Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 25th, 2013 (04:58 AM).
Fiza

Nature: Quirky
I like subbed better not only for pokemon but other anime series aswell. It just doesn't sound right to me otherwise
Old October 25th, 2013 (09:39 AM).
Gleam Noiyam
Pop Goes the Gleamsel.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via AIM to Gleam Noiyam Send a message via Skype™ to Gleam Noiyam
Well, I grew up watching the dub, so I know mostly the dub. I tried to watch the sub, it's better in content, while the dub is better with voices for me. So, I prefer both, honestly! I can't turn away from either.
I am fictional, and therefore do not even exist. Current theme. Current obsessions.

Old October 27th, 2013 (04:16 AM).
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
I've been watching dub until now (since that was the one generally available bar internet) and I've just watched a Pokémon Origins special in subs. I can tell it was much more exciting (though I had to glance at the bottom for quite some time, I found it easy after the first few dialogues) and the Japanese voice actors may just be preferable for a more Japanese theme, plus I do think I've a soft spot for all things Asian so I should say I'm going to start preferring subs from now on. (Perhaps Ash's voice could be easy to get used to XD)
Old October 27th, 2013 (02:04 PM).
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

Nature: Careful
Send a message via ICQ to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via AIM to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Yahoo to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Skype™ to InMooseWeTrust
First of all, I don't like the squeaky Japanese girl voice, nor the overly obsessive kawaii-ness in the Japanese voices.

I usually prefer dubs over subs, but I just find a lot of dubs to be horrible. Like Cardcaptor Sakura. Remember how bad that was? For those horrible dubs, I'll watch subbed. But there are a lot of dubs that are actually pretty good, and I don't mind the child-friendly censoring most of the time. Dragonball, Pokémon, Digimon, Excel Saga, Yu-Gi-Oh! and many others had very good dubs. I like how they try to Americanize some things with cultural references and puns and jokes that only make sense in English.

If they just tried to do a raw translation like a lot of fans want, it would sound really awkward and formal (because the jokes and songs don't translate well) like the way educated Japanese people talk in English.

However, I do have one general rule that I always follow:
If I can find it in French, I'll definitely watch it in French because everything sounds better in French.
Old October 30th, 2013 (05:14 AM).
ZetaZaku
AEUG Pilot

I don't really mind dubs that much, unless they are 4kids dubs or DBZ dub. Pokemon dub is in that tier of dubs, so it's kinda bad to me. I watched the Entei movie the other day, and had the "luck" to watch it with dub titles (the subtitles showed what they were saying in the dub). You could quickly tell how different the script was. Like, no wonder people say that the Entei movie is garbage. The dub lines are way too simplified with captain obvious lines and bad puns/breaking 4th wall. Dub: Something like: Oak: "That Ash, he had to go in there." Girl: "Yes, he went to save his mother." While she only said something like "Um...." or "Yeah..." in the Japanese script. It's nothing big, but the writing is bad. Sure, the movie was still bad, but not THAT awful.

So yeah, I prefer the Japanese version, mostly because of the well known and high profile cast. Most gym leaders and guest characters are voiced by popular and respected VAs, like Arti being voiced by Toru Furuya (Tuxedo Mask, Amuro, Yamcha), which really made me love Arti. And Dent was basically Miyano Mamoru (Tamaki, Light) being himself in a way. Dent really doesn't work in English. He might come out quite annoying with his lines, while the Japanese version gives him that funny fabulous feel. Just hearing Miyano Mamoru's "It's tasting time!" and other Enrish lines makes me smile. And Team Rocket is more likeable and less annoying in the Japanese version. But then again, James is voiced by Miki Shinichiro (Urahara, Roy Mustang) and Jessie is voiced by Megumi Hayashibara (Rei from NGE, Faye from Cowboy Bebop).

PM for Happy Hour Smeagles
Old October 31st, 2013 (12:08 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by ZetaZaku:
So yeah, I prefer the Japanese version, mostly because of the well known and high profile cast. Most gym leaders and guest characters are voiced by popular and respected VAs, like Arti being voiced by Toru Furuya (Tuxedo Mask, Amuro, Yamcha), which really made me love Arti. And Dent was basically Miyano Mamoru (Tamaki, Light) being himself in a way. Dent really doesn't work in English. He might come out quite annoying with his lines, while the Japanese version gives him that funny fabulous feel. Just hearing Miyano Mamoru's "It's tasting time!" and other Enrish lines makes me smile. And Team Rocket is more likeable and less annoying in the Japanese version. But then again, James is voiced by Miki Shinichiro (Urahara, Roy Mustang) and Jessie is voiced by Megumi Hayashibara (Rei from NGE, Faye from Cowboy Bebop).
You forgot Aoi Yuuki (Madoka) voicing Iris, Miyuki Sawashiro and Yui Horie voicing some random CotD =D And... not to forget Yuuki Kaji (Eren Jaëger) voicing Clemont. But I agree with you, this shows how Pokemon anime is important since prominent seiyuus don't decline offers to voice Pokemon characters =)

Now I only want HanaKana and anime would be perfect.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old October 31st, 2013 (05:08 AM).
amerininja
The Pokemon Professor

Nature: Brave
I used to always watched dubbed until I watched the first pokemon movie in origional japanese they took alot out of the intro for the american release.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old October 31st, 2013 (06:06 AM).
Venitardus
Breeder

Send a message via Skype™ to Venitardus
I prefer subbed version of Pokémon. But most anime I prefer the subbed over the dubbed
Old October 31st, 2013 (03:10 PM).
[Lucian]
KANTO Champion

Nature: Relaxed
Dubbed, although I don't mind subbed, I just prefer dubbed.
Old November 1st, 2013 (02:55 AM).
Rainflower
분홍신

I always prefer Japanese dub (with English sub) to the English dub. My native language isn't English or Japanese either but hearing them speak in their original language simply sounds better to me.

It's hard to find the subbed videos with original Japanese dub here though, which makes me sad : (

currently playing: pokemon omega ruby
Old November 1st, 2013 (12:38 PM).
Sheep
pretty princess

Nature: Timid
I'm in the sub boat. I prefer a lot of the voices they pick for the Japanese cast and have yet to get used to Ash's "new" voice that they brought in many years ago. That probably won't ever change.

da best | family | my star | twin
Old November 8th, 2013 (01:13 PM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Dubbed. I've been watched the dubbed version since the anime first started in America, and when I learned about the subbed version years later I just couldn't be bothered. In general though, I tend to watch more of the dubbed version of an anime (if they're available) than with subtitles. I just prefer focusing on the main action and the subtle things in the background or character expressions than reading what's at the bottom (or top!) of the screen.
Old November 8th, 2013 (07:17 PM).
RoreyG
Lizardon Man

Nature: Adamant
I would say the subbed version, but most of the subs I get are poorly translated to the point where its just barely coherent.

Because of easier access, I would say the dubbed version.

Old November 8th, 2013 (09:33 PM).
latias190

Nature: Quiet
Sub.
I can't stand some voice actors in dubs. But some dubs are good, like Castle in the Sky. The dub for that is pretty good. The sub version sounds weird to me.
Old November 8th, 2013 (09:56 PM).
Batty

Nature: Bold
I think a lot of the English voice actors for the Pokemon sound a bit silly, I also think too many of the female characters sound too similar, not nessecarily the same voice actress but they seem either coached to do a soft but preppy girly tone or a raspy voice.
And did any of you hear Bonnie/Eureka in English? She sounds way, way to old.

Still, I prefer the dubbed version because I don't like subtitled blocking that small part of the picture.
Old November 11th, 2013 (06:07 AM).
Pike Queen
La Exorcista

I used to prefer the dub back when it was done by 4Kid's, but now I prefer to watch the sub. I just can't get used to the new dub. >.<

Banner made by a friend on another forum!

"What an excellent day for an exorcism."

If you play Mario Kart Wii or Brawl online, let meh know!
Old November 11th, 2013 (08:29 AM).
Melfice

Send a message via Skype™ to Melfice
I used to watch dub, but now I mainly watch sub because it comes out sooner and I like hearing the original Japanese voices. Some of the dub voices I don't really like.
Old November 11th, 2013 (11:16 AM).
Arrow
I'd like to be a tree :3

Nature: Jolly
Dubbed by far. It's extremely hard for me to focus on the anime and the words at the same, but I usually end up watching the sub as well because it's up first. I don't like waiting for it to be dubbed.

Friend Safari: Grass - Tangela, Sawsbuck, Quilladin
Shinies: Luvdisc (X), Clawitzer (X), Poliwhirl (X), Foongus (X), Dialga (X), Palkia(X), Giratina (X), Sneasel (X), Mawile (X), Lillipup (X), Cyndaquil (SS)

Old November 22nd, 2013 (04:58 AM).
BossBattle
Legend Hunter

Although I watch most of my anime subbed, I prefer the dubbed for Pokemon as I grew up watching the series that way.

The XY anime dubbed is sounding alright to me so far. I don't mind the wait for subsequent episodes to be dubbed, since I'll be plenty occupied with breeding and hitting up the Battle Maison in preparation for the Pokebank release.

Old November 30th, 2013 (08:09 PM).
Demigod
umop ap!sdn

I grew up watching the dubbed version but when I watched the subbed version I liked it better.
Old November 30th, 2013 (08:17 PM).
Aquacorde
■ UHC ■
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Bonus question time! Do you judge people based on their preferred version? I know we'd all like to say we don't, but there are certainly people who are original-elitist and others who are dub loyal. So what do you think about people who choose to watch the version you don't?
Old November 30th, 2013 (09:27 PM).
Wobbu

Quote originally posted by Anna:
Do you judge people based on their preferred version?
Bonus answer time! I judge them positively. I'm slightly jealous of those who watch the subs. They get to watch episodes weeks before they are released in English. I'd watch the subs if it weren't for me being so tied up in the dub BW right now/XY being dubbed soon.
Old December 1st, 2013 (01:28 PM).
Pumpkaboo
Peek-a-boo

Raw over subbed, because there are times when I'm reading the subs and the way it's translated bothers me.

Though I prefer raw over the dub as well due to the changes and how they seem to make Ash even dumber than he already is. The voices grate on me sometimes as well, especially Iris and James for example. I do watch and enjoy the dub however!

I don't judge people who watch raw/sub/dubs as long as you aren't watching the god awful subs
Old December 1st, 2013 (03:42 PM).
darkredwing

I'd rather it be dubbed, but some of the voice acting in the translations are just soooo bad, so I tend to watch more subbed as a result. But as Pumpkaboo said the way they do some of the translations, both subbed and dubbed, or just plain bad. That may be what the literal translation, but my god no one would actually talk like that.This happens in games as well.

For example I was playing a translated Visual Novel Called 'Eien no Aselia' love the story but there was one part where they were talking about something blowing up, but instead of saying things like 'it will explode' or 'we'll all be blown up' they said We'll be 'blown away'. Any time they referred to the explosion it would always be 'blown away'. It just felt odd to me, clearly lost in translation haha.

3Ds Friend code: 1778-9934-1564. Let me know and I'll add you back.
Grass Safari: Oddish, Sawsbuck and Gogoat.
Old December 5th, 2013 (10:34 AM).
Pumpkaboo
Peek-a-boo

Quote originally posted by darkredwing:
I'd rather it be dubbed, but some of the voice acting in the translations are just soooo bad, so I tend to watch more subbed as a result. But as Pumpkaboo said the way they do some of the translations, both subbed and dubbed, or just plain bad. That may be what the literal translation, but my god no one would actually talk like that.This happens in games as well.

For example I was playing a translated Visual Novel Called 'Eien no Aselia' love the story but there was one part where they were talking about something blowing up, but instead of saying things like 'it will explode' or 'we'll all be blown up' they said We'll be 'blown away'. Any time they referred to the explosion it would always be 'blown away'. It just felt odd to me, clearly lost in translation haha.
My main problem with subs is that the only group who does it decently for Pokemon (PM, since Eeveetaku rarely release anything) has a god awful type setting. Which for people with sight issues makes it near impossible to read what they've written. Case in example, they give Meowth Yellow text with a white border. So even if the subs are close to as accurate as possible, they're really stupidly done.

Sponsored Links