The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 19th, 2013, 10:50 AM
BadSamaritan
Its time for overtime

Advertise here
[EDIT: sorry for not putting "question" in the title, I always forget]

Hi guys, I've been stuck on a seemingly simple coding issue for a few hours. I just need the down and up buttons to scroll through the menu at the bottom right.

Code:
  def pbNextIndex(curindex)
    if Input.trigger?(Input::LEFT) && (curindex&1)==1
      return curindex-1
    elsif Input.trigger?(Input::RIGHT) &&  (curindex&1)==0
      return curindex+1
    elsif Input.trigger?(Input::UP) &&  (curindex&2)==2
      return curindex-2
    elsif Input.trigger?(Input::DOWN) &&  (curindex&2)==0
      return curindex+2
    end
    return curindex
  end
I'm not very code savvy, so I tried to make sense of it and tried various number/button combos, but nothing came to fruition. I'm sure it's because the original menu does not scroll all the way through, but alas I can't figure it out.

Any help would be awesome, because the system works 100% otherwise.
Old October 19th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Now that I look at it, it's a bit odd how the battle commands work. Rather than using the perfectly valid built-in controls, it instead made the new def pbNextIndex to do the exact same thing.

Actually, it's probably a remnant from an older way it used to work, before it used Window_CommandPokemon. I'm not sure how it all makes sense, as it appears that both ways are working at once.

Anyway, try this:
Code:
def pbNextIndex(curindex)
  if Input.trigger?(Input::UP)
    return (curindex+3)%4
  elsif Input.trigger?(Input::DOWN)
    return (curindex+1)%4
  end
  return curindex
end
The only downside to this is that this also applies to the fight menu. If you wanted that to be a straight list too, then problem solved, but if you wanted it to be 2x2, you'd have to do something extra to keep it the way it is.

Last edited by Maruno; October 20th, 2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old October 20th, 2013, 03:35 PM
BadSamaritan
Its time for overtime

Ah that makes a lot of sense. I was wondering why, when I would have completely removed or changed a button input, that somehow the game was still interpreting me pressing them somehow haha.

And yes, I've created a "pbNextIndexnew" already, to avoid confliction.(though making the attack menu vertical isn't a bad idea for my purposes)

Anyways, the code works. It's worth noting for anyone else who wants to use this to make sure to add the "def" at the start, and also the UP and DOWN directions are flipped.

Thanks again for the help
Old October 20th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Are you sure the up and down parts are the wrong way round? Looks to me like they should be fine.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here