Nature: Timid
I like sub WAY better. no questions asked.
the voices sound better than the English ones and I like to guess what they are saying.
Alpha Sapphire(Game + Delta Episode Complete):
Old October 24th, 2013 (10:53 PM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Gogoat Rocks!:
I like sub WAY better. no questions asked.
the voices sound better than the English ones and I like to guess what they are saying.
Guess? You... can't understand what they are saying? Even though Pokemon has such a simple Japanese? Can you enjoy it that way?

Quote originally posted by Curtis talli:
It has to be dubbed for me because I can not find the subbed one anymore.
Huh? PMs are only like 5 episodes behind...

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old October 25th, 2013 (04:11 AM).
Scotash!

If there is a dubbed version of the newer episodes available quick, I'll watch that. If not, subbed. Not to bothered.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links