Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 9th, 2013 (08:13 AM). Edited November 9th, 2013 by Para-Dox.
Para-Dox

Personally I use Windows 8.1 on my main laptop. IT runs very well and I like the Metro parts of it very well. The charms are quite helpful and hybrid boot helps make the boot up time much faster.

I use android on my phone (4.1, Huawei Y200) and tablet (4.3, Nexus 7 2012).

So what operating systems do you use? Are you thinking of upgrading to a different one? And do any of you use a linux distro?
Old November 9th, 2013 (08:49 AM).
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I use Windows 7 on my laptop and Ubuntu 13.10 on my desktop. My phone is running Paranoid Android 3.99 rc2 which is Android 4.3 and my tablet is the same as well.
Old November 9th, 2013 (10:22 AM).
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Android 4.1.2 on my galaxy note II. Windows 8 on my laptop.

WHIRL ISLANDS' FINEST (PKMN SHOP)
MY TRADE REVIEW THREAD
XY/ORAS FRIEND CODE: 3969-4824-9126

Old November 9th, 2013 (10:39 AM).
awolfsquared
Goomy is love, Goomy is life.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
My computer is a Windows 7 and it's my family's computer. Kind of stinks sharing a computer but I'll deal with it till I can buy a laptop of my own. When I do get a laptop of my own, I'm most likely gonna be forced (in a way) to get Windows 8 cause there's barely any Windows 7s out there anymore (in stores that is) and Macbooks are a bit too expensive for my taste. When I had an iPod Touch I think the OS was iOS 4.2.1 since that's the highest upgrade a 2nd gen iPod Touch can go up to unfortunately.
#704 Goomy
Supporter Collab January 2015
tumblr | ask me things
paired to hikamaru
Old November 9th, 2013 (01:34 PM).
MKGirlism
3DS and Wii U Game Developer

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to MKGirlism
On the PC/Tablet side, I'm using Arch Linux, OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), Windows 8.1, and Windows 7, depending on what I do.
On my Tablet, I most likely open up Arch Linux, and preferably use the Awesome Window Manager (that's how it's called), where I can use the entire OS, using just my Keyboard.
I only use Windows 8.1 on it when making invoices.
My iMac runs purely OS X 10.9.
My Mac Mini and MacBook Pro both run Windows 7, as they're my Nintendo Development Environments.

I run Android 4.3 on my Phone, and I'm looking whether I want to switch to Windows Phone 8, or to iOS 7.x, but I think it'll be Windows Phone 8.
Old November 9th, 2013 (02:28 PM). Edited November 28th, 2013 by pokemasta92.
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Nature: Naughty
My laptop computer is a HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC that's running Windows 7 Home Premium.

My MP3 player is a black 16GB iPod Touch (4th Generation) that's running iOS 6.1.3.

My basic slider cell phone is a Samsung Brightside that's running Brew Mobile Platform 1.0.2.
I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old November 9th, 2013 (03:22 PM).
Tsutarja

Nature: Jolly
Both my laptop and my desktop run Windows 7. My server runs Windows Server 2003 SP1 (going to upgrade it sooner or later, just lazy). My tablet runs Android 4.3 Jellybean (Nexus 7!) and my iPod Touch 4G runs iOS 6.1.3.
Old November 9th, 2013 (04:10 PM).
Sheep
sheeple sheeple

Nature: Timid
OS X here. I have a Windows 7 Professional partition as well but it's mostly for games and I've not logged into it for a month or two now. Parents' computer has Windows Vista.. ugh. :(

da best | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 LV
Old November 9th, 2013 (10:44 PM).
Starry Windy
Show Your Victory!
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
My new laptop runs Windows 8, and my PC have Windows xp as its OS, and I have Android 2.2 for my phone.

PC | SPC | PC Battle Server | Gold | Hello World | My Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog
Old November 9th, 2013 (11:41 PM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

W7 on older laptop and W8 on the newer one. I won't update on W8.1 'cause it has Start Button.
I'll probably update on W8.2 if it does happen and will have the choice to hide Start Button =D
And my tablet runs Android 4.0

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old November 9th, 2013 (11:50 PM).
Dark Sneasel
I like being a drone.
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Sadly I have Vista 32-bit, which is terrible, and pretty much useless for rom hacking.

Join Poketch.com, a new ROM hacking community! Click on the image for more!
Old November 10th, 2013 (01:07 AM).
Peitharchia
& having to receive it

On my main computer, I'm running Ubuntu with Unity desktop environment. I used to have GNOME, but decided to dump it; I just didn't like how complicated it was. ): I may give it another try, though. Lots of changes have been made to it during the last few months, such as the merge of window title-bars and menu-bars. Click here if you want to see what I'm talking about. Looks quite beautiful, doesn't it? On my secondary computer, I have OSX Leopard installed; it's an iBook G4. I bought it years ago, and it's still in new condition. I take this computer with me whenever I go somewhere far. My parents' computer runs Windows 8, but I don't use it at all--I dislike the operating system. My phone's got Android 4.3, and iPad has the latest version of iOS. Out of these devices, I use iPad the most. I love how light it is, and its interface is just eeee. <3
Old November 10th, 2013 (01:32 AM).
MKGirlism
3DS and Wii U Game Developer

Send a message via Skype™ to MKGirlism
Honestly, I don't like the Unity Desktop Environment, it's really bloated, and it feels like a Mobile Interface.
I have used Gnome 3 on Arch Linux, it's a bit better than Unity, but it still has that Mobile Interface feeling.
I could have switched to KDE, but it's even more bloated than Unity and Gnome 3 together.
That's why I chose Awesome.
Awesome is not a Desktop Environment (it's a Window Manager), and it allows me to use most Apps side-by-side (meaning I can see all Apps running in one view), it comes with 9 Desktops by default, and no Mouse is required (meaning less chance on RSI).
Old November 10th, 2013 (02:20 AM).
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
on my laptop I am running windows 8 and on the desktop I am running windows 7.
Old November 10th, 2013 (07:59 AM).
Axeliira
<< p u l s e s >>

Nature: Brave
Windows 8 for me. Still haven't really upgraded to 8.1 yet but I refuse to. xD I'm perfectly fine with 8.

Old November 10th, 2013 (08:50 AM).
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I have some issues with my laptop and I'm probably going to have to redo my OS... Pondering if I should upgrade to 8.1 now or not haha.
Old November 10th, 2013 (09:20 AM).
Kyrul
Long Live The Note
Community Supporter

When I bought my new Alienware earlier this year I told them to put Windows 7 on it. I don't like change.
Old November 10th, 2013 (04:49 PM). Edited November 10th, 2013 by latias190.
latias190

Nature: Quiet
I'm running Linux Mint on my laptop that came with Windows 7.
I dislike Windows.
Old November 10th, 2013 (08:47 PM). Edited November 10th, 2013 by Cassino.
Cassino
.303 British

Nature: Serious
So what operating systems do you use?
I've proven to be one of the more abiding users of Windows XP. My primary laptop runs Windows 95.

Are you thinking of upgrading to a different one?
Well, that's a funny question, and depends upon what is considered to be an upgrade. For me, personally, there's nothing better than XP; but, yes, I have pondered upon what I stand to gain and lose by moving on to Windows 7 or Linux.

And do any of you use a linux distro?
Despite my previous sentence, I don't even know the first real thing about Linux. Nor where to start learning, if there's anyone willing to help with that...
Old November 11th, 2013 (01:09 AM).
Brendino
Thank you Marty!

I'm running Windows XP on my computer, and much like Cassino, if I had to upgrade I wouldn't mind going with Windows 7 (don't really like the Windows 8 on my sister's laptop), but I'm still a fan of XP. It wouldn't surprise me if I have to upgrade in the near future though, as my computer's getting pretty old at this point. I'm also running iOS 6.1.3 on my iPod Touch, which is the final update available for it.
Old November 11th, 2013 (01:46 AM).
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
Family Computer: Windows 8 (I don't mind it, I prefer it sometimes.)
My Laptop: Windows 7
My Phone: Droid 4 with Android 4.1.2, once I get a new phone (Moto X) this week 4.2.2 (With a 4.4 update really soon.)
My Tablet: Nexus 10 with 4.3, soon with 4.4.
I haven't rooted and rom'd in a long time. Not worth the trouble anymore.

Old November 11th, 2013 (04:00 AM).
Batty

Nature: Bold
Before my computer broke, I used a Windows 8. I'll be getting either XP or Windows 8 his Christmas.
Old November 11th, 2013 (04:33 AM).
Dakotah
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotah
I use Windows 7 on my notebook computer and Ubuntu Linux on my desktop (main) computer.

Dark-Type Safari

Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old November 11th, 2013 (09:08 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Let's see...

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 on my laptop. Windows 8.1 had a very bad time with regard to drivers and hardware with my laptop - I ended up having to recover it to factory condition to get a working machine. Good thing, too, as my boot times has also improved by over 75% even with the same software set. Must have been a messed-up system.

The Microsoft Surface (having now lost the RT moniker) runs Windows RT 8.1, and I feel just fine, even though there was a chance that a failed update could soft-brick my device due to the fact that I did it as soon as it went live. I don't regret upgrading it to 8.1.

My smartphone is stranded on Windows Phone 7.8. I'm thinking of getting a new phone pretty soon, but since it still works and does what it did 1 year ago, I think it can wait.
Old November 11th, 2013 (10:24 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
My laptop is currently running on Windows Vista and is quickly approaching five years since I bought it. Eventually I want to save up some money and upgrade to a MacBook Pro. My iPad is running on iOS 7 though, and I love it.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links